Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Anyone know SAML and regex? I just setup a system to authenticate against a SAML idP. It's working fine, but they send me the principle name in all caps, and I need it in all lowercase.

My application has a configuration item called "principle.regex=" and it looks like you can write a regex that will transform the string, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to write a regex that does substitution. I know how to use regex for find and replace in notepad++, but there's always two fields (find string, and a replace string) but this is kicking my butt.

(\w) will match the string
\L$ will return the string as lower, but how does that work in one line?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

What's currently the best desktop environment for 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop/tablets? I have a Lenovo Yoga.

I've been messing with it and I'm just about to just boot up windows whenever I want to use that feature. I mostly have a problem with getting the on screen keyboard to reliably appear when editing text in Gnome, and only when I'm in tablet mode.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

So I got an ASUS B450 motherboard recently which has a IT8665E superIO chip used for temp monitoring etc, and there aren't official drivers for this.

I guess there was one guy unofficially supporting this stuff who got tired of reverse engineering poo poo and ragequit last year?
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=IT87-Linux-Driver-Axing

Has there been any effort/campaign by Linux users to get ASUS, ITE, or whoever should be responsible to provide drivers for their poo poo?

I guess I didn't realize how much unsupported hardware drivers were still a huge hurdle under Linux, .

Also I found this thread which has instructions for building the drivers on Ubuntu from a fork of groeck's deleted repo which does include IT8665E, but I'm on OpenSUSE tumbleweed so not sure what the exact steps would be:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2401422
Anyways even if i can get this built for tumbleweed it sounds like without proper datasheets or official drivers the values read out could still be suspect and not scaled correctly?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

The only part that should changed from the generic install instructions in that forum topic:

code:
echo "it87" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules           #if you haven't done this already
sudo apt-get install git dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic         #you may have some of these already 
cd ~/                #use whichever directory you want
git clone https://github.com/a1wong/it87.git
cd it87/
sudo make dkms
sensors
would be the apt-get line, which I think is replaced with:
code:
zypper install -t pattern devel_basis devel_C_C++ devel_kernel
zypper install dkms
If you've installed other things from scratch you may only need devel_kernel pattern or the linux-kernel-vanilla package.

The scaling is probably fine, but the identification of what is what is probably guesswork? I don't know that it would be signifigantly worse than nothing though.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

SoftNum posted:

The only part that should changed from the generic install instructions in that forum topic:

code:
echo "it87" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules           #if you haven't done this already
sudo apt-get install git dkms build-essential linux-headers-generic         #you may have some of these already 
cd ~/                #use whichever directory you want
git clone [url]https://github.com/a1wong/it87.git[/url]
cd it87/
sudo make dkms
sensors
would be the apt-get line, which I think is replaced with:
code:
zypper install -t pattern devel_basis devel_C_C++ devel_kernel
zypper install dkms
If you've installed other things from scratch you may only need devel_kernel pattern or the linux-kernel-vanilla package.

The scaling is probably fine, but the identification of what is what is probably guesswork? I don't know that it would be signifigantly worse than nothing though.
I noticed I don't have any /etc/modules file. There is a /etc/modules-load.d/ directory instead? Or do I just need to create the /etc/modules and it will work fine anyways.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

peepsalot posted:

I noticed I don't have any /etc/modules file. There is a /etc/modules-load.d/ directory instead? Or do I just need to create the /etc/modules and it will work fine anyways.

I _think_ either will work but you can be safe by going:

