Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ok for a slightly different take I’ve seen some interesting things done to big toothy fish like a pike where they lop off the head and stick a beer can in the mouth then let it dry in the sun until it mummifies, remove the can and then shellac with multiple coats then mount it on a wall.

Kinda cool in a very diy way and you get to eat it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I mean so long as you eat the fish, if you want to go all etsy with the rest of it that's cool by me.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

LingcodKilla posted:

Ok for a slightly different take I’ve seen some interesting things done to big toothy fish like a pike where they lop off the head and stick a beer can in the mouth then let it dry in the sun until it mummifies, remove the can and then shellac with multiple coats then mount it on a wall.

Kinda cool in a very diy way and you get to eat it.

A skull mount for a big predator like a pike or muskie would be cool as gently caress but I shudder to think how fiddly and delicate it would be to clean

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

prom candy posted:

Trophy mounting fish kind of sucks. I dunno I feel like a bit of a hypocrite because I definitely am killing some fish doing mainly c&r but I feel like you should either be eating a fish or doing what you can to keep it alive. If you catch a real trophy fish you can get replicas made with measurements and photos.

Someone can feel free to tell me I'm wrong and dumb here.

I am in the same boat as you, but I think there’s still a large chunk of the fishing population that doesn’t know you can get a replica mount made if you take some decent pictures and measurements.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

DoctaFun posted:

I am in the same boat as you, but I think there’s still a large chunk of the fishing population that doesn’t know you can get a replica mount made if you take some decent pictures and measurements.

Yeah I didn’t know I could do that. Seems a little less...... genuine than the real thing, though, I dunno.

I come from redneck country, so mounting a trophy hunting/fishing animal isn’t considered monstrous according to my upbringing.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 26, 2019

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

They're called panfish for a reason!

Now this is an interesting human specimen.

This sounds really loving fun. Also your boat is rad and you catch really nice fish!

It is extremely fun, especially on LOTW because it has a ‘working mans bite’ as they call it. The stained water means the walleyes eat more during the day than at night. It truly doesn’t pay off to get up mega early and go fishing , so sleep in and fish the day and don’t feel bad about having a few dozen stones and getting a bit rowdy at night.

It’s a pretty unique experience, ride out 10 miles in a homemade track van that they fabricate themselves, with a bunch of other fishermen. Heated van ride, heated shacks, I’ve been up there when it’s legit -30F and it’s perfectly comfortable.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah I didn’t know I could do that.

Totally understandable for a new fisher person!!!!

Don’t feel bad about it at all, just feel good in the future if you ever catch a true trophy knowing you can let it swim away.

And it’s a good reason to carry a soft measuring tape in your backpack/tackle box, that way you can get length and forth measurements should you ever need to.

And nice fish!!! I need to get better at finding crappies on open water, one of my favorite types of fish to catch....and eat.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

the yeti posted:

A skull mount for a big predator like a pike or muskie would be cool as gently caress but I shudder to think how fiddly and delicate it would be to clean

Skulls are loving impossible. I like the dessicated idea but I always forget and quite frankly get hungry for the lingcod cheeks.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Yeah I didn’t know I could do that. Seems a little less...... genuine than the real thing, though, I dunno.

I come from redneck country, so mounting a trophy hunting/fishing animal isn’t considered monstrous according to my upbringing.

I live deep in the woods on a dirt road that is the local dump spot for deer that have their antlers/heads chopped off while the rest of the meat rots and I find that pretty monstrous. This is not usually the case as most hunters want the meat because it's good as hell, but I still see just whole headless deer there sometimes - not even gutted so there wasn't even an attempt. At least the buzzards get a meal I guess.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 26, 2019

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

If you're going to eat it, ok. But if not, be a bro and let someone else catch that hog too.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

"But if someone else catches MY fish, it lessens the value it has to me. Value is only created when things are consumed/removed instead of shared with others."

-- Summary of what someone I sometimes go fishing with told me. I was honestly surprised that they were even able to express why exactly they were so adamant on trying to mount their fish and how cruelly nuanced it was.

Further note: They had caught 3 nice sized largemouth in the past with intent to mount. Two were never mounted and thrown away/left to rot. One was mounted but he never picked it up from the taxidermist or maybe he pawned it; he definitely doesn't have it now.

