Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You actually didn't really get spoiled on much food properties are determined by the adjective, any five hearty foods will have a similar effect. It's really a pretty shallow system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I’m beginning to see that. When I first started it seemed huge with the variety of ingredients. I guess I could have shortened that long rear end post to “I wish BotW had a deeper cooking system.”

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Having to search for rupees to buy basic poo poo in Ocarina of Time is like having Mario 64 start in front of the castle and force you to walk towards it without jumping while explaining the camera controls. It works, and teaches you well, but isn't particularly exciting. Ocarina of Time's intro sequence is good, especially for immediately creating Link as a character in this world, but fast paced or speedy it is not

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

aardwolf posted:

Just a heads up: there's a mod called Dungeon Be Gone that lets you skip it.

Too bad there's not a mod to make me give a poo poo about Imoen

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
There is, it's called Imoen Be Gone.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

SiKboy posted:

At least Fallout 3 (and New Vegas) had the decency to have a hard save point at the end of their intro which let you remake your entire character. So you never needed to replay it again. Just load your end of tutorial level save, set your skills and abilities and whatnot for your new characters, dive straight into the start of the game proper.

Instead of making the bad part skippable, Bethesda should try not having the bad part.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
they hired liam neeson for some voice acting, you better believe they're gonna use him.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

spit on my clit posted:

they hired liam neeson for some voice acting, you better believe they're gonna use him.

Bethesda have basically mastered putting all their garbage cinematic content up front to make previews look good.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Instead of making the bad part skippable, Bethesda should try not having the bad part.

Unlike Black Isle who made it massively worse and unskippable

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Black Isle have been out of business for 15 years?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Bethesda have basically mastered putting all their garbage cinematic content up front to make previews look good.

And yet their previews would be better received if they were instead from one of the middle bits where you're just wandering around looking at caves.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Barudak posted:

Unlike Black Isle who made it massively worse and unskippable

If I time travel back to 2000 or whenever I'll let them know.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've been trying out the autochess/dota/tft games. Why can't combat just autoresolve? There's no reason to bother watching the things because you can't affect them in any way

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

I've been trying out the autochess/dota/tft games. Why can't combat just autoresolve? There's no reason to bother watching the things because you can't affect them in any way

Because the visual part is the entire point of the game...? It'd be like TDs auto-resolving just because the outcome is already pre-determined. :raise:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think it also helps you figure out why you lost. Like if one of your main guys gets ganked by an assassin then you can try and work around that as opposed to you just seeing if you win or lose.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Also, at least in Dota Underlords (can't speak for any of the others) there's crit chances and other random elements thrown in, so they have to let it play out because those can drastically alter the battle. Throw Phantom Assassin into your team and watch your team performance vary wildly, because she's all about crits.

Plus, watching it is actually massively important to your performance, since you get to see how your team performs, what their strengths and weaknesses are. If you're somehow skipping or ignoring the fights completely, you are probably going to lose really hard because you're shutting yourself off from the feedback needed to realign your squad.

EDIT: Beaten on that last part, but given how important it is to the structure of the game it bears repeating.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

In the case of TFT you’ve got characters that will jump to the backline and Blitzcrank, who will pull a backliner towards him. So it becomes important to see what the weakpoints in your positioning are, especially when half the players have already been knocked out.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

MiddleOne posted:

Because the visual part is the entire point of the game...? It'd be like TDs auto-resolving just because the outcome is already pre-determined. :raise:

I've been looking away and playing cell phone games because watching things resolve is boring :shrug:

I've only played a handful of games but I came in 3rd and 2nd my first and second games respectively. I don't know what any hero does or what items do so I've just been slamming things that look neat and hoping for the best

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

I've been looking away and playing cell phone games because watching things resolve is boring :shrug:

I've only played a handful of games but I came in 3rd and 2nd my first and second games respectively. I don't know what any hero does or what items do so I've just been slamming things that look neat and hoping for the best

hmm, can't imagine why you're finding it boring

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Brother Entropy posted:

hmm, can't imagine why you're finding it boring

The actual drafting and placement is fun but watching stuff resolve is just particle effects and yelling at my polar bear for literally standing still and not moving

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Len posted:

The actual drafting and placement is fun but watching stuff resolve is just particle effects and yelling at my polar bear for literally standing still and not moving

That's all games, ever. In the end you're just sitting still watching a bunch of tiny lights shine colours into your eyes while speakers boom soundwaves at you. Auto-chess is one the most refined slot machine formats around. Nothing more, nothing less.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Ah...

