Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just stopping by to say that Lorenz sucks and I hate this dude. He’s gotten two levels so far that were both just luck + res and he gets doubled by everyone while just holding an iron weapon. This guy has got a one way ticket to bench city

Tae posted:

If you haven't already, any non-Golden Deer F!Byleths can recruit Sylvain for free.

You mean non-Blue Lions? Because Sylvain is from that house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

RealFoxy posted:

Why is your concern only with murdering playable characters

That's NOT your main purpose for this game???

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Protip: Hire some Seiros Holy Monks, they have a gambit that gives all units in a radius +5 move :eyepop:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've been playing this game a lot and I sided with the Blue Lions. Whoever said this game is sleepwalk-easy has something wrong with their brain, because the first real map was chock-full of enemies who were doubling my entire army. Except Felix, because apparently Felix does nothing but guzzle steroids when nobody else is looking.

Also, Annette owns. I wasn't expecting anything out of her coming into the game, but she's a murder mage and every single one of her supports so far has been endearing, funny, or both.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Has someone compiled any early tips or traps to avoid, i'm just starting this up and know i'm gonna agonise over everything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Supports still work by keeping whoever tile-to-tile right

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

RBA Starblade posted:

Supports still work by keeping whoever tile-to-tile right

It's way more generous than that. I don't know exactly how it works, but after each action, hearts will pop up over the heads of everyone who got support points, and I swear it's like a 3-tile radius

Also Byleth can gain support points by giving people gifts and answering quizzes because I guess this is Harvest Moon now

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Serenes has max stats up, and uh, they are really high. Are there unlimited stat boosting items or something?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Am I missing the obvious or is there no way to acquire fishing bait on demand?

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm mulling over getting this game this evening and wanted to ask two things:

1) Is the school stuff fleshed out, and more importantly, is it actually fun?

2) I was a little worried when they first showed footage that the increased scale of the battles when moving into big screens and HD would bog things down through more elaborate/time consuming visualizations. Has that been an issue for anybody?

also i guess i wanna know if the dub and story are bad, like fates, or good (relatively speaking), like awakening

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Amppelix posted:

Am I missing the obvious or is there no way to acquire fishing bait on demand?

In chapter 4 you can get a sidequest to do a battle to clear the road of bandits for some merchants. Once you do it (on a different week), two merchants show up in the marketplace selling seeds/bait/gifts

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ah, so not yet for me. Guess I should've known to save some bait for any fishing events that happen to pop up. Ah well, doesn't seem like you ever miss out on anything too amazing.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Does anyone know when the Blacksmith opens up? I’ve got one broken weapon and several more with single digit durability

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

OnimaruXLR posted:

I'm mulling over getting this game this evening and wanted to ask two things:

1) Is the school stuff fleshed out, and more importantly, is it actually fun?

2) I was a little worried when they first showed footage that the increased scale of the battles when moving into big screens and HD would bog things down through more elaborate/time consuming visualizations. Has that been an issue for anybody?

also i guess i wanna know if the dub and story are bad, like fates, or good (relatively speaking), like awakening

So far I've been enjoying the school stuff a lot. It's pretty neat to see people wandering about and doing what they do in their spare time. It's also somewhat streamlined, too. People kept talking about it as a day-to-day thing but it's really more of a week-to-week situation. Fishing, Gardening, and doing all sorts of other things in the area are heckin' fun as well.

I don't know what you mean with the second one. If you're worried about animation length- they don't bog down the gameplay. If you're worried about framerate issues, there has been some stuttering and slowdown from time to time but it hasn't been anything too drastic imo.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just stopping by to say that Lorenz sucks and I hate this dude. He’s gotten two levels so far that were both just luck + res and he gets doubled by everyone while just holding an iron weapon. This guy has got a one way ticket to bench city

Agreed but for story reasons. I got him two ranks into supporting Marianne and I hate him already.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

OnimaruXLR posted:

It's just an extra layer of zoom in you can do. It's pretty confusing to use and I used it for maybe thirty seconds before I'd had enough. You don't have to use it at all, and just like every other game, you can turn off animations all together if you want.

