Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
Important question: how do you do emotes/poses? I didn't know there were any in this game, but I was playing with some Japanese randoms last night and while we were waiting for a scripted event to kick off the beginning of a mission, the fencer in the group did this ballin pose:

I didn't hit the screenshot button in time so this is him getting back up from the pose but he was layin down all cool and poo poo. I need to know how to style on dead bugs please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Air raider in mp doesn't lack damage, it's just awkward damage

You're really good at killing "a big group of bugs" or "exactly one thing" but "exactly 4 bugs right next to you" is the ultimate Achilles heel.

If big dudes are dodge rolling out of your spritefalls I recommend tagging them with an autocannon (or better, a minigun) first, the stagger will hold them in place while the beams melt them

Also just, like, get 4 or 5 big guys in the radius of 1 spritefall. 2 or 3 of them aren't going to roll out.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Bloodplay it again posted:

Important question: how do you do emotes/poses? I didn't know there were any in this game, but I was playing with some Japanese randoms last night and while we were waiting for a scripted event to kick off the beginning of a mission, the fencer in the group did this ballin pose:

I didn't hit the screenshot button in time so this is him getting back up from the pose but he was layin down all cool and poo poo. I need to know how to style on dead bugs please

Use the arrow keys to open emotes, you can also set favorites in the options menu that you select w/ ctrl.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
The random voice lines are just so good sometimes.

:v: Are you a soy sauce or ketchup person?
:argh: Don't say stupid things.

or

:ohdear: I don't want to fight these things in a place like this!
:v: That's what the drill sergeant said, too.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bofast posted:

The random voice lines are just so good sometimes.

:v: Are you a soy sauce or ketchup person?
:argh: Don't say stupid things.

or

:ohdear: I don't want to fight these things in a place like this!
:v: That's what the drill sergeant said, too.

"The whole squad's dying!"
"It's just like in my dreams! :yayclod:"

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Quicksilver6 posted:

Use the arrow keys to open emotes, you can also set favorites in the options menu that you select w/ ctrl.

Wow. Thanks. I've been using that menu for communicating with non-English speakers but had no idea there were emotes in there too. I thought everything in there was text and voice (or just text). I edited my quick chat menu but now I'm gonna have to experiment with emotes.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Gamerofthegame posted:

they lack damage in the context of MP, where the bombing runs have a tendency to just toss things around.

more so with stuff like the cannons/anything with a zoom, which are slow and don't have a mobility button. The striker weapons' aren't so bad, no, though if you're facing black ants and miss or at least don't get them all you're in for a bad time

Oh yea I totally forgot about the stuff with no mobility button, I don’t think I ever used those types all game

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Hand Cannons, Gallics and Mortars are still great, but as I head into Hardest/Inferno I think I might have to start using a Reflector and Jackhammer as my go-to secondaries instead.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I have noticed with fencer jumping that dashing forward into a jump feels inconsistent. Sometimes the jump isn’t recognized as you hammer down or do it too early. Said inconsistency does not happen when moving sideways. Remember fencers: always strafe dash to shoot and scoot to perfection.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

"Great, it's raining. Now we are going to be wet, soggy corpses."

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So, how do I actually invite friends to play this after I make a room? I can't find it in the manual.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Night10194 posted:

So, how do I actually invite friends to play this after I make a room? I can't find it in the manual.

Hit the right arrow and there's an invite button (which just opens up the steam invite friends interface anyway, so that's also an option)

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Blind Duke posted:

I have noticed with fencer jumping that dashing forward into a jump feels inconsistent. Sometimes the jump isn’t recognized as you hammer down or do it too early. Said inconsistency does not happen when moving sideways. Remember fencers: always strafe dash to shoot and scoot to perfection.
Pressing forward against an object also makes you not jump when you should. It is like there is some roll check that disables certain inputs until the non-animation of the roll finishes.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Azhais posted:

Hit the right arrow and there's an invite button (which just opens up the steam invite friends interface anyway, so that's also an option)

Thank you!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Replaying on hardest difficulty and hoping to get guns worth a drat is somewhat frustrating. The hardest part so far is trying to keep focused and not close my eyes and sigh heavily every time I hear "THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! TWO EYES, TWO HANDS!" in the Colonist introduction missions.

I love my EDF brethren but... we really need to raise our hiring standards a little.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Quicksilver6 posted:

Replaying on hardest difficulty and hoping to get guns worth a drat is somewhat frustrating. The hardest part so far is trying to keep focused and not close my eyes and sigh heavily every time I hear "THEY'RE JUST LIKE US! TWO EYES, TWO HANDS!" in the Colonist introduction missions.

I love my EDF brethren but... we really need to raise our hiring standards a little.

Nobody in their right mind would voluntarily ride a Free Bike.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

wait... you guys don't look like Colonists?

I... need to go to the hospital

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shine posted:

Nobody in their right mind would voluntarily ride a Free Bike.

I loving love my idiotic Free Bike.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
They’re just all redshirts like xcom rookies :colbert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
There were a few maps I legitimately swear by the free bike warts and all, like chasing after the fortress. So I could zip over to help Air Raiders and revive wing divers between chasing the fortress and whittling the limbs off cyber frogs so the fencers have an easier time giving them a surprise colonoscopy.

Even when I'd leave the bike behind and wildly gesticulated towards it, the Air Raiders never wanted it though :v:

That said, I remember it being surprisingly difficulty to hand complete strangers one of the ranger tanks. Given the EDF community is extremely chill, I've put that down to them probably thinking "It would be RUDE for me to steal their tank!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 27, 2019

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

Air raider in mp doesn't lack damage, it's just awkward damage

You're really good at killing "a big group of bugs" or "exactly one thing" but "exactly 4 bugs right next to you" is the ultimate Achilles heel.

