Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

rapeface posted:

I really don't see how it makes the show pointless if the theme was how abusers delude everyone including themselves about their actions (if that even is the theme). I don't really see the central core of the show as the power of love.
David was willing to just stay at Clockwork forever with Farouk in his head until he saw Syd. She's the most important catalyst of the series, beginning the rescue of David by Summerland and falling in love with David in the process. Most of the season plays out centered on how his relationship with Syd is helping him heal and how his powers allow Syd to feel the human connection she'd been missing her whole life because she couldn't touch other people. If that entire thing is a farce, then you're basically hallowing out the pumpkin of what was once a hopeful show and are instead presenting a spooky jack-o-lantern to make a statement about abuse using the carving knife of superpowered mutants with god-like powers. Yeah... no, that doesn't jive with me.
I hope you liked my awful metaphor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Corte posted:

I'm not saying Switch isn't being influenced by David. There's the scene where he is preaching to his flock and sends out those good vibes, Switch is clearly affected by that. Otherwise I haven't seen anything to suggest David is controlling her directly. Keep in mind she came to him and clearly has her own motivations, it also just makes for a more interesting story. If you're saying the last scene was meant to show David exerting his power to control Switch I didn't read it that way. I didn't interpret their interaction as her refusing David, she certainly was questioning him about how he felt about murdering most of Division 3. I think the musical sequence was a creative device to bookend this arc of the season, reflect on how far the characters have come and lead us into the final stretch.

I think the musical sequences are most definitely Noah Hawley in part doing his thing and creating a weird Legion aesthetic, but these tropes of synchronization/choreography are just so prevalent and fit in too well with the show's overarching themes of power and control for us to outright shrug off the possibility that they directly signify psychic powers at work.

Also, just fyi David quite literally said something to the effect of "wake up my darling" before Switch emerged from that protective pod and relegated Farouk to the world beyond time. So yeah there's that, the druggy cult scene where she partakes in the blue stuff, the fact that she's "willing" to inflict self-harm to serve David's agenda, the bit where she appears as a wind-up robot...again, too much going on there to discount the possibility that David is just using his powers on her. Though I do agree that her backstory (with her time traveling dad and robot-phobia) is still a big question mark so who knows what's really going on with them (maybe Switch's pops is being trapped in time by the blue meanies beyond her powers, and David himself is being used to help him get free).

Nonetheless I do think the nature of being controlled directly via powers vs. indirectly via personal insecurities being taken advantage of etc. is one of the show's central contrasts, so yeah they're also being purposefully ambiguous about it at times. Like Farouk could very well be manipulating Division 3 through his powers, but he's also leveraging their very understandable fear of David in a strategic fashion. Lenny was mind-controlled on a couple occasions, but was also kind of indebted to David for rescuing her from Division 3. Etc, etc.

night slime
May 14, 2014
https://imgur.com/a/PzBXhFP Rewatching random episodes cause some of S2 is kind of a drag and noticed this.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
idk if any of u have caught the extremely subtle drug use allegories and metaphors that are sprinkled very sparingly throughout the show, but imo, they point towards a theme of addiction, not abuse

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I'm still amazed I didn't see the connection to 'Clockworks' and all the time travel until just yesterday.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The difference is between the diegetic and non-diegetic music/songs.

If it's background music, then whatever.

But if we're seeing people singing the song, then there's fuckery about.

I think the choice of David singing Peace Love and Understanding when Switch was clearly uncomfortable with the idea of another big time jump was him stating how he wants everyone around David to treat him, and Switch being gungho to go after the song I think is pretty supportive of this

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Wafflecopper posted:

I wasn't referring to that, I meant in the time demon episode when he was saying (paraphrasing) "we have to go back again!" and she was saying "no I can't it's too much", he says "do I have to force you?" before they're interrupted by the demons.
I would interpret that as him not having done so yet, I'm not saying he isn't capable or willing to and he's clearly become more unhinged since then.

Vernacular posted:

I think the musical sequences are most definitely Noah Hawley in part doing his thing and creating a weird Legion aesthetic, but these tropes of synchronization/choreography are just so prevalent and fit in too well with the show's overarching themes of power and control for us to outright shrug off the possibility that they directly signify psychic powers at work.

