Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

habeasdorkus posted:

WTF? Profit-taking for a year and then planning to go straight back down?

Norwich are in a weird position where our recruitment over the last two years has been so implausibly good that prior to this window every position but 2 were already at or in some cases far above the ceiling of quality you'd expect to see playing for Norwich. So now the vast majority of players that would improve the team are way out of our price range.

The best work our DOF has done this window is signing up almost the entire squad to new long term contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Big Huski Boi posted:

William Saliba to Arsenal (and then immediately back to St Etienne) is a done deal: https://www.arsenal.com/news/salibasigns-saliba-join-club

Also confirmed: Arsenal's social media people have lost their minds.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1154421068846784515
https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1154426106319167488

Lol wtf

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

drat wasn't Andre player of the month after his first few matches for Swansea what happened to him?

Andre Ayew was always poo poo but people thought he was good because he scored some late consolation goals for us. We were awful when he played. As soon as he was dropped the team improved massively (Gylfi especially, Andre kept literally getting in his way in front of goal when he was supposed to be playing right wing). Guidolin sussed him out day one and it's one of the reasons Huw Jenkins turned on him imo. A lot of costly business done with the Ayews/Gomis' agent.

Bringing Andre back from West Ham would be the most obvious-at-the-time transfer failure in our history had we not signed Wilf back that same season.

He's on at least £80k a week for another two seasons.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

I too think Arsenal signing a French child and completely ignoring the worst area of their team is "savvy".

Ceballos is an ok signing but it doesn't fit my narrative so I left him out to suit my own agenda.

brasstassels
Oct 26, 2007

An Actual Bear posted:

I too think Arsenal signing a French child and completely ignoring the worst area of their team is "savvy".

Ceballos is an ok signing but it doesn't fit my narrative so I left him out to suit my own agenda.

Ceballos looks to be a good player but it's just a loan with no option to buy which is not "savvy" for what's supposed to be a top 6 team

Small club mindset, basically

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

An Actual Bear posted:

How do you pick one worst area?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Backdoor Delivery posted:

It’s the one where Mustafi is

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Seriously though, you can't. People think we should prioritize a center back but even the best center back in the world can't do poo poo when you've got Xhaka constantly losing possession in midfield, two full backs who barely defend, and wide players who don't cover for those full backs' attacking runs (incidentally our only reliable source of offense).

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
De Rossi to Boca Juniors is pretty much a done deal but it be bolded on monday.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

hello i am phone posted:

De Rossi to Boca Juniors is pretty much a done deal but it be bolded on monday.

https://twitter.com/BocaJrsOficial/status/1154489168296157184?s=20

done deal

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know gently caress all about Boca really but this seems like a cool transfer to me. Hell, I may subscribe to Mundial because of it.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
De Rossi wants to wear the colors (officially, not as a full kit wanker) & that's cool and good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Bruce has said Newcastle are after Allan Saint-Maximin and he was left out of Nice's pre-season match against Boavista

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Alderweireld's 25M release clause has expired, so I guess he just plays out the last season of the contract.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

There’s definitely something dodgy about him besides the wage demands.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It's hard to really tell, but I haven't seen much in the last 4 years. I do question his agent, since he didn't get big moves to Atletico or when he was loaned over to Southampton. There were some rumors that none of the top clubs wanted him and that he didn't want to take a step down...but even at 30 you'd think 25 M gets you a quality defender for at least the next 3 seasons.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i'd never heard of jarrod bowen before we were linked with him but he scored 22 goals in the championship last season and is only 22 so sign him up bruce/charnley/ashley

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

i'd never heard of jarrod bowen before we were linked with him but he scored 22 goals in the championship last season and is only 22 so sign him up bruce/charnley/ashley

Hull have only got two good players and he's one of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Micah Richards to retirement is a done deal

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

This is what the telegraph reckon. (Cut and paste because of paywall.)

quote:

It looked like the easiest deal of the summer and yet Toby Alderweireld’s £25million Tottenham Hotspur release clause this week expired leaving the Belgian to consider whether or not to run down his final year or sign a new contract with the club.

As reported by Telegraph Sport, Spurs chairman Daniel Levy will now tell any club that comes calling late for Alderweireld that his price is £40m which further increases the prospect of him starting the season in Mauricio Pochettino’s defence.

The obvious question is why? Why do Manchester United think that Harry Maguire is worth £55m more than Alderweireld? Why did Manchester City not turn to the former Southampton man after deciding they would go no higher than £65m for Maguire? And why haven’t one of Europe’s top clubs seized on the opportunity to sign the central defender?
Perhaps the easiest of those questions to answer is that of City, whose signing of Spanish midfielder Rodri filled their foreign quota for their Premier League and Champions League squads.

City are now under pressure to make sure that any further additions are home-grown unless they can sell some of their foreign fringe players who could then be replaced. The situation in part explains the possibility of a move for Bournemouth defender Nathan Ake before the transfer window shuts because the Holland international qualifies as home-grown thanks to his Chelsea upbringing.

United’s stance is more difficult to explain. Alderweireld has been on a list of their back-up options to £80m-rated Maguire, but a number of pundits and observers have expressed the opinion that he should have been their first choice.

Certainly his age counted against him. At 30, Alderweireld is four years older than Maguire and would want at least £200,000-a-week which is considerably more than the England international would demand to move to Old Trafford.

But even a difference of around £5m-a-year in wages would only make up £20m, spread over four years, of the £55m more United would have to spend on Maguire in comparison to what they could have got Alderweireld for.

To put the fee set in the clause into some kind of context, Aston Villa agreed a deal worth £26.5m for Tyrone Mings and Brighton and Burnley put £40m valuations on Lewis Dunk and James Tarkowski.

Alderweireld has won 90 international caps for Belgium, which is 67 more than Maguire, Dunk, Tarkowski and Mings have amassed between them.

There is, of course, no guarantee Alderweireld would have wanted to leave Tottenham for United, given Spurs reached last season’s Champions League final and Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s team will this season compete in the Europa League.

Alderweireld has not chased a move away from Tottenham this summer and that may be because the prospect of United was not particularly appealing. Similarly, Roma’s interest was not deemed worth fighting over and the Italians could never afford to put together an attractive package.

Juventus might have managed to turn Alderweireld’s head, but the Italians signed 19-year-old Matthijs de Ligt from Ajax and Inter Milan preferred 33-year-old free agent Diego Godin.

The likelihood of Alderweireld staying at Tottenham has been welcomed by the club’s supporters, but it may not represent such good news for Pochettino and chairman Daniel Levy if he does not extend his contract.

Alderweireld was one of the players who could have earned the club money to boost their transfer funds, while Pochettino may not relish being forced to rely on a man running down his final 12 months - however committed the player claims to be.

Pochettino this week vowed not to speak on transfers or contract situations, which perhaps suggested he is not completely satisfied with the supposed summer rebuild so far.

The only winner in the Alderweireld puzzle seems to be the player himself. He will either earn a lucrative new contract at Tottenham or leave on a free transfer with the associated personal riches this time next year.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Jose posted:

Micah Richards to retirement is a done deal

Wow I thought that happened a decade ago.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Xabi posted:

He only just turned 31 a month ago as well

Dog Pipes
Jan 17, 2015

Xabi posted:

He was getting paid £60k per week by Villa to sit in the physios room for the last four years or something. To be fair to him, he had a very unusual meniscus tear injury that meant he lost pretty much all cartilage in his knee to the point that he had more or less bone on bone contact.

He seems like a very decent sort, too. A shame for him:

“I’m a footballer and I want to play football, but the knee would swell up to the point where I couldn’t even train properly,” he reflected. “I would have liked to have given Aston Villa more on the pitch, but it just wasn’t to be."

https://www.mancity.com/news/club-news/club-news/2019/july/man-city-micah-richards-retires

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Owns

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
So it sounds like Spurs only offered like half the amount for Dybala that had been reported. PSG are in for him now, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him go there, and they could make the type of offer that would help offset all of Juve's spending this summer.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

trem_two posted:

So it sounds like Spurs only offered like half the amount for Dybala that had been reported. PSG are in for him now, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see him go there, and they could make the type of offer that would help offset all of Juve's spending this summer.

It seems like that story was leaked by the spurs pr team. I'm not quite why but would I reckon must be more to do with tussling with betis rather than a genuine bid. That is purely speculation though.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?

https://twitter.com/BocaJrsOficial/status/1154818594921992192

Bolded
4 years contract with no release clausule so I guess he'll be in the MLS by January 2020.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Jose posted:

Don’t you already have Dwight Gayle? He’s literally the exact same player

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

straight up brolic posted:

Gayle is older and injury prone

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Every time someone talks about Gayle I still immediately think of Marcus Gayle

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

straight up brolic posted:

Never seen Dwight Gayle carve his way through a midfield.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Bale is apparently going to get a million a week in China.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Cutrone left Milan’s summer tour today presumably to go finalize the deal to Wolves. Pretty bummed out about it to be honest. I hope he does well.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Bale is apparently going to get a million a week in China.

If Giggs had any balls he'd drop the greedy oval office

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

If Giggs had any balls he'd drop the greedy oval office

why

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I don't think Liverpool are going to sign anyone else for the rest of the summer window and it may not end well unless multiple youth players turn out to be superstars.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

This is in an ideal world, of course he wont because he's their best player, sells shirts etc but he clearly does not give a poo poo about playing high quality competitive football anymore and just wants a big sack of cash before he retires. I bet if China hadn't offered him stupid money he'd have been happy to run out his contract and play golf all day if he could. They're never going to get anywhere with the current squad they have even with Bale and too much of the focus is on him in the welsh team and promoting some young blood to take his place wouldn't be the worst idea.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Is this the weekend web thread?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Just Chamber posted:

This is in an ideal world, of course he wont because he's their best player, sells shirts etc but he clearly does not give a poo poo about playing high quality competitive football anymore and just wants a big sack of cash before he retires. I bet if China hadn't offered him stupid money he'd have been happy to run out his contract and play golf all day if he could. They're never going to get anywhere with the current squad they have even with Bale and too much of the focus is on him in the welsh team and promoting some young blood to take his place wouldn't be the worst idea.

Are any of your opinions not from reactionary tabloids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Total Meatlove posted:

Are any of your opinions not from reactionary tabloids?

Isn't the general tabloid view that Bale is being treated so poorly by Real Madrid and he should go to a top flight club and play actual competitive football again?

He literally could have gone to any top team in the world if he'd taken a pay cut. I just think a player who'd rather play in one of the lowest tiers of football available to them clearly isn't committed to the game and it sets a bad image, why not give that opportunity to a younger player he's keeping out of the squad? Wales aren't progressing atm with or without him.

But please explain why I'm wrong in your opinion.

edit: He's 30 so if he wants to gently caress off to China and get his last pay day good for him, I just think it shows that money is his number one priority now rather than playing the best football he can play. Imo it says a lot about someone and their love of the game if they'd rather take 1 million a week to play for some random Chinese club, than reduce their demands to say 250k a week and play Champions League football for probably any other team in the world not called Real Madrid.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jul 27, 2019