Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you know you can just like make a family right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The posters in this thread are my family.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats the spirit

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tollymain posted:

HAving been a fly on a wall for some of these I think Im going to stick with the ditch

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Real talk, if that idea was implemented, and kids arent forced to live with their parents and they bail at the first feasible opportunity, then the end result would probably be a mix of 20-person communes or 20-person condo complexes (depending on how much social interaction people want with others), with most buildings having a trust maintaining the building and acting as the "family" for the purposes of inheritance once the ideal of the concept gets eroded through legislature

Which is basically just public housing with HOAs

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Control Volume posted:

Real talk, if that idea was implemented, and kids arent forced to live with their parents and they bail at the first feasible opportunity, then the end result would probably be a mix of 20-person communes or 20-person condo complexes (depending on how much social interaction people want with others), with most buildings having a trust maintaining the building and acting as the "family" for the purposes of inheritance once the ideal of the concept gets eroded enough in legislature

Which is basically just public housing with HOAs
Turning capitalism upon itself is practically zen.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

Turning capitalism upon itself is practically zen.

That end state is assuming strong government oversight, because the end state could also very easily settle on being atomized libertarian hell-buildings without good gov regulation

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they shouldn't be enforced, just merely encouraged. as much as I hate my family sometimes I'd be pretty comfortable in a big clan compound. but in like, a city, these arent viable anyway so who gives a poo poo. probably theres a better thing to do than give every 18 year old an apartment if they want, but I'm not convinced that would be a giant burden on space anyway

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

what is a housing co-op and how do I organize one

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

A MIRACLE posted:

For a single building, you start a corporation that owns the building, and give out a share to each occupied unit. You can also go the community land trust route if you want to deal with detached single-family homes, where people own the building but not the land itself

As to how to get the money to actually buy the building/land to start out, I dont have a drat clue

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tollymain posted:

I need private space to do my jackin’

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

christmas boots posted:

Too bad communism abolished doors

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

christmas boots posted:

What if a CPAP machine, but for your dick?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Control Volume posted:

I will willingly die in a ditch before moving back in with my parents

I love my parent to death, but never want to move back home again. And that's factoring out a useless sibling with whom I've never gotten along.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

A MIRACLE posted:

you know how people used to play co-op halo and kill each other during it and teabag the dead? it's like that but with housing.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

There are prisons in Louisiana where they literally make them pick cotton by hand.

Angola, the prison where this happens, is called Angola because that's the name of the plantation it was before it was a prison.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Bushiz posted:

Angola, the prison where this happens, is called Angola because that's the name of the plantation it was before it was a prison.

There are others. You drive north to Arkansas and you drive by them.

typewriter
Jul 3, 2013
My last apartment in college, there was random poo poo from the past 10+ tenants (oldest thing I found was a rent payment receipt from 2001). The landlord was like 75 or something and I doubt she ever visited the property. There was supposed to be a key to the complex's pool but she was too lazy to take the 20 minute drive to hand me the key (I doubt she had it).

During my stay there an insurance inspector came and took a look around, and told me that my apartment was a slum.. That was good to hear. There was mold everywhere and the stove didn't work, among many other issues. I didn't mind much, I guess I'm too slovenly to notice.

What really pissed me off though, she decided to sell the apartment (probably because the insurance company was trying to make her do lots of expensive repairs because the place was literally falling apart, cracks in the walls and filled with mold). When me and my housemates moved out she was pissed off because of all the trash left behind (random furniture and crap from dozens of other tenants that belonged to none of us, mind you all three of us had different leases so there wasn't really any sense of mutual responsibility for this garbage dump) and she charged us for the garbage hauling fee for all the trash that accumulated over decades.

You've ripped off how many students and you can't pay the loving hauling fee before you sell this piece of poo poo to some unsuspecting family you trick into thinking it's a good investment? (she never fixed the structural issues, but she got a new paint job so nobody could tell its falling apart of course)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
I've been lucky when it came to landlords, but I guess that's because I never rented an apartment, rather a room/in law unit with the landlord or leasee.

There were whole streets of single family homes in San Jose that were rented out like this, just the landlord or leasee staying in the master bedroom and renting out individual bedrooms.

Perhaps living within strangling distance of your landlords made them nicer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

Had a falling out with family who were helping to pay for it and so I maxed out a card with a $1k limit to be able to live and couldn't find a job in time before it went into default/collections.

Yeah I mean the thing isn't on my credit anymore but nonetheless my credit is still 620 and I can't rebuild it because I can't even get a credit card.

Not that it matters much because I can't save up a down payment anyway so it's whatever really.

My credit rating was 589 because of a couple credit cards (both for $2.5k) that ended up going into collections in ~2013. I was able to get a high interest (but 0 annual fee) Capital One card and after a year of using it regularly my credit rating is now ~700. Unfortunately, more than just your credit rating is apparently considered for loans; I'm trying to get a car loan, and even though my credit rating is semi-decent, the credit card default still on my history was enough to have my application rejected (they specifically told me that was why).

I'm now waiting until January/February 2020, which is when those cards should both leave my report (in theory, at least).

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Panfilo posted:

If that kentucky fried landlord from earlier in the thread is any indication, nope. It's probably more that they're landlords renting out their own living spaces, rather than people who invest in property purely to try and generate profit by renting.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

A MIRACLE posted:

It's usually a bunch of religious wackos

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

A MIRACLE posted:

My friend does this. He and a group of people buy derelict houses from the city, rehab them and rent them below market rate. They only have 3 houses so it’s not very big. They also have chickens and vegetable plots in the yards.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Woof Blitzer posted:

My friend does this. He and a group of people buy derelict houses from the city, rehab them and rent them below market rate. They only have 3 houses so it’s not very big. They also have chickens and vegetable plots in the yards.

this is probably the only ethical way to be a landlord, except maybe renting out a spare bedroom in your house or something

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

my plan is either to move back to the smoky mountains that I hail from or stay in LA and try to organize something like that

LA is cool because there are a bunch of “bungalow court” properties that are basically 6-10 Spanish style tiny homes on a plot together, it seems perfect for a communal living situation

LA is bad for other reasons but I think this could work. but I have only enough money for a down payment on a normal house so it’s going to take more time to get there.

all my friends in LA are too poor to own or invest so I have to do it. new job interview this week that could pay a lot (like guillotine.jpg amounts of money) so we’ll see

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Guillotine worthiness isn't based on salary.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
it is based on closeness to the algorithim

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Guillotine worthiness isn't based on salary.

counterpoint: HENRYs

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Panfilo posted:

I've been lucky when it came to landlords, but I guess that's because I never rented an apartment, rather a room/in law unit with the landlord or leasee.

There were whole streets of single family homes in San Jose that were rented out like this, just the landlord or leasee staying in the master bedroom and renting out individual bedrooms.

I remember literally the entire block i lived on in san jose as a kid was duplexes so makes sense

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
There was a group in B.C, I'm not sure if they're still around, but they were a land co-op. They realized that the there's no reason to keep buying/selling the same land over and over when it adds so much to the price of the house. So they bought a ton of derelict properties and set up a cooperative organization that owns the land. The houses on it are bought/sold just like regular houses but for a reduced price because the land isn't part of the sale.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

SardonicTyrant posted:

D-PAP

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SardonicTyrant posted:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

My credit rating was 589 because of a couple credit cards (both for $2.5k) that ended up going into collections in ~2013. I was able to get a high interest (but 0 annual fee) Capital One card and after a year of using it regularly my credit rating is now ~700. Unfortunately, more than just your credit rating is apparently considered for loans; I'm trying to get a car loan, and even though my credit rating is semi-decent, the credit card default still on my history was enough to have my application rejected (they specifically told me that was why).

I'm now waiting until January/February 2020, which is when those cards should both leave my report (in theory, at least).

you should dispute it, say it should have fallen off already, chances are they’ll just take them off. I recently did the same thing for every negative mark on my credit report and got stuff taken off a couple years early

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Had an apartment with an ex about two years ago in Jersey City, NJ. Landlord seemed nice enough from the start, was understanding about neither of us having the greatest credit score. Mine had tanked from my father opening a credit card in my name without telling me (thanks dad lol) and my ex had basically non-existent credit. Apartment is great for 4 or 5 months until bed bugs show up.

We let the landlord know right away and an exterminator is sent to our place immediately. The guy gives us a set of instructions to follow before he fumigates and we follow them exactly. This turns into about 2 weeks of him texting us that we didn’t follow some weird instruction that was absolutely not mentioned to us on the previous visit. We talk to some other tenants in the building and find out they have bed bugs as well and the exterminator is hitting them with the same bullshit. It’s pretty apparent at this point that the entire building is heavily infested and we’re all being strung along. Jersey City has some good tenant laws when it comes to bed bugs and after some research we find out an infestation that large turns the apartment into an unlivable situation and we should be able to break the lease without penalty.

Us being naive baby idiots, we send a polite email to the landlord saying we can’t be expected to live in these conditions and we’re gonna have to break the lease. It doesn’t take long for this lady to send an extremely long email telling us that we didn’t follow the exterminators instructions from the start, that we might’ve been the ones to infest the entire building, and that she would be filing an eviction on us immediately. My ex was lucky enough to have lawyer family who immediately sent our landlord a pretty aggressive email and she agreed to let us break the lease a few days later.

The worst part of this whole ordeal wasn’t the bed bugs but that since the landlord filed for an eviction against us it now shows up in every background check when I apply for an apartment even though I wasn’t actually evicted. I’ve had landlords tell
me right out that they rejected my application because they noticed an eviction was filed against me in the past.

tl;dr gently caress landlords

Ghosthotel has issued a correction as of 07:28 on Jul 29, 2019

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah, you turned out to be in the right, but you questioned a landlord

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

the us model of moving out at 18 and never coming back is an anomaly compared to the rest of the world.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The US is generally an anomaly and probably a massive mistake that doomed us all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Heartcatch posted:

The US is generally an anomaly and probably a massive mistake that doomed us all.

It is Capitalism's second-to-final form.