Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

dorothea's open contempt for nobles is absolutely fantastic

top tier voice acting too, i loved her support with edlegard in particular

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

also do i have to actually pay more money to use all the ghosts mechanics and stuff

since i'm not willing to pull the trigger on shelling out cash for switch online just yet
You can get a free year with Twitch/Amazon Prime, so if you're gonna shell out the money just do it that way

The only nice thing is the exp boosts which are normally better than most fights on the map. The items are all irrelevant garbage

So yeah it boils down to "Do you wanna pay real money for an extra three or four levels combined of exp"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Christ, this game causes some mega choice paralysis.

How many characters should you generally focus on? Should I spread my tutoring across all my faction-mates, or is there a certain number of characters who tend to be needed for missions? I had this issue in past Fire Emblem games, but it's even worse in this since there are additional ways you can train up your characters other than battle (and currently there is no way to grind, as far as I can tell). It will help a bit if a grinding DLC is released.

Also, is there a limit to the number of characters you can recruit from other factions? And is there much downside to recruiting no one at all? The fewer characters I have to manage the better IMO, and since I plan on doing the other routes foe the story it's not like I won't get to meet the other cast members.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Watching Hubert/Petra C immediately after Hubert/Linhardt C is :discourse:

E: Ahaha Caspar/Linhardt is literally just My Dad Could Beat Up Your Dad: The Support

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 28, 2019

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

How many characters should you generally focus on? Should I spread my tutoring across all my faction-mates, or is there a certain number of characters who tend to be needed for missions? I had this issue in past Fire Emblem games, but it's even worse in this since there are additional ways you can train up your characters other than battle (and currently there is no way to grind, as far as I can tell). It will help a bit if a grinding DLC is released.

Also, is there a limit to the number of characters you can recruit from other factions? And is there much downside to recruiting no one at all? The fewer characters I have to manage the better IMO, and since I plan on doing the other routes foe the story it's not like I won't get to meet the other cast members.

Don't worry. The game is so easy your choices hardly matter anyway.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

How many characters should you generally focus on? Should I spread my tutoring across all my faction-mates, or is there a certain number of characters who tend to be needed for missions? I had this issue in past Fire Emblem games, but it's even worse in this since there are additional ways you can train up your characters other than battle. It will help a bit if a grinding DLC is released.

1) Characters level skills fairly fast so you can spread out some without massively slowing yourself down, I'm only in chapter 7 and some of my characters are hitting B ranks in their main weapons. It doesn't feel like you'd be massively lagging behind if you spread the love a bit.

2) The game has slightly more deployment slots than you'd need for just the students in your house, but you do get some neutral characters who can fill those slots, and the Teachers are very easy to grab since they just want Byleth to be a high level. There's also some paralogues that only unlock if you have the character in your house, but of course you'd get those on the other routes. IMO grabbing one or two seems like the 'intended' method.

3) There is no limit but you have to minmax super hard to get a ton.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
This game is crazy good. I can't remember the last time a game ate my face like this over a weekend. I hadn't turned on my Switch in months and now it's all I think about.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
When can I recruit Gate Guard?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, it's good to hear that it's apparently not too hard to get characters the skills they need. As an unrelated gameplay thing, I still don't understand why this series insists on random stat increases on leveling. I don't see any point to it, and it's always painful when characters repeatedly get garbage level-ups. Is the idea to just have some characters become "randomly" stronger/weaker?

It's funny how the house leaders' main retainers are all like "yeah, Dmitri/Claude/Edelgart is basically a sociopath."

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, it's good to hear that it's apparently not too hard to get characters the skills they need. As an unrelated gameplay thing, I still don't understand why this series insists on random stat increases on leveling. I don't see any point to it, and it's always painful when characters repeatedly get garbage level-ups. Is the idea to just have some characters become "randomly" stronger/weaker?

it's a fun little way to make everyone's playthrough just a little different, and it makes it feel more special when one of your units gets blessed with good levels and becomes a shitwrecker

on the flipside it's also fun to complain about your Roy getting two points of strength in 20 levels

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, it's chapter 6 for me now and I've only poached Cyril from the students and faculty. Should I be working harder at this and is there anyone out I should be trying to scoop up as a superior Blue Lions player?

Also Cyril has leveled 3 times, and Mr. Aptitude gotten 3 Luck and a single point of Dex, Res and Cha each. I am kinda losing my mind about furiously hard some of my dudes are lagging compared to others.

