Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Megasabin posted:

How do I get more bait for fishing?

There’s posts like this and then there’s posts that look like CIA documents that describe ultimately where the story goes for each route.

I heard someone was gonna make a spoiler thread. Has that been done yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Leal posted:

I see you get a skill when you get full points in a class, does this also extend to commoner and noble or should I swap out of those as soon as I hit level 5?

Mastering Noble/Commoner gets you HP +5

Deified Data posted:

I picked Golden Deers, so is there any reason to do stuff like share meals with students from other houses or otherwise worrying about their affection?

The higher Byleth’s support ranks are with another character the easier it is to recruit them

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Anyone have any tips on chapter 4, where there's this doofus named Death Knight and he drops a thing that I want? I tried using a gambit to move him off of his avoid tile, but that didn't seem to work. Plus, he easily one-round kills anyone I could possibly throw at him. is this really worth the effort?

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.
I'm just starting chapter 2, but when they say you need to increase your skills with lances, magic...etc for recruiting, does that specifically mean Blyeth's stats, or just anyone in your army? Cause otherwise I'll have to make myself into a real loving jack-of-all-trades if I'm gonna start recruiting people.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

inthesto posted:

Anyone have any tips on chapter 4, where there's this doofus named Death Knight and he drops a thing that I want? I tried using a gambit to move him off of his avoid tile, but that didn't seem to work. Plus, he easily one-round kills anyone I could possibly throw at him. is this really worth the effort?
You will have another chance to get that item in a few chapters. The result is the same even if you beat them during that first encounter. The DK runs away. Dark Seals aren't that important anyway.
I suggest leveling a Thief/someone with Steal equipped in the future.

hamburgers in pockets posted:

I'm just starting chapter 2, but when they say you need to increase your skills with lances, magic...etc for recruiting, does that specifically mean Blyeth's stats, or just anyone in your army? Cause otherwise I'll have to make myself into a real loving jack-of-all-trades if I'm gonna start recruiting people.
Recruitment requirements are only tied to Byleth's stats and skills. Make sure you save before Recruiting because you can only ask someone once per Exploration.

Byleth ends up being an absolute beast anyway and will generally be overleveled. Having a higher skill than your students gives you a professor bonus during 1 on 1 instruction.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Gyoru posted:

You will have another chance to get that item in a few chapters. The result is the same even if you beat them during that first encounter. The DK runs away. Dark Seals aren't that important anyway.
I suggest leveling a Thief/someone with Steal equipped in the future.

Thanks for the tip. I like to beat optional bosses just to say that I did it, but it looks like this is one for when I have a much better handle of what's going on under the hood.

I just realized that this is the first FE game I've ever played where everything hasn't been mapped out extensively. Weird experience.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

So is Hard like, really hard or "if you've played FE games before, choose this"?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

So is Hard like, really hard or "if you've played FE games before, choose this"?

The second for me so far, but I'm only 3 chapters in.

What do you guys do on weekend? I've been battling if there's a level appropriate one and then doing lectures/exploration with rests only when nobody has full motivation which almost never happens. Lectures upping motivation means that you can almost always instruct someone during the week.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the latter, easily

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Miftan posted:

The second for me so far, but I'm only 3 chapters in.

What do you guys do on weekend? I've been battling if there's a level appropriate one and then doing lectures/exploration with rests only when nobody has full motivation which almost never happens. Lectures upping motivation means that you can almost always instruct someone during the week.

Exploration 24/7. Getting maximum professor points lead to more activity points and money per month, as well as additional mechanics like Supporting in battle.

Even if you cleared out all the quests on the first week, harvesting plants every week is just free, big prof points and more items for you to give to students to raise support levels (this massively helps poaching).

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Miftan posted:

I never Rest or do Seminars. There are only so many weekends in the game so it's more important to do Exploration or Battles only when you have a quest, a Paralogue, or Rare Monster sighting available. A lot of Paralogues have expiration dates. You can easily manage Motivation during an Exploration with gifts, lost item fetching, or dinners.

