Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
Here's another budget build that's relatively easy to make I came up with today. I may play this in the future, as it seems pretty easy to make and will work as a league starter.

Dahbadu's (semi) Budget Terminus Est Cyclone Assassin

Level 95: https://pastebin.com/kHvSM0Bq

Stats:

100% chance to crit w/ 2.2+ mil shaper DPS w/ Cyclone (with less than 2 seconds of ramp, no funny business). If you include Vaal Double Strike, add another mil on. Those numbers are without being fully geared, quality gems, and there's no Abyssus in this build. You're very fast, always zooming around on max Frenzy charges. You got auto culling mechanics. With quality gems and good rare gear, you can probably add on another mil.

Why is this build "semi" budget?

The only difficult/expensive item to get in this build is Snakebite gloves corrupted with Curse Vulnerability on Hit. And that's relative, as these can go anywhere from 10 chaos to an exalt+ depending on if they're in style. As Snakebites are super cheap to get, you can also just try making your own if there aren't any cheap ones available for purchase.

Other than that, some of the items are even more budget than previous builds I've posted. Overall, you can probably make this build (not counting 6-links) for a few exalts.

What's solid about this build?

- Onslaught without a Flask
- Layered defense - evasion, blind, molten shell, armour, 78% ele resist (Loreweave), decent leech, regen, movespeed etc.
- Good damage, Cheap, Go Fast, Play a class other than Slayer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

For endgame gearing, should I be trying to buy an item with exactly the socket setup that I want already, or is it better to buy the cheapest one I can find and re-roll sockets / links until I get what I want? It seems like a lot of these builds have absolutely strict requirements on sockets to even function, and sifting through pages of trade board listings looking for the right combination of colors seems...inefficient.

quote:

If off-coloring is hard for what you're trying to do (that is, if you're using gems with colors that don't match up to the stat requirements of the item they're going in) then it might be cheaper. Vorici Calc is really good for giving you an idea for how many chromes it will take (on average) to get a specific color combo.

There's also a trick you can do with the crafting bench that makes off-coloring much easier. Let's say you're trying to get 4 red sockets on a set of two-toned int/evasion boots, which is normally almost impossible - the calculator says it'll take 1,200 chromatics. Instead what you do is use the crafting bench to reduce the item to two sockets, use the two red socket craft (cost: 25 chroms) which will color both of the existing sockets red, and then add a third socket using the bench (cost: 3 jewelers). If it doesn't roll red then drop the item back down to two sockets (cost: 1 jewelers) and try again. It'll preserve the coloring of the sockets that aren't being modified, i.e. the first two, so all you have to do is add and remove sockets until it rolls the color you want. This makes it pretty trivial to off-color anything that's a 4 socket or less. The cost starts becoming prohibitive if it's a 5 or 6 socket item because of the way the price increases, but it's extremely useful for other items.

You can also specify what colors you want sockets to be if you're searching on the official site; you can specify that you want 2 linked blues, 2 greens and one red for example.

e: Also, if we're thanking people for posting good ideas in the thread, the note about linking Dash, Blood Rage and Portal to an Enhance was pretty nice. You get a ton of CDR on dash and free attack speed, plus quick-casting portals back to base. I usually prefer to weapon swap for portal but it's a pain on my current character since there's some auras gemmed in the weapon.

RPZip fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 26, 2019

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

RPZip posted:

e: Also, if we're thanking people for posting good ideas in the thread, the note about linking Dash, Blood Rage and Portal to an Enlighten was pretty nice. You get a ton of CDR on dash and free attack speed, plus quick-casting portals back to base. I usually prefer to weapon swap for portal but it's a pain on my current character since there's some auras gemmed in the weapon.

Did you mean enhance?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah the Enhance 4L setup is real good, assuming of course you can spare the gems. But with CWDT/IC being dead I found it possible to fit on most of my builds pretty easy.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Any suggested uses for a spare 5 or 6 link on a pathfinder with 6 link (poison) scourge arrow? Right now it's just a bunch of gems that don't link in my 5L bow, as my armor has the 6L (and I'm not inclined to use the spare sockets on e.g. kaom's heart)

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Did you mean enhance?