Also, just fyi David quite literally said something to the effect of "wake up my darling" before Switch emerged from that protective pod and relegated Farouk to the world beyond time. So yeah there's that, the druggy cult scene where she partakes in the blue stuff, the fact that she's "willing" to inflict self-harm to serve David's agenda, the bit where she appears as a wind-up robot...again, too much going on there to discount the possibility that David is just using his powers on her. Though I do agree that her backstory (with her time traveling dad and robot-phobia) is still a big question mark so who knows what's really going on with them (maybe Switch's pops is being trapped in time by the blue meanies beyond her powers, and David himself is being used to help him get free).

Nonetheless I do think the nature of being controlled directly via powers vs. indirectly via personal insecurities being taken advantage of etc. is one of the show's central contrasts, so yeah they're also being purposefully ambiguous about it at times. Like Farouk could very well be manipulating Division 3 through his powers, but he's also leveraging their very understandable fear of David in a strategic fashion. Lenny was mind-controlled on a couple occasions, but was also kind of indebted to David for rescuing her from Division 3. Etc, etc.
I'm not arguing that Switch isn't under David's influence just that I don't think the final scene was meant to symbolize him manipulating her but I could be mistaken. I agree with your point about control and also would add that it's about what you would do if you had David's problems and power.

scary ghost dog posted:

idk if any of u have caught the extremely subtle drug use allegories and metaphors that are sprinkled very sparingly throughout the show, but imo, they point towards a theme of addiction, not abuse
It's almost like the show could have multiple themes and address more than one particular subject... but that's just ridiculous.

JossiRossi posted:

I think the choice of David singing Peace Love and Understanding when Switch was clearly uncomfortable with the idea of another big time jump was him stating how he wants everyone around David to treat him, and Switch being gungho to go after the song I think is pretty supportive of this
It's possible but I don't see it like that, she didn't appear any different to me after the song. She was still hesitant and nervous about going through with what David was asking. Keep in mind Switch came to David's cult of her own free will and saved his life multiple times before he could ever exert control over her. Even in the latest episode she helped send a phased out Farouk to the time between time.

I go back to what DaveKap stressed which is that if you choose to believe these characters have no, or little, agency and are directly under David's or Farouk's influence the story is far less interesting.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

DaveKap posted:

David was willing to just stay at Clockwork forever with Farouk in his head until he saw Syd. She's the most important catalyst of the series, beginning the rescue of David by Summerland and falling in love with David in the process. Most of the season plays out centered on how his relationship with Syd is helping him heal and how his powers allow Syd to feel the human connection she'd been missing her whole life because she couldn't touch other people. If that entire thing is a farce, then you're basically hallowing out the pumpkin of what was once a hopeful show and are instead presenting a spooky jack-o-lantern to make a statement about abuse using the carving knife of superpowered mutants with god-like powers. Yeah... no, that doesn't jive with me.

Yeah, that's why I bailed on the show at the end of Season 2.

Season 1 was all about how David, a guy with infinite potential but also very deep problems, overcame his mental illness and junkie past with his friends' and lover's help to become a better person. The entire "Like a Rainbow" sequence was one of the cutest things I've ever seen.

Season 2 was about, lol, jk dude with mental illness was always a monster and that scene was literally mind rape

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Falling in love with a manic pixie dream girl doesn't actually solve your deep seeded issues, cute as it may be.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

ashpanash posted:

Falling in love with a manic pixie dream girl doesn't actually solve your deep seeded issues, cute as it may be.

Ahem, let me please direct you to Zach Braff's classic Garden State. Maybe Syd just isn't MPDG enough.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
in all the drug use through the various animal themed vaporizers and huge rear end bongs - and actual pigs I guess lol - its never really shown how the smoke is generated, or what the drug(s) actually are.

for example the opening of s2 e6 shows a woman in the "wealthy evil david" timeline hitting a bigass bong filled with red liquid and smoke. almost every animal device only ever shows them adding the liquid, then smoke pouring out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rocksicles posted:

I never said he was, i said it's a symptom of various, including that. Empathy is something you can lose from depression or never have at all. But David doesn't just have stock standard BPD, he literally collects multiple personalities all bouncing ideas off himself. He is Legion so, you can't pin everything going wrong with him on any particular thing. He's bascially cloud storage for hosed up thoughts and feelings.

He has to have some sort of agency. It robs the story if a character isn't able to make any choices in it. And his choices are really, really bad.

That aside, plenty of people in irl have hosed up thoughts and feelings. It doesn't absolve you from acting on them tho.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

ex post facho posted:

in all the drug use through the various animal themed vaporizers and huge rear end bongs - and actual pigs I guess lol - its never really shown how the smoke is generated, or what the drug(s) actually are.

for example the opening of s2 e6 shows a woman in the "wealthy evil david" timeline hitting a bigass bong filled with red liquid and smoke. almost every animal device only ever shows them adding the liquid, then smoke pouring out.

its an alternate timeline where vapes got invented in the 60s by a tasteless southern grandma

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Corte posted:

I go back to what DaveKap stressed which is that if you choose to believe these characters have no, or little, agency and are directly under David's or Farouk's influence the story is far less interesting.

Didn't David literally say "Don't make me force you-" before being interrupted a couple eps ago?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
David was insane because of his mother. The shadow king kept it in check.

Notice the angriest boy alive doll she had long before the shadow king came along?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

ded posted:

David was insane because of his mother. The shadow king kept it in check.

Notice the angriest boy alive doll she had long before the shadow king came along?

I do wonder how much was the Shadowking, and how much was David's illness. The shadowking is a sadistic jerk, but he also took the form of a beloved dog and best friend. However, the most I will definitely say about Farouk's potential "not bad guy-ness" is that with him around there would never have been the Room of Davids.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Didn't Farouk spend quite a lot of time intentionally tormenting David by appearing to him as his horrible goblin form or as the angriest boy alive and scaring the poo poo out of him though?

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Shageletic posted:

Didn't David literally say "Don't make me force you-" before being interrupted a couple eps ago?

Wafflecopter brought this up and I suggested that could mean he hasn't forced her to do anything yet. Even if he isn't overtly or directly manipulating her with his powers he is still a charismatic leader that is influencing her.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nephthys posted:

Didn't Farouk spend quite a lot of time intentionally tormenting David by appearing to him as his horrible goblin form or as the angriest boy alive and scaring the poo poo out of him though?

Farouk’s a parasite, no matter how classy he acts. He finds the most powerful psychic within arms reach and latches onto them, I.e. Oliver, who had to encase himself in a mind prison to keep Farouk out. There’s a bit where he’s using Lenny as a psychiatrist to torment David and compares her/himself to a fungus that grows in an ant’s brain to take it over.

He’s suave and charismatic but never forget that, no matter how he frames it, he is 100% an amoral parasitic manipulator.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shageletic posted:

He has to have some sort of agency. It robs the story if a character isn't able to make any choices in it. And his choices are really, really bad.

That aside, plenty of people in irl have hosed up thoughts and feelings. It doesn't absolve you from acting on them tho.

He's making choices, he's choosing to be a selfish murderer. But there is a root cause that needs to be understood, that's how people are treated. Not trying to diagnose him, but this is what we are getting at. You can be Hannibal Lecter and people still want to shrink your head.

Also, he's about 10,000 leagues ahead of your run of the mill headcase with a knife yelling about the government.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I’m kind of still all in with David. It seems like the main reason his people have turned on him is that they’ve decided that he’s too powerful to be left, that his very existence threatens the world. It’s kind of like the argument that leftists offer for classicide against billionaires. The way I see it, this indicates not that these powerful men are too strong, but that the world is too fragile.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jul 27, 2019

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

General Dog posted:

I’m kind of still all in with David. It seems like the main reason his people have turned on him is that they’ve decided that he’s too powerful to be left, that his very existence threatens the world. It’s kind of like the argument that leftists offer for classicide against billionaires. The way I see it, this indicates not that these powerful men are too strong, but that the world is too fragile.

Yes, the reason why everyone turned on David IS because he's just too powerful, totally not because of his choices and behaviour throughout the show.

Also comparing it to the argument that leftists want clsssicide is lol, but ok, let's go there. It's a theme in the show that power does corrupt. The two most powerful people on this show are amoral and devoted completely to their own desires. SK starts off that way and hasn't changed. I would hypothesise that maybe he started off with ideals and visions of changing the world for the better (like many billionaires!), but over the many years he spent honing his powers, he gradually lost any perspective beyond his own, and his vision that he is the only one worthy, until David came along, and now he seems to view the world as their playground and the people around them as pawns, as ants, to do with what they will. Sounds a lot like a lot of billionaires to me.

David is following the same path. He views the world in a solipsistic manner, to him he is the only important person, he doesn't care about anybody else because he's in pain, because people didn't treat him right, so now he's going to take that out on everybody else until he can find a way to undo everything that he thinks made him this way. He literally views himself as a god and fails to recognize the autonomy of a single other person on the show.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

General Dog posted:

interesting take thats very similar to a sincere reading of harrison bergeron

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i think that since david can remake the world it means hes a good guy who can fix everyones problems. the people trying to stop him are bad because theyre just afraid of his strength. -little jimmys book report age 11

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DaveKap posted:

Look, if you like a story about the redemptive power of love better than a story of obsession and power abuse, that's fine, but that doesn't mean there aren't others that think the use of psychic powers as a metaphor for power abuse is a clever and cool.

scary ghost dog posted:

i think that since david can remake the world it means hes a good guy who can fix everyones problems. the people trying to stop him are bad because theyre just afraid of his strength. -little jimmys book report age 11

the ubermensch must not let the slave morality of the lesser to hold him back from the will to power

crepeface fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 27, 2019

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
a lot of the drama purposely turns on the simultaneous imperative and the impossibility of reaching an entirely coherent judgment of david's condition (sane/insane; inside/outside a conventional human construction of reality) and upon that basis a judgment of his actions. if he's insane he can't be responsible. if he's sane he is responsible. does he understand and engage with reality in the same fundamental way that we do? if not: it's not clear we share a common moral language.

Zane fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 27, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zane posted:

a lot of the drama purposely turns on the simultaneous imperative and the impossibility of reaching an entirely coherent judgment of david's condition (sane/insane; inside/outside a conventional human construction reality) and upon that basis a judgment of his actions. if he's insane he can't be responsible. if he's sane he is responsible. does he understand and engage with reality in the same fundamental way that we do? if not: it's not clear we share a common moral language.

counterpoint if you're insane and you kill someone you still get removed from the general populace if you're a danger to others.

We can make a judgement on his morals and his actions because he is a character that someone has created/interpreted to tell a story with a point. If David is not responsible for his actions and cannot make choices then he's almost, by definition, not a character in the narrative sense and is only a representation of a concept for the real characters to choose how to react to.

You might say his actions are justified or understandable within the reality of the fiction, but we still get to make a judgement on his actions, because that's the point of fiction.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

rapeface posted:

counterpoint if you're insane and you kill someone you still get removed from the general populace if you're a danger to others.

We can make a judgement on his morals and his actions because he is a character that someone has created/interpreted to tell a story with a point. If David is not responsible for his actions and cannot make choices then he's almost, by definition, not a character in the narrative sense and is only a representation of a concept for the real characters to choose how to react to.

You might say his actions are justified or understandable within the reality of the fiction, but we still get to make a judgement on his actions, because that's the point of fiction.
a judgment only has decisive social relevance if it is equally applicable to every participant: which is premised on a basic intersubjective recognition of our shared human terms of existence; on a set of basic capacities and limitations. david is not so constituted: it isn't completely clear to him that the things in the world are separate from his own mind or that the world even has a basic time/space consistency and recurrence from one moment to the next. it isn't clear what claims other people exert upon him in these exceptional conditions. not when they might be a) illusions from his own craziness; b) from another timeline; c) manipulations from farouk; d) people he's consciously (re)created; e) completely independent.

you are correct on some level that problematizing free will--more fundamentally: stable intersubjective reality--is a threat to the basic conditions of constructive social representation. but imaginative fiction has always dramatized this problem: the limitation that people--and characters modeled upon people--have always had in making their own internal drives, constructions, imperatives, consistent with and accountable to the external constraints/expectations of the social world. our judgments of david are fully warranted and we would be entirely justified in removing him from the human community. but our judgment is limited and confused by the weird metaphysics of the situation and it furthermore has no coercive power over him if he were real -- which might be another basic source of narrative drama.

Zane fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Jul 27, 2019

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Zane posted:

a judgment only has decisive social relevance if it is equally applicable to every participant: which is premised on a basic intersubjective recognition of our shared human terms of existence; on a set of basic capacities and limitations. david is not so constituted: it isn't completely clear to him that the things in the world are separate from his own mind or that the world even has a basic time/space consistency and recurrence from one moment to the next. it isn't clear what claims other people exert upon him in these exceptional conditions. not when they might be a) illusions from his own craziness; b) from another timeline; c) manipulations from farouk; d) people he's consciously (re)created; e) completely independent.

Those "exceptional conditions" don't exist in a vacuum, you cannot look at them outside of a deliberate construction. And there's nothing that suggests that David believes his actions aren't affecting a real world. Even If he did think that, what's the purpose behind such a construction?

