Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Isn't that what Lumineon's rear end is based on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

hopeandjoy posted:

I literally forgot Quilfish for a couple years as a kid and Standler as a teenager.

Qwilfish was one of my favorites in Gen 2 as a kid. I was all "Poison puffer fish! Awesome!" followed by "I wonder what it will evolve to!" because this was before the days of guides everywhere.

I took that sucker all the way through the Elite 4.

So yeah I'm the exception when it comes to the Qwil.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Alkydere posted:

Qwilfish was one of my favorites in Gen 2 as a kid. I was all "Poison puffer fish! Awesome!" followed by "I wonder what it will evolve to!" because this was before the days of guides everywhere.

I took that sucker all the way through the Elite 4.

So yeah I'm the exception when it comes to the Qwil.

Wait, quilfish is actually a poison type? I thought it mysteriously wasn't for some reason

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Finneon and Lumineon get a lifetime pass from me for having two of the best cry's in the series.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Midly disappointed the german alolan Sandshrew I evolved didn't keep its name in german. It still keeps the language tag though.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Wait, quilfish is actually a poison type? I thought it mysteriously wasn't for some reason

Yup. It's water-poison.

Also has reasonable stats according to Serebii for how early you can get it in Heart/Gold. I mean nothing to write home about but it's a non-evolving 'mon so it has to have at least a tiny bit of oomph. And poison point is never a bad ability (shame abilities weren't a thing until Gen 3 though :v: )

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/1154619399220998144?s=20

Out with the old, in with the new I guess.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

WTF! There's still a community playing and they have been taking monthly subscriptions to keep the game running for the past five months. Monthly updates have been going in non-stop and there seemed to be a plan to keep supporting the game. This can't be real. gently caress everything about this. I love this dumb game and didn't want to see it gone.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

WTF! There's still a community playing and they have been taking monthly subscriptions to keep the game running for the past five months. Monthly updates have been going in non-stop and there seemed to be a plan to keep supporting the game. This can't be real. gently caress everything about this. I love this dumb game and didn't want to see it gone.

Does it still have tremendous power creep issues, like with the Reuniclus and Deoxys metas?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

If people can revive the Gen IV wireless, I'm sure they can keep Duel going unofficially too

anything to keep from having to play new games

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/pokemon/status/1154818890167250944?s=21

Meltan is pretty cute

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pokemon Center Theme (Pokemon Masters)

I'm just here to heal my pokemon, chill out, mobile game

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I loved the Pokemon Center theme in Sun and Moon, it was super chill.
Also, Ah ah Skull, get down dubba dubba dubba dubba gently caress.

YEAAAH...!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

qnqnx posted:

Does it still have tremendous power creep issues, like with the Reuniclus and Deoxys metas?

I joined the game after that particular chapter got balanced out, though I heard that was one of its worst moments. There was also one time where a combination of Celebi and the aliens (Beheeyem and Elgyem) was so broken (created an infinite cycle of rotating excluded figured) that it dominated for a while until that was nerfed like a week or two later. After that, it's just been some meta figures that are more useful than others like Dawn Wings Necrozma, Arceus, Celebi, Mawile, Celeestela and, more recently, Manectric+Thundurus and Sharpedo+Kartana. Considering the updated that buffed Garchomp to the big leagues just happened at the same time as they announced the end of the game, I have no idea how powerful he is, but I imagine it would work great with some good support -- I was planning to make a dragon deck myself where multiple Altarias power up every dragon on your side. I still have two months, so better make use of them to say goodbye to a game I legit loved/hated with burning passion.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pentaro posted:

I loved the Pokemon Center theme in Sun and Moon, it was super chill.
Also, Ah ah Skull, get down dubba dubba dubba dubba gently caress.

YEAAAH...!

I wish to be buried while Guzma's theme plays

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Who here was lucky enough to get a Landorus with HA Sheer Force and how do you not let that power go to your head after stacking the smoldering bodies in the corner after your reign of terror ends? :allears:

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

There's an animator who loves drawing Rowlet and I support them.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I haven't watched the Pokemon anime since I was a kid but man every clip I see of the Gen 7 series looks gorgeous in terms of art and animation.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pakled posted:

I haven't watched the Pokemon anime since I was a kid but man every clip I see of the Gen 7 series looks gorgeous in terms of art and animation.

Sun Moon is a legit good goofy fun times anime.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Vinylshadow posted:

If people can revive the Gen IV wireless, I'm sure they can keep Duel going unofficially too

anything to keep from having to play new games

Given that it's based off of a failed table top game it's probably really easy to replicate in TTS or Roll20, or even in real life.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
I have complicated feelings about the Nimbasa City subway plotline. My first thought is that the first part feels more like a Lupin III storyline than a Pokemon storyline; I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Team Rocket's plan created a better sense of tension than their plans usually do, although Dogasu has a point about a lot of it being needlessly convoluted when you think about it (for example, Meowth spent several episodes getting everyone to trust him just to get access to the Pokemon Center's vault, when he normally achieves similar results by just disguising himself as a Sunflora or something), and Team Rocket makes a big mistake in not securing the Pokemon they kidnapped better. The real problem, though, is this: https://twitter.com/joseinextdoor/status/1121226913975029761

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Status quo is God after all. But yeah there's a reason why this was never attempted again. It could only be done convincingly once. Not that they even need to any longer since Meowth, and the rest Team Rocket, have comedic moments, which they were deprived of doing when they were written to be super serious in Best Wishes.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I forget, does super serious Team Rocket stick around for the entirety of Best Wishes or do they go back to normal eventually?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Larryb posted:

I forget, does super serious Team Rocket stick around for the entirety of Best Wishes or do they go back to normal eventually?

It's a little strange. There's an arc roughly two thirds into Best Wishes, where it seems like they're defeated for good (including Giovanni) but they later return and sort of act like earlier characterization, but not completely. That only happens when Best Wishes ends completely and both Ash and the Team Rocket Trio start with a clean slate.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye
I'd go a bit earlier than that and say they go back to normal during the Decolore Island arc, the arc which itself seemed like the writers threw poo poo at the wall to figure out how they did episodes that followed the old status quo, up to and including doing the caterpie plotline again (complete with a flashback to ash raising his butterfree so it's not treated like it never happened).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Meltan would be an A+ design if it weren't for the stupid red tail. As is it's a lowly A-

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Waterfall of Salt posted:

I'd go a bit earlier than that and say they go back to normal during the Decolore Island arc, the arc which itself seemed like the writers threw poo poo at the wall to figure out how they did episodes that followed the old status quo, up to and including doing the caterpie plotline again (complete with a flashback to ash raising his butterfree so it's not treated like it never happened).

Or the episode about remembering how dope charizard is, so dope, gently caress this bird ash has, send him away we want cahrizard yeah

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Didn't know one of the main Pokemon translators on older games was a goon.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Or the episode about remembering how dope charizard is, so dope, gently caress this bird ash has, send him away we want cahrizard yeah

To be fair if I'm reading the post right, the bird he had at that point would be Unfezant so yeah gently caress that bird.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Last time I checked in on the series, people seemed quite happy with B&W2. How's the 3DS era been, with Sword and Shield just around the corner? (I'm aware there's been some grumbling about the Switch games).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this made me imagine Pokémon trainers/fans from Boston and I don't like it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Last time I checked in on the series, people seemed quite happy with B&W2. How's the 3DS era been, with Sword and Shield just around the corner? (I'm aware there's been some grumbling about the Switch games).

gen 6 - X/Y and OR/AS - is pretty well received, although people tend to strongly prefer one or the other of the new games vs the remakes. both have a lot of neat new stuff (including the transition to 3D graphics).

gen 7 imo is the class of the series so far. from the setting to new mon designs to gameplay to QoL improvements, Sun/Moon and Ultra Sun/Moon are phenomenal, and although some of the more graphic intensive bits can make the 3DS run slower, they look absolutely beautiful. I'd say grab one of the Ultra versions if you wanted to hop back in, they get you to the story a lot quicker than the original versions and have more/better post game content

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Rinkles posted:

XY were okay games that were held back by being a transitional generation with most of Game Freak's resources going towards making the 3D models for the game. There's a lot of stuff in the game that was obviously meant to be expanded on with a Z version, but that was (most likely) canceled. Still, they're solid games, pretty mid-range for the series as a whole.

Alpha/Omega were really strong remakes. They're generally well liked and the DexNav feature is the best 'we're only using this for one game and then dropping it' feature the series has ever had. Post-game is pretty meaty and overall they're very good titles.

Sun/Moon are both great. They're a nice change of pace from the usual formula, all of the new Pokemon are extremely strong, and the story is the best it's ever been in the series. Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon are also great. They have a weaker story but plenty of new features to make up for it.

Overall the 3DS era has been really good and personally I don't have too many complaints with it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks. Mind giving more specifics about what made S&M great? If I'm not mistaken it's when they got rid of the grid, but I never minded it.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rinkles posted:

Didn't know one of the main Pokemon translators on older games was a goon.

Yeah. There’s a few SA references in some of the older games. Only ones I can remember off hand is “My Pokémon is fight!” and “Slowtax” being one of the choices when asked to guess Slowpoke’s evolution.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

indigi posted:

gimme some of dat shelldah chowdah

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

indigi posted:

I wonder if the region north of Unova is called New Galar.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
"Enter Elesa" was good up until Ash challenged Bianca's dad to a Pokemon battle. I don't understand what either Ash or Bianca's dad was thinking there at all; Ash was coming around to Bianca's dad's point of view, anime!Bianca is a selfish jerk that Ash has no reason to feel loyalty to, and whether Ash can beat Bianca's dad has no bearing on Bianca's dad's arguments. Ash tries to justify it by saying that Bianca is a friend because "we've met up a bunch of times and she enters tournaments with us," but by that logic, so are Trip, Georgia, and James. OK, Ash would fight James's parents if they tried to drag him back home because he knows James's parents are nuts, heh.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1155289982141108225
https://twitter.com/pokejungle/status/1155290574271983617

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of Elesa, man was Ash dumb when he fought her. Black and White in general portrays him as less intelligent than his Sinnoh self, but still normally smarter than that. Good thing Pikachu bailed him out.