The Child of Bhaal has awoken.

You're right behind me, right?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ocarina’s intro is fine. The 3D Zeldas have never been fast paced dungeon grinders like LoZ and ALttP. It takes the environment, exploration and NPCs more seriously, and presents all that content as relatively equal to the dungeons.

Besides, it “only” takes half an hour for a casual player to get to Inside the Deku Tree. Then the gap leading up to Dodongo Cavern can be measured in multiple hours with several plot points and other non-combat-heavy gameplay sections. Don’t compare the 3D Zeldas to the 2D ones.

Plus, the 2D Zeldas following Ocarina that tried to copy the formula of “fewer dungeons, more filler” and it just doesn’t work well. A Link Between Worlds was practically revolutionary for having almost as many dungeons as the game it so actively cribbed from.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:44 on Jul 27, 2019

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

MiddleOne posted:

Not if you're bored by it and feels it takes time, which is the problem food court was describing. At no point beyond getting waved at by your neighbor does the game guide you towards talking to people. If you run around and explore you get shiny rupees with reward sounds, if you talk you get nothing. The shopkeeper is the only NPC that rewards you for talking and the NPCs that you actually need to talk to all block your way.

The game guides you towards talking to people by making you talk to Saria right outside your house and talking to Mido to get past him, even if you did somehow figure out all on your own that the goal was to grind out 40 rupees to get a shield. Also the game makes you talk to the girl on the roof of the shop and actively pulls your attention towards her when you get near her. You're talking out your rear end, dude.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Even literal children managed to get through Ocarina of Time without trouble.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm a total sucker for Far Cry 4's Valley of the Yetis DLC. Survival-lite mechanics (basically you're just stripped of all gear and skills and need to reacquire them over the course of the DLC, but it's a good starting point), a brand new, more untamed mountain wilds map to explore (exploration is rewarded by stumbling across weapons to add to your arsenal or chests with the otherwise region-inappropriate animal skins you need to re-craft all your capacity upgrades), and finally a base upgrading mechanic. The core conceit is that you're stranded in the mountains and have taken over a relay station and need to survive the nights where crazed attackers swarm in to try and kill you, hence being able to invest in various defensive structures, extra supply stations, etc. A number of the upgrades are actually locked behind little side missions scattered across the map, and they feel relatively natural - go steal supply trucks from the enemy and drive them back to base or go mountaineering to find lost weapon emplacements to harvest for your own defenses.

The thing dragging it down is that all of this is contained within a short DLC instead of a full game or at least a standalone expansion ala Blood Dragon. Every mission has to give absurdly inflated XP rewards to make sure you can fill out the entire skill tree over again. Similarly, you get endless amounts of money to buy up the remaining base upgrades because there's actually only like 8 or so side missions total. Every chest with animal skins gives half a dozen of them, and they often give a random smattering because they can't assume you'll find every single one. Hunting for new weapons is probably the best part, but the actual selection is more limited than the base game and some of them are just obnoxious to actually reach, regularly at the peaks of mountains requiring very specific yet obscure climbing routes. In fairness, they seem to have kinda mostly balanced this by making the harder to reach weapons the more valuable ones (and often for your trouble you'll find an ammo refill crate too) but at this point I'm probably done hunting the rest down because it's hard to justify worrying about them when my loadout is about where I want it with no real room for improvement.

There's also a few other small annoyances, like how there are now often 2-3 full wolf packs running around certain areas to annoy the hell out of you. Or how they thankfully tweaked the skill trees to null the two skills you literally cannot make use of but then left the rest of the trees untouched, including the point sink skills that let you buff the duration of specific syringes by 5 seconds 10 times. Also, in the main game the usefulness of most if not all of the skills is pretty obvious because you know the game is going to throw you into situations where you might conceivably have need of them. In a small side DLC though? Much harder to gauge. So sure you can pretty much unlock a new skill or two after every mission, but a number of them are things I'm not sure I'm actually ever going to use but need to unlock anyway to get access to the things I'm much more sure I will use.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I didn't realize Wolfenstein Youngblood was a full online co-op experience when I picked it up, you can play through the campaign with the computer controlling the second character, but it's annoying as anything that it stays in unpausable co-op mode even when you're fully offline. I just want to stop to look something up, dammit!

Also for the full dickish co-op experience, it's fun when it occasionally bugs out after you take critical damage, and your NPC partner just stands there ignoring you while you crawl towards them begging for a revive before you bleed out on your last life :argh:

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
games with long cut scenes would be 1000% improved if they had a toggle for playback speed so you could watch them at 1.25x or 1.5x or 2x speed when they're not there to cover a loading screen or something

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Finally got round to playing Shadow of Mordor. I made my usual mistake by completing too many side missions too early and getting slowly crippled by lack of unlocked skills and tonnes of spare skill points, but I've finally caught up with myself and Talion is starting to feel appropriately death avatarish without being overpowered (I'm still getting my rear end handed to me regularly by caragors and poison bosses).

The early game felt like an endless slog of cutting through trash mobs with a useless single-button mashing combo, but I've just picked up the lethal teleport trick and the exploding head move; I'm now having an entire hoot diving off towers into the middle of unsuspecting mobs to brutalise some poor git and terrify the rest away to be mopped up at leisure. Great fun and now I've worked out how to chain hits the combat feels satisfyingly brutal.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Captain Hygiene posted:

I didn't realize Wolfenstein Youngblood was a full online co-op experience when I picked it up, you can play through the campaign with the computer controlling the second character, but it's annoying as anything that it stays in unpausable co-op mode even when you're fully offline. I just want to stop to look something up, dammit!

Also for the full dickish co-op experience, it's fun when it occasionally bugs out after you take critical damage, and your NPC partner just stands there ignoring you while you crawl towards them begging for a revive before you bleed out on your last life :argh:

oh boy i cant wait for doom e2nal where its online only (even if you just have the lovely npc buddy) and instead of being a good fps like doom its one of those borderlands styled fps rpgs where enemies have levels and all that means is you do less damage and they do more if you're one level below the hell knight, despite having the same weapons that could effortlessly mow down hordes of zombies in the games that didn't suck rear end. i wonder what they'll call the cash shop money, Youngblood has nazi gold which you buy with cash, something about that seeming pretty off to me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

spit on my clit posted:

nazi gold which you buy with cash

Ugh, that's kind of a ...questionable... choice, now that you mention it. Weirdly off-putting for something that's otherwise still basically gently caress Nazis Up Simulator 2019.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Been playing Dungeons 3, which plays like Dungeon Keeper awkwardly welded to Warcraft 3. You build a subterranean dungeon base and manage a small horde of evil creatures a la DK then deploy them to the surface to conquer the map in a WC3 style RTS. Both parts are incredibly derivative, down to shamelessly stealing the Blizzard art style. It sort of works, but there's two glaring problems:

The interface of one game type to another is poorly done. Dungeon Keeper and Warcraft 3 have significant differences in their control schemes, and each is used exclusively in their respective gameplay sections. For instance, you can box select multiple units in WC3 mode and right click them to move them, but when you're underground in DK mode you have no direct control over your units aside from picking them up individually with your giant satan hand and dropping them off somewhere.

The other part dragging it down is that the humor is atrociously bad. Like, years old references to internet memes bad. A character says "Her power is over 9000!!!" 10 minutes into a game released in 2017, and it really doesn't get any better from there.

This game is bullshit and I can't believe how positive the steam reviews are.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Inco posted:

The game guides you towards talking to people by making you talk to Saria right outside your house and talking to Mido to get past him, even if you did somehow figure out all on your own that the goal was to grind out 40 rupees to get a shield. Also the game makes you talk to the girl on the roof of the shop and actively pulls your attention towards her when you get near her. You're talking out your rear end, dude.

Are you really going to pretend that getting the shield, the most interesting thing in the shop, is some kind of grand mystery. :allears:

Like, really:

Even literal children managed to get through Ocarina of Time without trouble.

EDIT: Also grind? GRIND? The game virtually drown you in rupees for every activity in the opening area. And they do that because it naturally directs your interest to the shop where you can spend them to get stuff. You know the very stuff needed to progress. If you just run around randomly doing whatever you'll get 40 and that's intentional design. Because Nintendo knew that their primary audience was literal children.

MiddleOne has a new favorite as of 07:14 on Jul 28, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

John Murdoch posted:

Hunting for new weapons is probably the best part, but the actual selection is more limited than the base game and some of them are just obnoxious to actually reach, regularly at the peaks of mountains requiring very specific yet obscure climbing routes. In fairness, they seem to have kinda mostly balanced this by making the harder to reach weapons the more valuable ones (and often for your trouble you'll find an ammo refill crate too) but at this point I'm probably done hunting the rest down because it's hard to justify worrying about them when my loadout is about where I want it with no real room for improvement.