If big dudes are dodge rolling out of your spritefalls I recommend tagging them with an autocannon (or better, a minigun) first, the stagger will hold them in place while the beams melt them

Also just, like, get 4 or 5 big guys in the radius of 1 spritefall. 2 or 3 of them aren't going to roll out.

Yeah this is a totally accurate portrayal of the class in MP. Literally no one trivializes hordes of bugs like air raider(multi-line phobos runs are the best AoE in the entire game, period), and you can make absolute hash out of groups of cosmos and frogs with cannons/spritefall/nyx or barga, but whoopsie doodle 3 spiders sneaking behind your nyx means you're dead!

It's an awkward class mostly because it's so polarized. In many missions, you're either you're completely owning and carrying the team on your shoulders singlehandedly or you're borderline totally helpless and useless, with little middle ground. Stages with shield bearers and transport ships are good examples - in real time I've had my contribution to the team go from almost nothing to solo clearing most of the map the moment a friend pops a single annoying shield bearer.

They really, really need to bring back the thing from EDF 4.1 where the satellite blaster/bulge laser could pierce stuff from the top and hit underside weak points - this actually gave Air Raider a reasonable way to kill transports that wasn't a loving useless limpet gun or vehicle, and would help make the bulge laser more attractive again since they nerfed it from being The Best Call-In, Period.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 27, 2019

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Quicksilver6 posted:

Approaching Monster Balls, mission 87 in single player, is easy to cheese for weapons. If you go upstream there is a spot where you can wedge yourself between some rocks and be completely safe. Easy to do on hardest and inferno. It can drop some useful things, like the level 85 slaughter shotgun.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Section Z posted:

There were a few maps I legitimately swear by the free bike warts and all, like chasing after the fortress. So I could zip over to help Air Raiders and revive wing divers between chasing the fortress and whittling the limbs off cyber frogs so the fencers have an easier time giving them a surprise colonoscopy.

Even when I'd leave the bike behind and wildly gesticulated towards it, the Air Raiders never wanted it though :v:

That said, I remember it being surprisingly difficulty to hand complete strangers one of the ranger tanks. Given the EDF community is extremely chill, I've put that down to them probably thinking "It would be RUDE for me to steal their tank!"

Yeah apparently I have designs on ALL of these war bargas... No I don't, get in the loving mech shinji

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

RoyalScion posted:

They’re just all redshirts like xcom rookies :colbert:

They’re my idiotic brain dead children and I love them

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

EDF wouldn't be half as charming if the humans in it weren't all hilariously eager morons.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'm sorry what are these "bees" you speak of? :confused:

https://streamable.com/p1b6h

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I hate bargas so I always let the pubs or anybody else really drive them.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

:allears:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

I think there is a quick chat option that says something like "get in this vehicle".

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

I love these idiots, I just... sometimes when they say "THEY LOOK LIKE US" to the giant slimey Slippy Toads With A Gun, I just want a button to scornfully look at them in parental disappointment.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
We need a Proteus-sized punch-mech solely for going Rock-em-Sock-em Robots on frogs and Primers. It's just too awkward to accomplish the same with Barga.

Also give Rangers a dedicated equipment slot for support weapons/AI redshirt call-ins. I want to have EDF chant support at all times.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

ChickenHeart posted:

We need a Proteus-sized punch-mech solely for going Rock-em-Sock-em Robots on frogs and Primers. It's just too awkward to accomplish the same with Barga.

Also give Rangers a dedicated equipment slot for support weapons/AI redshirt call-ins. I want to have EDF chant support at all times.

That would be an awesome thing, actually. Give us paratrooper callins for all those vehicle credits. They don't even have to be good allies, they could just be two dudes with lovely rifles and I'd still call them in every chance I got.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

RoyalScion posted:

I hate bargas so I always let the pubs or anybody else really drive them.

noted, I'm not getting out to pick your rear end up when you get one shot by ants on inferno though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Rather be mobile (or cry as an air raider) since barga won't save you from gold ants

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Iron rain had sorta non idiot edf and it wasn't nearly as good to listen to, aside from 2 people. They had a dude who really liked bugs and was entertainingly weird about it even while being attacked by them, and a science man who sounded like someone's granddad accidentally found a radio and just started talking about whatever. I think what i really want in the next edf is another scientist thats knows nothing of science.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What are good wing diver weapons? I use the spark vine thing, and any time it try something else I'm disappointed. Mission 30-40.

Gleipner is very fun but I'm not sure if it does much damage.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

redreader posted:

What are good wing diver weapons? I use the spark vine thing, and any time it try something else I'm disappointed. Mission 30-40.

Gleipner is very fun but I'm not sure if it does much damage.

What difficulty?

Phalanxes, Stardust Cannons, or any of the lightning guns are always at least a decent choice.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Quicksilver6 posted:

I love these idiots, I just... sometimes when they say "THEY LOOK LIKE US" to the giant slimey Slippy Toads With A Gun, I just want a button to scornfully look at them in parental disappointment.

And yet to the greys that wear armor they're like THEY DON'T LOOK ANYTHING LIKE US AT ALL THIS TIME. The gently caress? You identity more with amphibians with a guns?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Only problem with EDF is when the npcs sing songs from previous games and I can't...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
And when the camera pans to show something in particular, loving up your controls and possibly killing you in gunfire. How about you just freeze everyone in place instead of letting everyone but the player continue in cut scenes, game.