Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!

VanillaGorilla posted:

The whole game honestly feels worse the further along I go. A lot of the setpieces are poorly designed (e.g. the statue sequence in Wakanda ), enemies feel really spongey unless you're aggressively outleveling the content, and the game heavily disincentivizes swapping between heroes if you don't feel like grinding the largely un-fun infinity trials. Also, don't get me started on the camera, it's just really bad.

Game should have been a budget title but we're on a Nintendo platform so here we are.

Really wished Raven Software were brought in for this (like MUA1 and that Wolverine game were actually crazy solid) but I guess they've been banished into the Call of Duty black hole forever. Shame.

Not a fan of Team Ninja.

And the grinding thing is baffling: you're making a game that's wide and shallow, fine, but you also want to force players grind out individual characters? What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There are a fair number of telltale signs that this was made in a hurry, like how most of the side- and post-game content is going through the same maps and fighting the same bosses with a few new variables added on. I'd imagine this is a proof of concept more than anything else.

You've also got a couple of abilities here and there that feel like they're just in the wrong game. Scarlet Witch gets the worst of it, with two different small field effects that nobody's going to stand in, but you can also point to Hulk and Luke's grab-and-slam moves, how every Spider-character has an inferior version of Gwen's web shot, and Rocket and Groot not really making any sense to anybody. I'd love to know the order in which these characters were made.

The whole thing with stagger damage would be an interesting mechanic if it didn't mean in practice that there's a guy in every wave who's going to wade through all your bullshit and send your entire back line flying.

Still, this is a game that once you figure out its particular rhythm and ways in which to brute-force its mechanics (hey, gently caress your stagger, I'm going to Mjolnir's Might through all of it), it gets surprisingly addictive.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

PeePot posted:

Just realised how similar it is to the bosses in Hyrule Warriors. I thought that mechanic was everyone's biggest complaint, and why they made it easier for the Switch version.

They only made it easier for one particular boss. Everything else remains the same. (Unless you're playing the 3DS version in which case they were in fact made easier in general.)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anyone use Loki much? He looks really strong but seems to run out energy really quickly too.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
COME ON AI, HELP ME GET THE BOX

https://twitter.com/i/status/1154337430419333120

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Overall i enjoy this game for what it is but the alternate costumes are a tiny swing and a huge miss

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

jerry seinfel posted:

Overall i enjoy this game for what it is but the alternate costumes are a tiny swing and a huge miss

Holly crap so many are hot garbage, Ms. Marvel is some sad pink not even like a good colour swap.

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

Really they should just make it let you do custom colors so I can have hot pink Vernon as god intended rather than navy haha what the gently caress ??

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

jerry seinfel posted:

Really they should just make it let you do custom colors so I can have hot pink Vernon as god intended rather than navy haha what the gently caress ??

From what I've heard, navy Venom is actually something in the comics so that recolor actually has a purpose behind it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
A lot of the costumes are references to the comics but that doesn’t make them better.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This game is real bad and I regret buying it. Feels like a ps2 movie tie in game

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently you get points for the skill tree from leveling up characters? Probably worth it to get everyone to at least 30-40 even if you don’t plan on using them. Wait until you finish the story at least so you can have a high level to carry them though.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Empress Brosephine posted:

This game is real bad and I regret buying it. Feels like a ps2 movie tie in game

Were you even old enough to talk when PS2 games were coming out?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm missing a collectible on the last chapter but I have no clue where it could be. Any ideas?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I mean, let's not kid ourselves it's a Bad Game™. Like, forewarning to anyone just checkin out the thread imo it's definitely in that Switch segment of toeing the line between what you think of as a phone game and a "real" console game. I've played it a bunch and will keep playing it a bunch and havin' a good time tho cause it's a fun Marvel beat-em-up that's Good Enough™.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

This is as real a game as borderlands or destiny. Shallow fun you can spend hours on if it suits you. Don't know what you folks were expecting, this is the game they advertised.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

This is as real a game as borderlands or destiny. Shallow fun you can spend hours on if it suits you. Don't know what you folks were expecting, this is the game they advertised.

Oh please, it can't even hold a candle to the first game in its own series.

Like alright, you can like it and I can see why, but let's not pretend it's what we wanted out of MUA or we'll keep getting the same.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
I just replayed XML1, 2 and MUA1 to the credit roll a couple months ago and I'd waayy rather play this one. They weren't as good as 14 or whatever year old me remembered them as.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Also MUA3's graphics aren't anything to write home about but go back and look at MUA1, an actual PS2 game, and ask yourself if that's what MUA3 looks like.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Reallycoolname posted:

Like alright, you can like it and I can see why, but let's not pretend it's what we wanted out of MUA or we'll keep getting the same.

Please speak for yourself. 3 has way better combat than any of them with an actual thought to how those mechanics work, and I could care less about a loot table. I'm having fun figuring how to use each character. "What we wanted" was a marvel beatem up with a bunch of characters and this has more characters at launch with more to come.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Reallycoolname posted:

Not to echo the other posts too hard but go back and actually play one of those other games. They do not hold up as well as they did 10 years ago in your mind. Or 13 years ago if you're talking about the original.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I played them all like last month and the combat in them overall is a lot more satisfying than the over-dependence on stagger mechanics in this one. They also gave a lot more thought to the characters than just the power sets.