Suppose you take the view that David believes the current world he acts within isn't real because he can time travel. We, the audience, are told it is real (within the fiction) and that it does matter. We are informed this by the narrative structure, and we are told outright by Syd.

A story about a powerful character who cannot distinguish reality from delusion doesn't stop the power abuse theme. The fact that he can't accept other entities as having their own valid viewpoints whether through madness or otherwise actually adds to the theme of corrupting power, it doesn't reduce it.

Zane posted:

you are correct on some level that problematizing free will--more fundamentally: stable intersubjective reality--is a threat to the basic conditions of constructive social representation. but imaginative fiction has always dramatized this problem: the limitation that people--and characters modeled upon people--have always had in making their own internal drives, constructions, imperatives, consistent with and accountable to the external constraints/expectations of the social world. our judgments of david are fully warranted and we would be entirely justified in removing him from the human community. but our judgment is limited and confused by the weird metaphysics of the situation and it furthermore has no coercive power over him if he were real -- which might be another basic source of narrative drama.

We do not need to consider anything of David's unknown internal drives/etc (except for what we can infer from what we can see), because that's what the author chose to show. You can judge, in fact you have to, otherwise all analysis of fiction would be impossible.

night slime
May 14, 2014

rapeface posted:

Those "exceptional conditions" don't exist in a vacuum, you cannot look at them outside of a deliberate construction. And there's nothing that suggests that David believes his actions aren't affecting a real world. Even If he did think that, what's the purpose behind such a construction?

Suppose you take the view that David believes the current world he acts within isn't real because he can time travel. We, the audience, are told it is real (within the fiction) and that it does matter. We are informed this by the narrative structure, and we are told outright by Syd.

He tells both Syd and Switch that it doesn't matter he killed people since he gets a do-over. Kinda more than "nothing to suggest" I think.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

night slime posted:

He tells both Syd and Switch that it doesn't matter he killed people since he gets a do-over. Kinda more than "nothing to suggest" I think.

I think the second paragraph in my quote block addresses that? Even if he really does believe that, we, the audience, know he's wrong. We believe other characters opinions matter and he doesn't. Although, let me clarify that I think that David believes his actions affect people who are
a) real;
b) from his current timeline;
c) not actively being manipulated by farouk;
d) not people he's consciously (re)created;
e) entities in their own right.
but he thinks he has the power/plan to make those actions not have consequences.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

rapeface posted:

Look, if you like a story about the redemptive power of love better than a story of obsession and power abuse, that's fine, but that doesn't mean there aren't others that think the use of psychic powers as a metaphor for power abuse is a clever and cool.
If that's what the story was supposed to be about, it should've indicated as such in the first season. Pulling people in with one theme then twisting it around one year later is a bad faith gesture on the part of the show runners unless it has a positive payoff. Especially when the linchpin of your power abuse metaphor is "what if someone reverses a brainwashing and gets called a rapist for it?"

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I know, I was pretty pissed when I found out he was a ghost for the entire movie.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

poo poo, why did I even bother trying to explain it to rapeface of all people.

Anyway, I do love this season's hypothetical time traveler's quandary of whether or not the means of murder justify the ends of saving everyone's lives and am looking forward to where they end up.

rapeface posted:

Even if he really does believe that, we, the audience, know he's wrong.
Considering we've seen at least 5 or 7 alternate timelines during this series, I'm not so sure.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 27, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

DaveKap posted:

If that's what the story was supposed to be about, it should've indicated as such in the first season. Pulling people in with one theme then twisting it around one year later is a bad faith gesture on the part of the show runners unless it has a positive payoff. Especially when the linchpin of your power abuse metaphor is "what if someone reverses a brainwashing and gets called a rapist for it?"

This is such a weird and self-limiting way to think.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

DaveKap posted:

Italics and boldface

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

DaveKap posted:

Considering we've seen at least 5 or 7 alternate timelines during this series, I'm not so sure.

If you think all other characters in the current timeline don't matter except to be empty vessels for the protagonist to act upon then idk what to tell you dude.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 27, 2019

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

DaveKap posted:

Surely you realise there is interest to be had in an ethical situation which is clearly so open to interpretation that I could vehemently disagree with your "simple description of the facts".

