Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
How do you make gauntlet work? It just seem weak compared to lance/axe/sword? Maybe the hawks don’t have anyone suited for it? Is there a poachable character who excels at gauntlet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Every magic user should carry a big sturdy axe, just because they can.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Megasabin posted:

How do you make gauntlet work? It just seem weak compared to lance/axe/sword? Maybe the hawks don’t have anyone suited for it? Is there a poachable character who excels at gauntlet?

1: Have a very strong character like Raphael wield them

2: Get a couple speed level ups

3: Start hitting people for 13x4 by chapter 3.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
chapter 2 i was in trouble with raphael getting doubled already

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Gamerofthegame posted:

Are the auxillary maps, at least early on, not perma-death or something?

These GOT MURDERED quotes sound more like retreat ones and I am pretty sure I'm not on casual
Pretty sure anything described as a "practice battle" or similar isn't permadeath because, well, it's a practice battle and they're not fighting to kill. I definitely got a message about that being the case for the first story mock battle, so I'm guessing it carries on to other mock battles.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Megasabin posted:

Sylvain, somewhat ironically since he's meant to be a cavalier and they can't use fist weapons, actually does pretty well with gauntlets since his personal skill gives him +2 damage when adjacent to a female character.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Fists go great on just about all the Blue Lions because it's a team of physical bruisers, and loading them all with innate brave weapons is just nuts.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Finished the game. It's my favorite game in the series by far (been playing since 7).

Threaded some thoughts / shared screenshots on twitter (light to medium spoilers): https://twitter.com/koldpt/status/1155165219662045185

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DLC Inc posted:

I love the new system for magic and not having to buy books, learning stuff as skills. I went with Golden Deer so I think I'm an outlier by picking the misfits but Lysithea is swiftly becoming a monster.

If Lysithea isn't an offensive monster then something has gone very, VERY wrong in terms of RNG. She's super min-maxed, with base Mag/Dex/Spd growths of 60/60/50. The problem is that all her other growths are literal dumpster fire levels of bad (seriously, she's got 25 Res/Cha growth, 20 HP, 15 Str/Lk and 10! Def) so don't let her get hit by anything - including other mages.

She's probably the character that most consistently benefits from "pity" base stats for classes.

edit: Side note - All the Intermediate/Advanced pure magic classes also have -5 Def for their growths. So, uh, good luck hitting that 5% Def growth once she gets to that point. Hell, trying to get her into (and master) Cavalier at some point doesn't seem the worst idea in order to pick up Desperation.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 27, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
1st byleth level up is hp str and def.

Not bad?

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Playing blue lions, Mercedes has constantly the shittiest opinions and I'm amazed they've managed to create a character I actively dislike. Too bad she's a great mage.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Recruited Shamir at level 11 with C support.

Not sure if the items are random when they come, but Marianne had a gold bullion and Shamir came with a free intermediate seal.

(Also, getting Shamir early as possible is amazing because she starts in A for bows)

edit: Shamir also starts as the advanced class Sniper no matter how low level you are.

Tae fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 27, 2019

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I'm looking to poach Raphael and I just unlocked faculty sessions, who is the best teacher to make this happen

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Route spoilers for Edelgard: if you choose to tell her to gently caress off and stay with Rhea/the chuch, is that legitimately a fourth version of Part II? Can you get to that in either Claude or Dimitri's routes?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

not a bot posted:

Playing blue lions, Mercedes has constantly the shittiest opinions and I'm amazed they've managed to create a character I actively dislike. Too bad she's a great mage.

i'm sorry please do not talk about my lovely helium-voiced friend like that, she just wants to make sure you don't burn out by doing too much.

also i think i sort of stumbled backwards into one of the few same-sex relationships in the game, i just wanted dorothea because she's a cool girl opera singer and her C support already has me (jokingly?) declaring that i'll take care of her for the rest of her life.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

also

Andrast posted:

I might want to prioritize recruiting new units instead

the weekly instructor points get used for something else? I thought this was separate from the sunday seminar points. I've been focusing on exploration so I hadn't messed with it that often

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

KoldPT posted:

Route spoilers for Edelgard: if you choose to tell her to gently caress off and stay with Rhea/the chuch, is that legitimately a fourth version of Part II? Can you get to that in either Claude or Dimitri's routes?
That's actually the default path for that route, as siding with Edelgard has a couple of additional requirements that the player needs to complete beforehand. Claude and Dimitri only have one path each.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

not a bot posted:

I thought Mercedes and Annette were decent enough mages, but then I yoinked Dorothea and she blows them out of the water without a second thought. Luckily Annette has Rally and Mercedes doesn't need much MAG to be useful, but it's hilarious how bad they are in comparison.

Also I find it hilarious that for the Blue Lions in chapter 5, Sylvain, the lazy dickhead who spends all his time chasing women, is the first one to get a holy weapon, and he does it so early

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

Also I find it hilarious that for the Blue Lions in chapter 5, Sylvain, the lazy dickhead who spends all his time chasing women, is the first one to get a holy weapon, and he does it so early

Wait, is that house exclusive or just having him. Did I accidentally just screw myself out of an OP weapon? Cause I just returned it, not knowing it was an actual choice.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Arkhams Razor posted:

That's actually the default path for that route, as siding with Edelgard has a couple of additional requirements that the player needs to complete beforehand. Claude and Dimitri only have one path each.

Ah, cool. I'm gonna do that next then.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Wait, is that house exclusive or just having him. Did I accidentally just screw myself out of an OP weapon? Cause I just returned it, not knowing it was an actual choice.

Not even a choice. He just loving gets it.

Blue Lions for life.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Someone said I should reclass as soon as I hit level 5 with a character as I then get their class ability. My Claude just reached 5 and doesn’t seem to have any class abilities for being a level 5 noble?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

inthesto posted:

Not even a choice. He just loving gets it.

Blue Lions for life.

Hmm, it might be route exclusive or it requires bringing him to the battle. Cause I'm black eagles and didn't bring him (despite him on my roster), and I got asked if I wanted to keep it or not by Rhea after the battle.

Calico Heart posted:

Someone said I should reclass as soon as I hit level 5 with a character as I then get their class ability. My Claude just reached 5 and doesn’t seem to have any class abilities for being a level 5 noble?

Class rank is different than the level itself. Your level is always your level., there's another bar that goes up when you battle.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
How much does the story change based on your house? Like, if I were to play through the game twice, what percentage of what I saw would be different?

I definitely have decision paralysis.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It’s a completely different story on each route

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Chocolate Bunny posted:

Running out of spell uses doesn't really happen much once you get your magic users into their upgraded classes, but I keep a weapon on them anyway because why not.
imo its worth keeping a weapon on them just for enemies they have higher res than def, which happens sometimes

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Something fucky is definitely going on with these weapon tournaments. Occasionally the match will just end and I’ll be declared the loser? I could understand there being a time limit but I can’t figure out what the deciding factor is. It’s not health, because my unit always has more when the match ends early

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
people who complained about robin and corrin

byleth is a literal nothing character that says nothing and has next to no character

amazing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

How much does the story change based on your house? Like, if I were to play through the game twice, what percentage of what I saw would be different?

I definitely have decision paralysis.
part 1 has mostly the same battles but with different cutscenes, and there are some variations in some battles. Part 2 has entirely different battles.

General Morden posted:

byleth is a literal nothing character that says nothing and has next to no character

amazing
i like byleth more than corrin because their dialogue options read to me as vaguely snarky and the world doesn't seem to exist solely to suck their dick, which are both steps up from corrin

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

Something fucky is definitely going on with these weapon tournaments. Occasionally the match will just end and I’ll be declared the loser? I could understand there being a time limit but I can’t figure out what the deciding factor is. It’s not health, because my unit always has more when the match ends early

After two rounds of attacks, if you don't win, you lose.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

General Morden posted:

amazing

That makes it better imo. More of a true self-insert rather than halfway there.

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Endorph posted:

i like byleth more than corrin because their dialogue options read to me as vaguely snarky and the world doesn't seem to exist solely to suck their dick, which are both steps up from corrin

This here is the main point.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Carlosologist posted:

It’s a completely different story on each route

Mother fucker.

I’m going to have to play through this game three times, aren’t I?

I find the house choice actually really loving impressive. I thought I would have an easy time picking but they really made it hard to decide. I can think of reasons I like and dislike each group.

At first, I was certain I would just play as Edelgard. But then I saw how Dmitri looks in the second half and he looks cool as hell. But then I saw that Claude’s group feels more working class underdog.

I feel so split.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

General Morden posted:

amazing

while robin in general owned, corrin was just kind of a poorly written dweeb character (especially the male one to memory, I think lady Corrin was in general feistier.)

Byleth, however, is written as drab and unemotive, which is usually boring... but they're also called out on this inuniverse and it's actually their character instead of just being bad writing, so it actually wraps around to being good again

that or treehouse took liberties with the localization to make jokes about it

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

Gamerofthegame posted:

while robin in general owned, corrin was just kind of a poorly written dweeb character (especially the male one to memory, I think lady Corrin was in general feistier.)

Byleth, however, is written as drab and unemotive, which is usually boring... but they're also called out on this inuniverse and it's actually their character instead of just being bad writing, so it actually wraps around to being good again

that or treehouse took liberties with the localization to make jokes about it

that's a lot of mental gymnastics to try to like a character that has almost nothing going for them outside of some slightly funny dialogue choices

that being said i found a funny twitter drawing

https://twitter.com/yrfreakyneighbr/status/1155182208715378689

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i guess sothis gets to fill in for anything byleth is actually thinking or would have said during the story so it shakes out fine

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mordiceius posted:

Mother fucker.

f o u r

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Byleth is a true self-insert character and that’s fine because much like in real life I enjoy screwing with my students while also supporting them

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Mother fucker.

Four times. Also there are choices which alter the story in each routes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

General Morden posted:

that's a lot of mental gymnastics to try to like a character that has almost nothing going for them outside of some slightly funny dialogue choices
i dont think having a different opinion than you is mental gymnastics, lol