code:
echo "it87" | sudo tee -a /etc/modules-load.d/it87.conf
All this is doing is making it load at start anyway. You should be able to sudo modprobe it87 regargless of if it's in the autoload file.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Cool, that worked. The voltages are not scaled right, and the temperature limits are all wrong, and there's only 6 readings, and the last 4 seem to be duplicated (should there be 1 temp per core, for 8 total?), but other than that yeah its a little better than before. I have fan rpms at least(no case fans plugged in atm, but I assume those are working, still waiting for my case to ship).
code:
sensors
it8665-isa-0290           
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:          +0.89 V  (min =  +1.36 V, max =  +1.02 V)  ALARM             
in1:          +2.51 V  (min =  +1.92 V, max =  +2.32 V)  ALARM
in2:          +2.03 V  (min =  +1.31 V, max =  +1.10 V)  ALARM
in3:          +2.01 V  (min =  +2.65 V, max =  +0.07 V)  ALARM            
in4:          +0.03 V  (min =  +2.73 V, max =  +2.43 V)  ALARM        
in5:          +0.03 V  (min =  +0.00 V, max =  +1.96 V)                                                             
in6:          +0.03 V  (min =  +2.54 V, max =  +1.45 V)  ALARM
3VSB:         +3.31 V  (min =  +3.77 V, max =  +3.27 V)  ALARM
Vbat:         +3.18 V                                     
+3.3V:        +3.31 V  
fan1:        1436 RPM  (min =   14 RPM)
fan2:           0 RPM  (min =   21 RPM)
fan3:           0 RPM  (min =   18 RPM)
fan4:           0 RPM  (min =   -1 RPM)
fan6:           0 RPM  (min =   -1 RPM)
temp1:        +29.0°C  (low  = -106.0°C, high = +29.0°C)  ALARM
temp2:        +32.0°C  (low  = -70.0°C, high = +66.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp3:        +30.0°C  (low  = +106.0°C, high = +80.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp4:        +30.0°C  (low  = -75.0°C, high = +53.0°C)  sensor = thermistor
temp5:        +30.0°C  (low  = -49.0°C, high = -78.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
temp6:        +30.0°C  (low  =  +5.0°C, high =  +0.0°C)  ALARM  sensor = thermistor
intrusion0:  ALARM

k10temp-pci-00c3
Adapter: PCI adapter
Tdie:         +29.6°C  (high = +70.0°C)
Tctl:         +39.6°C  

asus-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
cpu_fan:        0 RPM
edit: Another thing I'm trying to work out is regarding the boost frequency, this CPU is supposed to boost up to 4.3Ghz, but I never see anything more than 3.992 even with single thread workload, using "grep MHz /proc/cpuinfo" . Not sure if this is Linux realted at all or strictly bios settings I need to mess with.

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 26, 2019

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Zapf Dingbat posted:

What's currently the best desktop environment for 2-in-1 touchscreen laptop/tablets? I have a Lenovo Yoga.

I've been messing with it and I'm just about to just boot up windows whenever I want to use that feature. I mostly have a problem with getting the on screen keyboard to reliably appear when editing text in Gnome, and only when I'm in tablet mode.

If GNOME isn't cutting it I can't imagine another DE doing it better, AFAIK they're the only ones even giving thought to tablets. Though, IIRC Plasma works okay-ish TBQH tablet mode's not that great even in Windows. It's why I wasn't too broken up about going back to a regular laptop

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Any Pi-hole expert around?

I installed Pi-Hole on a Debian VM a few days ago to replace my very old and trusty pi-hole-like ad-blocking mechanism (few scripts that update unbound, not anything very fancy). It works awesomely. I gave the pi-hole VM an assigned IP from my DHCP server (dnsmasq) and I named the machine, both on dnsmasq and the machine itself: pihole.
Before I knew what I was doing, I switched the network DNS to the Pi-Hole machine. Tried to access the dashboard (http://pihole/admin/) doesn't work. By IP it works. Figured out that the Pi-Hole machine doesn't know about its IP, and definitely doesn't know about the internal network names. Looking though the web interface I find the place where it mentions just that, and I can put in the IP of the main DNS where it could query internal network names for their IPs.
And I configured it properly. Now I can access "media", "pi", "vms" and "nas" machines without any issues. But "pihole" is still out of reach. Using dig I can see the server still returns 127.0.1.1. The name "pi.hole" works just fine, I am using it right now, but "pihole" (without the dot) is simply localhost. I rebooted the machine, I did everything except nuke it and reinstall it.

Not a big deal, I can use "pi.hole", but it is a bit annoying. Can I assign custom IPs for custom names arbitrarily?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm trying to figure out how to how to diagnose and fix a strange problem with a Debian Stretch VirtualBox image I'm trying to get working with vagrant. When I provision it, I end up with the desktop GUI restarting every 90 seconds. The impression I got online is that systemd was probably pissed about something, and it sure seems like it:

code:
Jul 26 20:38:40 scrubbed systemd-journald[139]: Journal started
Jul 26 20:38:40 scrubbed systemd-journald[139]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/ee61cf3a740d4aa8bcbd7bbdc4768f70) is 2.4M, max 19.9M, 17.4M free.
Jul 26 20:38:40 scrubbed systemd-journald[139]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/ee61cf3a740d4aa8bcbd7bbdc4768f70) is 2.4M, max 19.9M, 17.4M free.
Jul 26 20:38:44 scrubbed NetworkManager[282]: <error> [1564173524.0999] device (enp0s3): addrconf6: failed to start neighbor discovery: failure creating libndp socket: Address family not supported by protocol (97)
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd-journald[1385]: Journal started
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd-journald[1385]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/ee61cf3a740d4aa8bcbd7bbdc4768f70) is 4.9M, max 19.9M, 14.9M free.
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.UPower': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.login1': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.ModemManager1': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.DisplayManager': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:39 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to subscribe to NameOwnerChanged signal for 'org.freedesktop.NetworkManager': Device or resource busy
Jul 26 20:39:41 scrubbed systemd-journald[1512]: Journal started
Jul 26 20:39:41 scrubbed systemd-journald[1512]: Runtime journal (/run/log/journal/ee61cf3a740d4aa8bcbd7bbdc4768f70) is 7.4M, max 19.9M, 12.4M free.
Jul 26 20:39:44 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Jul 26 20:41:12 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
Jul 26 20:41:12 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Daemon for power management.
Jul 26 20:41:12 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Modem Manager.
Jul 26 20:41:15 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service.
Jul 26 20:41:15 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Jul 26 20:41:41 scrubbed lightdm[4225]: pam_systemd(lightdm-autologin:session): Failed to create session: Connection timed out
Jul 26 20:42:42 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
Jul 26 20:42:42 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Daemon for power management.
Jul 26 20:42:46 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Jul 26 20:43:11 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service.
Jul 26 20:44:12 scrubbed sshd[6621]: pam_systemd(sshd:session): Failed to create session: Message recipient disconnected from message bus without replying
Jul 26 20:44:12 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
Jul 26 20:44:12 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Daemon for power management.
Jul 26 20:44:16 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.

...these four then repeat forever...
Jul 26 20:45:42 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Login Service.
Jul 26 20:45:42 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Daemon for power management.
Jul 26 20:45:46 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start Light Display Manager.
Jul 26 20:45:47 scrubbed systemd[1]: Failed to start RealtimeKit Scheduling Policy Service.
lightdm restarting is ultimately what I think is nuking the desktop GUI, but I can't make sense of why. When I try to get more information from each of these services, I don't get any error messages. They just show they've been running for somewhere between 0 to 90 seconds. Then the desktop resets, and the clock restarts. The lightdm logs don't report any errors.

I've reached a point where I'm about to just mount the provisioned VM against the original box's VM and just diff entire folders to see what was tweaked during the provision process.

On the vagrant side, it looks like it doesn't happen if I don't have it run any provisioning scripts. Second, it also didn't appear to happen when the script was given but was empty. The provisioning process basically just untars something, installs some Python modules, and runs some Python code I intend to test. None of my code I'm testing is reaching into system stuff, but I will accept that maybe one of the Python modules is getting compiled and who knows what else it might do in the process.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 27, 2019

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
There's nothing in /var/log/lightdm/ ?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Volguus posted:

There's nothing in /var/log/lightdm/ ?

I can pastebin what I have, but I didn't see any errors recording in anything. The X logs looked quite normal and happy too.

