Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Something about "Dan Gheesling is an ORIGINAL BACKER" is deeply funny to me. Buddy, we're all original backers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Meridian posted:

Tuned into the highest viewer count star citizen streamer and watched as they larped an "op" where an opposing "team" of players could have killed every one of the protagonists using one magazine if they had been told the safeword to do anything by

The Streamer.

He then proceed to run across an open plain toward the "objective" while yelling at team mates about going the wrong way. He then died of a heart attack. Because that is a thing. The streamer then rage quit the stream because this was the second time he died of a heart attack. This stream. Game is shaping up boys.

Do you really die of a heart attack?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:ironicat:

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Roadmap comparison tool:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cigw64/sc_roadmap_comparison_tool_018/

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

reverend crabhands posted:

I'm not bothered about the Epic stuff, I already have a bunch of games bought there, but the difference with MW5 is they did say Steam/GOG/Humble on the Kickstarter so I can sympathise here with MW5 backers.

The games doing this swap after saying Steam/GoG/Humble/whatever are really in kind of a sketchy position. I know 'good faith' is bullshit and all that, but couldn't they in theory get in trouble with kickstarter/the backers if they couldn't prove that it was absolutely necessary they move to epic to deliver the game AND refused refunds to kickstarter backers?

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Never knew about TNGS (this was before I started "following" Chris Roebrts' magnum opus). In retrospect the shakiness of the concept and the failure to execute are all hallmarks of Chris Roberts; the Roberts touch if you will.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Sillybones posted:

Do you really die of a heart attack?

Nope, that would just be stu

Sarsapariller posted:

Yes this is one of Star Citizen's anti-fun features that I don't talk about much anymore. You have a heart rate. If you run, it'll go up. High heart rate is bad- it makes you consume oxygen real fast, and if it goes too high you will literally begin to take damage and die. It doesn't take much, either. Running in full armor and doing a couple of jumps will kill you within seconds.

This is obviously extremely fidelitous to the way that all real-world humans are minutes away from a full cardiac episode, and it's not at all a giant annoying rear end-pain to have to walk at half-speed everywhere or else strip all your clothes off. They definitely did not implement this because people running too fast made their game look real lovely.

pid. Yes. It's real.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Pilz posted:

The games doing this swap after saying Steam/GoG/Humble/whatever are really in kind of a sketchy position. I know 'good faith' is bullshit and all that, but couldn't they in theory get in trouble with kickstarter/the backers if they couldn't prove that it was absolutely necessary they move to epic to deliver the game AND refused refunds to kickstarter backers?
I think Epic have promised to refund all Kickstarter backers if they aren't interested now it's not on Steam etc. It's this sort of stuff that is making Epic the current flavour of the week for the "this games company is kind of lovely" chat though.

Saw
Aug 19, 2005

I am loosing my patience after seeing your big size boobs and having a wish to suck them for atleast one hour then t
Any truth to this being a leaked page from Robert's script?

quote:

{Story Branch - deck crew death after player launches before waiting for proper motions from the shooter - disable input controls}

[Captain White] Goddammit <PlayerName>! I was told you were a qualified pilot. What the hell kind of stunt were you pulling, launching before the deck crew ran through all of their tasks? You launched before the shooter gave you the take-off signal. We've got a member of the crew who caught your engine exhaust right in the face in sickbay now. Likely he'll be retired from the UEE Navy prematurely due to his injuries thanks to your impatience. I'm getting too old to deal with hotshots who think they know better. Report to 'Pusher' for your re-education on proper launch protocols ASAP! Get out of my face now, you maverick!

[Transition]

[Naraya 'Pusher' Fell] While you await launch, watch the deck crew. At first, a number of green shirts will come in to give your ship a quick look over to make sure everything looks OK. Next, the plane director will step out to give his OK. If they believe you are go for launch, they will give this signal {todo: mocap Sandi acting out 'passing the ball'} that indicates they're passing the ball to the shooter. If the shooter agrees that you can launch, they will give this signal {todo: mocap Sandi acting out 'launch'} - indicating that you can now launch. Launching before all of the deck crew finishes their jobs is a danger, not only to them, but to you as well <PlayerName>. Do you follow me <PlayerCallSign>?

{todo: blur transition to Pusher recalling a memory from her early days, and having then Commander Bishop disciplining her for some infraction. Need to fulfill promise to Sandi of having 1 on 1 sceen time with Oldman}

{Player response tree LRT1aef - enable controls for a,b,c reponse possibilities}
A. Wow, that sure is a lot to remember. You must be so smart Pusher.
B. So smart, so beautiful, and so deadly to the Vanduul - the UEE is so lucky you as one of us, Pusher.
C. You have a gift for teaching - it's remarkable how much you know for only being 27 years old!