Also Ye Olde Medieval Illustration Stag, NOOOOO!

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Leal posted:

When can I recruit Gate Guard?

GATEKEEPER GANG RISE UP

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Caidin posted:

Okay, it's chapter 6 for me now and I've only poached Cyril from the students and faculty. Should I be working harder at this and is there anyone out I should be trying to scoop up as a superior Blue Lions player?

Also Cyril has leveled 3 times, and Mr. Aptitude gotten 3 Luck and a single point of Dex, Res and Cha each. I am kinda losing my mind about furiously hard some of my dudes are lagging compared to others.

Also Ye Olde Medieval Illustration Stag, NOOOOO!

the teachers are basically free recruits but don't worry too much about the students from other houses. pick one or two you like and you'll be fine

Terper posted:

GATEKEEPER GANG RISE UP

am i crazy or is the gatekeeper yuri lowenthal

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Terper posted:

GATEKEEPER GANG RISE UP

every time i speak with him i keep hoping for a support icon.....

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
gatekeeper is kyle mccarley

also he is presh

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

god sylvain is the worst

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Actually Sylvain is 100% the best

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The idea is to give the characters some independence from the player instead of just raw stat sheets. It gives them a bit of personality, builds a back and forth with the player. This game has minimum bases for every class that you get pumped to when promoting to them so bad levels matter less than ever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

inthesto posted:

Actually Sylvain is 100% the best

I like that part of his whole deal is his relationship with crests since despite them being a pretty big part of the setting the rest of the Lions don't seem to have too much of a relationship with theirs early on.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
interesting cutscene bug.

https://twitter.com/deviijho/status/1154842078976909313

You spin me right round baby...

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I like that part of his whole deal is his relationship with crests since despite them being a pretty big part of the setting the rest of the Lions don't seem to have too much of a relationship with theirs early on.

His various supports really show that there's thought put into him as a character, and his support with Dedue is really good.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've basically only seen the various C supports of the Lions, but I like how a good half of each characters supports really do seem to go to pretty interesting places about their history or their relationship with other characters and the setting. It's welcome after the last few games, like there's a real effort behind a bunch of the supports.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fodlan feels like an actual place that could reasonably exist which is impressive after Fateslandia

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

How do you make gauntlet work? It just seem weak compared to lance/axe/sword? Maybe the hawks don’t have anyone suited for it? Is there a poachable character who excels at gauntlet?

Old post but I wanted to say that Felix is punching the poo poo out of everything in my game. His special ability lets him occasionally hit harder with regular attacks and he's naturally speedy. I like to buff his attacks even more with Annette's Rally skill. Not sure if something is going to outscale him later but he took the first big boss from full to zero health in one attack around.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I've basically only seen the various C supports of the Lions, but I like how a good half of each characters supports really do seem to go to pretty interesting places about their history or their relationship with other characters and the setting. It's welcome after the last few games, like there's a real effort behind a bunch of the supports.

I've been mostly ignoring Sylvain during combat because I hate him but he had a surprisingly nice support interaction with Dedue so I might actually start investing in him now.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like that Sylvain can strike out with every girl in the school.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I didn't realize you can use the gautier spear by itself. My Sylain is under leveled, what's his special bonus with it?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not very far either but yeah, the supports seem pretty good/fun just in general

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Andrast posted:

I'm not very far either but yeah, the supports seem pretty good/fun just in general

the 3D models honestly add a lot, limited animation and all - the end of Bernie/Hubert's C support was golden.

i also appreciate how easy they are to raise - i feel like i'll have B ranks between basically everyone in my house before i reach the timeskip, without really having to think about pairings or grinding them out

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Around when do you unlock the blacksmith?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
hot take; hilda owns

although I wish every enemy in the map wouldn't try to attack her she's not even squishy calm down dudes

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Gamerofthegame posted:

hot take; hilda owns

although I wish every enemy in the map wouldn't try to attack her she's not even squishy calm down dudes
She's a massive juggernaut in my run, just stick her with one of the healing girls and let her stand there with 60 health and axe people in half at a chokepoint. The game suggested I switch her over to a Wyvern Rider and I can't wait to get my massive flying guillotine

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

Around when do you unlock the blacksmith?