The first time it happened, it did appear to go away by uninstall and reinstalling lightdm, so it's fair to go sniffing around there. I just remembered that, and maybe if I have to brute force something, I should maybe brute force compare changes before/after doing that.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Today's lesson – remember to swap out from an xrdp session to physical access when running do-release-upgrade so it doesn't fall over half way through...

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Pablo Bluth posted:

Today's lesson – remember to swap out from an xrdp session to physical access when running do-release-upgrade so it doesn't fall over half way through...

Or at least use screen

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Swiping my harddisk and replacing Win10 with Ubuntu. Pretty happy so far, but... now I can't mount the second harddrive I used to store data on. In gparted it tells me there are three partitions: LDM Data partition (biggest), LDM Metadata partition and MS reserved partition. The file system is "unknown". A bit of googling tells me Win10 has a fancy new filesystem that can't be read by Linux yet/reliably. On that hd is all my important stuff currently. So am I simply forced to install Windows again? And then consciously format the data-hd in a format that can be read by both win and ubuntu? Did not expect this to happen. Thank you.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2019

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Swiping my harddisk and replacing Win10 with Ubuntu. Pretty happy so far, but... now I can't mount the second harddrive I used to store data on. In gparted it tells me there are three partitions: LDM Data partition (biggest), LDM Metadata partition and MS reserved partition. The file system is "unknown". A bit of googling tells me Win10 has a fancy new filesystem that can't be read by Linux yet/reliably. On that hd is all my important stuff currently. So am I simply forced to install Windows again? And then consciously format the data-hd in a format that can be read by both win and ubuntu? Did not expect this to happen. Thank you.

Are you sure that it's not just NTFS? https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-mount-partition-with-ntfs-file-system-and-read-write-access

You might be able to boot a Windows VM or install disk to access the drive, but you'd need to have x2 the storage to move the files to a different filesystem

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Thank you for your answer, xtal. According to google Ubuntu should natively recognize ntfs, so I am getting a lil' worried here. Thanks for the link anyway!

e: "sudo fdisk -l" is giving me this:

code:
Device          Start        End    Sectors  Size Type
/dev/sdb1          34 5860270990 5860270957  2,7T Microsoft LDM data
/dev/sdb2  5860270991 5860273038       2048    1M Microsoft LDM metadata
/dev/sdb3  5860273039 5860533134     260096  127M Microsoft reserved

Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.
Partition 2 does not start on physical sector boundary.
Partition 3 does not start on physical sector boundary.
So I'll just install win again to see if everything is still fine.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jul 27, 2019

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
You might check out https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Dynamic_Disks first.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Update: Reinstalled Windows 10 and had to "import" the unknown dynamic disc in its partition manager. But then it worked (in windows anyway). Shows as ntfs.
That's interesting. I'll try that out. Might be exactly what I need. But now I'll double check if everything is really backed up. Thanks goons. Sorry for troubling you.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jul 27, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Update: Reinstalled Windows 10 and had to "import" the unknown dynamic disc in its partition manager. But then it worked (in windows anyway). Shows as ntfs.

That's interesting. I'll try that out. Might be exactly what I need. But now I'll double check if everything is really backed up. Thanks goons. Sorry for troubling you.

Don't apologise, you aren't the only one who learned something. I been playing with Linux for 25 years and never even though about how it would handle Dynamic Disks.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

other people posted:

Eh, Fedora and RHEL are very much the same but it is a different relationship that something like ubuntu/mint.

Fedora is effectively upstream for RHEL. For example, RHEL 8 was "forked" from F28. RHEL of course only has a subset of the packages in Fedora; typically EPEL makes up most of the difference. But pretty much any F28 rpm would install on RHEL 8 without any problems because they share the same standard library versions.

But you also need to remember that F28 has been EOL'd by now and you would have to switch to F29. And that will get EOL'd by the end of this year so it will be time for F30 and so on. You can expect this process to get more painful the further along you go.

Just a couple weeks ago I had to point out to some developers that the PostgreSQL 8.4 they had installed from the upstream repo had been EOL'd and they need to do an expedited upgrade to 9.6 on a production server. While the standard RHEL7 version would have been supported for another 5 years.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Saukkis posted:

But you also need to remember that F28 has been EOL'd by now and you would have to switch to F29. And that will get EOL'd by the end of this year so it will be time for F30 and so on. You can expect this process to get more painful the further along you go.

