Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Is there a doom mod where doomguy is riding a horse, preferably with armour? Just in the regular levels, maybe a small horse or a Shetland pony or something to fit in the corrridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Is there a doom mod where doomguy is riding a horse, preferably with armour? Just in the regular levels, maybe a small horse or a Shetland pony or something to fit in the corrridors.
I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised if it existed.

It probably wouldn't be hugely difficult to whack together a jokemod using Daggerfall sprites (its thematic!)

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Shadow Hog posted:

Well, some heartening news after the glorious trainwreck we can't avert our eyes away from, at least:

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1154897030264889344

This is the opposite of heartening news because it's still Bethesda, which means it will also be always online and require a Bethesda.net account, and will probably also result in Bethesda trying to C&D Doom64 EX off the Internet.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 3 have these issues too or is just nobody bought that and everybody just did Doom 1 and 2?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

100 degrees Calcium posted:

drat, I think I'm in a Doom mood this weekend. I already beat episodes 1-3 and Doom II on UV. Thy Flesh Consumed is the obvious next step but... ugh...

What wad should I play. I wanna get into some fun firefights.

Hell-Forged is now feature-complete. Give it a try.

Also I will never stop recommending Verdant Citadel.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

From the sounds of things, they've been knocked offline accidentally and are getting restored sometime soon. Apparently the PS3 port had a similar issue and has already been fixed?

Thank you. I was kinda worried about losing them forever if my 360 dies some day.

I guess if Doom 64 is coming for PC and PS4, Doom 64Ex will be in a bad situation considering how lovely Bethesda is.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Barudak posted:

Doom 3 have these issues too or is just nobody bought that and everybody just did Doom 1 and 2?

If im going to blow half my switches memory its not going to be on doom 3 im afraid.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Shadow Hog posted:

Presumably the Unity executable bloats the filesize a fair bit.

Actually it seems to be the music. Instead of a MIDI player they are straight up recorded to WAVs.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

Actually it seems to be the music. Instead of a MIDI player they are straight up recorded to WAVs.

Holy poo poo I know it isn't Bethesda studios the one behind this but did they cut the leash on Todd Howard and he felt to put SIXTEEN TIMES THE DETAIL into the ports.

If they wanted to do something fancy they could have just asked certain dudes that did a good one with Turok and so... :haw:

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Guillermus posted:

If they wanted to do something fancy they could have just asked certain dudes that did a good one with Turok and so... :haw:

To be honest we'd have done the same. Although done with an OPL synth. There's basically no good way to play Midis on current consoles outside of using FMOD with a DLS soundfont (which you'd likely need to make yourself).
Though not as a WAV. :V

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Black Griffon posted:

just let eternal be fun loving please bethesda. I'll buy horse armor for my doom marine, just come the gently caress on for once

Bethesda thankfully has nothing to do with Doom Eternal. They're only publishing it. 2016 was good in spite of them trying to market it as poorly as possible, I see no reason for Eternal to be different.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

/reads thread about Doom release in consoles in other forums

So...

-It has always online DRM
-It doesn't have proper widescreen resolution/ratio, it has two sidebars that can't be turned off and the pixels are slightly stretched.
-You can't remove the bottom bar and play in full screen, too
-It has some issue with the music, it's a bit slower than it should
-lightning has some issues
-no 60fps
-no customizable controls
-No online play, only local
-Obviously, no mod support (although, you know, if they enabled mods in console Skyrim and F4, they also should be able to allow user made wads!)
-They removed the old port version from the previous console generation even for people who bought it, there is only a weird workaround with a retail doom3 bfg copy to get them
-No rest for the living console exclusive episode from the previous version weirdly missing.

Uhh....

/hugs source ports

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jul 27, 2019

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rocket Pan posted:

To be honest we'd have done the same. Although done with an OPL synth. There's basically no good way to play Midis on current consoles outside of using FMOD with a DLS soundfont (which you'd likely need to make yourself).
Though not as a WAV. :V

Wondering if the XBL ports are the same then. They run nicely and the controller handling is great.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hey so check out the screenshot on the eShop

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/doom-1993-switch/

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Glagha posted:

Bethesda thankfully has nothing to do with Doom Eternal. They're only publishing it. 2016 was good in spite of them trying to market it as poorly as possible, I see no reason for Eternal to be different.

There's some comfort in that to be sure, but considering how absurdly bad Bethesda is these days, I'm gonna worry no matter what.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Glagha posted:

I remember a lot of people thought it was gonna be garbage because instead of focusing on the huge, awesome single player campaign iD actually worked on they almost exclusively focused on the outsourced lovely multiplayer for marketing and previews :psyduck:

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember a lot of people thought it was gonna be garbage because instead of focusing on the huge, awesome single player campaign iD actually worked on they almost exclusively focused on the outsourced lovely multiplayer for marketing and previews :psyduck:

Yeah the preview reception was extremely negative for a long while until they showed some single player at an NVIDIA event of all things and the people who saw it were like "wait holy poo poo why didn't you show me this before what the gently caress"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

That list seems correct except the old XBLA ports are back, Microsoft apparently screwed that up.

Which didnt affect me because Ive never uninstalled those games.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Speaking of source ports, sometimes i have to wonder why there is so much difference in performance between PrBoom+ and GZDoom.
I used Saturnine Chapel in both. It's a very small level, with a lot of animated textures, but that's it, it's positively tiny in comparison with other mods and it doesn't have complicated scripting or custom stuff. I also played it with all my usual mods turned off in ZDL, at the same resolution in both engines and both in openGL mode. I also turned off texture resizing, bloom, lightning, AO in GZDoom.
The result? GZDoom 35 fps, PrBoom 70 fps, in the same place. why.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
because PrBoom is the superior port you should use for everything that doesn't have mod features or 3d stuff that require GZDoom :twisted:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

because PrBoom is the superior port you should use for everything that doesn't have mod features or 3d stuff that require GZDoom :twisted:

Here I maybe marked as heretic, but I play with wasd + mouse (and no autoaim), and the mouse movement in PrBoom is... weird. It doesn't feel good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
my guess is the list of behavior that's closer to vanilla doom than gz is includes mouse movement rip

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Barudak posted:

That list seems correct except the old XBLA ports are back, Microsoft apparently screwed that up.

Which didnt affect me because Ive never uninstalled those games.

Same here, I'll never uninstall them from my 360. But having them back to the store is cool.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

Speaking of source ports, sometimes i have to wonder why there is so much difference in performance between PrBoom+ and GZDoom.
I used Saturnine Chapel in both. It's a very small level, with a lot of animated textures, but that's it, it's positively tiny in comparison with other mods and it doesn't have complicated scripting or custom stuff. I also played it with all my usual mods turned off in ZDL, at the same resolution in both engines and both in openGL mode. I also turned off texture resizing, bloom, lightning, AO in GZDoom.
I fiddled around with some debug console commands I don't entirely understand, and it looks like GZDoom is doing more BSP processing there than it does for most levels. Possibly due to all the scrolling walls?

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Getting it running as homebrew isn't sufficient for Bethesda to sell it officially. I don't know what all features the switch version has, but if you want to do achievements or multiplayer that's gonna be a good bit of work, testing things to make them polished enough to actually sell is a whole thing, and then you have to get it certified by Nintendo which you don't if you're just throwing a homebrew build on.

There is nothing that requires it to be online as people have repeatedly said. Just take the L already.

EDIT: also "sufficient for Bethesda to sell it officially" is funny as hell when people literally can't play it because it cant connect to the server. At launch.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 27, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Turin Turambar posted:

There can be a lot of explanations. The simplest being that you have FPS capping enabled in GZDoom, since 35 Hz is Doom's normal refresh rate. :v:

That said, other factors that can play include how GZDoom just as a lot more feature, and even if they aren't used, their existence means more overhead in the code. Another thing is that after a long series of benchmarks on various platforms, it was found out that the optimizations that made ZDoom faster on old machines now make it slower on contemporary hardware, and vice-versa. Graf prefers to optimize for recent hardware, so if your computer is getting old, then GZDoom's performances will be hindered. In that case, you could try LZDoom to see if it works better for you.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Can someone briefly explain what UNITY is and why I should be mad at it

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's a game engine, like Unreal Engine or even the Doom engine. It's not really what you should be mad about so much as everything else that's wrong about the port, though the time spent wrapping the Doom engine in Unity seems like it would be better spent on implementing features people actually want.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Another thing is that after a long series of benchmarks on various platforms, it was found out that the optimizations that made ZDoom faster on old machines now make it slower on contemporary hardware, and vice-versa. Graf prefers to optimize for recent hardware, so if your computer is getting old, then GZDoom's performances will be hindered.
That being said, this process isn't perfect. A while back, the Direct3D poo poo in the software renderer (used for 2D stuff like the gun and HUD) was removed and replaced with OpenGL to try and clean up/unify the code a bit. However, it's since been found that this was actually quite a bit slower because OpenGL drivers kinda suck at this particular thing.

The developers don't necessarily try to actively boot out older systems (I think Windows XP support was only dropped recently due to Visual Studio changes?), but between Graf preferring newer systems and dpJudas testing on a 32-core Threadripper, there's not a huge amount of testing/focus on them. Outside of the LZDoom dev, of course, but he's just one man who IIRC is dealing with some serious health issues.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Glagha posted:

Yeah the preview reception was extremely negative for a long while until they showed some single player at an NVIDIA event of all things and the people who saw it were like "wait holy poo poo why didn't you show me this before what the gently caress"

When that Nvidia Vulkan demonstration dropped it resulted in one of the biggest 180s I've ever seen for a game pre-release, it went from people making GBS threads on it to talking about pre orders and poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Minidust posted:

Can someone briefly explain what UNITY is and why I should be mad at it

it's a really popular game design framework/toolkit/language/whatever, especially for cross-platform projects. If you're releasing a small game on a bunch of different platforms, it's one of the best starting points as I understand it.

The thing is that Doom is Doom, and it doesn't need to be jammed into a 2018 gaming toolkit to work fine, especially with all the ports and toolkits and everything from over the years.

Bethesda basically took Doom (a round peg), added poo poo to it to make it a square peg, then is trying to shove it into a round hole again. It's absurd overkill and absurdly overdone when all anyone needs is "load Doom, shoot monster."

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Good soup! posted:

When that Nvidia Vulkan demonstration dropped it resulted in one of the biggest 180s I've ever seen for a game pre-release, it went from people making GBS threads on it to talking about pre orders and poo poo

It led me to buy the game a few days after release. The positive reception mattered, of course, but I don't even think the game would've been on my radar if it wasn't for the joyous uproar after the Vulkan demonstration.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

As far as I can tell it's the butchered Nerve port that they've been reheating for years with bugs remaining (like the slow music) from when it was packaged with Doom 3 on the original XBOX. Surely they could have spent a little time in the last decade and a half to do as little as hack in 16x9 support but I guess crappy looking menus are more important.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1155140773215649793

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

Going back a pinch...
Fair enough.

I think this means pointless GZDoom drama's next on the docket. I can't wait!*

* This is a lie. I can, in fact, wait.

The thread just needs to go full Ptolemy at this point and start introducing at least four layers of epicycles to cover everything…

Someone at Bethesda should be sent to the next olympic games. As long as you mount the starting blocks backwards, they should be able to break al kinds of short- and medium-distance running records.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

There can be a lot of explanations. The simplest being that you have FPS capping enabled in GZDoom, since 35 Hz is Doom's normal refresh rate. :v:

Nope. I just said 35 as an quick-by-eyeball average :P

quote:

, it was found out that the optimizations that made ZDoom faster on old machines now make it slower on contemporary hardware, and vice-versa. Graf prefers to optimize for recent hardware, so if your computer is getting old, then GZDoom's performances will be hindered.

i7 4770k, gtx 1080 oc, 16gb ram, 2 ssds... I don't think it will be this.

I think it's just what The Kins suggested, this particular wallscroll feature is maybe implemented in a slightly unoptimized way in GZDoom, usually it doesn't matter, but in this map where it's everywhere outside, it may cause the slowdown. I'm playing a much more normal map now, let me benchmark that...

At least they took the feedback well and they are reverting it, gj Bethesda.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I use Crispy Doom for anything that doesn't require more than a limit-removing port, and the mousing feels pretty similar to GZDoom defaults if I turn off acceleration and set the sensitivity to around 30.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Seems like something they would've caught pretty quick if anyone at the office had bothered to try it even once

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/smudgebap/status/1154869671289638914

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Cephalectomy posted:

bethesda gearboxed doom. loving shameful

gearbox as a verb, lmao