Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

MarcusSA posted:

Can you play on hard with no perma death?

That’s my only reservation right now. The perma death thing breaks my brain and I end up giving up because of a bullshit death and turns start taking me forever because I’m dumb at these games.

yep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

That’s my only reservation right now. The perma death thing breaks my brain and I end up giving up because of a bullshit death and turns start taking me forever because I’m dumb at these games.

Casual/Classic (permadeath) is a separate decision from Normal/Hard. You can totally do Hard/Casual if you want

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
select casual mode and you'll never worry about permadeath again

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Scrap Dragon posted:

The higher Byleth’s support ranks are with another character the easier it is to recruit them

So pointless for a faction leader then?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

MarcusSA posted:

Yes. You also get the ability to rewind time in the 2nd non-tutorial mission, so even the permadeath mode isn't as scary as in most other FE games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

select casual mode and you'll never worry about permadeath again

Excellent thank you. I love you all.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
when do you start getting paralogues? i'm at month 4 and haven't gotten any yet.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Hilda is a diamond in the rough and can shine in any of the Axe classes (armored knight for a few levels to get her durability up)
Marianne is the best healer among all the houses with early access to Physic
Lysithea is the only one who learns dark magic naturally and is an excellent Dancer candidate or Mortal Savant if you're crazy
Leonie wants to graft Jeralt's face to her face so she's a good cav/paladin
Raphael is a one dimensional boring character who can punch/axe thing good but no think
Lorenz's paralogue gives you an OP accessory
Ignatz wears glasses and is forgotten

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Deified Data posted:

So pointless for a faction leader then?

Yeah, it’s wasted on the faction leaders and their retainers. So don’t bother with Edelgard, Hubert, Dimitri, Dedue, or Claude

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Getting all the recruitable students doesn't seem like it'd be that hard tbh. I'm in month 7 and have picked up Leonie, Ingrid, Annette, Ashe and Raphael playing super suboptimally.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Claude

It's only chapter four how are you doubling enemies with a steel sword on hard mode

no you don't need more speed oh Christ you've gained strength 4 levels in a row oh he's gone rampant and stopped taking my commands poo poo poo poo poo poo

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also lol at the name loog

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gyoru posted:

Lysithea is the only one who learns dark magic naturally and is an excellent Dancer candidate or Mortal Savant if you're crazy

How can anyone be a good or bad dancer. Isn’t your most garbage trash unit the best candidate for dancer?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Dancers can use both reason and faith magic

Why waste a slot when you can have someone who excels at it all

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Gyoru posted:

Dancers can use both reason and faith magic

Why waste a slot when you can have someone who excels at it all

Dancers have literally nothing bases right? I’d rather someone be the refresher unit when they can’t contribute otherwise.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Gyoru posted:

Hilda is a diamond in the rough and can shine in any of the Axe classes (armored knight for a few levels to get her durability up)
Raphael is a one dimensional boring character who can punch/axe thing good but no think

Hubert also learns Dark magic, and Linhardt also gets early Physic.

Wanna steal Leonie to Evil House asap (F!Byleth so free Sylvain instead, who is currently doing a better impression of a useful redheaded spear guy than Ferdinand is)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gyoru posted:

ignatz gets +20 hit which makes him a good candidate for going heavy on axes and becoming a swole nerd

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Why did they have to put all the annoying awful characters in the best house (Black Eagles obviously)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
If I want to recruit many students from another house, should I focus my activity time upping their support and not worry about my home team?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Kingtheninja posted:

If I want to recruit many students from another house, should I focus my activity time upping their support and not worry about my home team?

Getting support levels with the other students will lower the requirements needed to recruit them, to the point a B-rank is basically a free pass apparently. But you probably shouldn't do it to much, that's also how you increase motivation. . .

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't think raising skill levels via motivation is really that much of a priority. The teaching lessons on the weekend give so much exp that a majority of my units are already C rank in 1-2 stats despite never doing battles outside of the end-of-month.

