Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Fun fact while we're on radius chat. The other day while I was poking around Sweetwater I saw what was by far the highest fretboard radius I'd ever seen: 950mm on an Ibanez 9-string. That's 37.4".
I wonder if you can even see a curve that flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to change strings on my old acoustic after picking it back up a few months ago. Is there any sort of care/maintenance/wellness checks I should do to it while the strings are off?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

how long does it take for a new set of strings to break in and keep tuning?. just slapped a new set of 10s on after the 9s i had on for about a month and a half started to sound bad and out of tune despite my tuner saying everything was all good.

also starting to realize the guitar player i played bass with for 6 years that used to complain about his tone all the time should have probably changed the rusty rear end strings he would have on for like 8 months. this fresh set sounds great!

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

ASenileAnimal posted:

how long does it take for a new set of strings to break in and keep tuning?. just slapped a new set of 10s on after the 9s i had on for about a month and a half started to sound bad and out of tune despite my tuner saying everything was all good.

also starting to realize the guitar player i played bass with for 6 years that used to complain about his tone all the time should have probably changed the rusty rear end strings he would have on for like 8 months. this fresh set sounds great!

If your guitar is set up nicely and you stretch them out when you put them on they should keep tuning from day one. I change mine (and sometimes the other guitarist's) backstage at shows all the time and don't have problems. For stretching, just grab them in the centre of the string where there is most stretch and pull them up about two inches. Doesn't need to be effort, just enough to seat them around the post properly.

Regarding how often: this tour we've been changing every five or six shows because we've got a bunch spare and also some guy is buying our old strings to make jewelery - they aren't noticeably grody that quick because I wipe them down but they always feel better fresh. The Edge changes his every time a guitar is used, but I suppose he can afford the spare metalwork!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I got an Eastman E20d acoustic on loan and I’m seriously impressed. I’ve played some nice Taylor’s, Marin’s, Collings, etc and this thing is right up there with the best I’ve tried. It’s just a pleasure to play. I don’t really play much acoustic and I usually prefer classicaIs, but I may have to sell off some gear and scrounge up 500 bucks to hold onto this thing. Highly recommended checking out Eastman stuff if your in the market for a quality acoustic.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

OutOfPrint posted:

I'll give that a shot. Luckily, it was late enough at night that I didn't swap out the strings, so it's still on. It's weird that the winding popped but the core remained intact, though. I've been playing for 23 years now and never saw that happening.

I like the strings a lot prior to that, but have you ever tried Pyramid strings? They're expensive, but my God are they nice. They play well, sound great, and even their round wounds last forever.

pyramids are amazing, one of the only manufacturers that still makes flats for electric 12 string too. they pay for themselves in durability if you take good care of them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ASenileAnimal posted:

if it sounds bad but your tuner says the open strings are good, you probably need to adjust the intonation for the new string gauge. Get your tuner and see if each string gets progressively sharper or flatter as you go up the neck

If that's what's happening you just need to adjust the saddle and retune the string until the higher notes are also in tune - typically people adjust until the 12th fret note sounds like the 12th fret harmonic, but you can do open and 12th fret notes, or whatever - use yr tuner

if the notes get sharper as you go up, the string is too short - so the saddle needs to move away from the neck, adjusting the contact point on the string so the vibrating length is longer. And if the notes get flatter it's too long, so move the saddle towards the neck. Do it bit by bit and retune the string after each adjustment

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mick from TPS has a handy rule of thumb for fixing intonation: Fret flat, forward.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Huxley posted:

I'm about to change strings on my old acoustic after picking it back up a few months ago. Is there any sort of care/maintenance/wellness checks I should do to it while the strings are off?

Just generally sprucing it up is good (or cedaring it up, hehehehehe)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plU27QJBKn8&t=95s

dude's putting Turtle Wax on there so uh, I'm gonna say that's probably up to you and the finish on your guitar, but he covers the general stuff to do. Might wanna check the nut too, rub a pencil (or whatever product) in there to keep it from catching the string

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Siivola posted:

Mick from TPS has a handy rule of thumb for fixing intonation: Fret flat, forward.

Got a link/explanation for that? Sounds interesting.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Fret the string at the 12th fret. If the note's flat, move the saddle forward towards the neck.

Alliteration is a powerful memory aid.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
but then i also forget which direction to turn the screw to move the saddle lol

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Lefty loosey, righty tighty. You're tightening the spring as you move the saddle back.

And you determine "left" and "right" by the direction your thumb moves if you place it on top of the screwdriver and turn.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
when adjusting for intonation, i would always err on the side of flatness (longer scale length), because you can always bend it into tune while you play. there's no flattening a note that's already too sharp up the neck.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Siivola posted:

Fret the string at the 12th fret. If the note's flat, move the saddle forward towards the neck.

Alliteration is a powerful memory aid.

I just remember that the notes go up in pitch as you fret higher on the neck, shortening the vibrating part of the string - so if yr notes is too high the string is too short

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!
Guitar has been full of seemingly obvious things i never picked up on.

I’ve been playing for 18 years before having heard that jazz chord dont stack voicings, so octaves are not usually played in the chords now the Add9/Add11 stuff make more sense

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Robben Ford has been teaching me to love the add13 and flat9 chords for getting around. The fingerings aren't too friendly on the "add flat-9 or add a flat-5 on top" but goddamn he uses them so beautifully. Makes me feel like a terrible awful guitarist.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

thanks for the advice all. intonation was sharp on everything. it seems to be ok now after some adjusting and the strings are staying in tune despite the absolute garbage tuners on my guitar. it did seem like moving the saddles did absolutely nothing at times but im just going to chalk it up to my guitar being cheap as hell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It's a physics thing, if you move the saddle then you're changing the string length, nothing more to it! Maybe you just weren't doing big enough adjustments, sometimes you need to crank the screw a bit to make it move a significant distance

And if you're shortening the string by opening the screw, sometimes you have to push the saddle forward yourself if the springs don't do it, but you were going the other way so turning the screw should have pulled it in anyway

As far as tuning goes, rub a pencil in the nut slots - when you tune the strings, sometimes it catches in the nut a little, so you get a buildup of tension behind it. That means you can get the vibrating bit of the string up to the right tension so it's in tune, but eventually it slips through the nut and the tension levels out and now it's all off. The way I usually tune is turn the knob, give the string a few bends around the 2nd fret or wherever's comfortable, then check if it's in tune yet

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
When you're adjusting any of the saddles you should tune the string down before turning any screw, as the tension of the string may cause the saddle to not move. Which can break them.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oh yeah that's a good point, and if you were correcting sharp intonation that's exactly what you'd be doing

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

So, I am considering getting rid of my Loomis 7-string V, mainly because I have a hard time playing it comfortably sitting down. It's this model:
https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/jeff-loomis-jlv-7-nt-detail

What I love about it:
Bright, clear sound.
Huge frets.
Simplicity (volume only)
Maple fretboard (not sticky, unlike my Fender Tele)

What I don't love:
Shape
Scale a bit too much for my dainty hands

What should I replace it with? And what the heck should I ask for price wise? These aren't exactly popping up for sale on a regular basis. Have an enormous case for it as well.

Thinking something with huge frets and EMGs would be good, maybe with a maple fretboard (hard to tell how much it contributes to sound if any). 6 or 7 strings doesn't matter that much. A 25 or 25.5" scale version with a more traditional body shape would rock but not sure if there's anything like that in the Schecter lineup?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It looks like those average about $5-600 on Reverb. https://reverb.com/marketplace?query=jlv-7&show_only_sold=true&sort=price%7Casc

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Thinking something with huge frets and EMGs would be good, maybe with a maple fretboard (hard to tell how much it contributes to sound if any). 6 or 7 strings doesn't matter that much. A 25 or 25.5" scale version with a more traditional body shape would rock but not sure if there's anything like that in the Schecter lineup?

Short answer, yes. Off the top of my head check out their PTs and the Sun Valley Super Shredders.

Also look up their axes with "ultra thin c" necks. A boon for the smaller handed. If you want to try out ebony fretboards since they give similarish results to maple there's a bunch of options with more "traditional" EMGs I think.

As for sit down practice with Vs I just use a short strap when I do. Since I'm a dumbass with two Vs and nothing else electric.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

So a video linked in here a while back convinced me to try unplugging my pedals from the wall, and sure enough the majority of the mains hum is now gone from my tone. Having the batteries go dead unless I unplug all the input cables is annoying though. Any recommendations for a good, cheap power supply? First result that's not >$200 is this but i don't know if it's actually any good, is something that cheap gonna fry my electronics?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Fender Anarchist posted:

So a video linked in here a while back convinced me to try unplugging my pedals from the wall, and sure enough the majority of the mains hum is now gone from my tone. Having the batteries go dead unless I unplug all the input cables is annoying though. Any recommendations for a good, cheap power supply? First result that's not >$200 is this but i don't know if it's actually any good, is something that cheap gonna fry my electronics?

That's still going to be plugging into the wall, just with one hilariously large wall wart instead of a dozen smaller ones. If you genuinely want to be off AC power you could try this extremely cheap thing (it eats batteries like a motherfuck) or this presumably fine rechargable one.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Clayton Bigsby posted:

So, I am considering getting rid of my Loomis 7-string V, mainly because I have a hard time playing it comfortably sitting down. It's this model:
https://www.schecterguitars.com/vault/jeff-loomis-jlv-7-nt-detail

What I love about it:
Bright, clear sound.
Huge frets.
Simplicity (volume only)
Maple fretboard (not sticky, unlike my Fender Tele)

What I don't love:
Shape
Scale a bit too much for my dainty hands

What should I replace it with? And what the heck should I ask for price wise? These aren't exactly popping up for sale on a regular basis. Have an enormous case for it as well.

I would say to check out Charvel but I don't think they make a model with EMGs. Plenty with Duncan Distortions though if you just want rowdy metal pickups and not specifically EMGs.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Baron von Eevl posted:

That's still going to be plugging into the wall, just with one hilariously large wall wart instead of a dozen smaller ones. If you genuinely want to be off AC power you could try this extremely cheap thing (it eats batteries like a motherfuck) or this presumably fine rechargable one.

Dang, guess you gotta pay to play if you want mains power with no ground loops, huh.

E: To be clear, I'm currently using a daisy chain, so pretty much anything should be an improvement.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 31, 2019

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Fender Anarchist posted:

Dang, guess you gotta pay to play if you want mains power with no ground loops, huh.

Put it this way, since I bit the bullet on an 8 output isolated power supply a couple months ago: My pedals cost how much? So why would I want to hook them to some cheap thing I can't trust?

Mine does a great job and plus if you get one with simulated sag knobs like I did they even let you get more sounds out of your fuzzes and the like.

The one here is a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus which is only $150 and they make smaller ones that are only hundred or so new.

Alternatively you could rewire the outlets in the room to have isolated grounds!

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
You can always try different outlets also. On the one side of my room I get hum, on the other I do not. This means whoever wired the house up did something different on either side. I really couldn't care less as my house hasn't burned down yet.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
(Warning: Shred Alert) After four months of trying to learn this stupid wankfest song, I think this is as close as I'm ever going to get to playing it accurately. Not perfect but I think I did pretty well given that I couldn't sweep pick *at all* 15 months ago.

..my hands hurt. Time to play jazz or blues or something less straining for a few weeks.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gnumonic posted:

(Warning: Shred Alert) After four months of trying to learn this stupid wankfest song, I think this is as close as I'm ever going to get to playing it accurately. Not perfect but I think I did pretty well given that I couldn't sweep pick *at all* 15 months ago.

..my hands hurt. Time to play jazz or blues or something less straining for a few weeks.

This loving ruuuuuules

Great work man!

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
RE: instructors, the purpose of paying for lessons is not for content, it’s for guidance. A good teacher will find out where you are at and how you can improve, and provide you with an efficient road map to getting better. Essentially, you pay a teacher to give your practice direction and purpose.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Eric Johnson is amazing.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I dig this guy from AGT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xiq88q5C-wc

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

its curtains for Kevin posted:

RE: instructors, the purpose of paying for lessons is not for content, it’s for guidance. A good teacher will find out where you are at and how you can improve, and provide you with an efficient road map to getting better. Essentially, you pay a teacher to give your practice direction and purpose.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say in my post. I was hoping for a teacher who'd evaluate where I was as a player, ask me what my goals were, and develop a plan to achieve those goals with milestones along the way. If anyone's watched JustinGuitar's lessons with the guy from Anderton's (The Captain's Privates series), that's the approach he takes and I've been getting more out of watching someone else's lessons on YouTube than the 1:1 lessons I've been going to.

Instead, the instructor I've been working with was much less structured than that, didn't have any kind of agenda for each session, didn't really seem to remember what we'd discussed the previous week, and kind of organically bounced around topics in a way that made it difficult for me to retain or apply the information or draw connections between all the stuff he was telling me. I'm sure there are other people who would get along great with his teaching style but it just didn't mesh with my learning style.

If anyone cares, I decided not to continue lessons with him but am going to talk to the owner of the music school (who has a Master's in Music Education) and see if he can get me paired up with someone whose teaching style works better for me.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

i wonder how he keeps his nails from getting shredded when doing rasgueos on those steel strings

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

What is the recommended amp/effect simulator app for ios these days?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Does anybody have a magic solution for stopping the bar on my Charvel's Floyd from unscrewing itself? (No, "stop using the bar" doesn't count.) I tried putting teflon tape on the collar threads and silicone lube on the spot where the bar meets the collar but it still happens. Apparently this is a pretty common problem for Floyds since there's 1000 threads across the Internet asking the same thing but all the suggestions are stuff I already tried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Why did you lubricate something that you want to not move? :confused: