Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Subreddit pulse check: this week's subreddit is a Tale of Two Star Citizens.

Star Citizen One:
People who have actually touched the game. They are mostly pretty angry. It turns out everything is broken, even things that used to work. The comments section is usually half-and-half people agreeing with them, and people telling them to get hosed because it's alphaaaaaaaa forever.

Should Chris Roberts step down?
Mobiglass is bad and it should feel bad.
QT spooling is still broken after several years.
The Black Market sucks and doesn't actually reward criminal gameplay
None of the persistent poo poo works despite multiple "Roadmap" features that say it's implemented.
CIG can't even keep the roadmap up to date

Star Citizen Two:
The die hard fanatics. The starry eyed dreamers, the ones who either don't play the game or play it mostly to take extremely over-produced screenshots. Among this crowd, everything is going great! Except for all the whining. Gosh, what are all these people complaining about? Don't they know that every feature they hate is just Tier 0, and you aren't allowed to have opinions until the product is finished even though you paid for it years ago?

Patch +1 is definitely the Jesus Patch this time, you guys! (lol the QOL features mentioned are mostly art assets again)
Redditor is absolutely blown away that the menu is rendered in real 3D. Never been done before!
Holy poo poo the big spaceship that costs 900 dollars had a hangar screenshot leaked, everyone get in here! (The hangar doesn't work)

It was actually really hard to find much for SC2. Other than screenshot posts, there's very little positivity on the sub right now. It seems like the quarterly release cycle is really hurting Citizen confidence in the team. Almost like they can't quite suppress the memories and get hyped for the end-of-year patch like they've done in years past when the next big failure is just around the corner. Most of the sub is reduced to apologia at this point, tirelessly coming up for new excuses about why every aspect of the game has to suck right now, god it's like you've never watched a team fail at development before. It's completely normal to do it the wrong way four or five times in a row and then get it right- we're just guessing on that last part because it hasn't happened yet, but IT WILL! Very soon! You'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Do they think the :10bux: is a reoccuring payment?

Well, the cost can rise if you get into avatar wars.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Based on the last few sub temperature checks: the cycle seems to be pretty similar to the old annual cycles, but much more compacted. Patch comes out, majorly disappoints, lots and lots of anger, the most extreme Citizens react and suppress it, shunning the non believers and the reduced fanbase gradually builds hype again for next patch.

I think this worked in the past because Citizens have pretty small goldfish memories, but they seem to be struggling to get hype when they can watch features being shaved off in real time, and the most recent disaster is only weeks behind them. The parts of the project that they used to cling to for that sense of progress, the promise and far-off "Dream" videos, have largely been cut as well. The replacements which are mostly just artists creating yacht silverware settings or whatever poo poo Chris is pretending he absolutely needs this week, are just not sparking any excitement. There is not one person on the sub or off it who gives a poo poo about the 890 Jump yacht except as the newest, biggest ship. Nobody cares about the luxury stuff they keep selling. The most hype they've been able to get in the last few months was the missile truck, and that died faster than Ben's post-CIG career.

CIG really has been more transparent this year, and it appears to be an extremely bad thing for fan morale.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Based on the last few sub temperature checks: the cycle seems to be pretty similar to the old annual cycles, but much more compacted.

Careful or you'll summon Prester Jane to word salad the thread to death.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This is by design, crime doesn't pay and winners don't do drugs. Very realistic game! The most realisms!

Edit:

quote:

Have you ever considered that a level 5 crime stat means you're a piece of (in lore) poo poo that no-one wants to be seen doing business with?

quote:

I get why you don’t like this however the system makes sense.

If the game is setup to allow a player to always be a notorious criminal and profit/grind and progress then it would encourage many to do so.

By forcing players to reset their crime stat, it should allow more meaningful gameplay for everyone.

In the same sense, doing a mission without the intent of gaining a crime stat but getting one or seeing missions to stop other players on a mission also makes sense.

It appears to all work together well

Lol these guys are literally saying the thing I just said as a joke

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 26, 2019

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol these guys are literally saying the thing I just said as a joke

Yeah, they're not very nuanced. The problem with the 'crime' badge is that the rewards have to outstrip the malus provided by the rating in the first place, and given that most societies tend to frown on criminal behavior is makes the modelling weird as gently caress.

Make everyone have a record. Crimes are added to the record. To get hold of that record, you have to do some skill-based poo poo to get hold of it, but it's fixed in time. Crimes can be expunged from the record, but the person with the record isn't updated. If you attack someone with a record and win, bully for you. If the record is out of date and you attack someone, well done, you just crimed yourself.

At no point is anyone running around with a stripey t-shirt, but there's enough uncertainty to make the thing slightly more risky to make assumptions either way. The problem is that they're looking at other games to figure a way forward rather than coming up with anything new, possibly due to the fact that they're still building companies or some poo poo.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think next patch will fix all this mess.

Never fear.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
They should also rebrand their manufacturer of pirate ships... that poo poo doesn't make any sense at all.

Of course, that would mean admitting they hosed up in the first place.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Name one thing you like about Star Citizen.

I would say the soundtrack is pretty decent, I particularly like this 2000-era trance remix of one of the OST tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rysXlomaHN4

Reminds me of the trance radio station in GTA3 (risefm).

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

his nibs posted:

I don't know about you guys but I'm incandescent with rage and hatred for Star Citizen every morning for at least 2 hours before work, and then again at lunchtime after sticking pins in my Chrisbear effigy. To be fair I'm only just holding it together now as I type this message and I might erupt with anger at any second now.. arghhh

:same:

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

I would say the soundtrack is pretty decent, I particularly like this 2000-era trance remix of one of the OST tracks:

The original soundtrack is ace.

IcarusUpHigh fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 26, 2019

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

This is a great piece of music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEbIyy23_kQ&t=148s

I was so bummed it's wasted on this project.

First Light and the Star Citizen theme tune are great, there's some amazing tracks.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

which are mostly just artists creating yacht silverware

It becomes more and more like SoTA with every passing month.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Disco's relationship with his community is so weird. I guess I'm just spoiled by warframe but imagine any other community manager attacking people for making summaries of his long winded fluff videos.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

https://imgur.com/a/vTCvfeJ

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
This is my favourite bit of the game:

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jul 26, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Indeed.

Interesting titles on those books "We are all for sale"

Just think of all the man hours that went into those things as well that will only be enjoyable by a small percentage of players, as opposed to assets that maybe could be experienced by all. Seems to me that you do this sort of luxury stuff after a game is at least released.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Sarsapariller posted:

Disco's relationship with his community is so weird. I guess I'm just spoiled by warframe but imagine any other community manager attacking people for making summaries of his long winded fluff videos.

Warframes community manager is friends with a youtuber who only makes videos about how much the game sucks.*

*In the best possible way.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Agony Aunt posted:

Indeed.

Just think of all the man hours that went into those things as well that will only be enjoyable by a small percentage of players, as opposed to assets that maybe could be experienced by all. Seems to me that you do this sort of luxury stuff after a game is at least released.

Whatever, man. Did you see the texturing on those towels? Those are the kind of luxury items that I absolutely demand in my 900 dollar spaceships in a game about freewheeling mercenary pirates.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Rocks, for dinner, again!?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

:imunfunny: I heard that $900 collectible will have 67 rooms! And nothing to do in any of them.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, the cost can rise if you get into avatar wars.

Live by the beard, die by the beard.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

skeletors_condom posted:

I'd throw my vote at the music too. Too good for this game anyway.

rePool
Apr 18, 2019

Undercover Goon.

So long and thanks for all the fish

So weird, his motivation is to prove detractors wrong. Not motivated by something he's interested in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Agony Aunt posted:

Except instead of being whatever the team can find on asset sites, it's whatever Chris liked from his latest super-luxury vacation.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

star citizens deserve this, they've earned it

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

rePool posted:

So weird, his motivation is to prove detractors wrong. Not motivated by something he's interested in.

Hyper-defensive is probably the default mode for everyone working with CIG because in any given moment someone will blame you for what's hosed up and you need to be ready to lay that blame on someone or somewhere else. He could live in absolute terror of someone asking him why he can't abridge his stuff and save everyone some money because some dude can do a write-up of it all for free, and I wouldn't be shocked.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

So what's the deal with the hanger and the 890? Is it a new hanger because the size of the ship or what?

Gosts
Jan 15, 2016

what the gently caress is with those models jesus christ it looks like someone tried to make a game mode in gmod and used a bunch of default hl2 assets and hired some random guys who didn't coordinate

oh my god are those rocks?? are those supposed to be tasteful rocks everywhere?? they're all the same rock. every rock is the same rock. They look like clams maybe?? I literally thought they were clams at first, like it's a big seafood buffet. And I was looking at other objects and trying to interpret them like they were food, but they aren't.

There's no food here.

Nothing of nutritional value.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ewe2 posted:

Eventually! At the end! Your horse nitwit! And thanks! Just a touch of Fawlty Towers tourettes, it'll heal :v:

Sometimes I don't know how to respond when people are kind so I make bad jokes. You can probably imagine how often this has been happening lately but I made myself tell my fellow goons about it in hope that it might save someone else's eyes and maybe get some better jokes in return!

QED!

I had to laugh at the ad at the end. Narcissists are bad! Also, we can train you to look cool and confident! We're not weird or anything but we need money! :thunk:

I know,going through a serious illness is one thing,having to constantly explain what happened to everyone who doesn't know is another thing and entirely exhausting within itself.
Don't stop making jokes though,if i hadn't have pulled people legs once or twice and took the piss i'd have felt even worse.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gosts posted:

oh my god are those rocks?? are those supposed to be tasteful rocks everywhere?? they're all the same rock. every rock is the same rock. They look like clams maybe?? I literally thought they were clams at first, like it's a big seafood buffet. And I was looking at other objects and trying to interpret them like they were food, but they aren't.
I'm guessing those are massage stones. To be used by the player you hired to tend to your avatar's every virtual need during QT. But just like the pilot you hired THE SECOND WINE GLASS IS NOT FOR THEM

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Agony Aunt posted:

Such an accurate title he needed 4 copies just to drive the point home.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Nothing's happened, and Sq42 is still in Quarter 2 :shrug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFvsCStxQx0

Latest video has been received well.... :ohdear:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

These are extremely easy to follow and understand and are definite proof the game is real and coming along fine, and not at all complete and utter obfuscation that has no bearing on the actual state of the project.

Charts are proof. E.L.E.? More like Q.E.D.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Colostomy Bag posted:

So what's the deal with the hanger and the 890? Is it a new hanger because the size of the ship or what?

The hanger is in the ship- it's big enough that it has a garage in it, and you're supposed to be able to land ships in it and spawn them and launch them and all that.

CIG can't get that working from totally stationary landing pads. Now they're pretending they're about to release a player-controlled ship with a functioning version. They keep showing off screenshots and loving panoramas of it- but they never, ever show it in action.

You get one guess why.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Holy gently caress. I just had a thought. I'm just gonna put it out there and you guys let me know what you think.

"I don't think Chris Roberts knows what he is doing"

There, I've said it. So help me God.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Scruffpuff posted:

These are extremely easy to follow and understand and are definite proof the game is real and coming along fine, and not at all complete and utter obfuscation that has no bearing on the actual state of the project.
big fan of how the rate of progress on all those S42 missions quadruples from this moment on

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sindai posted:

big fan of how the rate of progress on all those S42 missions quadruples from this moment on

"What are 'missions' anyway?" - Chris Roberts three weeks after the release of Squadron 42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Sarsapariller posted:

The hanger is in the ship- it's big enough that it has a garage in it, and you're supposed to be able to land ships in it and spawn them and launch them and all that.

CIG can't get that working from totally stationary landing pads. Now they're pretending they're about to release a player-controlled ship with a functioning version. They keep showing off screenshots and loving panoramas of it- but they never, ever show it in action.

You get one guess why.

:smuggo: