Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Skwirl posted:

Jason Aaron's Avengers is pretty good. I liked the run of Uncanny Avengers that had Deadpool with Rogue leading the team. There's a solo graphic novel for Squirrel Girl called Squirrel Girl Beats Up the Marvel Universe that's by the same writer/artist as the main series, I don't know if that would have been included in your read through of the trades. Before US Avengers Squirrel Girl was on New Avengers, same writer so you might not enjoy it, but I did like New Avengers more than US Avengers. here's the first trade for that https://www.amazon.com/New-Avengers-I-M-Everything-i-m/dp/078519648X

Good stuff, thanks!

Yeah I do have the Squirrel Girl Beats up the MU book. I kinda love everything in those.

I'll take a look at those Avengers books!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

New Leaf posted:

Good stuff, thanks!

Yeah I do have the Squirrel Girl Beats up the MU book. I kinda love everything in those.

I'll take a look at those Avengers books!

Do you only want Marvel comic recommendations?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

lifg posted:

Do you only want Marvel comic recommendations?

Yeah primarily. I read DC for years and years and just decided Marvel is more fun.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I wish they'd let Canadians have unlimited already

I’m a Canadian in Japan using it. It’s linked to my American amazon account.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

I just finished Berlin by Jason Lutes, loved it, and want to read more like it. What are some similar comics? I tend not to read comics outside a handful of webcomics, but some works I've liked are The Wire, Kill Six Billion Demons, and (not finished yet) the Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Bonus if it's a comic revolving around a city. Not totally sure how to describe it, but it's the vibe I got from Berlin, The Wire, and James Joyce's Dubliners.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Cerebus High Society, and if you like that then follow up with the two volumes of Church and State. Will Eisner's Contract with God. King City, if you want to get weird. Some runs on Daredevil really honed in on the life of NYC, but I can't remember which ones were best for that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I'd say Malinky Robot Colleciton, Hikari no Machi, Ant Colony and Love & Rockets would qualify, despite each being drastically different from the other. I'm not sure whether Elephantmen does, but I'm going to leave it as a wild card.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

lifg posted:

Cerebus High Society, and if you like that then follow up with the two volumes of Church and State. Will Eisner's Contract with God. King City, if you want to get weird. Some runs on Daredevil really honed in on the life of NYC, but I can't remember which ones were best for that.

I'll check those out. Is the first volume of Cerebus skippable, or is it worth reading?

Samuringa posted:

I'd say Malinky Robot Colleciton, Hikari no Machi, Ant Colony and Love & Rockets would qualify, despite each being drastically different from the other. I'm not sure whether Elephantmen does, but I'm going to leave it as a wild card.

Rad. I'll also look into these.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Karenina posted:

I'll check those out. Is the first volume of Cerebus skippable, or is it worth reading?

It sets up some of the major characters, but I don't *think* it's necessary.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Karenina posted:

Bonus if it's a comic revolving around a city. Not totally sure how to describe it, but it's the vibe I got from Berlin, The Wire, and James Joyce's Dubliners.

Building Stories by Chris Ware

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Karenina posted:

I just finished Berlin by Jason Lutes, loved it, and want to read more like it. What are some similar comics? I tend not to read comics outside a handful of webcomics, but some works I've liked are The Wire, Kill Six Billion Demons, and (not finished yet) the Legend of Galactic Heroes.

A comic based around a city (kind of) is City of Glass by David Mazzucchelli, based on the detective short story by Paul Auster might be up your alley.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
This has probably been answered a hundred times but....
With Saga on this stupidly long hiatus I noticed that my reading list is pretty much big two heavy, with Black Hammer and Gideon Falls being the only none big 2 titles I'm following so I was wondering what are some good non big two series to be reading. Something preferably new (ie from the last year or two or current). I'm not looking for any deep long runs I need to read several trades to catch up on (at least nothing like that for the moment) so recent stuff would be better.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

This has probably been answered a hundred times but....
With Saga on this stupidly long hiatus I noticed that my reading list is pretty much big two heavy, with Black Hammer and Gideon Falls being the only none big 2 titles I'm following so I was wondering what are some good non big two series to be reading. Something preferably new (ie from the last year or two or current). I'm not looking for any deep long runs I need to read several trades to catch up on (at least nothing like that for the moment) so recent stuff would be better.

I asked something similar recently and was recommended Die by Kieron Gillan, only 6 issues out so far.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Good, recent, non-big-two runs? Titles and # of volumes out for each...

Bitter Root 1 so far
Invisible Kingdom nearing 1
Little Bird 1 and done
Lady Killer 2 and maybe done?
Henchgirl 1 and done
Middlewest 1 so far
Kaijumax 3 so far
Flavor 1 so far
The Fix 3 and maybe done?
Kill Or Be Killed 4 and done
Ice Cream Man 1 so far
Monstress nearing 4 so far
God Country 1 and done
Mech Cadet Yu 3 and done

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Karenina posted:

Haven't read any of those, but I think you would love Terminal City, by Dean Motter and Michael Lark. Motter also wrote Mister X, about the architect of a city that drove people mad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In the shipping thread posts, with cover images I always try to give a little hype to the new comics that are starting that week. 3 out of the 5 slots'll usually be for indies.
Hopefully that helps people looking for new things to get in on the ground floor of.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 22, 2019

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Indies I’m pulling that are fairly near the start of the run:

Gogor
All Time Comics (just started volume 2)
Berserker Unbound
Sea of Stars
Die
Once and Future
Reaver
The white trees (this is just a two issue mini, by Chip Zdarsky and Kris Anka)
Planet Caravan

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Indie stuff that's newish I'm reading/have read and hasn't been mentioned:

Outpost Zero
Assassin Nation (this is done)
Pearl (published by DC, but I believe it's independently-owned)
Cover (see Pearl, but it's done)
Sonata
Coda (done)
Peter Cannon: Thunderbolt (done)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jordan7hm posted:

The white trees (this is just a two issue mini, by Chip Zdarsky and Kris Anka)

Is it? I was gonna get it digitally like most of my Image comics, but I may just get the floppies if it's two issues.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incidentally, Outpost Zero might qualify for "revolving around a city" if a space outpost on an ice planet in the future counts as a city.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
So I have a free month of Marvel Unlimited, and it's overwhelming. I'm going to try to read as much pre-'80s Miller and post-Born Again/pre-Guardian Devil Daredevil as I can, and all those McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man issues I couldn't afford as a teenager, but what else do I absolutely have to binge-read?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My read with a free month was Simonson's Thor.

I'd say Hickman's Avengers. It's long, but a little samey. It was enjoyable, but I regret buying the individual issues. It's perfect for binging on an all you can eat platform.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

So I have a free month of Marvel Unlimited, and it's overwhelming. I'm going to try to read as much pre-'80s Miller and post-Born Again/pre-Guardian Devil Daredevil as I can, and all those McFarlane Amazing Spider-Man issues I couldn't afford as a teenager, but what else do I absolutely have to binge-read?

Claremont's Uncanny X-Men and the orginal Lee/Kirby Fantastic Four are probably the two best/most important long runs Marvel ever published.

I think I like Bendis' Daredevil better than Miller's.

Ultimate Spider-Man is probably the only Ultimate series that has more good comics than bad, and even beyond that it's like 90% good comics.

Annihilation and then all the Abnett/Lanning cosmic stuff after (you'll probably need a reading list for that).

What other heroes do you like? We can probably point you to good runs for them, or other, similar stuff.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They just added the last missing issues for the Clone Saga! :v:

One thing about Marvel Unlimited is that effectively all of the significant runs are up there in their entirety. So the best thing to do with a free month is just go, "Oh, I've been meaning to read that," and go to town. But to mention a few less commonly talked about runs, Priest's Black Panther, all of the Damage Control books, and the Wolfman/Colan Tomb of Dracula are some interesting things.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks to the Batman Miniature game, me and my mate have been introduced to the wonderful snake people of Kobra.

Do they have any particularly notable storylines?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Cassa posted:

Thanks to the Batman Miniature game, me and my mate have been introduced to the wonderful snake people of Kobra.

Not what you're asking for, but they showed up a few times in the Batman Beyond cartoon, which is the only place I've seen them.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

He had his own series in the 1970's!

Do not read the 1970's series.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kobra is an even more blatant Hydra ripoff than Cobra.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Cassa posted:

The original Ostrander Suicide Squad had a pretty good Kobra story arc -- looking it up, it was issues #45-47.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Thanks y'all. Dunno why I thought there'd be more stuff about them...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cassa posted:

Thanks y'all. Dunno why I thought there'd be more stuff about them...

Kobra's been around a while so there's plenty of stories where they're the generic faceless thugs that get beat up. They're just not very interesting as villains.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bendis just used them in Action Comics.
Jimmy thinks his new girlfriend is taking him to a hot new underground club and ends up at a Kobra rally.

Then they all get vaporized

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

anywhere i should start if i wanted to get into valiant? any "must-read" series, new or old?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Parallax posted:

anywhere i should start if i wanted to get into valiant? any "must-read" series, new or old?

I admit that most of Valiant has left me cold, but I mostly enjoyed the recent (from within the last few years) Quantum and Woody and Archer and Armstrong titles. Those are both lighter "buddy comedy" action-adventure series. I never liked any of Valiant's '90s stuff.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I started with Jeff Lemire's 'The Valient' mini which led into his Bloodshot stuff. I can recommend that route.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

If you want to get a feel for the characters I think that starting Harbinger, X-O Manowar, or Bloodshot from the beginning (in 2012) is a pretty good idea, at least for a trade or two. Those cover the range of dramatic tones in Valiant pretty well and I would check out the titles Lou mentioned if you want some lighter fun. The origin stories covered in Harbinger and X-O have a lot of fundamental info about the world that the future comics build on.

The Valiant universe is pretty good about being really intertwined but not necessarily requiring you to read other titles to know what's going on, apart from a few event crossovers. It's more about understanding the shared worldbuilding than knowing what other characters are doing at the same time. To that end, some of my favorite later titles like Wrath of the Eternal Warrior or Imperium do benefit from having already lived in the universe for a bit. I wouldn't feel bad about jumping around or skipping stuff once you knows what interests you, but it's helpful to see the starting points of various storylines.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Selachian posted:

The original Ostrander Suicide Squad had a pretty good Kobra story arc -- looking it up, it was issues #45-47.

Ostrander's Suicide Squad had a few arcs revolving around Kobra, even early on. They pop up every now and again, including a recent-ish arc of the more recent Suicide Squad where they kidnapped Deadshot's daughter. I think they appeared in Checkmate as well.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I'm considering grabbing an Archie Unlimited account, what do people recommend outside of the Waid run and Afterlife with Archie?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Archie vs Predator
Archie - The Married Life

Criminal - Last of the Innocent (but that's Image)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I'm considering grabbing an Archie Unlimited account, what do people recommend outside of the Waid run and Afterlife with Archie?

Not sure how much that costs, but if your public library offers Hoopla, check that service out first. They have a ton of Archie comics available, both modern and going all the way back to the '40s. Every library system offers a different amount of Hoopla checkouts per month, though. (Mine only allows four.)