August, you get a quest from the blacksmith herself in the market.

dmboogie posted:

the 3D models honestly add a lot, limited animation and all - the end of Bernie/Hubert's C support was golden.

i also appreciate how easy they are to raise - i feel like i'll have B ranks between basically everyone in my house before i reach the timeskip, without really having to think about pairings or grinding them out

The voice acting is very good, too. Manuella's in particular is just fantastic.
I'm very glad that we got full supports with VO, I was worried after Echoes that they'd be fairly truncated but turns out having the full force of a development team making a ground up game comes with some perks!

Endorph posted:

fodlan feels like an actual place that could reasonably exist which is impressive after Fateslandia
you cant go more than a conversation without finding out someone's torrid house history, it's great. I went BE & haven't supported him but it was cool to pick up on how Ashe was affected by how the rebellion shook out and he'll keep reacting as more information is uncovered. Same with Sylvain and the august mission.

It's nice that the fleshing out of Valentia wasn't just them having fun with a remake

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I unlocked the first few advanced classes and the mage ones at least have some pretty great bases. My character who already doesn’t take damage from magic attack’s gained 6 Res and then 5 Def on top of that.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also even if you're just delivering lost items and having the occasional meal to boost Professor points you can recruit so many people. Which is great because they tend to bring stuff like stat boosters and money.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I'm facing mastered classes and let me tell you, Darting Blow is going to be incredibly annoying for the next 12+ chapters I'm predicting.

Also this free-for-all fight is probably a hell lot easier depending on how many you poach to cripple their army.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

I didn't realize you can use the gautier spear by itself. My Sylain is under leveled, what's his special bonus with it?

An extra combat art that's +13 Mt, +10 Crit/Hit/Avoid, and effective against fliers and dragons. Note that the spear itself is already a whopping 22 Mt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mild character support backstory spoilers (this is from like, a B Rank.) I was like 'haha yeah bernie your dad does sound like a bit of a dick' and then she progressed from 'marriage pressure' to 'tying her to a chair and forcing her not to speak no matter what.' jesus. I kind of dug that they went there in a way that actually made sense for her character, but man that was out of left field. Makes me worried what Marianne's deal is.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Lysithea didn't ask to be born an atomic bomb.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Endorph posted:

Mild character support backstory spoilers (this is from like, a B Rank.) I was like 'haha yeah bernie your dad does sound like a bit of a dick' and then she progressed from 'marriage pressure' to 'tying her to a chair and forcing her not to speak no matter what.' jesus. I kind of dug that they went there in a way that actually made sense for her character, but man that was out of left field. Makes me worried what Marianne's deal is.

you should get bernie's supports with dorothea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
This has to be the saddest FE game in a while. It seems like there's no good path no matter what. And no word on a good path from a DLC. (Yes I care a lot about happy stories. I only played Revelations for Fates because I wanted Azura to live.)

I may take a break from this for awhile.

In the meantime, I'm reminded of this post on another forum:
https://forums.serenesforest.net/index.php?/topic/83718-japanese-title-of-the-game-its-meaning-elaborated/

Which says Japanese name of the game can be traced back to this old Chinese poem:

寄殷協律
五歲優遊同過日,一朝消散似浮雲
琴詩酒伴皆拋我,雪月花時最憶君
幾度聽雞歌白日,亦曾騎馬詠紅裙
吳娘暮雨蕭蕭曲,自別江南更不聞

That forum post only translates the second line, which contains the characters for the Japanese name of the game. That translation is slightly off. And if you translate the entire poem, it's an incredibly sad poem.

Here's my best attempt to translate the entire thing (with the help of a modern vernacular intermediate translation of the Classical Chinese original):

To An Old Friend
Five years of carefree fun felt like just a day; one morning it all disappeared as if it was fog.
Those friends who played, wrote, and drank with me all left me now; and it's times like this that I think of you the most.
So many times, we woke up together to the morning call of roosters; so many times, we rode horses together and wrote poems about pretty girls.
I hear the mournful melody of the songstress through the twilight rain; and once again remember that ever since I left, I've heard nothing from you.

So while the literally meaning of the Japanese name of the game is Wind-Flower-Snow-Moon, the actual meaning, if you go deep enough, refers to "times like this," times where you feel the melancholy of 5 years of good times passing quickly, and suddenly coming to an end, abandoned by old friends, forced to leave a beloved place, and missing your loved ones.

I think it reflects the themes of the game very well.

I'm going to go drink.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jul 28, 2019