Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

EvilMerlin posted:

Well at least its official that the US will be building new ICBM's. Its only been 50 years since we developed an operational ICBM (since the Peacekeeper is long gone and the Midgetman never entered service)...

MK VI life extension was a, uh, very complete evaluation and update of the entire Trident system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Xenoborg posted:

Its unfair because they can do it cheaper!

I'm more offended by the fact that the media continues to treat Loren Thompson as a serious person and still calls him up for quotes.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
He’s a well to do CEO; his input must be worthwhile!

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

mlmp08 posted:

He’s a well to do CEO; his input must be worthwhile!

Good attempt at strawmanning me, but as a matter of fact he's just a PR hack for the defense industry. I suppose technically he is CEO of his own small business, namely, his lobbying firm.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

EvilMerlin posted:

Even if Boeing is being a whiny machine again...

While true, the 737 Max 8 has been an unmitigated fiasco, I think remarketing them as ICBMs is still a bit extreme at this point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I didn't think they'd have a flight-ready prototype slapped together so fast.
aka what happens when you don't shoot for the moon

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 26, 2019

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma

Mortabis posted:

Good attempt at strawmanning me, but as a matter of fact he's just a PR hack for the defense industry. I suppose technically he is CEO of his own small business, namely, his lobbying firm.

Mlmp is clearly agreeing with you

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
When has that ever stopped goons from feeling attacked?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SerthVarnee posted:

When has that ever stopped goons from feeling attacked?

GODDAMN YOU, AIRSHIPS ARE GREAT

:storms out:

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3889/the-alarming-case-of-the-usafs-mysteriously-missing-unmanned-combat-air-vehicles

This is from a few years ago, but I just caught it now. It's pretty fascinating.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

While true, the 737 Max 8 has been an unmitigated fiasco, I think remarketing them as ICBMs is still a bit extreme at this point.

Yeah, they're intermediate range at best.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

INTJ Mastermind posted:

beaten :argh:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Anything Tyler Rogway writes has a passing relationship with reality at best. That article is 40% bullshit and 60% speculation, and includes an armedforcesupdate YouTube embed for christ's sake. Seriously, find me one proposition from that article that can be falsified without access to classified material.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Murgos posted:

MK VI life extension was a, uh, very complete evaluation and update of the entire Trident system.

Not talking about SLBM's here, just land based systems.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mortabis posted:

Looked through that white paper and one of the things they mentioned is the new Type 15 light tank which seems kind of like our MPF program. The obvious application to my untrained eye would be either the border with India or Taiwan, and indeed there's a picture floating around of the thing in the PLAN's derp aquaflage pattern.

Somehow emphasizing a vehicle like that comes off as more threatening to me than if they'd been boosting a new MBT, because of its application for overseas adventures.

Sidenote: if there were a clearer sign that the PLA is cargo culting the US military than them copying the Navy's dumbest uniform ever, I can't think of one.

Well, now that you've pointed it out, I realize this camo pattern makes no sense

Except as some sort of dress rehearsal for submarine tanks

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Well, now that you've pointed it out, I realize this camo pattern makes no sense

Except as some sort of dress rehearsal for submarine tanks

It looks cool. That's all the reason needed.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

We shall fight them on the beaches, we shall fight them on the atolls and on the reefs...

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

NightGyr posted:

This is from a few years ago, but I just caught it now. It's pretty fascinating.
It would be if he wasn’t totally ignoring two utterly mundane and obvious reasons for the Air Force to drop UCAV programs. First, like the Navy, they could have realized that the technology was not mature enough to work in a contested EW or space environment and shelved the whole business for later. Second, these decisions were made in the mid-2000s, when F-22 and everything up to and including force end strength was getting slashed to salvage F-35 and bomb more dirt. Those aren’t exclusive of one another, and both explain why we didn’t see a ton of UCAVs appear over the last decade.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

It looks cool. That's all the reason needed.

Just wait until the Chinese unveil that they are painting all of their cities and streets blue and we're all going to look dumb for thinking its an aesthetic choice.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ice Fist posted:

Just wait until the Chinese unveil that they are painting all of their cities and streets blue and we're all going to look dumb for thinking its an aesthetic choice.

Dazzle camo, but for every square inch of the country. Checkmate, 老外。

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
It’s important to remember that for years, the US Navy wore dark blue uniforms and the US Air Force wore light blue uniforms because of the ocean and the sky, respectively. And the air force added tiger stripes to their sky uniforms because Vietnam.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Ice Fist posted:

Well the camo colors work pretty good in dim urban lighting and heavy choppy seas. Two places were sailors shouldn’t end up. If anything I suppose the uniforms should have been the same color as the ships, gun metal grey.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

mlmp08 posted:

the US Air Force wore light blue uniforms because of the ocean and the sky, respectively. And the air force added tiger stripes to their sky uniforms because Vietnam.

it blended in pretty well with the flight line

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tythas posted:

it blended in pretty well with the flight line

Oil spots: the uniform

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Well aint this some poo poo https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...m=.7d9a68b18bf8

quote:

The commander of a U.S. Special Operations task force in Iraq has sent home a platoon of Navy SEALs for drinking while deployed after an alleged sexual assault by one of them, U.S. defense officials said, the latest discipline incident that has emerged for an elite force relied upon heavily by the Pentagon.

It might be time for an investigation on the whole seal program

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nebakenezzer posted:

The USN's phasing-out blue camo makes even less.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

The USN's phasing-out blue camo makes even less.

I’m making a quilt out of most of mine. Already turned one into a vest. Booty shorts are next.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That reminds me of a fashion trend in 1800s NYC. Teens would beat up cops, steal the cop coats, and give them to their girlfriends. The girlfriends would turn the coats into stylish jackets.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 27, 2019

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The Navy should just go back to denim pants and chambray shirts.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Latest episode in the chillout series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCsoRmahWpI

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SimonCat posted:

The Navy should just go back to denim pants and chambray shirts.

gently caress yeah!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
The Navy and to a lesser extent the Air Force really ought to adopt high visibility work uniforms. Much like what the Army did in the 2000s.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

The Navy and to a lesser extent the Air Force really ought to adopt high visibility work uniforms. Much like what the Army did in the 2000s.

Make the summer dress uniform the work uniform! Put on the onus on the sailor to keep them spotless. Jack up the price double.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

LingcodKilla posted:

Make the summer dress uniform the work uniform! Put on the onus on the sailor to keep them spotless. Jack up the price double.

Give the uniform contract to your best buddy with a business, give your other buddy first preference on sites for laundrettes near bases!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

LingcodKilla posted:

gently caress yeah!

I mean, the Army is going to a throw-back uniform.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Nobody picked up on my ACU joke :(

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

I giggled.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

A.o.D. posted:

There was a lovely couch behind it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

What are you complaining for soldier/sailor/marine/airman? Don't you get a uniform allowance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flikken posted:

There was a lovely couch behind it.