Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Chinook posted:

Someone on Discord just told me that there was a way to do this by setting up a Siri shortcut. I don’t know if that’s something I even know how to do, or if it really applies in the circumstances. Any idea?
Yeah if you go to create a shortcut, there’s a “toggle alarm” command built in. You have to tell it which alarm, though. Or I suppose you may be able to pop up a chooser, not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fly Ricky posted:

I wake up at my lightest sleep cycle via Auto Wake for maximum wakefullness and it's brilliant. The sleep data it collects via Apple Watch haptics is insane.

I'll be damned if I'm putting my phone on the bed for half those benefits (looking at you Sleep Cycle).

Or using an alarm like a normal person.

Sleep Cycle hasn’t required you put the phone on the bed for a couple years now. They do everything through the microphone now.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Fly Ricky posted:

With AutoSleep and AutoWake everything is done without any user action (save for stopping the alarm). So once a week I check my stats and know if I'm carrying a debt or not (both by hours and percentage of my goal). If I am I try to catch up a bit. And if I'm like 50% ahead of my goal I know to quit being a lazy dipshit.

AutoSleep never worked well for me. It turned itself on any time I was relatively immobile, e.g. reading in bed or watching TV.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

FCKGW posted:

Sleep Cycle hasn’t required you put the phone on the bed for a couple years now. They do everything through the microphone now.
Based on this post I might give Sleep Cycle another try. Is it able to work through the iOS Bedtime DND stuff or would I need to switch that off for it to work if I have an alarm set during those hours?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FCKGW posted:

Oh interesting. I’ll have to see if it works with my current setup, just to confirm that I still sleep like a garbage fire.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

When you long press to bring up the anchors, don’t you have both “select” and “select all” options on the pop up black bar?

I have "copy", "look up", and "share". I remember seeing "select" and "select all" at some point a few years back, but now that I need this function it appears to have disappeared.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah looks like it’s context sensitive. Like Select All pops up when typing in this reply box.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Crossposting from the iPhone thread because I'm not sure which one to post this in:

I have an iPhone 10 and I am looking for a way to select all text on a webpage so I can copy/paste it elsewhere. I seem to remember this being a feature once upon a time, but a quick google search suggests this has been gone for a few years now.

Are there any apps or different browsers besides safari that allow for this

Edit: For reference I'm aware of being able to select a word and grab the little circle and scroll down with it, but the data I'm looking to copy/paste is large enough that it's taking 6-7 minutes to scroll down each time.

The Shortcuts app is cool for stuff like this.

This should hopefully work for you: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5aacc6dfe05c45588b55c11b6b176002. You might need to download Shortcuts from the app store; it's an Apple app, not some shady fly-by-night thing. (I think it'll be installed by default in the next version of iOS.)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hey girl you up posted:

The Shortcuts app is cool for stuff like this.

This should hopefully work for you: https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5aacc6dfe05c45588b55c11b6b176002. You might need to download Shortcuts from the app store; it's an Apple app, not some shady fly-by-night thing. (I think it'll be installed by default in the next version of iOS.)

The shortcut app is amazing.

It’s even more amazing for being able to upload photos and spit up the correct bb code to poo poo post pictures on these forums. (Yes I know the awful app has img uploading built in but it doesn’t always work where as the shortcut always works).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

MarcusSA posted:

The shortcut app is amazing.

It’s even more amazing for being able to upload photos and spit up the correct bb code to poo poo post pictures on these forums. (Yes I know the awful app has img uploading built in but it doesn’t always work where as the shortcut always works).

Whoa where is the shortcut for that

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

priznat posted:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My favorite shortcut is the one that lets me press a YouTube link and open it in safari so I can watch with no ads.

The Imgur bbcode is pretty legit too though.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Ooh nice I didn’t even realize there was an imgur thing in there!

I also made a modified version I can just upload to imgur direct from a webpage URL so I don’t have to download a local copy.