I generally do 1-2 explorations a month and a battle. I'm in the second school year about 40 hours in (early copy okay).

Hard gets pretty easy by the time you get Advanced classes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I'm getting a lot of real weak level ups but the growths in this game seem on the low end so maybe that's intentional. Annette and Mercedes consistently have their poo poo together so there's that at any rate, and all whoopty Dedue needs is to go stand out there and let the waves break upon him.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

inthesto posted:

My Strategy was to basically pile on every damage dealing Gambit I had on his rear end to weaken him so that my Lance User could use the Anti-Mounted Combat Art and finish him off without him ever getting to attack back.
This is on Normal/Casual though where I was probably grossly overpowered from grinding some earlier.

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Like four hours in and I think the games great, but I want to knock up the difficulty, and am hemming and hawing if I should start over and speed through to where I'm up to...

Anyway, I always find it a little annoying when games will let you drop the difficulty mid playthrough, but not up it. I'm sure there are probably mechanical reasons and stuff, but it's still a pain.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Apparently I am more out of practice at Fire Emblem than I thought and I'm having a slight bit of trouble with the first non-tutorial battle (the Rivalry of the Houses battle). I'm playing Golden Deer--which units did you find were the most useful to bring along for that fight on Hard? I can't seem to decide who'd be the best (small) squad for that.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hocus Pocus posted:

Like four hours in and I think the games great, but I want to knock up the difficulty, and am hemming and hawing if I should start over and speed through to where I'm up to...

Anyway, I always find it a little annoying when games will let you drop the difficulty mid playthrough, but not up it. I'm sure there are probably mechanical reasons and stuff, but it's still a pain.

I have never played an emblem game, what difficulty should I use?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Normal difficulty, "Hard" mode is barely much harder, but does require you to think a turn or two ahead so you don't end up killing units on accident

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Just play on normal, unless you're very accustomed to playing similar games (i.e. XCOM)

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Battles are way less tactical than previous ones so try Hard and drop it if it’s too much. Or save Hard for a different House play through.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Hand Row posted:

Battles are way less tactical than previous ones so try Hard and drop it if it’s too much. Or save Hard for a different House play through.

It doesn’t seem like there’s actually any way to drop your difficulty in this one.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

dmboogie posted:

It doesn’t seem like there’s actually any way to drop your difficulty in this one.

i can find how in the options menu

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i can find how in the options menu

I’m blind, ty

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i'm finding myself still needing to play safe on normal so i'm content with my choice

maybe it all snowballs into easy baby hell as characters get stats to not be doubled and to actually hit the broad side of a barn tho so :shrug:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Questions:

Does finding lost items require a unit to tell you they've lost something? Or what? Dorothea told me she lost a shirt, and Caspar made some quip about how this cloth he found made a great sweat rag, but I didn't acquire any item to return. Was that just coincidence?

How do Byleth's skills increase? If you can apparently recruit everyone, I intend to try, but I have no idea how Byleth gets better other than changing between classes which I can't do yet (I just finished the Ch. 1 or 2 Mock Battle thing)

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

All you need to know you’re in for a real treat is to hear the guard in the first few minutes saying “drat” with about as much emotion as a sack of potatoes

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Annath posted:

Questions:

Does finding lost items require a unit to tell you they've lost something? Or what? Dorothea told me she lost a shirt, and Caspar made some quip about how this cloth he found made a great sweat rag, but I didn't acquire any item to return. Was that just coincidence?

How do Byleth's skills increase? If you can apparently recruit everyone, I intend to try, but I have no idea how Byleth gets better other than changing between classes which I can't do yet (I just finished the Ch. 1 or 2 Mock Battle thing)

You'll get a quest from Jeralt to find something for him, then that unlocks the Lost Item option when talking to everyone in the monastery. They are just found from those glowing blue lights scattered around, it's not a person-to-person thing. I never saw any resolution that those particular lines that did seem like they were leading to some item recovery or something, who knows.

You can get tutoring from other professors/knights at the monastery in their area of expertise during Exploration soon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Annath posted:

Questions:

For the first, that's just background chatter don't worry about it. The lost items are things you pick up from blue sparklies and will say things like "THIS IS A BOOK, IT LOOKS LIKE THIS ITEM BELONGS TO A HUGE FUKKEN NERD" and thing you check out every need you know to see if it's theirs

For the second: you get the ability to use activity points to get skill boosts from other professors during exploration, plus seminars on Sundays will give you solid boosts

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Annath posted:

Questions:

byleth can attend seminars and get tutored by the other professors and knights during exploration. lost items can just be turned in whenever you find them; i'm not sure the bit with dorothea actually indicates a lost item.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

poo poo i shouldn't have spent 200g on flowers for ferdinand when i don't intend on poaching him, have i

though if poaching is really as easy as folks here have indicated maybe i can get him anyway after i've nabbed the other targets

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Q: What does it mean when the pond is glowing? I just finished fishing and all of a sudden there's a golden glow to it that I didn't notice before.

Annath posted:

Questions:

You probably haven't found a "Lost Item" yet, because they're physical items you'll find on the ground. What you just saw was a cute little interaction hinting that the mechanic exists. Once you pick it up, everyone has the same unique item they'll lose every time so it's just a matter of finding where that person is.

:siren: If the character you're returning an item to is already in your class and maxed out happiness, wait a week before returning it :siren:

Here's the list of missing items since you're fairly close to unlocking them

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Annath posted:

Questions:

You get a quest in like month 3 to find Jeralt's lost item, and that unlocks the ability to return Lost Items to everyone else.

The only ways to get Reason, Faith, Armor, Riding, and Flying off the ground for Byleth are to do seminars (only available for the first two) or get Faculty Instruction. Another quest with Manuela unlocks Faculty Instruction; it appears at the same time as Jeralt's quest.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I've only played for like an hour, but this game seems good as hell.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Claude is my friend and I like my deer house except for that one snobby blue-haired weirdo, I'm going to recruit him into House Trashcan because he is garbage.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Annath posted:

Questions:

That one got me pretty good for a moment becuase I ran back to Casper after Dorothea mentioned it and Byleth gave out a "..." so I thought I was on to something but it turns out their just really stone cold.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Claude is my friend and I like my deer house except for that one snobby blue-haired weirdo, I'm going to recruit him into House Trashcan because he is garbage.

lorenz is a huge piece of poo poo

i love him

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Harrow posted:

Apparently I am more out of practice at Fire Emblem than I thought and I'm having a slight bit of trouble with the first non-tutorial battle (the Rivalry of the Houses battle). I'm playing Golden Deer--which units did you find were the most useful to bring along for that fight on Hard? I can't seem to decide who'd be the best (small) squad for that.

I brought along Marianne for healing and Leonie and Hilda as frontliners. Thinking back Raphael probably would’ve been a better choice than Hilda

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Scrap Dragon posted:

I brought along Marianne for healing and Leonie and Hilda as frontliners. Thinking back Raphael probably would’ve been a better choice than Hilda

I did the same thing and managed to corral everyone fine with some Vulnerary usage. I kinda split my party up at first to handle the separate houses' frontliners, then used terrain to minimize damage from the rest of the losers. Not that it was easy, some of those other students are drat sturdy.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Mega64 posted:

Lorenz has good growths and is fancy lad who runs down people on his horse :mad:

If you think Lorenz is an rear end in a top hat let me introduce you to 15 year old workaholic Cyril (recruit him asap, he's free/Donnel)

kid gives no fucks when dealing with people

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

my dumbass tried having lysithea tank hannemann and dorothea and it almost ended disastrously

i think i got everyone (hilda, marianne, and lysithea) a level so it was all good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Can you play on hard with no perma death?

That’s my only reservation right now. The perma death thing breaks my brain and I end up giving up because of a bullshit death and turns start taking me forever because I’m dumb at these games.