Correction to this. It turns out at certain points the story missions unlock yet more weapons into the shop (and a few extra base defense, for some reason), fixing some of the problem. But this actually turned out to be a bad thing because that includes the semi-auto .50 cal sniper rifle that accepts a silencer I used to break the last string of outposts in the main game in half (kills heavies with a single headshot, anything else in one shot no matter what and can even penetrate) and I also happened to find the Buzzsaw, which is a handheld MG42 with near-perfect accuracy, almost zero recoil, practically an endless supply of ammo, and not quite but basically max damage (for comparison's sake, it takes 3 whole bullets from it to kill a bear) on top of it being a loving MG42. Oh, and it has a scope of course.

The game tries to make the yetis threatening and uses them as equal parts open world chaos-causers and endgame challenges but uh, didn't quite work out that way because of those weapons. Plus they're weak to explosives in a game where you can have a grenade launcher as a sidearm.... The actual story missions were also pretty forgettable. Usually too small or too forgiving, probably because the open structure of the game makes it impossible to cleanly balance encounters when one player may have managed to find a bow and a lovely pistol and another is bringing a whole arsenal in.

The defense sections still managed to be decently cool if only because each night has a different atmospheric effect applied, so one night the forest is on fire as they come for you, another has a lightning storm zapping the area around you, etc. But between having all of the defenses unlocked and the OP weapons they again didn't have quit the impact they should've. Also one of the things you can buy, caged bears to spring on attackers, were super buggy and often didn't do anything. Lame.

And now I'm done posting about Far Cry 4. :toot:

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Riatsala posted:

This game is bullshit and I can't believe how positive the steam reviews are.

There's a lot of annoyances to the game, to be sure, but if you aren't grinning at the guy from the Stanley Parable speaking outdated memes like they are fresh and cool, there's something wrong on your end.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kennel posted:

Okami is one of the biggest offenders. It's about 40 minutes of clicking through text boxes (no voice acting) with few short walks, drawing tutorials and couple of super easy fights before you get any meaningful gameplay.

You're seriously underselling how lovely it is. Instead of voice acting it has Issun narrating in a high pitched Banjo-Kazooie-esque burble. The first 30 minutes or so has no player interaction whatsoever EXCEPT you're required to click through all the text bubbles. It's not like some lovely intros where you're walking around home base being introduced to the crew or whatever, it's just a 2D storybook cutscene with an artstyle that doesn't work, an incredibly grating voice babbling gibberish, and you have to press X every 15 seconds.

Definitely the closest I've ever come to giving up on a game during the intro. Game is good so I'm glad I didn't, but that poo poo was pretty dire.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

MisterBibs posted:

There's a lot of annoyances to the game, to be sure, but if you aren't grinning at the guy from the Stanley Parable speaking outdated memes like they are fresh and cool, there's something wrong on your end.

Wow, epic.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
The windy area in Celeste.

I love Matt Thorson's games. I beat all three Jumpers, loved Runman, Towerfall is probably the best couch MP game I've ever played. The windy level in Celeste can suck my dick though. Not only does it gently caress with the visuals a lot but it's got these cloud trampolines. You can superjump on these but the timing for that is really really strict (5-10 frames maybe?). Now that wouldn't be a problem but the later parts of the level introduce these pink clouds that disappear after one jump so you either time it right or die instantly. And then you get pink clouds in a huge sequence of really precise jumps with the wind constantly moving the character and blurring the whole screen.

I'm poo poo at it is what I'm saying I guess.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Bit late to the whole discussion but Ocarina of Time, while not part of the very first generation of 3D games, was still the first 3D Zelda and people didn't know what the gently caress to expect and would have been perfectly happy just exploring the tutorial era playground for a while. Keep in mind as well that Nintendo to this day are notoriously fastidious about making sure Everyone Gets It, a lengthy tutorial two years after the system comes out is by no means out of character for them. Today we know the 3D space inside and out and yeah of course it feels slow now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Terminally Bored posted:

The windy area in Celeste.

I love Matt Thorson's games. I beat all three Jumpers, loved Runman, Towerfall is probably the best couch MP game I've ever played. The windy level in Celeste can suck my dick though. Not only does it gently caress with the visuals a lot but it's got these cloud trampolines. You can superjump on these but the timing for that is really really strict (5-10 frames maybe?). Now that wouldn't be a problem but the later parts of the level introduce these pink clouds that disappear after one jump so you either time it right or die instantly. And then you get pink clouds in a huge sequence of really precise jumps with the wind constantly moving the character and blurring the whole screen.

I'm poo poo at it is what I'm saying I guess.

No, everyone hates the windy level, its ok.