Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i liked the beach scene a lot, because it shows Jimmy trying to de-compress after all the terrible poo poo that happened in the Library - and his candidate for helping him do so is Lars, who, with his unjudgemental and childish personality, is probably the closest thing Jimmy had to a friend. many of the previous continents were reflective of Jimmy's family in some way, but this one is basically Jimmy designing an adventure that's meant for Lars, which will become clearer as it goes on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Solitair posted:

I saw GP set up his recording bot and mistook it for an invitation to join his chat channel. Whoops!

Don't sweat it <3 you're fun and we're doing this for fun.

Also, Lars being Jimmy's friend brings up an interesting point: All of our party members have been adults. If this were a traditional RPG, it would have been us and friends. That's got to have been a conscious choice.

Lars is...well, Lars. The question is whether kasey meant for us to dump on Lars for this line because everyone dumps on Lars. Lars is designed to take punishment.

Neither faan nor I are fuzzo or bc rocks. They'll probably show feet though.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 26, 2019

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Fantasy: Alex from Yuk
Reality: Lars

That scene isn't really a tonal shift for Lars as it is showing more of his true colors. The game has pointed out his non-existent self-esteem a few times, and it's implied that Andrew doesn't like him. So it's not too surprising to find out that he's a stereotypical weeb/goon.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

Lars is...well, Lars. The question is whether kasey meant for us to dump on Lars for this line because everyone dumps on Lars. Lars is designed to take punishment.

lars is 100% an abject loser and lines like the above are definitely meant to elicit a :yikes: reaction from the player

but the stuff that makes him a loser - he's a shut-in manchild with zero self-esteem who'd rather stay in playing with his toys and games than go out and find a job - also lets him get on extremely well with jimmy, since he shares most of jimmy's interests and sets zero expectations for him. so while jimmy's version of him is caricatured (though probably less than we'd hope), his presence after the library showdown is telling - when jimmy's at his lowest, it's lars who comes to help him

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
reflecting on Lars' goodness: early on in the game he would make infinite ants on a log for Jimmy if you went back home after running out. Lars always has Jimmy's back

reflecting on the weirdness of Jimmy's family: I ir was when GAMM-E had everyone... maybe later. Buck said something along the lines of leaving everyone else behind and going off with just Jimmy and Helga to just be. I take it Andrew's relationship with both his sons is a bit strained. And Buck almost never even acknowledges Lars' existence so there's that.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dash Rendar posted:

reflecting on Lars' goodness: early on in the game he would make infinite ants on a log for Jimmy if you went back home after running out. Lars always has Jimmy's back

reflecting on the weirdness of Jimmy's family: I ir was when GAMM-E had everyone... maybe later. Buck said something along the lines of leaving everyone else behind and going off with just Jimmy and Helga to just be. I take it Andrew's relationship with both his sons is a bit strained. And Buck almost never even acknowledges Lars' existence so there's that.

buck sees nerds in infrared. looking at lars is like staring into the sun

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
So I'm a little further than the LP, but I've noticed some pretty important poo poo I've probably missed. How do you get those enemy descriptions? Or the area descriptions? I also feel like I've missed a lot of optional dungeons and maybe sidequests. Is there a way to more easily find that stuff other than just backtracking and searching through every single place?

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The enemy descriptions are given to you at random for stealing knowledge from Bookworms If I recall correctly. Most of the areas in this game don't look huge so backtracking for secrets hopefully isn't too much of an issue.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Elswyyr posted:

So I'm a little further than the LP, but I've noticed some pretty important poo poo I've probably missed. How do you get those enemy descriptions? Or the area descriptions? I also feel like I've missed a lot of optional dungeons and maybe sidequests. Is there a way to more easily find that stuff other than just backtracking and searching through every single place?

I do a mixture of the wiki and Kamigeno/VoiceofDog's LPs.

When you grift from the bookworms, they'll give you knowledge about the enemies. I suspect Solitair is just wrenching open the RPGmaker files and sharing them with us, which is great.

I think the only sidequest we've done is the Cordelia Mouse muffin delivery.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

Also, Lars being Jimmy's friend brings up an interesting point: All of our party members have been adults. If this were a traditional RPG, it would have been us and friends. That's got to have been a conscious choice.

Ooof, yeah, now that you mention it, that's a powerful bit of unsaid plot reinforcement.

People do tend to avoid you when you're sick. I'd imagine it's even worse with little kids, because kids often don't know how to communicate that they're uncomfortable around someone. Worse, their parents may be unsettled by having their child around a sick child, or even stupid enough to think their kid will get sick. Also, cancer often leaves a person immunocompromised, so they'd have to be isolated away from other people for their own health. Ugh.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Dunno if this should be spoilered since it's something that can be taken care of now, but gameplay advice for GrandmaParty: Since Helga is out of your party, have you returned to Legato to commit an act of theft yet?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Leroy Dennui posted:

Dunno if this should be spoilered since it's something that can be taken care of now, but gameplay advice for GrandmaParty: Since Helga is out of your party, have you returned to Legato to commit an act of theft yet?

Grandma? Do crimes? NEVER.