{Game response tree GLRT1aef - select random}
A. GoSub PusherGivesHardAssButFriendlyReminderToKeepYourWitsAboutYou [todo: more mocap of crew letting player know how lucky they are that they got off relatively easy]
B. GoSub PusherSmiles {todo: get animators to alter mocaps of Sandi's smile to look more human}, player is allowed to resume control of character's motion.
C. GoSub Pusher demotes <Player>. One ship at random {todo: make random==highest cost} is taken from player.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Saw posted:

:laffo: not gonna lie you had me in the first paragraph.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pilz posted:

The battletech tabletop franchise is held by the same people who hold shadowrun, if I'm not mistaken. They're mormons, and the head of the company was caught embezzling a rather large amount of money. The company never got the money back, he kept his job, and Shadowrun 5e is a bit of a mess as a result.

The Harebrained Schemes Shadowrun games are pretty great at least. They also made a turnbased Battletech game, but again, it's not that good. Suffers from serious technical issues, ultra slow paced combat, outrageous difficulty spikes, and having some of the worst art direction and color pallets.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

Something about "Dan Gheesling is an ORIGINAL BACKER" is deeply funny to me. Buddy, we're all original backers.

Speak for yourself, Beet. I'm just a discount clone backer myself :smuggo:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Saw posted:

You left out the space tractor pushing your car down the space runway

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Ianan90/status/1154651174240432128

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

Zaphod42 posted:

Everybody has bills to pay doesn't negate ethics in your work. I don't think I'd accept a job at Facebook or Microsoft if they offered me one, for instance. I like that my company is something at least a tiny bit respectable.

How good is star citizen work experience though?

If I was interviewing someone and the only thing on their resume was CIG no way in hell would I hire them.

As someone who was just involved in hiring a couple ex-system designers who came from SQ42 for a different company. Regardless of working for a period to pay the bills because there’s no other jobs at the time does not negate the fact that both these guys are actually really qualified systems designers. They just happened to work on a project so hosed, that they could not actually do what they are good at, and jumped as soon as a real opportunity came open.

I don’t hold it against low level guys. But if you’re any form of upper management level in CIG. Your career ends when that ends. No one (except maybe a really stupid company - and a couple do come to mind) would even consider the value of those guys in their organizations.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/Rexzilla/status/1155164298374787075

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

My brother is in the animation industry, and it's the same thing - a bad property on your resume isn't a black mark, it's good experience. Even bad works require teams of good people doing hard work.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mne nravitsya posted:

As someone who was just involved in hiring a couple ex-system designers who came from SQ42 for a different company. Regardless of working for a period to pay the bills because there’s no other jobs at the time does not negate the fact that both these guys are actually really qualified systems designers. They just happened to work on a project so hosed, that they could not actually do what they are good at, and jumped as soon as a real opportunity came open.

I don’t hold it against low level guys. But if you’re any form of upper management level in CIG. Your career ends when that ends. No one (except maybe a really stupid company - and a couple do come to mind) would even consider the value of those guys in their organizations.

Yeah, but I brought that up earlier in the thread in the context of them hiring fresh grads. What if the only industry experience you had was CIG? That'd be rough. Not that you couldn't ever or shouldn't ever deserve work, but I just said I feel bad for some people who would get swindled by CIG basically looking like a decent outfit from outward appearances.

But then like I also said, I think after a year or so you'd have a good idea what a scam and mess of development the company is, and if you aren't trying to jump ship then I think that's both bad from an ethical standpoint and also bad for your career.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Saw posted:

Crobear wishes he could write that well.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, but I brought that up earlier in the thread in the context of them hiring fresh grads. What if the only industry experience you had was CIG? That'd be rough. Not that you couldn't ever or shouldn't ever deserve work, but I just said I feel bad for some people who would get swindled by CIG basically looking like a decent outfit from outward appearances.

It's certainly not ideal, but a job is a job, money is money, and it DOES produce something they can put on their resume and show in their portfolio.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Pilz posted:

The battletech tabletop franchise is held by the same people who hold shadowrun, if I'm not mistaken. They're mormons, and the head of the company was caught embezzling a rather large amount of money. The company never got the money back, he kept his job, and Shadowrun 5e is a bit of a mess as a result.

I would like to know more. Is there a thread or link with any more information on this?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jobbo_Fett posted:

We do NOT talk about Absolution here.

It doesn't exist. Anything yiu think you kniw about Absolution is false and should be forgotten.

Thought I was in the Hitman thread for a minute here

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Testing Ballista: https://v.redd.it/d8jnpass3uc31

I'm 0:38

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Saw posted:

I have no idea. But I hope like hell it is

Option 1: Compliment Sandi's intelligence.
Option 2: Compliment Sandi's beauty.
Option 3: Compliment Sandi in such a way that calls her attention to her age being in her 20s

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jul 27, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Man, those wheels were really spring loaded.

God every single aspect of that looks like complete trash. The locking mechanic that takes 12 seconds, the giant 3D red "targeting" icon that does nothing but clutter the screen, the broken missile firing sound, the fact that they missiles don't loving do anything- How can you sell this for 140 dollars? How can anyone buy this and feel like they made a good purchase? It's completely disconnected from reality.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

I'm the dumbest motherfucker on earth and even I knew not to back anything from PGI after what they did to MWO. I cannot believe anyone is actually surprised and outraged that they are loving over their kickstarter backers for a fat wad of cash. It's what they do.

E: Preorders, not kickstarter backers. Even better- give them money through their own website, no terms or conditions need apply!

Sarsapariller fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 27, 2019

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

God I love the new player experience. It's even better when they have no idea what's waiting for them if they complain on the sub.

The Newbie posted:

So I'm finally getting time to check out how Star Citizen has come along since I first heard about it in 2010 and backed in 2012. Last time I played there was only the Arena Commander and the static ships in the hangars.

First impression a few nights ago with 3.6 freshly installed was pretty decent. Had few issues flying to systems and getting a feel for Navigating the verse. Till I tried quantum traveling to a location on Hurston and my ship bounced off the surface and exploded.

After a series of infinite loading screens and giving up trying to play the last couple days to today. I've tried to make 3 cargo runs and expended and lost all of my credits due to crashes, buggy GUI, and another string of infinite loading screens and a completely unnecessary explosion trying to land at Lorville. The most frustrating part of this experience is that I can not be compesanted for the 10,000 credits I've lost because of all of these janky mechanics and bugs.. or the horrible VTOL mechanics implemented.

Oh and I got marooned on one planet because my ship had half a pad off the landing site and got a PARKING Infraction and my ship impounded, the cargo on board lost to the void gods. Then I couldn't get a ship retrieval on the tiny pads the planet DID have, even an Anvil wouldn't fit for some ODD reason. Being stuck and no other players willing to come pick me up I was left to remove my helmet and let the vacuum of space suck what was left of my soul out so I could once again be stuck on a black screen after life finally expires from my character.

I know there's a lot being worked on and a lot of stuff trying to come together and that this is still VERY clearly ALPHA. My caveat to this is DO NOT tell your backers you can't compensate them lost credits for this fiasco of a process.

Pilz
Jul 25, 2016
Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would like to know more. Is there a thread or link with any more information on this?

I don't know about a SA thread, happened in 2010 and I wasn't on these forums then. Most of the discussion I know of happened on 4chan's /tg/ board. Your best bet would probably be to search for information on Catalyst Game Labs' embezzlement issues. I grabbed the following from the 1d4chan wiki:

quote:

They own the Classic BattleTech License. And for some reason, own Shadowrun as well. If you pirate their stuff, you are putting a lovely company with a death grip on well-loved games in the grave so someone who actually cares can get the rights.

They no longer publish CthulhuTech or Eclipse Phase as Loren L Coleman was such a visionary guy that he imagined money belonging to Catalyst Game Labs was actually his money and could be used to remodel his house rather than pay the writers and artists. They are currently in court for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. For those playing at home this is the less lulzy form of bankruptcy that real companies use, Chapter 11. The situation with Shadowrun rights is currently yet unresolved, beyond nearly all of the freelancers who had been working on Shadowrun since the FASA days quitting over niggling little issues like not being paid for work that was going to press.

As of 2017, the shittiness of Loren L. Coleman and ongoing accounting bullshit apparently drove the BattleTech Line Developer and Assistant Line Developer out of the company as well due to nonpayment of salaries.

The major news of why the freelancers weren't being paid broke shortly before the 5th edition of Shadowrun was set to release, leading to all the freelancers to pull their work from the project. The rightsholders for CthulhuTech and Eclipse Phase also pulled CGL's ability to publish their IPs.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

And i can't wait to see what CR rips off this year!

Been watching The Handmaid's Tale. It has ceremonial rape in it. That would go down well with some backers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'll help you out Rex. Is there someone who looks like they are coked up to the 9s shouting orders into their microphone while talking up a really buggy alpha? That's Star Citizen.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sarsapariller posted:

God I love the new player experience. It's even better when they have no idea what's waiting for them if they complain on the sub.

Most upvoted at time of reading..

quote:

This is the thing my man, do not play expecting a polished experience

I'm so glad CIG are taking their time to get things right, rather than releasing a half flinshed buggy game.

Actually, do backers still say that? Or have they finally realized what they are saying when they say that?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

I have no idea. But I hope like hell it is

Option 1: Compliment Sandi's intelligence.
Option 2: Compliment Sandi's beauty.
Option 3: Compliment Sandi in such a way that calls her attention to her age being in her 20s
Where is the option to compliment firmness of her grip on my throat?

Oh my, 265 views so far.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dwesa posted:

Oh my, 265 views so far.

Half of them from goons following the link to see what he's shouting at now.

Its funny, it looks just like your typical and bog standard milsim shooter. Absoloutely nothing special about it at all.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Wrong!

it takes 20 minutes to respawn, that's different.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Dwesa posted:

That's just assumed in all the responses friend.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Midnight Voyager posted:

Thought I was in the Hitman thread for a minute here

:cry:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

And i can't wait to see what CR rips off this year!

Been watching The Handmaid's Tale. It has ceremonial rape in it. That would go down well with some backers.

The book is really good, and the first two seasons are great. Season 3 however is terrible.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hey guys, look at this video from Call of Duty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5jTL3RgcW4

IT WAS SC! I TRICKED YOU! Couldn't tell, huh? Thought so. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

FINALLY getting my monies worth out of this hate sub