Just beat chapter 4, still rocking with about a quarter of my team not promoted but helped by a lot of front liners having a heal spell on their way to eventually being mortal savants.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I'm loving this game so far, but the teaching portions give me major anxiety because I feel like I'm always picking the wrong choice. Any recommendations for students to recruit if I'm on the black eagles?

How important is talking to everyone? It's kind of a pain to run around the whole campus to clear all the speech bubbles.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Remember to just pick your favourites

Burginator
Sep 10, 2007

Two ALL BEEF patties,
Special Sauce?
Let Us Cheese.
cool, UPS gave my order to one of my neighbors instead of me and they straight up stole it

so they have a signature saying I received the game, but I was definitely at work all day.

gently caress UPS

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I'm loving this game so far, but the teaching portions give me major anxiety because I feel like I'm always picking the wrong choice. Any recommendations for students to recruit if I'm on the black eagles?

How important is talking to everyone? It's kind of a pain to run around the whole campus to clear all the speech bubbles.

Quests are the priority, after all the game is semi-designed for everything to be skipped forever as an option.

If you just want to see the next line in power, look at what the students are good at. Look at the reclass menu and see which reclass they're closest to.

At worst, the students will straight up recommend you specific skills they would like to work on for a class.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Tae posted:

I don't think raising skill levels via motivation is really that much of a priority. The teaching lessons on the weekend give so much exp that a majority of my units are already C rank in 1-2 stats despite never doing battles outside of the end-of-month.

Just beat chapter 4, still rocking with about a quarter of my team not promoted but helped by a lot of front liners having a heal spell on their way to eventually being mortal savants.

Remember Mortal Savant is Swords/Reason.

The only master level classes that have faith as a requirement are Holy Knight and Gremory

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Ashe, buddy, I like you okay but you have had 4 bum levels in a row, your not even gaining loving speed. I can just buy keys if I want, to so I'mma need you to pull up on level 6 or it's the loving bench for you mister!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
marianne is kinda weird given the only mounted magic classes are magic only

she wants to be a dark flier in a game without one!!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When the tutorial for temporary recruits happened I saw they didn't gain exp and went "well why would I do that then" and completely forgot supports were a thing

on the other hand I'm fairly close to recruiting the one I was targetting the hard way

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gamerofthegame posted:

marianne is kinda weird given the only mounted magic classes are magic only

she wants to be a dark flier in a game without one!!

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, no class in the game forbids weapons, even if the description says it's all-in on magic.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding something, no class in the game forbids weapons, even if the description says it's all-in on magic.

No, magic is the exception. Only classes that mention they allow magic use... allow magic use.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hopeandjoy posted:

No, magic is the exception. Only classes that mention they allow magic use... allow magic use.

I was responding to something talking about a magic-only class which I don't think exists. I meant "weapon" as in "not magic" which admittedly was confusing

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Can mages fist fight

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

welp, finally got my first character death fighting the first black beast

hooray for time travel so i don't have to redo that whole mission

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tired Moritz posted:

Can mages fist fight

Anyone who isn’t mounted can pound their enemies to sludge

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hey, I can play english m!byleth on my next run after all

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1154940926193819648

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Tae posted:

Hey, I can play english m!byleth on my next run after all

https://twitter.com/GoNintendoTweet/status/1154940926193819648

They did a good job of mostly hiring very talented up-and-comers for this game so I’m interested in who the replacement is.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

ROFL Octopus posted:

They did a good job of mostly hiring very talented up-and-comers for this game so I’m interested in who the replacement is.

We already know it's Zach Aguilar from Heroes. He did Koichi (Jojo), Genos (one punch man)

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Just started this game, will it be particularly hard to recruit Leonie and Hilda if I'm Black Eagles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Neo_Crimson posted:

Just started this game, will it be particularly hard to recruit Leonie and Hilda if I'm Black Eagles?

hilda can't be recruited to other houses