Before we leave the sixth island, hopefully.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 26, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Interesting that after palling around with family all game so far, we've now got a party of people who don't like each other, even if they all like Jimmy. Although it mostly seems to be Andrew at the centre of that. Probably doesn't reflect too well on what Jimmy thinks of his father...

Come to think of it, what does Punch Tanaka represent in Jimmy's life? All of the party members so far have been things that really existed (his family and his teddy bear) but Jimmy probably doesn't know any free-as-a-bird rebel cool guys.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Interesting that after palling around with family all game so far, we've now got a party of people who don't like each other, even if they all like Jimmy. Although it mostly seems to be Andrew at the centre of that. Probably doesn't reflect too well on what Jimmy thinks of his father...

Come to think of it, what does Punch Tanaka represent in Jimmy's life? All of the party members so far have been things that really existed (his family and his teddy bear) but Jimmy probably doesn't know any free-as-a-bird rebel cool guys.

jimmy loves everyone in his family, just for different reasons. he's really proud of his dad's intelligence (indicated by his presence in the story as Man Who Knows Literally Everything) and andrew spent plenty of time with him as well, but at the same time it means jimmy's also afraid that he's unable to live up to andrew's example. andrew's disdainful of lars in the dream because he's disdainful of lars in real life, and for pretty obvious reasons. dude's nice as anything but he's the platonic ideal of a freeloader

punch tanaka is the incarnation of everything jimmy find awesome. jimmy has excellent taste

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm married to an Asian woman and she is definitely not nice to me all the time, don't be fooled Lars.

We have watched anime together though, but not lately.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait

GrandmaParty posted:

Commentary On

Look, just because you can't reach the apex of the first pyramid in Immortal Redneck doesn't mean you can slander me like that. :colbert:

Also, the whole beach scene with Lars feels like a reference to the beach scene from Link's Awakening. Kind of a weird choice given the conversation they have.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

JetpackJeezus posted:

Look, just because you can't reach the apex of the first pyramid in Immortal Redneck doesn't mean you can slander me like that. :colbert:

I couldn't get there because someone said "Hey you should only get one gun" and I ran out of bullets and had to throw my gun at monsters to kill them :colbert:

:love:

Huh. I'd never seen that Link's Awakening scene before. There's definitely a parallel.

Tenebrais posted:

Kasey's said that Punch is the coolest poo poo Jimmy could think of.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jul 26, 2019

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

It sort of starts like Lars's dream beach, and then the fish take over.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

GrandmaParty posted:

I do a mixture of the wiki and Kamigeno/VoiceofDog's LPs.

When you grift from the bookworms, they'll give you knowledge about the enemies. I suspect Solitair is just wrenching open the RPGmaker files and sharing them with us, which is great.

Nah, I'm also getting those off the wiki. Someone else did the hard work for me.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

by "i'll add your guys ice creams in a couple hours" what i really meant is "i'll add it in tomorrow hours"

this is getting out of control. who allowed this child to have this much ice cream?? there is no way this will end well

bonus:

theres two salted caramel on there so I guess he really likes that (there would have been three but solitair said that or cookie dough)

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Who gave him that much ice cream? There's no way that will end well.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Grandma, I drew for you a picture of your favorite daddy

print it out and place it on the fridge for me

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2019

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Oh my god I will let me get to my office this weekend

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Plant MONSTER. posted:

holy poo poo excellent

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

woof

Taberquol
Jun 16, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

:five:

So much good art! Kad, that ice cream tower is beautiful thing of wonders.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm married to an Asian woman and she is definitely not nice to me all the time, don't be fooled Lars.
My ex is Chinese and definitely not the submissive type. She's since married a Pakistani man and that's caused some culture clashes. Example: she went to the wedding of an in-law there and was horrified at how women are practically groomed to be wives. Their interviews with the family is something out of the beginning of Coming To America: they just give the answers that the husband's family wants to hear.

She took the bride-to-be aside and asked if she was really interested in just cooking, cleaning, and caring for the kids. Her response was, "Of course not. I want to drive race cars."

:smith:

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

But wheres the sprinkles? 8 yearolds like Jimmy love jimmies.

Also

Woof

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Fat and Useless posted:

But wheres the sprinkles? 8 yearolds like Jimmy love jimmies.

Also

Woof

There might be sprinkles (and a cherry!) When I update it one last time.

If there's anyone who Has Not suggested an ice cream flavor, now is your last chance!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mocha chip!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Sexy Lars pic if we meet the stretch goal, btw.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Is that because it doesn't fit in the standard resolution?

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Kad posted:

If there's anyone who Has Not suggested an ice cream flavor, now is your last chance!

Phish Food!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

hmm this might be a probatable offense i dunno

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Dash Rendar posted:

hmm this might be a probatable offense i dunno

What if it's tasteful? No beans or pickle.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

What if it's tasteful? No beans or pickle.

Then what's the fuckin point?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if it's Lars it better be tasteless

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
if it doesn't contain a trilby, a katana, and a badly photoshopped lovestruck rainbow dash I'm burning this whole thing down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:hai: