Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Th-th-they came

I'm having some serious painter paralysis. I want them to be perfect. The Corgi warlock guys. These are very, very good dogs.

E- I'm just realizing something about them that's confusing me. Is French a class in Dungeons & Dragons I wasn't aware of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Booley posted:

The artificer brushes are rebranded w&n series 7s. They're actually probably going to be better than series 7s because they go through both w&n and gw quality control.

I honestly had no idea. The more you know.

Seldom Posts posted:

I don't think anyone answered this. I just started using a wet palette as well and would be interested in the answer or any other guides or hints about using wet palettes.

My wet palette is a Warmachine clamshell blister with some paper towels inside on top of the sponge and a replaceable parchment membrane. I don't clean it beyond replacing the paper towels and parchment when they get too contaminated with paint. I washed out the sponge the other day for the first time in 4 years and it wasn't mouldy. It's also never smelled. I keep the lid on when I'm done painting.

Our paints also contain preservatives (in addition to being variably toxic) so I'm not overly worried about mould.

YMMV though if your tap water is dirty to begin with.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Th-th-they came

I'm having some serious painter paralysis. I want them to be perfect. The Corgi warlock guys. These are very, very good dogs.

E- I'm just realizing something about them that's confusing me. Is French a class in Dungeons & Dragons I wasn't aware of?

I backed those on kickstarter, and also have massive paralysis about actually painting them. For the record, the companion pdf lists Hartley as "French Bulldog Fighter", so the box is just a typo. His breed is French Bulldog, his class is Fighter.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

SiKboy posted:

I backed those on kickstarter, and also have massive paralysis about actually painting them. For the record, the companion pdf lists Hartley as "French Bulldog Fighter", so the box is just a typo. His breed is French Bulldog, his class is Fighter.

Was joking but yes, paint yours too and post them. Dog up this thread.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Th-th-they came

These are the poo poo! Where can I buy them?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

w00tmonger posted:

These are the poo poo! Where can I buy them?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/russrmc/animal-adventures-tales-of-dungeons-and-doggies
It's from a KS campaign but I have no idea where you can buy them outside of that.

VolatileSky
May 5, 2007
i'm gay thx
Anyone have experience with the Vallejo black primer via airbrush? I'm out of black spray paint, though I was thinking to try Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Paint - Flat Black. I did their 2x last time and that was.... Almost a disaster.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

VolatileSky posted:

Anyone have experience with the Vallejo black primer via airbrush? I'm out of black spray paint, though I was thinking to try Rust-Oleum Painter's Touch Multi-Purpose Paint - Flat Black. I did their 2x last time and that was.... Almost a disaster.

Do it all the time and it works great. Get some Vallejo flow improver to thin it down for the airbrush

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Dungeons & Doggies
Is there a Cattes & Crusades?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Pierzak posted:

Is there a Cattes & Crusades?
There's Cats & Catacombs.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

richyp posted:

Painted these 20 dead guys today.

All in all about 40 minutes for the lot, half of which was getting the texture paint on the bases.

The ghost recipe is:

1:) Aethermatic Blue.
2:) Wait for it to dry

Now 75% of Battle of Pelennor Fields done and I can watch Return of the King tonight thanks to the time saved on these 20.

RichyP... you bow to no one.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

I honestly had no idea. The more you know.

My wet palette is a Warmachine clamshell blister with some paper towels inside on top of the sponge and a replaceable parchment membrane. I don't clean it beyond replacing the paper towels and parchment when they get too contaminated with paint. I washed out the sponge the other day for the first time in 4 years and it wasn't mouldy. It's also never smelled. I keep the lid on when I'm done painting.

Our paints also contain preservatives (in addition to being variably toxic) so I'm not overly worried about mould.

YMMV though if your tap water is dirty to begin with.

Thanks.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is there a standard fix for clearing out the stupid little metal tubes that come with the Citadel Plastic glue when they got clogged? I just want to assemble some drat bikes! :argh:

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Quidthulhu posted:

Is there a standard fix for clearing out the stupid little metal tubes that come with the Citadel Plastic glue when they got clogged? I just want to assemble some drat bikes! :argh:

I use an 11 gauge guitar string to clear the tube on my revell plastic glue, I assume the citadel one is similar. You could also pop the tube out and run a lighter or something over it which works too.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013
Any advice for painting black fabric - specifically a commisar's trenchcoat. Am I best to basecoat black or go with a dark blue/purple/green before a black wash?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Quidthulhu posted:

Unscrew the needle applicator top, turn it upside down and dunk the needle applicator in the plastic glue remaining in your bottle. It should quickly melt any blockage. I usually then blow air through the end not covered in wet glue to expel any bits left over. Works every time. I ended up switching to Tamiya extra thin plastic glue eventually for this very reason, as it comes with a nice brush applicator that cannot jam or clog.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

chippocrates posted:

Any advice for painting black fabric - specifically a commisar's trenchcoat. Am I best to basecoat black or go with a dark blue/purple/green before a black wash?

The standard GW method is Abaddon black with different edge highlights, usually blueish greys. Nowadays there is Black Templar contrast as well but I have no idea how good the results are for that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Cooked Auto posted:

The standard GW method is Abaddon black with different edge highlights, usually blueish greys. Nowadays there is Black Templar contrast as well but I have no idea how good the results are for that.