Also I'm on chapter 4 and the writing for this game is already better than just about any other game in the series, exception to the FE5 (and maybe 4).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
A lot of the support gambits are really good and they're effectively free since you have downtime between each skirmish during battle. The heal one is pretty nuts since it's a huge chain heal that basically connects to anyone touching the initial unit.

I think I once healed like 8 units at once with it.

Another reason to increase your professor points as a priority is that you get more money.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
Why/how is Dmitri forecasted to double attack my Bernadetta when he has 9 speed and she has 7? Also why did one character (Lorenz?) attack someone when they were not forecasted to attack anyone?

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I don't mean forecast, I mean enemy intent? The thing that shows you what the enemy is going to do on their turn.

mancalamania fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 26, 2019

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I appreciate that - Spoilers for Black Eagles- Edelgard's route is pretty firmly the Villain route. As she's essentially one of the main antagonists and even her own route has an option to not go along with her murder boner. Hilariously, I think 3H gave us what people were hoping for with Conquest, a route in which we're playing the bad guys.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to steal recruit Annette, but I have to get her BFF Mercedes too, which is fine, but I also need to get Lysithea and Leonie, and Ingrid just to completely gently caress over Dimitri and give him something legit to be emo about.

I have no idea how I'm gonna go about doing this.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I almost thought nobody made a Fire Emblem thread because I sorted by the Switch tag and didn't see one.

Oh well. Time to go play the game and grind for maybe four hundred hours before coming back to this thread half a year later to talk about however creepy and unnecessary whatever the new waifu mechanic is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Super early game question: does the choice of where Byleth is from matter at all? I'm guessing this isn't where you pick a house already, but I'm wondering if being from one region or another matters for decisions down the line or anything.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

No, and choosing the house is so incredibly obvious that it's literally impossible to miss it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

5er posted:

I almost thought nobody made a Fire Emblem thread because I sorted by the Switch tag and didn't see one.

Oh well. Time to go play the game and grind for maybe four hundred hours before coming back to this thread half a year later to talk about however creepy and unnecessary whatever the new waifu mechanic is.

Remember folks, having tea with someone is creepy.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Felix has become such a poo poo brickhouse that in-game my attitude towards teaching him has literally become "Do whatever the gently caress you want, you clearly don't need my guidance"

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Onmi posted:

I appreciate that - Spoilers for Black Eagles- Edelgard's route is pretty firmly the Villain route. As she's essentially one of the main antagonists and even her own route has an option to not go along with her murder boner. Hilariously, I think 3H gave us what people were hoping for with Conquest, a route in which we're playing the bad guys.

are any of the house the good guys? Because from what spoilers I've seen all three of them seem to end up kind of evil. If the black Eagles are the most evil which one is the least evil? Or is it too early to tell?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

If I want to promote noted bow user Claude into the Lord Class, do I have to dump a bunch of training into his sword proficiency?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Turns out fist weapons rule. Who would have thought a class of all brave weapons would be good.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

inthesto posted:

It's way more generous than that. I don't know exactly how it works, but after each action, hearts will pop up over the heads of everyone who got support points, and I swear it's like a 3-tile radius

Also Byleth can gain support points by giving people gifts and answering quizzes because I guess this is Harvest Moon now

Support is based off being able to attack the same enemy instead of adjacency now. I think passives(like byleth's) that assist the character also help give support points as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

From what I've read, it's less "villain" and more "extremist," though I guess that might just be semantics at a certain point. Her goal isn't necessarily bad and she's the only one who meaningfully fights the status quo, but her methods are probably far too brutal to be easily justifiable, and it's telling that she's always a main antagonist in any other route.

