Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Who the hell is he defending those belts against, is what I want to know :confused:

People with their own replica money in the bank feast or fired briefcases

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
saving up money to buy tna replica belts is a unique kind of tragic I am not sure what to do with

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Who the hell is he defending those belts against, is what I want to know :confused:

his own insecurities.

I have a buddy who collects belts. It keeps him out of trouble. He's got the Impact Grand Championship, which is just too funny to hold.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Someone real mad about NXT:

quote:

Don't listen to these people, they obviously don't watch the weekly show only Takeovers. Takeovers have great matches but it's always the same 10 people and because they're scared to push anybody who won't get 5* from Meltzer, feuds get dragged out way too long and the booking becomes utterly nonsensical.

For instance: the top title was vacated, the top babyface Johnny Gargano got added to the title match even though he had just lost a title, the other spot had to be earned by the heel Adam Cole, who won a fatal 5 way. The match for the vacated title was 2/3 falls which the babyface won clean, end of story right? No, the heel beats up a random unaffiliated third guy, the babyface makes the save and then challenges the heel to a match for his own title, even though he beat him definitively. What's worse is the that the babyface loses the title clean in his first defense, then is handed another rematch. A story that was done after the first match gets stretched out for 3 ppvs over 4 months because they don't want to put anybody new in the main event.

The weekly shows have very little in the way of promos or character work and only people in the main event are allowed to touch a live mic. There are occasional backstage promos or skits but they're all usually 20 - 30 seconds, not a lot of time to get to know them or for them to show if they can talk.

The best thing you can say about NXT is there's no 50/50 booking, they have a different booking problem: predictability. Indie guys win, PC guys lose, if two indie guys are fighting the one with the bigger name wins, and every Takeover there's a new big name signee who will tear through the roster for 8 months or so, until they meet the last big name signee.

Watch the show if you really like indie wrestling because you'll know and like everyone on it, don't watch NXT if you're a fan of promos and characters, or if you heard it was developmental and that interested you, NXT is not developmental.

Note: This guy is a Lacey Evans superfan, and thinks she got shafted while in NXT. :v:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

lmao he keeps calling them PPVs. None of the NXT shows were actually carried on PPV carriers IIRC.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Eh, it's kind of become the industry standard when referring to "supercards".

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He’s not wrong about main event feuds being dragged out for loving ever, it’s the worst part of NXT

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Yeah the first two paragraphs are completely correct, he just didn't stop there while he was ahead

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
He's kinda correct in that NXT isn't really developmental either, it's more of uncle Paul's private indie promotion.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

his own insecurities.

I have a buddy who collects belts. It keeps him out of trouble. He's got the Impact Grand Championship, which is just too funny to hold.

I’d assume the kind of trouble a TNA bet collector would get up to would be of the “mailing Dixie Carter vials of his blood and hair” variety

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah that dude is bang on at the start. Overunning their main events turned Gargano/Ciampa from the best storyline in the history of NXT into.

I dunno, a bad one. It was bad. They did it too much.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DarkstarIV posted:

Someone real mad about NXT:

Note: This guy is a Lacey Evans superfan, and thinks she got shafted while in NXT. :v:

I'm definitely not just screaming into the ether that predictability isn't always a bad thing and often the predictable booking decision is also the right one to make. The Russo era of constant nonsensical swerves and more interest than surprises than it's making sense is a cancer on US wrestling fandom to this day.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I touched the poop and challenged the belt guy to a fight

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted:

Yeah that dude is bang on at the start. Overunning their main events turned Gargano/Ciampa from the best storyline in the history of NXT into.

I dunno, a bad one. It was bad. They did it too much.

I think it would have ended up coming off well if they'd been able to stick the landing but lol Vince.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

I think it would have ended up coming off well if they'd been able to stick the landing but lol Vince.

I guess, but Johnny slipping on a banana peel for pretty much a year straight just tuned me out of the whole thing.

Also Black never main evented a takeover as champ and ended his reign on TV. That was messed up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

I'm definitely not just screaming into the ether that predictability isn't always a bad thing and often the predictable booking decision is also the right one to make. The Russo era of constant nonsensical swerves and more interest than surprises than it's making sense is a cancer on US wrestling fandom to this day.

Yes, but the WWE style of 'run the title match 3-4 shows in a row, even if the champion won clean the first time' is bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Rarity posted:

I mean if it ended strong it would have been better but it still would have involved several months of Johnny Gargano as the biggest loser imaginable. A lot of the feud had pretty big issues I feel.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean if it ended strong it would have been better but it still would have involved several months of Johnny Gargano as the biggest loser imaginable. A lot of the feud had pretty big issues I feel.

I liked the Johnny as loser stuff cause it was what informed his heel turn and I loved heel Johnny :shobon:

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://twitter.com/BiffAndreasNAW/status/1154868353418375175?s=20

Kenny Omega hasn't had any good matches since leaving NJPW guys.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Kenny Omega hasn't made a poo poo-ton of money since leaving NJPW guys.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Kenny Omega has wrestled three matches, one of them great and a first time match (vs, CIMA), and the rate at which he will wrestling matches will never increase.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

karmicknight posted:

Kenny Omega has wrestled three matches, one of them great and a first time match (vs, CIMA), and the rate at which he will wrestling matches will never increase.

Plus one of them was a novelty theme show connected to a gaming tournament where he dressed up as a Street Fighter, so it's at least memorable for that

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...tm_source=share

This thread

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I'll never understand when people complain that NXT isn't a true developmental anymore. Like would they rather watch green as grass PC trainees stumble their way through a match?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

JT Smiley posted:

I'll never understand when people complain that NXT isn't a true developmental anymore. Like would they rather watch green as grass PC trainees stumble their way through a match?

NXT actually would be better as true training ground for wrestlers needing to learn and not a dumping place for indy talent WWE doesn't want in NJPW/AEW but doesn't want them on the main roster making main roster money.

Not to mention the fact NXT doesn't really make money and hasn't actually built a main roster star

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

SatoshiMiwa posted:

NXT actually would be better as true training ground for wrestlers needing to learn and not a dumping place for indy talent WWE doesn't want in NJPW/AEW but doesn't want them on the main roster making main roster money.

Not to mention the fact NXT doesn't really make money and hasn't actually built a main roster star

That last part of your statement is all because of Vince. Not because of NXT. There are plenty of talents who (or are) were in NXT that could be main event stars, but Vince goes out of his way to bury them.

And I'm pretty sure if NXT was converted into a program where only green wrestlers got the spotlight, it would be much more poorly received. I mean you have Aliyah who has been there for four years and not improved at all. And then you have other mediocre to bad workers like Brennan Williams (Dio Madden), Mansoor, etc who don't deserve screentime at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My counterpoint to that is that FCW was a pretty fun show a lot of the time.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

DarkstarIV posted:

That last part of your statement is all because of Vince. Not because of NXT. There are plenty of talents who (or are) were in NXT that could be main event stars, but Vince goes out of his way to bury them.

Yeah a lot of people come out of NXT to really good audience reactions, and then they get booked into the ground and lose that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"NXT doesn't make money" is something I hear a lot but never really understand, 'cause like. How is it supposed to? It's not a touring brand, to my understanding it only does the Florida loop and one or two regional tours a year and it's not on TV, so. How is it supposed to make money?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MJeff posted:

"NXT doesn't make money" is something I hear a lot but never really understand, 'cause like. How is it supposed to? It's not a touring brand, to my understanding it only does the Florida loop and one or two regional tours a year and it's not on TV, so. How is it supposed to make money?

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Indie darlings $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my developmental brand is dying

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

WWE havings its minor league have high match quality expectations so it can keep talent down there and not call them up and pay them main roster money is one of the more subtle mean things they've done. They also have fans wishing it too!

It'd be like a bad hockey/baseball team keeping talent down in the minors so the minor league team can win cups. Makes no sense at all

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

MJeff posted:

It does a regional tour roughly once a month actually. That being said, the talent down in NXT has most of their travel expenses paid for (I think they just have to pay for food), and get a decent amount of time off. Most work one or two house shows a week unless they are on the national tour. Some big names are left off of the national tour from time to time in order to help greener talents learn the ropes on the Largo Loop.

But yeah, NXT is meant to be a loss leader. Problem is well...Vince just makes it a money sink with no real returns to show.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, 95% of their claimed 'success stories' could probably have gone straight to the main roster and wouldn't be any worse of as performers. I mean, sure you can listen to Trips claim that Ricochet was scared to talk before NXT, but it's not like they really let him talk IN NXT nor on Raw, so what point is he even trying to make?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ricochet is a terrible, terrible promo. Go look up his G1 Special in USA appearance where he challenges the Bucks to the jr tag belts, it's a real "oh my god he is just as bad as talking as he is good at flipping"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

Ricochet is a terrible, terrible promo. Go look up his G1 Special in USA appearance where he challenges the Bucks to the jr tag belts, it's a real "oh my god he is just as bad as talking as he is good at flipping"

Yeah, but it's not like he's gotten better because WWE shoved a script in front of him. They just don't have him talk. Which is fine! But there's no reason to have him in NXT for the developmental reasons then. (Beyond the hard camera stuff we all joke about, but that's not actually a good reason and is arguably like learning to drift because your regular brakes on your car don't work, instead of getting them fixed - more effort for something that is only going to be more effective 20% of the time.)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If only there was a way that we could have somebody do the talking for Ricochet while he does the wrestling. Some kind of supervisor, if you will :thunkher:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

If only there was a way that we could have somebody do the talking for Ricochet while he does the wrestling. Some kind of supervisor, if you will :thunkher:

Like, you could even say that that person is managing his business affairs.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaah. That's ludicrous. It's not like athletes in real sports have someone like that! Ha ha. What a wild idea.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug
Bring back Max Moon to manage Ricochet.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

What like an agent, but an agent gets them thinking about representation and representation means thinking about the power of their labor, and where does that lead?

Unions! Do you want unionism in the WWE Universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Two Beans posted:

Bring back Max Moon to manage Ricochet.

I know you're joking, but Konnan doing promos for him would be great.