I definitely did, yes.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

RPZip posted:

e: Also, if we're thanking people for posting good ideas in the thread, the note about linking Dash, Blood Rage and Portal to an Enhance was pretty nice. You get a ton of CDR on dash and free attack speed, plus quick-casting portals back to base. I usually prefer to weapon swap for portal but it's a pain on my current character since there's some auras gemmed in the weapon.

How are you finding dash? It's pretty fun in act 1 or 2 but the cooldown is long enough that it's not really reliable for moving around and I pretty quickly replace it with leap slam or shield charge linked to faster attacks.

Ciaphas posted:

Any suggested uses for a spare 5 or 6 link on a pathfinder with 6 link (poison) scourge arrow? Right now it's just a bunch of gems that don't link in my 5L bow, as my armor has the 6L (and I'm not inclined to use the spare sockets on e.g. kaom's heart)

You could use it to link a bunch of different auras to Enlighten and hopefully fit an extra one in.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

But with CWDT/IC being dead

This kind of hyperbole belongs on reddit.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

ubachung posted:

This kind of hyperbole belongs on reddit.

Unfortunately I don't have any easy way to screen for CWDT/IC since it's too few links for poe.ninja to track but CWDT/IC is hardly mandatory anymore. I know anecdotally I haven't run it on a single character this league and haven't felt the need to, unlike everything previously.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

How are you finding dash? It's pretty fun in act 1 or 2 but the cooldown is long enough that it's not really reliable for moving around and I pretty quickly replace it with leap slam or shield charge linked to faster attacks.

Both of those you can only use with certain equipment and shield charge doesn't replace dash anyway since it gets stuck on enemies and terrain. I used dash all the way through on my tornado shot character because it's a great escape move and I had blink arrow for traversing gaps anyway.

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Vasudus posted:

Unfortunately I don't have any easy way to screen for CWDT/IC since it's too few links for poe.ninja to track but CWDT/IC is hardly mandatory anymore. I know anecdotally I haven't run it on a single character this league and haven't felt the need to, unlike everything previously.

You could have just said this instead of proclaiming it dead. It's relatively weaker and the other options are more viable, but it still works completely fine.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I like dash on archers

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Dash is nice as an archer, yeah. Blink arrow doesn't share a cooldown and isn't really used for the same things, so it's handy to have both. If you have the int for it Flame Dash is almost always better I think since you don't need cast speed for it anymore, but it's nice to have a Dex option. If you have attack speed and a weapon for it then Leap Slam or Shield Charge is probably better.

e: With Enhance it's a 1.13s cooldown too and I don't have it at level 20, so expect it to go a little faster than that.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Is there any way to get a rough estimate on how much certain gear should cost? Just hit level 60 with my Cyclone build, which means I am finally in the market for one of those Starkonja's Heads, but I have no idea how much a linked 4-socket one should be going for. The console trade board is awful and like 90% of the listings have no price at all while most of the others have absolutely absurd asking prices like 10 exalted orbs and poo poo.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

It's not that rare, throw a few chaos at a well rolled one if there's no buyout.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Console though

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Is there any way to get a rough estimate on how much certain gear should cost? Just hit level 60 with my Cyclone build, which means I am finally in the market for one of those Starkonja's Heads, but I have no idea how much a linked 4-socket one should be going for. The console trade board is awful and like 90% of the listings have no price at all while most of the others have absolutely absurd asking prices like 10 exalted orbs and poo poo.

Most of us don't know much about the console market beyond "it's hosed"

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah I imagine there is almost no market for Xbox and PS4. I can't imagine playing PoE on console beyond the campaign, controller is just not accurate enough for how fast paced, and responsive you need to be to get through endgame.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I imagine there is almost no market for Xbox and PS4. I can't imagine playing PoE on console beyond the campaign, controller is just not accurate enough for how fast paced, and responsive you need to be to get through endgame.

Is it significantly worse than, say, D3? I wasn't sure how that would old up on console but I actually ended up preferring it, but I dunno how much more twitchy stuff this game is gonna have when I get to the content that is actually difficult.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Linking and socketing it yourself is basically free anyways (~5 fusings and 10 jewelers at the crafting bench, or probably less if you just spam currency manually).
On PC a linked 4-socket one would go for about the same price as a 1-socket one, which is about 1 chaos orb. It's not an uncommon item.