Just enable share sheets and only select URLs

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

xzzy posted:

My favorite shortcut is the one that lets me press a YouTube link and open it in safari so I can watch with no ads.

the what now

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

:iia:

Now how do I get it so that I can just message whatever I’m looking at to preselected contacts? Like URLs, images, whatever? I’ve never been able to figure that one out!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

priznat posted:

Here's another version that lets you choose between copying the url, an img, timg, or to open the share extension for you to do something else.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/737100509ff24336b036cacef8ec248b

tuyop posted:

Now how do I get it so that I can just message whatever I’m looking at to preselected contacts? Like URLs, images, whatever? I’ve never been able to figure that one out!

If you mean messages as in an iMessage then you can kinda do that.

Put your contact there and and when you share a website/picture and tap on that shortcut it'll pre-fill a message with the content linked or embedded in the message. You'll still have to press 'send' to send it off (for safety reasons). If you mean by things like Slack or anything with a web api then it can be done without the confirmation step but how you do it will depend on the api. Some messaging apps might let you send off messages without confirmation, too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

the what now

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/5222340b90aa47008254f622f00d655d

Long press on any embedded YouTube video or url, tap share, tap shortcuts, tap this shortcut, video opens in safari.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

FCKGW posted:

I bet that has sent accuracy through the roof...

For anyone that doesn't sleep alone, Sleep Cycle is worthless. For anyone that does sleep alone, it's still nearly worthless. They've even gone so far as to create an Apple Watch app that doesn't bother to use the watch for anything but stopping the alarm.

Motion sensing and heart rate are key to increasing accuracy.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I use Pillow for this reason and it has led me to understand two things:

1. I sleep like poo poo. I knew this already. But I sleep like poo poo chronically and probably have been for like ten years now.

2. Sleeping pills improve this.

I don’t really know what else I’m supposed to learn from sleep tracking at this point. It does tell me that I sleep worse when I go to bed hungry, which is neat I guess!

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
edit: im dumb and was looking in SHSC

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fly Ricky posted:

I bet that has sent accuracy through the roof...

For anyone that doesn't sleep alone, Sleep Cycle is worthless. For anyone that does sleep alone, it's still nearly worthless. They've even gone so far as to create an Apple Watch app that doesn't bother to use the watch for anything but stopping the alarm.

Motion sensing and heart rate are key to increasing accuracy.

All consumer sleep trackers are pretty much poo poo if you dig into the research on how they do what they do. You take any conclusions the software makes into a doctor's office to talk about your sleep quality and they're gonna be all "uh no we're gonna hook you up to a machine that records your sleep before we try to fix anything."

I keep using sleep cycle because the snooze feature is awesome. Smack my phone that's on the nightstand, it shuts up for a while.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

xzzy posted:

All consumer sleep trackers are pretty much poo poo if you dig into the research on how they do what they do. You take any conclusions the software makes into a doctor's office to talk about your sleep quality and they're gonna be all "uh no we're gonna hook you up to a machine that records your sleep before we try to fix anything."

Nothing is going to stand up to proper sleep study, but if you look into the science behind what some of the better ones are doing it's solid science.

You can go all-out and buy a dedicated sleep tracking device (Beddit, Emfit, etc.) for about as close as you'll get without a clinic.

The Apple Watch apps AutoSleep and Auto Wake are by far the best sleep trackers available on the app store, relying on actual movement and heart rate to qualify sleep.

Trash like Sleep Cycle which just listens for ambient noise gives the better choices a bad name.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don’t give much stock into the statistics of Sleep Cycle but I enjoy their gradual alarm music and thus I keep using it.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Fly Ricky posted:

Trash like Sleep Cycle which just listens for ambient noise gives the better choices a bad name.

Sleep Cycle has motion detection. That used to be the only option. I think when they added the snore recordings thing they set microphone as the recommended method

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

dc3k posted:

Sleep Cycle has motion detection. That used to be the only option. I think when they added the snore recordings thing they set microphone as the recommended method

Yeah when it's on the bed. The crazy thing is they've got an Apple Watch app that doesn't use the more accurate motion available. It's simply an on/off switch.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I've got Background App Refresh off for Overcast yet it's showing 45% background activity. How do I turn this off?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

I've got Background App Refresh off for Overcast yet it's showing 45% background activity. How do I turn this off?