(I actually don't know what you do with fish until you have them mounted. Put them in the freezer?)

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 26, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wow some people are not right in the head

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Sounds like your friend may have issues mounting more than just fish, if you catch my meaning.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

when you catch a pb, it grants you 3 wishes right? just wish for a non-compete on that fish

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Enigma posted:

Sounds like your friend may have issues mounting more than just fish, if you catch my meaning.

A lot of "sportsmen" in my area are like this. A lot are also huge cop supporters but loving hate game wardens.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
me, to my pb as its being caught by someone else: wow i thought we had something special

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
and now i find you just hopping on this other guy's rod?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Wire forms and hooks arrived for spinners today! :toot:

Unperson_47 posted:

A lot of "sportsmen" in my area are like this. A lot are also huge cop supporters but loving hate game wardens.

Poachers are scum and poacher sympathizers are hardly better.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wire forms and hooks arrived for spinners today! :toot:

Found that 6oz diamond bar pattern in the catalog. Since chroming won’t be an option I think white paint will be fine. I’ll buy you the form before I leave the states.

I’m really intrigued by some of those small jigs especially the one that force the rubber straight up when they hit the bottom.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Unperson_47 posted:

"But if someone else catches MY fish, it lessens the value it has to me. Value is only created when things are consumed/removed instead of shared with others."

-- Summary of what someone I sometimes go fishing with told me. I was honestly surprised that they were even able to express why exactly they were so adamant on trying to mount their fish and how cruelly nuanced it was

:catstare: That's the tone and banal selfishness of a genuinely hosed up individual right there.

Re: keeping trophies in general, couldn't you make the argument that trophy sized females, represent a big hit to the local breeding population compared to say deer, where the trophies are always male?

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I couldn't restrain myself this trip to the fishing shop, and walked out with a martin fly fishing kit that was dirt cheap. Cant wait to tie myself into a stress position trying to learn to cast it!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

the yeti posted:

:catstare: That's the tone and banal selfishness of a genuinely hosed up individual right there.

Re: keeping trophies in general, couldn't you make the argument that trophy sized females, represent a big hit to the local breeding population compared to say deer, where the trophies are always male?

Yeah with lingcods the huge hogs are always females. Better to catch and release 30lb+ mamas and keep the 15lb males to eat. Better meat overall and less parasites.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Found that 6oz diamond bar pattern in the catalog. Since chroming won’t be an option I think white paint will be fine. I’ll buy you the form before I leave the states.

I’m really intrigued by some of those small jigs especially the one that force the rubber straight up when they hit the bottom.

Chroming isn't so much an option, but the fluxed lead is pretty shiny when it's fresh. You might be able to get away with a clear coat to prevent it the metal from oxidizing, especially since a lot of those add UV shine too.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Do you have molds for nail weights for nekos?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

Do you have molds for nail weights for nekos?

I don't have one, but they exist. Do-It makes a Worm Nose Sinker mold that seems like it would fit the bill.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Chroming isn't so much an option, but the fluxed lead is pretty shiny when it's fresh. You might be able to get away with a clear coat to prevent it the metal from oxidizing, especially since a lot of those add UV shine too.

Oooh that’s a solid idea.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

the yeti posted:

On a more basic level, I just can't stand when people waste things without caring.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 27, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Has anyone ever used foam blocks or pool noodles as a kayak roof rack long term? Really tempted to get a kayak but I don't want to shell out an extra $500 on a roof rack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

prom candy posted:

Has anyone ever used foam blocks or pool noodles as a kayak roof rack long term? Really tempted to get a kayak but I don't want to shell out an extra $500 on a roof rack.

Yeah and it sucks butt if you dont have a second person to keep them from rolling up. I usually just throw it in the back of my truck but I’m going to buy a cheap used harbor friegt trailer to turn into a kayak hauling platform. Light enough I could pull it with my mazda2.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Unperson_47 posted:

On a more basic level, I just can't stand when people waste things without caring.

You're in good company here.