For my part, I kinda regret having spoiled myself, because I'm having a very hard time choosing between doing Black Eagles or Golden Deer first. Reasoning, for other people who've read some spoilers: it seems like Golden Deer's story is sort of "separate" from the other two, which makes it hard for me to decide whether to do it first and have a chill adventure with my buddy Claude, or do it after doing Black Eagles and diving into the real country vs. country conflict stuff. It doesn't help that I've also heard (gameplay but not story spoilers) Golden Deer has more "interesting"/challenging map design than Black Eagles, which really appeals to me. It's probably just going to come down to a snap decision when I have to make it. I know I want to do both routes (hell, probably all the routes at some point) but it's tough deciding what I want my first run to be.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I see you get a skill when you get full points in a class, does this also extend to commoner and noble or should I swap out of those as soon as I hit level 5?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I picked Golden Deers, so is there any reason to do stuff like share meals with students from other houses or otherwise worrying about their affection?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Leal posted:

I see you get a skill when you get full points in a class, does this also extend to commoner and noble or should I swap out of those as soon as I hit level 5?

They get a skill that gives +5 HP. I found it pretty useful on hard.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Deified Data posted:

I picked Golden Deers, so is there any reason to do stuff like share meals with students from other houses or otherwise worrying about their affection?

You can recruit students from other houses, so yes.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ethiser posted:

They get a skill that gives +5 HP. I found it pretty useful on hard.

Thanks, this gives me the bonus of having extra time to decide what class to make Byleth

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

are any of the house the good guys? Because from what spoilers I've seen all three of them seem to end up kind of evil. If the black Eagles are the most evil which one is the least evil? Or is it too early to tell?

Spoilers for all three of the houses.

I'd say Blue Lion's or Golden Der is the closest. But it's actually better viewed from an SMT perspective. Edelgard is Chaos. Dimitri is Law and Claude is Neutral. Edelgard wants to destroy the system and she doesn't care who dies in that path. Notably, there is NOTHING to be done to convince Edelgard to not be a murderer, hell she's the Flame Emperor, She's responsible for the school being attacked and kickstarting the plot. It wasn't 5 years later Edelgard decided on her revenge, it's Edelgard wanted her revenge from the start and didn't care who died to get it. Dimitri is Law. He wants to change how people are treated, but he wants to leave the system as it is. Notably, he even tries to spare Edelgard in the end, as far as traditional heroes, he's the best fit. Claude... Claude just wants his two friends to stop fighting and wants to keep people safe. As far as the big conflict goes, he doesn't actually care. All he cares is that the little person is getting caught up in it. and that his friends are out to kill one another.

Harrow posted:

From what I've read, it's less "villain" and more "extremist," though I guess that might just be semantics at a certain point. Her goal isn't necessarily bad and she's the only one who meaningfully fights the status quo, but her methods are probably far too brutal to be easily justifiable, and it's telling that she's always a main antagonist in any other route.

For my part, I kinda regret having spoiled myself, because I'm having a very hard time choosing between doing Black Eagles or Golden Deer first. Reasoning, for other people who've read some spoilers: it seems like Golden Deer's story is sort of "separate" from the other two, which makes it hard for me to decide whether to do it first and have a chill adventure with my buddy Claude, or do it after doing Black Eagles and diving into the real country vs. country conflict stuff. It doesn't help that I've also heard (gameplay but not story spoilers) Golden Deer has more "interesting"/challenging map design than Black Eagles, which really appeals to me. It's probably just going to come down to a snap decision when I have to make it. I know I want to do both routes (hell, probably all the routes at some point) but it's tough deciding what I want my first run to be.

This is a really big spoiler for Black Eagles and Blue Lions. I call Edelgard the villain because she's the Flame Emperor responsible for the attack that kicks off the games plot. It isn't just that she's the main antagonist of the other routes, she can be the main antagonist of her own route. It's not that her feelings aren't understandable, being a subject of the crest experimentation sure as poo poo gives her plenty of feelings about it, but that does not excuse her actions.

As for which Route. If you can't pick, flip a coin. The game's not going anywhere.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do I get more bait for fishing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Onmi posted:

Spoilers for all three of the houses.

I'd say Blue Lion's or Golden Der is the closest. But it's actually better viewed from an SMT perspective. Edelgard is Chaos. Dimitri is Law and Claude is Neutral. Edelgard wants to destroy the system and she doesn't care who dies in that path. Notably, there is NOTHING to be done to convince Edelgard to not be a murderer, hell she's the Flame Emperor, She's responsible for the school being attacked and kickstarting the plot. It wasn't 5 years later Edelgard decided on her revenge, it's Edelgard wanted her revenge from the start and didn't care who died to get it. Dimitri is Law. He wants to change how people are treated, but he wants to leave the system as it is. Notably, he even tries to spare Edelgard in the end, as far as traditional heroes, he's the best fit. Claude... Claude just wants his two friends to stop fighting and wants to keep people safe. As far as the big conflict goes, he doesn't actually care. All he cares is that the little person is getting caught up in it. and that his friends are out to kill one another.

Comparing it to SMT alignments made the whole thing make a ton of sense.

What's making it hard for me is that I know which playthrough I want to be my "canon" playthrough, the one I see as the "real" one (specifically, that one's Golden Deer, most likely), and I can't decide whether that should be my first or last one. But probably first. And your description of the routes helped me decide, too, so thanks!

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Harrow posted:

Comparing it to SMT alignments made the whole thing make a ton of sense.

What's making it hard for me is that I know which playthrough I want to be my "canon" playthrough, the one I see as the "real" one (specifically, that one's Golden Deer, most likely), and I can't decide whether that should be my first or last one. But probably first. And your description of the routes helped me decide, too, so thanks!

I would also point out, and spoilers for both Black Eagle and Blue Lions Edelgard and Dimitri have history as lost loves/childhood friends/other emotional baggage. The conflict really is between them in the end of it. Hell Dimitri's stepmother is Edelgard's mother for that extra spicy FE not-incest. Claude really does feel like he exists as a sort of breather from the big conflict of the game. He's not really involved in the conflict on a personal level, he doesn't care one way or the other about the church. He really only knows these guys from school. So 5 years later he wakes up one day and someone runs in to tell him his two schoolmates are going to war with each other. Notably, no route has to wind up with Claude dead. but one of Dimitri or Edelgard must be dead by the end of all the routes. He wont join you if you survive, but I guess it's a showcase of your rear end in a top hat potential. If you kill Claude you're a monster.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Chapter 4 report pre battle:

Going all in on raising my faith to like D and giving Lysithea a billion gifts raised her B support let me recruit her. Now I have to decide who else to poach (still haven't battled beyond the end-of-month mission).

My professor level is enough to let me pick an extra character to "support" someone during battle, and I have 5 points now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Megasabin posted:

How do I get more bait for fishing?
You can buy more when the Southern and Eastern merchants unlock at the monastery.

I posted a bunch of tips elsewhere last night and forgot to repost them here.

quote:

Couple of tips for new players

Optimizing your Monastery Exploration
Instead of fast traveling, run around the monastery looking for blue glowy drops. They're usually Lost Items or random seeds/gifts. Turning in Lost Items is the equivalent of giving someone their favorite gift in terms of Support and Motivation gain. Some of them are Fishing or Gardening manuals that give a boatload of professor exp. They can show up in student's dorm rooms so check every single nook and cranny including the 2F Dorm and Library.

When the Southern and Eastern Merchants show up at the Monastery, buy all of their limited stock items (fishing bait, various gifts, seeds). Their stock gets replenished at the start of every month.

Greenhouse
Plant, cultivate, and harvest every time you visit the monastery. You get a bunch of giftable flowers and occasionally permanent stat up items.

Fishing
Save your fishing bait for fishing events only - like a Golden Fish event (fish that sell for 200g/500g/1000g and give 20-50 professor exp each).

You have a total of 3 nibbles before you lose your bait. This is useful when looking for Golden Fish or rare giant fish. You don't have to settle for the first fish that bites.

You can recruit every student and teacher if you optimize your support gains through gifts and Lost Items.

Always bring a guest character with you every month for support gain or their specific story beats. When you unlock Adjudants, pair the guest character on Byleth.

You can lower recruitment skill/stat requirements by increasing your target's Support ranks. Recruitment requirements are tied to Byleth's skills/stats only.

My guesses:
No support: C skill, 15 stat
C support: D skill, 14-15 stat
B support: D skill, 10-13 stat
I've never failed recruiting the harder characters (the ones that require MAG stat) once I got them to B support.

SAVE YOUR GAME often in different slots before attempting to recruit someone or when spending/ending exploration time.