Pretty sure that’s just what it records energy usage as when it’s playing podcasts in the background. You can reduce this by turning off the silence cancelling feature and stuff.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fly Ricky posted:

Do you have it set to sync to your watch (assuming you have one)?

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you have it set to sync to your watch (assuming you have one)?

I don't but I sure as hell checked, lots of apps gently caress up your battery like that.

tuyop posted:

Pretty sure that’s just what it records energy usage as when it’s playing podcasts in the background. You can reduce this by turning off the silence cancelling feature and stuff.

This must be it. I probably listened to about that length of podcasts yesterday.

Thanks to both of you.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So something weird just happened - I'm on an iPhone SE

I have cellular data turned off for most of my apps

I launched Tinder by mistake earlier when I wasn't on wifi - and I was surprised to see new matches pop up along with my messages (there were no photos). I double-checked my settings and saw that cellular data was in fact turned off for Tinder.

So then I start browsing through my messages on Tinder and check my cellular data again, and somehow the app is tunneling through my System Services and using up data!

How is that possible?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

EugeneJ posted:

So something weird just happened - I'm on an iPhone SE

I have cellular data turned off for most of my apps

I launched Tinder by mistake earlier when I wasn't on wifi - and I was surprised to see new matches pop up along with my messages (there were no photos). I double-checked my settings and saw that cellular data was in fact turned off for Tinder.

So then I start browsing through my messages on Tinder and check my cellular data again, and somehow the app is tunneling through my System Services and using up data!

How is that possible?

I saw a tweet thread from Marco Arment yesterday, basically saying that Overcast is being blamed for an iOS bug in a similar fashion (using cellular data when it should be disabled). Apparently it goes back years.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there an app that can monitor when something goes on sale or changes are made to an Amazon listing? A company I follow announced that something will go on sale tomorrow via Amazon in limited quantity, and I'm trying to be on that as soon as possible.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there an app that can monitor when something goes on sale or changes are made to an Amazon listing? A company I follow announced that something will go on sale tomorrow via Amazon in limited quantity, and I'm trying to be on that as soon as possible.
Just set up an email alert on camelcamelcamel

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Just set up an email alert on camelcamelcamel

Will this work for something with no current price? There aren't any 3rd party sellers, new or original - no sellers at all. I'm just worried that CCC will see it as a price hike or "nothing out of the ordinary" since it's built to look for price drops.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LODGE NORTH posted:

Will this work for something with no current price? There aren't any 3rd party sellers, new or original - no sellers at all. I'm just worried that CCC will see it as a price hike or "nothing out of the ordinary" since it's built to look for price drops.

I'm *pretty* sure you can set it for a specific price, though I don't use it a whole lot.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

What’s the go to ads/content blocker for iOS right now? Currently using Purify but not sure if there’s a better solution.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

1Blocker has blocked more than most blockers for me so I’ve stuck with it.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I use Firefox Focus.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Have and use PDF Expert 6? Paid for that app outright, or purchased the IAP to enable PDF editing? DO NOT UPDATE THE APP TO VERSION 7, as Readdle have (un)intentionally disabled your edit functionality in 7, which you can restore for $50/year subscription.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

bobfather posted:

Have and use PDF Expert 6? Paid for that app outright, or purchased the IAP to enable PDF editing? DO NOT UPDATE THE APP TO VERSION 7, as Readdle have (un)intentionally disabled your edit functionality in 7, which you can restore for $50/year subscription.

I just downloaded the app to my iPhone (wasn’t previously installed but I have the purchased on my iPad) and am able to restore purchased for $0. I can still edit text in my pdf so if you’re not able to and you purchased the IAP before maybe try deleting it and reinstalling?

Edit: Their new App Store description explicitly says that all previous purchased will continue working as they have. It’s only people who didn’t buy them that have to subscribe to get those features.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 7, 2019