Gooch181 posted:

I couldn't restrain myself this trip to the fishing shop, and walked out with a martin fly fishing kit that was dirt cheap. Cant wait to tie myself into a stress position trying to learn to cast it!

Go on ...

A Pack of Kobolds fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 27, 2019

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

catch and release all day every day (except for the occasional bream or shad or pinfish that ends up becoming cut bait, RIPD and feed your stupid gilled pals)

Dumb DIY time: a recent beach trip had me getting annoyed the same way I do every year about something: that it's so goddamn hard to keep the more delicate baitfish in a 5 gallon bucket for more than 8 hours or so, no matter how well aerated. Also my dumb bubble donut kept coming unstuck from the bottom and ending up in my net, and missing the baitfish I wanted because the air tube wrapped around the net. My insulated 1 gallon bucket was too drat small for them and I couldn't afford those kickass $65 insulated bait coolers.

So, one $15 or so trip to Walmart later, I was prepared to convert an old cooler that could comfortably hold 3 gallons of water without sloshing out (which is about as much as you could put in the bucket and comfortably carry) into an insulated, aerated bait bucket. The cooler came from an old hoarder neighbor who threw it out, but even after thoroughly sanitizing it I never trusted it.

The tools:

Two 5" aquarium air stones, mounted with two-sided Extra Tough Gorilla Tape. Air hoses run through desktop cord organizers also mounted with the two-sided tape.

Considered just screwing some picture brackets in to hang my aerator; decided that may compromise the insulate and wiggle loose quick. Enter some Scotch super-strength velcro that lives up to the name

Holy poo poo did I do a lovely job with the sealant filling the gaps

Hooray it works
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCsAHgwigDc

Thank you for attending my TED Talk

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

LingcodKilla posted:

Yeah and it sucks butt if you dont have a second person to keep them from rolling up. I usually just throw it in the back of my truck but I’m going to buy a cheap used harbor friegt trailer to turn into a kayak hauling platform. Light enough I could pull it with my mazda2.

What if you run ratchet straps through the noodles to attach them to your car first? Same problem? I was looking at a couple of fat noodles and some straps, or something more like this as a pre-designed solution: https://www.amazon.ca/SportRack-SR5527-Adjustable-24-Inch-Carrier/dp/B00BCLKZQA

The only other concern I have is my car has one of those shark fin radio antennas, not sure if that'll be an issue

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

prom candy posted:

Oh I've heard Belize is great, never would've thought of it for fishing though

It's got incredible reef fishing, and during migrations, the trophy fishing is spectacular.

Fishing in the reef edges for snapper and smaller grouper is stupidly fun - and sometimes guides will let you dive for lobsters as well!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Having a fine sunny day in the river! Dink white crappies and green sunfish are slamming today, and we're staying cool butt deep in the river. A good way to kill an afternoon

Brought the perfect picnic lunch of roast beef sandwiches, Arizona tea, and herr's jalepeno poppers

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 27, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Crabbing on the Puget Sound was nice this morning. Caught 4 big snippy boys so dinner tonight is gonna be good. Last weekend I’ll be able to crab since I’ll be busy on the final weekend of our short one month season.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am still jazzed about catching that bass and want to catch another.

There was a HUGE largemouth in that lake that I and several other people at the dock failed to catch when I was there yesterday. I want to go morning fishing again and see if I can get it, assuming it’s still there.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

How much does time of day really matter for fishing, specifically for:

1. Trout in a slow-ish new england river
2. Panfish in ponds in the same area.

Just curious about if I should only really be bothering at all to go out and fish at dawn/dusk or if its realistic to go in the afternoons etc or if its going to be so much worse not to bother.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Most fish don’t like hanging out in bright light. Air predators can see their outline. So dusky morning the trout should be in shallow water and go deeper when the sun comes out/heat the water.

Or so I’ve heard. Fish are weird.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

LingcodKilla posted:

Most fish don’t like hanging out in bright light. Air predators can see their outline. So dusky morning the trout should be in shallow water and go deeper when the sun comes out/heat the water.

Makes sense.

My area of the river is at least permanently shaded except in winter. I wonder if that affects it at all or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

LingcodKilla posted:

Don’t fish need to move to shallower water in hot weather to get oxygen?