I think it is definitely the case that in retrospect, one of the jobs of season one was bringing you into empathy with David so that it could later be flipped around but my dude anti-heroes are a massive part of our culture now and you'll find plenty of other shows that betray their beginnings in similar ways.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "positive payoff". I'm enjoying season three, is my enjoyment a positive payoff, or do you mean a positive outcome for a character or something?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Argh this is why I shouldn't post before going to sleep. I completely gloss over the important bits of what I'm trying to argue and look stupid. That post is fair game, have at it.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

Italics and boldface
But yes, I do love italics and boldface. Considering how easy it is to lose emphasis and subtlety via the form of text communication, I'm all about italics and boldface.

Anyway, the point I was trying to make wasn't so much that a piece of entertainment can't change its themes mid-series...

rapeface posted:

I know, I was pretty pissed when I found out he was a ghost for the entire movie.
...but I don't think comparing a single 2 hour chunk to 20 hours spread over a year makes sense either.

The point I was trying to make was that the specific flip-flop Legion made was one that exploited its viewers. This is why you get posts like this:

Chokes McGee posted:

Yeah, that's why I bailed on the show at the end of Season 2.
Season 1 had a very positive and obvious theme. Abandoned and hunted people who were victims of their own birth came together against those who hunted them. The audience is brought in for something familiar but wild set against the mutant super powers that most of the mutants felt was a curse. It was great!

Season 2 had a very confusing theme. You had the pokeball, Farouk's body, future Syd, the Minotaur, the desert, the monk, chattering teeth, Division 3... in the end the whole thing felt like it was being weird for weird's sake and not because it had anything to say. But Season 2 ended with a specific point. The Season 1 "good guys" believed David raped Syd.

Again, before this scene happened, I never read anyone mention that they thought David was manipulating Syd in any way. Yet now that this scene is out there, the positive theme of Season 1 clashes with the themes of power, abuse, and manipulation in a way that, to some, could easily feel like an exploitation of the positive feelings one had for Season 1 of the show.
"Remember how you enjoyed this scene, audience member?"
https://i.imgur.com/hpshAQI.mp4
"David manipulated Syd into doing that! You never should have enjoyed that! Haw haw!"
In a way, it's brilliant. The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd. That's some solid immersion! In another way, that's how you lose enough viewers to have to cut your show down to a 3-season stint. (Was it always supposed to be 3 seasons? I actually don't know.) The flip flopped too hard and rubs people the wrong way. And in the end, I still have no idea if half the crazy poo poo that happened in Season 2 was for any good reason for anyone, be it characters in the show, how the show is perceived by an audience, or some long-term plot that's going to get snuffed 3 episodes from now.

Actually, since some of ya'll are rewatching older episodes, maybe you can help me out. What was the point of transforming David's sister? What was the point of the Minotuar's existence in the cave? I'm still hopeful we get an answer about that pokeball in the final episodes.

Even if I'm wrong about all this, I think this is a great discussion and at the very least have to credit the show for making it worth talking about.

rapeface posted:

If you think all other characters in the current timeline don't matter except to be empty vessels for the protagonist to act upon then idk what to tell you dude.
This is really not what I'm trying to get at. At all. But that's probably because I was misreading what you were trying to get at. All I'm saying is that we've seen multiple timelines so far and the people in those timelines no longer matter to us because we have the people we're watching in the current timeline. They matter until they don't. The next episode could have David change the past in such a way that he doesn't ever become Legion, nobody's being hunted by Division 3, and everyone lives happily ever after, the show ends, and then yeah, everyone we know now doesn't matter because the show canonically ended with everyone being happy before "The End" appeared on the screen. There's actually a lot of media that does this and people tend to strongly love or hate when it happens and your side tends to be based on whether you think previous timelines are invalidated or not. I don't really have an opinion in this case because the show isn't over but we've seen 2 "David dies" timelines get invalidated in rapid fashion. Should we or shouldn't we care about the dead Davids and the murderous Syds? There is no universally agreed upon answer.

Chadzok posted:

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "positive payoff". I'm enjoying season three, is my enjoyment a positive payoff, or do you mean a positive outcome for a character or something?
When I say "positive payoff" I mean it more as an amalgamation. It's a combination of your entertainment, the message the show runners are trying to impart, how successfully they impart it, how the characters in the show end up, and how successful the show is. It's not like... logically measurable or anything, just more of a vibe you get and an understanding of the series as a whole and how it affects you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

quote:

The show has exploited the viewer in the same way David may have exploited Syd.

Are you implying that this show has raped its viewers?