Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

m0therfux0r posted:

If it's your dream job, go for it, but just know it's not much of a raise- I just looked at a cost of living calculator and NYC is about 1.5x the cost of Chicago, so your raise might not feel like much, but if you're happy now, you should still be happy then.

Still negotiate either way.
Do remember that the cost of living increase is only going to affect the portion of your income you actually spend, and even then it's not going to affect everything. A 1.5x cost of living change for only 1.6x more income is a small raise if you tend to spend every penny on cost-of-living scaled things, but it's a huge raise if you only spend half your income on cost-of-living scaled things. (Let S be your old salary. Before you'd save 0.5*S, spend 0.5S. Now you'll spend 0.75S and save (1.6 - .75)S = .85S. A 70% increase to be used for savings and non-COL expenses. It's not gonna cost any more to contribute to your 401k, or buy ETF shares, or shop online. So don't just compare cost-of-living increase to salary increase, think about what you actually spend money on and in what ratios. I was glad I did this math when I moved to NYC - my salary was doubling, my rent was tripling and it was still 100% worth it.

Those relocation bonuses can be weird, find out what their policy is. Mine was willing to pay for movers, but not new furniture. So they spent a fortune moving my lovely furniture from san diego to nyc but would not have spent comparatively less for me to buy new furniture in new york. The month of housing is nice and I really could have used it, but do keep in mind you need a plan to store stuff and it's gonna mean moving twice, sort of. Assuming you spend weekends and evenings apartment hunting, that month is gonna be gone in a heartbeat. Apartment hunting is a pain in the rear end anywhere but it's especially overwhelming here. People in the LAN New York thread can help but poke around on your own first - lots of people ask "what neighborhood should I live in" with no other detail and, well, it's hard to answer in that situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Remember their payment for your relocation is taxed and, if I recall correctly, it's taxed at the rate for bonuses so it can be quite high.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

bamhand posted:

Remember their payment for your relocation is taxed and, if I recall correctly, it's taxed at the rate for bonuses so it can be quite high.
Bonuses are not taxed differently from any other income - the withholding is different but, once you've settled up at tax time, they're the same as any other income.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

You'll pay a much higher amount of state and local taxes in NY than Chicago. And higher taxes overall since the 1.0-1.6x income will be in a higher marginal bracket.

125k in Chicago = $21,410 federal and $6089 state/local
200k in Manhattan = $41,850 federal and $19,425 state/local

So you got a 75k raise but 45% of it is effectively just extra tax. You'll get a small break on FICA though depending on your actual before and after salaries.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Droo posted:

You'll pay a much higher amount of state and local taxes in NY than Chicago. And higher taxes overall since the 1.0-1.6x income will be in a higher marginal bracket.

So you got a 75k raise but 45% of it is effectively just extra tax. You'll get a small break on FICA though depending on your actual before and after salaries.
Good god. That is a murderous tax increase.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yeah, I used to live in NYC and when I moved to Chicago I essentially got a pretty big raise from the tax changes alone. Not looking forward to ~ city tax ~ again.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Droo posted:

Where does that state tax number come from? It looks wrong at a glance. There is definitely a higher tax burden so make as much use of tax advantaged accounts as you can.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Where does that state tax number come from? It looks wrong at a glance. There is definitely a higher tax burden so make as much use of tax advantaged accounts as you can.

The first and also featured link when you type "nyc income tax" into google

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Droo posted:

The first and also featured link when you type "nyc income tax" into google
oh okay I read the wrong number, indeed

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Chicago has the nation's highest sales tax at 10.25% and the median property tax in Cook County is north of 3%.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

spf3million posted:

Chicago has the nation's highest sales tax at 10.25% and the median property tax in Cook County is north of 3%.
I've lived here my whole life so the 10% sales tax doesn't even register in my brain. My spending is like $45k a year, with only $30k of that falling under "spending affected by sales tax" so that's only about $2.7k a year I pay in that. At least with sales tax, it's influenced by spending instead of earnings.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

spf3million posted:

Property taxes in both Chicago and NYC are about 2%. Some of the other counties outside Chicago (Lake :bahgawd:) are close to 3% but not inside the city

SA Forums Poster
Oct 13, 2018

You have to PAY to post on that forum?!?
How could I have improved this conversation for next interview:

HR: What is your requested salary for this job?
Me: What is the salary range?
HR: $x (which is a few dollars more per hour than the other places I had been interviewing with)
Me: $x is good.
HR: Is that more or less than what you are making now?
Me: (I'm in california, so I know I don't have to answer that) $x is what I was wanting to be paid.
HR: Oh good!