Someone itt mentioned using very dark reds for black cloaks and it's nice on the eyes as well as dark blues or grey-blues. Using flat greys is hard and never looks that nice.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm bad at colour theory so I've generally just followed the instructions on the painting app so that's not something I've tried before.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Quidthulhu posted:

I use a lighter to burn out the clogs in the Testor's Model Master one. Works great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So after hearing all the good things about Windsor & Newton Brush Cleaner & Restorer I decided to give it a shot on some old brushes.

That was after 30 minutes.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I know you’re talking about a coat, rather than power armour, but I always wanted to see someone demo the gloss varnish highlight method. It apparently involves edge highlighting black power armour using thin lines of gloss varnish instead of normal paint. Sounds really weird, but apparently people do it.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

That’s cool Beer, was thinking of getting some of that stuff to tame a brush that won’t stop splitting.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm almost tempted to try the boiling water method for cleaning brushes that someone mentioned earlier. I think some of my need a good deep clean anyway and the soap isn't work all the way.
Mostly because I don't have no idea where to get that W&N cleaner nor the money to get it from abroad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Th-th-they came

On the KS page itself it's listed as "French Bulldog Fighter", so it's just a dropped word throwing you off.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gunder posted:

I know you’re talking about a coat, rather than power armour, but I always wanted to see someone demo the gloss varnish highlight method. It apparently involves edge highlighting black power armour using thin lines of gloss varnish instead of normal paint. Sounds really weird, but apparently people do it.

That's really odd. I could see it working though. What's the underlying varnish? Matte?

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That's really odd. I could see it working though. What's the underlying varnish? Matte?

I have no idea. The Reddit post this idea came from was really unspecific.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

chippocrates posted:

I start with pure black, then highlight with very dark greys, and I don't do any edge highlights. No matter how you do it, be careful that your highlights aren't too light, or everything will look glossy.

This is the look I get on it.

Electric Hobo fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jul 28, 2019

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Electric Hobo posted:

I start with pure black, then highlight with very dark greys, and I don't do any edge highlights. No matter how you do it, be careful that your highlights aren't too light, or everything will look glossy.

This is the look I get on it.

Thanks. I've done smaller bits of black with abbaddon black and eshin grey or thunderhawk blue.

Some of this may relate to going to my parent's house and finding 2 hex pots of blood red and 1 of deadly nightshade... 20 years old and seemingly servicable!

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

This guy was an experiment in doing super lazy black coats. Airbrushed VMC Black Grey with a very light zenithal spray of VMA Cold Grey. Then did an all over spray of AP Dark Tone mixed 50-50 with airbrush thinner and a little brush application of the same after it was dry to push some shadows. Finally a Dullcote varnish to kill any gloss. I think it worked well.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

adamantium|wang posted:

This guy was an experiment in doing super lazy black coats. Airbrushed VMC Black Grey with a very light zenithal spray of VMA Cold Grey. Then did an all over spray of AP Dark Tone mixed 50-50 with airbrush thinner and a little brush application of the same after it was dry to push some shadows. Finally a Dullcote varnish to kill any gloss. I think it worked well.

For a lazy version of black, that came out looking really nice and clean.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Yeah that looks great

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

Working up from a dark grey and then using washes to filter it back down to near black is the only way I've got black highlights I'm happy with. This technique is super easy and effective.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also remember that true black doesn't exist in the real world, and shadows in the outdoors with a yellow sun have a blue hue. Incorporating a bit of color theory into your painting can do a lot to improve things.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Got confused and thought Warcry was released yesterday and was planning on painting some Iron Golems this week, turns out its next week when I don't have a week to myself. Instead I'm creating a warband for AoS Skirmish as hopefully I'll get my first game of anything in the next couple of weeks. So I grabbed the Start Collecting: Sylvaneth on clearance last night and ordered some Elves to make a Winter woodland gang.

Here's the Dyrad part of the list:

and a non-white background so the snow is actually visible:

The "Ice" is gloss varnish that I've deliberately fogged up using a hairdryer to break it.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I tried a new primer today and it went on insanely thick. I’ll post pics later before I decide if it’s worth painting or if it needs another dunk in the Purple Pool.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

He actually looks a lot better dry. Still not perfect, but I think he's paintable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think h you should give it a shot unless you're confident you will get every bit of paint from every crevice.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

richyp posted:

Got confused and thought Warcry was released yesterday and was planning on painting some Iron Golems this week, turns out its next week when I don't have a week to myself. Instead I'm creating a warband for AoS Skirmish as hopefully I'll get my first game of anything in the next couple of weeks. So I grabbed the Start Collecting: Sylvaneth on clearance last night and ordered some Elves to make a Winter woodland gang.

Here's the Dyrad part of the list:

and a non-white background so the snow is actually visible:

The "Ice" is gloss varnish that I've deliberately fogged up using a hairdryer to break it.

drat those are tasty. You're an inspiration, as always

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think h you should give it a shot unless you're confident you will get every bit of paint from every crevice.

Yeah, I had difficulty with that the first time and I don't want to do it again. I'll give this guy a go and be more careful next time with the Rustoleum stuff