That said it's certainly not a build-defining unique and you could do just as well wearing a rando rare helmet with good life and resists.
Starkonja's is a generic all-around-good kinda helmet so it's popular for labyrinth farmers to enchant it, meaning if a melee build really wants a specific enchant it'll often be wearing a Stark just because that's the easiest item to find with the enchant already on it. If you're following a build guide, it was probably wearing Starkonja's mainly because of an enchant (otherwise a good rare would be better). But as far as I've heard, console trade is so hosed that it would be a huge pain in the rear end to find a helmet with a specific enchant on it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

No Safe Word posted:

If it was this one:

Then yeah I've been doing the same and it's pretty great. Clear speed is pretty weak but that's to be expected.

It's indeed that one. Thank you, TheShim!

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You find a specific enchant by putting your filter as the skill name and scrolling through every helmet available.

Slowly, because if you swap too many pages too quickly, you'll lock yourself out briefly.

As far as controls on console go, any build that requires you to aim where monsters are going to be is bad. Looking at you, Toxic Rain.

Anything that doesn't require precise aiming is fine. The one labyrinth puzzle where you have to walk on the different tiles can be a bitch.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is it significantly worse than, say, D3? I wasn't sure how that would old up on console but I actually ended up preferring it, but I dunno how much more twitchy stuff this game is gonna have when I get to the content that is actually difficult.

I wouldn't say significant, but it just doesn't compare to Diablo 3 on console, but D3 is also a much simpler game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I can't decide on my last ascendency for facbreaker cyclone champ. I have impale, banner, and the first fortify. Seems my options are: 6% DR- 2% regen- bit of armor; intimidate (except for legions)-adrenaline on low life-damage and armor; replace fortify-attack damage and armor. I was looking at a goon tree that took the taunt for the defenses which seems like the best option?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I would probably take Conqueror. Intimidate is eh given that you have so many other sources of targets taking increased damage and 6% flat damage reduction is really good.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Intimidate is also available on Tombfists pretty easily if you want to go that route. I agree with taking Taunt as just a defensive node, it's a decent option.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

RPZip posted:

Intimidate is also available on Tombfists pretty easily if you want to go that route. I agree with taking Taunt as just a defensive node, it's a decent option.

If you can figure out a way to wear tombfists and facebreakers at the same time please tell me :v:

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

StashAugustine posted:

If you can figure out a way to wear tombfists and facebreakers at the same time please tell me :v:

I'm just gonna stop posting in this thread right when I wake up, it really isn't helping anyone. :shepicide:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

2 hands = 2 different gloves, duh

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Vasudus posted:

I would probably take Conqueror. Intimidate is eh given that you have so many other sources of targets taking increased damage and 6% flat damage reduction is really good.

This reminds me of a related question. Do all sources of, say, More Damage stack additively with each other then finally multiply with the Increased part of the formula, or is each More source an independent multiplier?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

The latter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Good lord. I assumed each point of More damage was worth less and less as you went, like Increased is.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
More is generally rarer because of that fact.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

whypick1 posted:

2 hands = 2 different gloves, duh

post/username

Ciaphas posted:

This reminds me of a related question. Do all sources of, say, More Damage stack additively with each other then finally multiply with the Increased part of the formula, or is each More source an independent multiplier?

yeah theres a sort of middle ground for stuff like penetration or "takes increased damage" that's additive together but acts as a more multiplier but if it just says "more" then it's a straight multiplier

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's still one of my build goals to make some sort of ultimate resistance caster that lowers/penetrates resistances just to an absolutely hilarious level. Would have to probably be an Occultist that does something with cold damage or perhaps lightning converted to cold.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

StashAugustine posted:

Use scroll 33 or 35 and 2 elixirs to transform them to belt/boots

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jusupov posted:

lmao

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jusupov posted:

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

RPZip posted:

I'm just gonna stop posting in this thread right when I wake up, it really isn't helping anyone. :shepicide:

3.8 patch: left glove, right glove. Two slots in each, but can also be linked between the two of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Jusupov posted:

Damnit I miss goonrealm D2ES