Just a couple weeks ago I had to point out to some developers that the PostgreSQL 8.4 they had installed from the upstream repo had been EOL'd and they need to do an expedited upgrade to 9.6 on a production server. While the standard RHEL7 version would have been supported for another 5 years.

I was just giving an example of the close relationship between the two products. A fedora package installed on RHEL is never going to be supported by anybody.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
With respect to my recent ramblings about Fedora 30 being sluggish, please disregard.

I changed my pfSense DHCP server settings to give all local machines 8.8.8.8 for DNS and everything seems to be better. I'm a loving idiot.

I had a slight inkling, for some reason, that I didn't have DNS resolving or forwarding properly, so I set my DHCP server to give 8.8.8.8 to everything yesterday, instead of going through my PiHole VM anymore.

Now I don't have to wait while logging into local machines. Firefox starts up in an instant (it must have been struggling to make TCP requests because of my settings). When I click on a URL in Keepass to open up a login page, it does it immediately instead of what I thought was DBUS not working correctly.

Lots of thing are running much, much faster or straight-away.

Somebody please shoot me. ;-/

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

apropos man posted:

I had a slight inkling, for some reason, that I didn't have DNS resolving or forwarding properly, so I set my DHCP server to give 8.8.8.8 to everything yesterday, instead of going through my PiHole VM anymore.

You should be able to test this with 'nslookup Some-address PiHole-IP'.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop that I can put Ubuntu on? I'm not doing anything serious other than fooling around with it and surfing the net. I have a Dell D630 and it's fine and all but it weighs (comparatively) a million tons and the battery is on its way out by just holding 30 minutes worth of power. Something slightly newer and portable would be fantastic. Having a Ethernet port would be great too.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to Linux and I want to change that.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

A used thinkpad T440 is pretty decent performance wise and has full linux support.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Can anyone recommend a good cheap laptop that I can put Ubuntu on?

I don't know if it's good, but a Pinebook Pro is cheap and the default OS is Linux.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Used corporate thinkpads are perfect for project systems and you can pick up the older generations stupid cheap. They're really well built and last forever.

You then can spend ~100 on a new bezel, keyboard, and touchpad for it, and it will look and feel almost brand new.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sweet. Thanks for the responses! I'm seeing the Thinkpads go for about 75-125 on Ebay. Those fair prices?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It depends which models, but yeah thats a good deal for pretty much any modern laptop. Don't just get any thinkpad, the brand name has been in use for decades.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I like my T570 enough to keep it running Linux for another coupla years. I'm hoping that a viable Ryzen version is released of the ThinkPad T series. Then I might renew it earlier.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'll be keeping my W530 going until I retire, or until the ThinkPad keyboards return to sanity.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I posted this on the rclone forum too, but I'm hoping someone here can help. I think the problem lies within how I'm doing *something* outside of Plex and rclone themselves.

quote:

I'm a complete noob so I apologize if any of this seem ignorant or ill-informed.

Anyway, I got a Pi 4 and set it up - all is good. Got Plex Media Server installed - also all good. Rclone is installed - amazing, it's also all good.

The problem is when I want them to all work together. I can't seem to get Plex to "let" me select the mounted google drive. I have the drive mounted to a folder in my desktop by running

code:
rclone mount googledrive: /home/pi/Desktop/Drive --vfs-cache-mode full
and the drive appears as a drive on my desktop. It doesn't hide the Drive folder like it does on my macOS system - I have both a Drive folder and now a Drive drive - so I'm guessing this is part of the problem too. I open the Drive drive and I can see my files, I can access the pdf perfectly fine. Opening up an mkv file seems to either take forever or not work, so I don't try anymore - but I figured since I could access the pdf fine, it was all good.

When I open up Plex and "browse for media" it shows, on the left hand side, I guess an assortment of folders that it guesses would be relevant. I see my Drive FOLDER listed there, but not the Drive drive. When I manually navigate to the Desktop, I see only the drive and no folder, but the drive has a file icon next to it and it's entirely greyed out.

Any help is thoroughly appreciated.

The Pi Discord has been an amazing help, but I can't seem to figure out what the problem would or could be. I thought it'd be permissions, but doesn't bfs-cache handle that?

If it helps at all, I followed this guide: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-plex-server/ and then just used rclone to mount the Google Drive.

mystes
May 31, 2006

LODGE NORTH posted:

I posted this on the rclone forum too, but I'm hoping someone here can help. I think the problem lies within how I'm doing *something* outside of Plex and rclone themselves.

The Pi Discord has been an amazing help, but I can't seem to figure out what the problem would or could be. I thought it'd be permissions, but doesn't bfs-cache handle that?

If it helps at all, I followed this guide: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-plex-server/ and then just used rclone to mount the Google Drive.
If Plex is running as a different user this might be a permission issue.

mystes fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 5, 2019

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

LODGE NORTH posted:

Like all other FUSE mounts you'll want the --allow-other parameter in a multi-user setup.
https://rclone.org/commands/rclone_mount/

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
An update to this:

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

lightdm restarting is ultimately what I think is nuking the desktop GUI, but I can't make sense of why. When I try to get more information from each of these services, I don't get any error messages. They just show they've been running for somewhere between 0 to 90 seconds. Then the desktop resets, and the clock restarts. The lightdm logs don't report any errors.