Instead of accepting $x, I should have asked for $x+10% ?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

SA Forums Poster posted:

Instead of accepting $x, I should have asked for $x+10% ?
Yes. Never don't negotiate.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

SA Forums Poster posted:

HR: What is your requested salary for this job?
Me: -deflects-

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Asked for an 8% bump in total comp and we have a call set for later today to discuss. Thanks for all the input goons! Hopefully I'll have something to enter into the spreadsheet soon. Is that still a thing?

UPDATE: no movement on the offer. It was literally their best offer for the role/level I'd be coming in, which I had a feeling was the case for a few reasons:

1) They came in above their own stated ranges (HQ is in California so they have to provide ranges if asked) for both base salary and equity
2) I had another offer on the table (which they knew)
3) I killed the interviews during the onsite
4) They're hiring really hard on this team for NYC and want people there ASAP

Regardless, I've officially accepted and now we're working through paperwork. So, nothing to add to the spreadsheet but good practice in negotiating for an offer that's already really good.

Chaotic Flame fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 25, 2019

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Posted in the general work bitching thread but was encouraged to post here too.

I have a tough choice to make. Major restructuring going on here and a lot of people losing jobs to have those positions go to CA. I’ve only been here 3 months and I have no idea what my job security is, despite being told I should be safe.

My old company wants me back, and is willing to fix a lot of the issues I had with the team (reporting to a new boss for example). Sounds great except it’s a pay cut to where I was before. However there is a slight chance of a promotion in the next few months. Slight.

I like my new salary, and don’t wanna take a cut. Plus I figure if I go back, I need to stay at least a year or two before moving to a new job.

However paycut > no paycheck/unemployment.

I’ve tried to argue for more money than I was making, but they didn’t seem to bite there.

Really torn on this.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

you said in the other thread you've got 4 months saved up. there's no reason to be in a hurry about this, try to go somewhere else and if it doesn't work out you can fall back there temporarily.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Just got off a call with a recruiter for a job I have an on-site for next week. We hadn't talked compensation at all and I deferred giving the usual, "I just want to make sure I'm a good fit." He shared where he thinks it'll end up, and the baseline before RSU's and signing bonus would be a straight up 100+% raise. :stare: After you add those in it comes close to 200%. :stare: :stare: :stare:

Knowing a little about this company, I don't actually think sharing a number would've necessarily hurt me that much, but I'm certainly grateful for this thread beating the notion of not giving a number first into my head.

Now I just have to nail the interview.

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Just got off a call with a recruiter for a job I have an on-site for next week. We hadn't talked compensation at all and I deferred giving the usual, "I just want to make sure I'm a good fit." He shared where he thinks it'll end up, and the baseline before RSU's and signing bonus would be a straight up 100+% raise. :stare: After you add those in it comes close to 200%. :stare: :stare: :stare:

Knowing a little about this company, I don't actually think sharing a number would've necessarily hurt me that much, but I'm certainly grateful for this thread beating the notion of not giving a number first into my head.

Now I just have to nail the interview.

Good luck!!

Is the new position similar to your current? And/or are you currently underpaid? I’m just trying to figure out that big of a jump. Lol Really hope it works out either way!

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

RSUs get nuts at big public companies and at senior levels. More strings attached than cash and some more risk built in, but it becomes a huge part of comp.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I hate the added complexity of RSUs which puts the onus on you to figure out all the taxes and pay the fees for brokerage sites to sell it and disperse the cash etc. Pain in the rear end.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

priznat posted:

I hate the added complexity of RSUs which puts the onus on you to figure out all the taxes and pay the fees for brokerage sites to sell it and disperse the cash etc. Pain in the rear end.

Of course there are some complexities. You have accept the grant, they withhold an estimate (and you can choose to sell to cover that or put in cash), and then you need to decide when to sell. But none of this is rocket surgery. In the right company this is a huge benefit that is relatively "easier" to give out than base salary.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Fireside Nut posted:

Good luck!!

Is the new position similar to your current? And/or are you currently underpaid? I’m just trying to figure out that big of a jump. Lol Really hope it works out either way!

The position is very similar to my current position. I'm currently underpaid, which I've known for a while, but I was on a good team with a boss who liked me and treated me well and I had a lot of autonomy (work from home in the mornings until traffic died down, work from home a day a week, etc.). Most of the other jobs in my field at my level involve a lot of time traveling between various customer sites which could be 1-2 hour drives and unpredictable hours.

The big difference in pay comes from the fact that I'd be going from one large tech company that sees the whole area I work in as something to be bid out to the contractor that will do it cheap. The new company is another large tech company who sees what I do to crucial to the success of the company and that the technical people in that position should be paid similarly to the technical people they employ in the rest of the business.

BeastOfExmoor fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 27, 2019

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Talked to a recruiter today which was mostly a waste of time, they had called me up out of the blue but really just wanted to update their info.

I did manage to dodge the current salary and expectations questions though, prior to this thread I probably would have given numbers but since there was no actual job no way am I letting them pigeonhole me. Told her just refer to my history and length of experience.

Anyway, it always baffles me how clueless recruiters are in the industries they are supposed to work. Don’t know most of the major companies in the field, have no idea about anything technical outside of their bullet points “must do rtos!” Not a new revelation just ugh come on. Must be a hell of a lot of turnover in that field.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

priznat posted:

Anyway, it always baffles me how clueless recruiters are in the industries they are supposed to work. Must be a hell of a lot of turnover in that field.

There's an unbelievable amount of turnover and the people doing the job are absolute idiots. Cutco salespeople have more credibility than most recruiters in my opinion.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

There's an unbelievable amount of turnover and the people doing the job are absolute idiots. Cutco salespeople have more credibility than most recruiters in my opinion.

Can 100% vouch for this

Also it's definitely an up-or-out industry, most of the people making cold calls are in their early to mid 20s. They either make it to management or burn out and find another sales job

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Yup that’s exactly what it sounded like right down to the boiler room style background voices of other recruiters on calls.

Figured it would be better just in case but I doubt much comes from it. I’m not actively looking or anything but keeping options open is always good.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

I just worked with the best (internal) recruiter of my life and it really makes a difference. This hiring process was a dream (if a bit long).

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Internal recruiters are typically 1000x better and more worthwhile than third party recruiters. Not always, but typically. I almost always at least read messages from internal recruiters from interesting companies, even if I don't follow up on them.

But I ignore 99.9% of cold-calling third party recruiters because they peddle mostly garbage contract gigs, awful legacy companies, or bottom tier startups and they know it because they won't be upfront with you about who they are recruiting for.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guinness posted:

Internal recruiters are typically 1000x better and more worthwhile than third party recruiters. Not always, but typically. I almost always at least read messages from internal recruiters from interesting companies, even if I don't follow up on them.

But I ignore 99.9% of cold-calling third party recruiters because they peddle mostly garbage contract gigs, awful legacy companies, or bottom tier startups and they know it because they won't be upfront with you about who they are recruiting for.

What about people who seem just as skeezy but are allegedly recruiting for companies like Facebook and Amazon?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What about people who seem just as skeezy but are allegedly recruiting for companies like Facebook and Amazon?

Do you mean people that are lying and deceiving you, or is this just a jab at Amazon and Facebook?

I have no love for or desire to work at either of those places, but I’ve been contacted by their internal recruiters plenty and it’s usually pretty clear that they are legit (@amazon.com or @facebook.com email, forthright about the details, links to real job reqs). I’ve had a weirdo or two, but even then I’m pretty sure they actually worked there.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Guinness posted:

Do you mean people that are lying and deceiving you, or is this just a jab at Amazon and Facebook?

I have no love for or desire to work at either of those places, but I’ve been contacted by their internal recruiters plenty and it’s usually pretty clear that they are legit (@amazon.com or @facebook.com email, forthright about the details, links to real job reqs). I’ve had a weirdo or two, but even then I’m pretty sure they actually worked there.

At least one is @fb.com, contacted me several times both through gmail and linkedin. Eventually had to tell him I'm not interested.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Absurd Alhazred posted:

At least one is @fb.com, contacted me several times both through gmail and linkedin. Eventually had to tell him I'm not interested.
It probably says something to me that this doesn't register as skeezy, but it's almost quaint next to the worst things I've known third party recruiters to do.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It probably says something to me that this doesn't register as skeezy, but it's almost quaint next to the worst things I've known third party recruiters to do.

Yeah, I had a @fb.com reach out to me last year out of the blue. I wasn't looking at the time but it was a bit weird because it was a direct email and I hadn't applied for anything previously

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
I've recently resigned from a job where I'm not totally irreplaceable but they've definitely put a lot of eggs in this one little basket.

I love my job but my partner and I have decided to immigrate back to our home country to settle down and all that.

My boss is understandably devastated, not only because I've been making him a lot of money but also cause he's been in the field a long time and is genuinely interested in what I've been developing.