I don't think there's much daylight between them, but it's not just a case of nostalgia, this game is straight up just really rushed and could have been a lot better.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
For those of you who read the comics, why is Black Widow in the Web Warriors group? Was she a Spiderwoman at some point or something?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

RatHat posted:

For those of you who read the comics, why is Black Widow in the Web Warriors group? Was she a Spiderwoman at some point or something?

Ahem, Name

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

RatHat posted:

It's really just down to the name. Widow hasn't ever done more than the occasional team-up with Spider-Man, and I assume they wanted a fourth for a Spider-team.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Wanderer posted:

It's really just down to the name. Widow hasn't ever done more than the occasional team-up with Spider-Man, and I assume they wanted a fourth for a Spider-team.

There are five, including her.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Mostly what I'm hearing in defense of MUA3 is the graphics and flashiness - which is true, mind, it's pretty and stuff - but you're huffing the kool-aid if you're really suggesting the combat is superior.

Like yes you're still the Hulk and punching fools but when combat mostly boils down to mashing light attack (or heavy if you're Magneto) and then hitting a synergy attack when you have the EP it gets repetitive. Well okay, *more* repetitive than usual.

Also the utter lack of weight behind my attacks hurts my soul, as someone that likes playing heavies.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Did I successfully avoid a bad ICR game?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oh godammit

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Reallycoolname posted:

Mostly what I'm hearing in defense of MUA3 is the graphics and flashiness - which is true, mind, it's pretty and stuff - but you're huffing the kool-aid if you're really suggesting the combat is superior.

Like yes you're still the Hulk and punching fools but when combat mostly boils down to mashing light attack (or heavy if you're Magneto) and then hitting a synergy attack when you have the EP it gets repetitive. Well okay, *more* repetitive than usual.

Also the utter lack of weight behind my attacks hurts my soul, as someone that likes playing heavies.

If all you're doing is hitting light and heavy that's you. Depending on the character, their attacks link into the their specials. Someone like gwen has multiple links to use. Hulk has a specific dash that links with his jump and attacks making him pretty nasty.

This sounds like people saying character action games are boring because they spammed a free combo the whole game.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Shine posted:

You were victorious my friend :)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

This is the first Switch game I've played and enjoyed enough to finish. But I'm a sucker for party brawlers/gauntlet-esque dungeon crawl type affairs.

Haven't unlocked magneto, Loki or Thanos yet. Mostly ran with Wolverine as my main, with Spidey, Deadpool and Daredevil, because those guys are in my favourite Marvel films (TV show for Daredevil).

My nephew is visiting the week after next and he loves Marvel stuff. Looking forward to blasting through again with him.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I'm usually a hoarder when it comes to in game items but I feel like the grinding has forced me to use up my xp cubes and invest in the lab early on. I do find it odd that almost every time I get a new character he/she is leveled beyond anyone else in my party. I feel like that's just bad planning on their part.

At least I'm enjoying beating up mooks and periodic frustrating boss battles.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Shine posted:

Seriously, she has the touch of death.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I haven't tried multiplayer yet since I've been going through the campaign solo first, but how does it work when you join somebody else's game? Do you use their characters, or can you bring in one of your own?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Host picks the party, then however many players join pick their own characters and take a lot each. So if one person joins, host has their 3 selected chars to swap around and new person just has their one to play. And I'm pretty sure no drop-in after the game is started, but characters can be changed at Shield points still (host for theirs, players for any of theirs).

It's not a great implementation imo and bums me out, cause online MP sounds like the best way to play a game like this, but then there's a big grind to level characters up and as far as I've seen if you join a game you're only getting XP for that one character. Then with the host controlling all NPCs thing it's best to have 4 actual players, which means using the kind of clunky room system and having to wait for a room to fill up. Booo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this is totally a phone game but I do like playing it. it feels like a really good first draft and the sequel will be legit good. some game mechanics like the Infinity Trials and the ISO-8 system seem like afterthoughts that will get fleshed out in the next one

I feel seen

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I'm having a good time with this game. I like to pick it up when I'm cooking something that takes a while, clear an old level and get some xp for characters that are lagging behind.

I'm not really getting the combo playstyle, though I understand synergy attacks and extreme attacks. Any tips would be appreciated, but I get along just fine.

Characters without flying seem like a waste. It's much easier to fly around to dodge stuff than it is to time dodge correctly. It seems anything can lock me down for three or four hits before I can dodge or jump out, and I'm not even into chapter two yet. Also I am always on the move so I hardly ever straight up block attacks.

Overall fun game and I like it and I think I'll do a slow burn which should keep things interesting.

Favorite characters to play as so far are: Crystal (like whoa), Scarlet Witch, Capt. Marvel, Starlord.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Whoa big thing, learned synergy attacks by doing zR cost double the mana o_O. And most of the time are not twice as effective. The combat flow is going a LOT better for me instead of using zR for almost everything to just use single special moves and save the synergy for special cases like turning a stagger into a stun. Plus it seems doing synergies by either pressing A or by doing a special move then having an AI just decide to trigger one does not incur the double mana cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game a billion times more fun in MP.

Playing it SP and not liking it is like playing the old X-Men arcade in 1995 by yourself and thinking it was boring and sucked.