It turned out to be a stupid in the code being tested. A mock for process management apparently wasn't working so the test would kill process ID #1. Hilarity ensued. So the problems were not with the general infrastructure of this at all.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Started seeing this error today trying to install the python36 and python36-devel packages on RHEL7. I've got the epel repo enabled:
code:
$ sudo cat /etc/yum.repos.d/epel.repo
[epel]
name=Extra Packages for 7 - $basearch
enabled=1
failovermethod=priority
fastestmirror_enabled=0
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=https://download.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/RPM-GPG-KEY-EPEL-7
mirrorlist=http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-7&arch=$basearch
But I get this error and I'm not quite sure what to make of it:
code:
$ sudo yum install python36-devel
Loaded plugins: amazon-id, rhui-lb, search-disabled-repos
Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package python36-devel.x86_64 0:3.6.8-1.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: python(abi) = 3.6 for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: python36 = 3.6.8-1.el7 for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
Package python36 is obsoleted by python3, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Processing Dependency: python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7 for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
Package python36-libs is obsoleted by python3-libs, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Processing Dependency: python-rpm-macros for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: python3-rpm-macros for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: redhat-rpm-config for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libpython3.6m.so.1.0()(64bit) for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
---> Package python-rpm-macros.noarch 0:3-32.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: python-srpm-macros for package: python-rpm-macros-3-32.el7.noarch
---> Package python3.x86_64 0:3.6.8-10.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: python3-pip for package: python3-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: python3-setuptools for package: python3-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64
---> Package python3-libs.x86_64 0:3.6.8-10.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: libtirpc.so.1()(64bit) for package: python3-libs-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64
---> Package python3-rpm-macros.noarch 0:3-32.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: python36 = 3.6.8-1.el7 for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
Package python36 is obsoleted by python3, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
--> Processing Dependency: python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7 for package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64
Package python36-libs is obsoleted by python3-libs, but obsoleting package does not provide for requirements
---> Package redhat-rpm-config.noarch 0:9.1.0-88.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: dwz >= 0.4 for package: redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-88.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: /usr/bin/perl for package: redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-88.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Getopt::Long) for package: redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-88.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl-srpm-macros for package: redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-88.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: zip for package: redhat-rpm-config-9.1.0-88.el7.noarch
---> Package dwz.x86_64 0:0.11-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package libtirpc.x86_64 0:0.2.4-0.16.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl.x86_64 4:5.16.3-294.el7_6 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: perl-libs = 4:5.16.3-294.el7_6 for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Scalar::Util) >= 1.10 for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Socket) >= 1.3 for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Carp) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Cwd) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Exporter) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(File::Path) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(File::Spec) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(File::Spec::Functions) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(File::Spec::Unix) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(File::Temp) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Filter::Util::Call) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Pod::Simple::Search) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Pod::Simple::XHTML) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Scalar::Util) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Socket) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Storable) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Time::HiRes) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Time::Local) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(constant) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(threads) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl(threads::shared) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl-libs for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: perl-macros for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
--> Processing Dependency: libperl.so()(64bit) for package: 4:perl-5.16.3-294.el7_6.x86_64
---> Package perl-Getopt-Long.noarch 0:2.40-3.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Pod::Usage) >= 1.14 for package: perl-Getopt-Long-2.40-3.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Text::ParseWords) for package: perl-Getopt-Long-2.40-3.el7.noarch
---> Package perl-srpm-macros.noarch 0:1-8.el7 will be installed
---> Package python-srpm-macros.noarch 0:3-32.el7 will be installed
---> Package python3-pip.noarch 0:9.0.3-5.el7 will be installed
---> Package python3-setuptools.noarch 0:39.2.0-10.el7 will be installed
---> Package zip.x86_64 0:3.0-11.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Carp.noarch 0:1.26-244.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Exporter.noarch 0:5.68-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-File-Path.noarch 0:2.09-2.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-File-Temp.noarch 0:0.23.01-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Filter.x86_64 0:1.49-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-PathTools.x86_64 0:3.40-5.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Pod-Simple.noarch 1:3.28-4.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Pod::Escapes) >= 1.04 for package: 1:perl-Pod-Simple-3.28-4.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Encode) for package: 1:perl-Pod-Simple-3.28-4.el7.noarch
---> Package perl-Pod-Usage.noarch 0:1.63-3.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: perl(Pod::Text) >= 3.15 for package: perl-Pod-Usage-1.63-3.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl-Pod-Perldoc for package: perl-Pod-Usage-1.63-3.el7.noarch
---> Package perl-Scalar-List-Utils.x86_64 0:1.27-248.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Socket.x86_64 0:2.010-4.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Storable.x86_64 0:2.45-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Text-ParseWords.noarch 0:3.29-4.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Time-HiRes.x86_64 4:1.9725-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Time-Local.noarch 0:1.2300-2.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-constant.noarch 0:1.27-2.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-libs.x86_64 4:5.16.3-294.el7_6 will be installed
---> Package perl-macros.x86_64 4:5.16.3-294.el7_6 will be installed
---> Package perl-threads.x86_64 0:1.87-4.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-threads-shared.x86_64 0:1.43-6.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Encode.x86_64 0:2.51-7.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-Pod-Escapes.noarch 1:1.04-294.el7_6 will be installed
---> Package perl-Pod-Perldoc.noarch 0:3.20-4.el7 will be installed
--> Processing Dependency: perl(HTTP::Tiny) for package: perl-Pod-Perldoc-3.20-4.el7.noarch
--> Processing Dependency: perl(parent) for package: perl-Pod-Perldoc-3.20-4.el7.noarch
---> Package perl-podlators.noarch 0:2.5.1-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-HTTP-Tiny.noarch 0:0.033-3.el7 will be installed
---> Package perl-parent.noarch 1:0.225-244.el7 will be installed
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Package: python36-devel-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64 (epel)
           Requires: python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7
           Available: python3-libs-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64 (rhui-REGION-rhel-server-releases)
               python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-10.el7
           Available: python36-libs-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64 (epel)
               python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7
           Requires: python36 = 3.6.8-1.el7
           Installing: python3-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64 (rhui-REGION-rhel-server-releases)
               python36 = 3.6.8-10.el7
           Available: python36-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64 (epel)
               python36 = 3.6.8-1.el7
           Requires: python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7
           Installing: python3-libs-3.6.8-10.el7.x86_64 (rhui-REGION-rhel-server-releases)
               python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-10.el7
           Available: python36-libs-3.6.8-1.el7.x86_64 (epel)
               python36-libs(x86-64) = 3.6.8-1.el7
 You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
 You could try running: rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
I found this announcement regarding some RHEL 7.7 python packaging changes: https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/epel-devel@lists.fedoraproject.org/message/GUSLTD5AJWFEGBFK5EYFVH3LHQVHUBAP/

So it seems like python36 now becomes python3. If I do a yum install python3 it seems to resolve the dependencies fine. But there doesn't seem to be a python3-devel anymore and I get that error above trying to install python36-devel. What do now?

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
This might be an obscure question but I noticed earlier today that the KDE file explorer would not detect my file server. I'm using Kubuntu 18.04, and to access my files, I open dolphin, click "network" under "places" in the top left corner, then expand etwork and everything is there, my printer file server, even my Google Home speakers (although I doubt I can do anything with them) My file server is Xubuntu 18.04.

However, earlier today when I tried to access my file server nothing showed up under "network". I had just accessed my file server from my windows PC so I knew the server was running, I searched google for mounting a samba share from the command line. . . and I had to install cifs-utils to then run "mount -t cifs /192.168.1.10/server/vault ~/vault" and (unless I misread the prompt) that asked for the root password on my filer server. I keyed in the correct password and it said access denied. I used the physical keyboard on my server to run a sudo command just to make sure I had not forgotten the password. One issue I could see is I think by default, Ubuntu does not have any root password? I remember reading years ago about how to set or reset the root password on Ubuntu and I believe the articles said by default, Ubuntu's root password is simply blank instead relying on the user passwords with sudo permissions.

In frustration, I decided the first thing I should try would be rebooting my KDE system. . . and as soon as I rebooted I was able to go back in through Dolphin and browse the server and access my files. Simply put, I am pretty sure that my KDE system did not initally have cifs-utils, when I ran the install command it said 7 new packages would be required which leads me to believe that the default method for Kubuntu to handles Samba shares might involve some other package. If Dolphin fails to browse my network again in the future, is there a command I run to reset whatever part of the networking system is causing the issue besides simply rebooting the PC?

On a related note, overall I like a lot of the software present from KDE like Okular, Dolphin, Amarok, and maybe even the launch menu, but I like XFCE's panel and desktop a lot better. In addition, I believe one of my monitors is set to "desktop" display and the other is set to "folder view" - I don't really care for either mode. Would it be difficult to have esseintally XFCE but with all KDE apps? If I install Dolphin on XFCE, would it be difficult to remove or disable the default XFCE browser?

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 9, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Crotch Fruit posted:

On a related note, overall I like a lot of the software present from KDE like Okular, Dolphin, Amarok, and maybe even the launch menu, but I like XFCE's panel and desktop a lot better. In addition, I believe one of my monitors is set to "desktop" display and the other is set to "folder view" - I don't really care for either mode. Would it be difficult to have esseintally XFCE but with all KDE apps? If I install Dolphin on XFCE, would it be difficult to remove or disable the default XFCE browser?

you can just install the KDE apps like normal, and it will install any parts it needs, and you can launch whichever explorer you like. No need to uninstall whatever XFCE installs.

There has been more than one distro in the past that just installed 4-5 DEs and let you choose which to use at login time, and running KDE apps just means installing the QT backend. None of this should cause conflict.

E: Always backup your info while playing with this. None of it SHOULD cause a conflict, but this is linux and doing it might somehow break sound on someone elses desktop.

RFC2324 fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

About the only weird thing you might run into is consistent theming - XFCE doesn't have the ability to set the QT5 theme used by KDE apps on its own, and the usual recommended approach is a tool called qt5ct to do it if the default theme for QT5 doesn't work for you. (From there you either need a theme with both a GTK and QT version (recommended), or to use the dubious idea of the old GTK 2 theme plugin for QT 5 that isn't included with it anymore by default, hasn't been updated in forever, and occasionally just has weird issues.)

Also, you don't need KDE installed to install Okular or such, any necessary dependencies should be pulled in by your package manager but are less than the full KDE.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 10, 2019