They've unexpected started throwing around the idea of paying me some kind of retainer so they can fly me back early next year for a month or so when some important poo poo is going down. We have a meeting booked to discuss it formally on Friday.

Continuing to be paid while not working would be pretty rad. Even more rad would be setting up my own shop back home and continuing to do something similar my current work.

I've got no idea what to ask for here. Am I going for some kind of venture capital arrangement?

An insentive for them is that I'm taking a load of proprietary and potentially valuable knowledge away with me when I leave and there's no one to replace me. If they won't fund me as a collaborator, someone else potentially might as a competitor.

I'm thinking of phrasing the next few months as being a trial that we can reassess when they fly me back. I'll be able to work in a limited capacity, and if the throw me some funding, I'll even be able to make some things to bring back with me to verify. I figure if it doesn't work out, they are only a few grand down, but if it does work then there is a lot of potential for the future.

I'm a materials chemist making weird poo poo for niche (and expensive) applications if that at all helps with forming any advice. However, I've got zero business experience lol!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Rozzbot posted:

An insentive for them is that I'm taking a load of proprietary and potentially valuable knowledge away with me when I leave and there's no one to replace me. If they won't fund me as a collaborator, someone else potentially might as a competitor.

Not the answer you’re looking for, but if the country you’re leaving is the US be reeeeeal careful how you phrase this, lest your next conversation on the subject be with 13 lawyers.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You and your boss appear to have a good relationship, so I wouldn't even mention the fact that you're the keeper of trade secrets. You obviously have a lot of leverage, so just try to figure out what kind of working relationship you want: frequent travel, fully remote or something in between? Employee or contractor?

Because your situation is so specific I'm not sure anybody can advise you. Certainly take the opportunity to ask for lots of money, whatever capacity you work with them in.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Rozzbot posted:

I've recently resigned from a job where I'm not totally irreplaceable but they've definitely put a lot of eggs in this one little basket.

I love my job but my partner and I have decided to immigrate back to our home country to settle down and all that.

My boss is understandably devastated, not only because I've been making him a lot of money but also cause he's been in the field a long time and is genuinely interested in what I've been developing.

They've unexpected started throwing around the idea of paying me some kind of retainer so they can fly me back early next year for a month or so when some important poo poo is going down. We have a meeting booked to discuss it formally on Friday.

Continuing to be paid while not working would be pretty rad. Even more rad would be setting up my own shop back home and continuing to do something similar my current work.

I've got no idea what to ask for here. Am I going for some kind of venture capital arrangement?

I'm thinking of phrasing the next few months as being a trial that we can reassess when they fly me back. I'll be able to work in a limited capacity, and if the throw me some funding, I'll even be able to make some things to bring back with me to verify. I figure if it doesn't work out, they are only a few grand down, but if it does work then there is a lot of potential for the future.

I'm a materials chemist making weird poo poo for niche (and expensive) applications if that at all helps with forming any advice. However, I've got zero business experience lol!
There are a lot of specifics that matter, like your current country, your destination country, norms and practices in your specific industry, where the chemistry is taking place, trade secrets, patents, other intellectual property, and even the personal relationships. You should have a clear view of what you want and how much it would cost the company to replace you (with consultants, training others, or direct hire from a competitor). Make an ask that accommodates what you want and is cost competitive with the replacement value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Just got an offer for a promotion from specialist to team lead in implementation, which will mean having 5 direct reports on my team, and being one of three leads in my office. The promotion comes with a change in my bonus scheme, which makes up a little more than 20% of my income annually (around 14k in bonus annually), but is very reliable in being paid out (it’s more like a commission per completed project). The new structure is based on team kpi’s and billable days, and has a higher cap, but comes with the possibility that the bonus doesn’t get paid out of the team isn’t on enough projects across a quarter. It’s happened once that the other leads didn’t have their teams make their billable days, which isn’t really that much in their control.

They’ve offered me an ~8.5% raise in conjunction to the new bonus structure, which has the potential to be 20k annually, IF it’s paid out at the highest potential bracket. More likely, the onus would be 16k annually (meets expectations bracket). So, if I don’t make bonus for one quarter, that’s basically the whole raise they gave me down the drain and I’m breaking even with what I make now. They were really keen to promote me, and said I was the standout candidate/obvious choice. I’ve asked them for specifics and clarifications on the offer, and followed that with a counter offer of twice the raise they were offering (give me 8k instead of 4k) due to the increased risk of not making bonus, as shown by it already not having been paid out one quarter in the last fiscal year.

I’m sure I did the right thing by counter offering, but they haven’t gotten back to me yet so I quietly freak out inside.