Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Nessus posted:

Couldn't you Iron Chef it up if need be and sell huge stacks of prepared meals to the outpost in order to get stoned up? I know they always bring blocks... just not many unless you ask.

I don't think you can make mechanisms out of blocks, only out of raw stone, I confess I don't remember at all if caravans bring raw stone because I've never actually wanted to trade for such a ubiquitous resource. You can make mechanisms out of metal too if you're really desperate, using wood for fuel in the metalsmith's forge, and you might want to trade for a stone block to make the forge itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mzbundifund posted:

I don't think you can make mechanisms out of blocks, only out of raw stone, I confess I don't remember at all if caravans bring raw stone because I've never actually wanted to trade for such a ubiquitous resource. You can make mechanisms out of metal too if you're really desperate, using wood for fuel in the metalsmith's forge, and you might want to trade for a stone block to make the forge itself.
They do if you request it, I've asked for flux stone occasionally.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

same dwarf. same.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Assign the dwarf's job away from retail.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Nessus posted:

They do if you request it, I've asked for flux stone occasionally.

Raw stone is super heavy so they can never bring very much

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Stone is a deprecated trade good. Dwarves and, occasionally (I think), humans will bring it of their own accord, but it's rare and there's never much of it. Even the massive trade caravans you can build up to after several years won't feature much raw stone, even if you request it. In my experience, requesting raw stone gets you a handful of additional boulders at the expense of at least doubling the cost for each. It is pretty much the only way to build up a supply of the more exotic ores, though, so if you want a pretty, purple, radioactive retainer wall around your entrance or a garish red-orange fence made out of petrified wood, you're probably just going to have to get your supply from the Dwarven caravan, which might take years for a larger project.

It's always wise to bring some raw stone in your initial expedition supplies, since you never know when you might need a mechanism or some blocks to deal with some particular early need. Bringing along magma-safe stone can even be a good investment for early, lazy lava management projects before you can begin using iron. Otherwise, it can be very difficult to get a hold of stone from outside your site. Blocks aren't as bad; their more manageable weight and better value ratio means that caravans will happily supply large loads of bricks if requested, and humans will bring them from time to time as well. I think even elves may occasionally have grown wood blocks for sale, which is an intriguing concept for a race so hellbent on respecting everything arboreal at any cost.

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

Sustainably logged, fallen-lumber artisanal hand-crafted wood blocks.

I'll trade you this entire cartload for your plate of =*Beak Dog Tripe Biscuits*=

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I think the theory is that the elves are convincing the trees to grow blocks (or bows, or swords, or whatever it is the elves need) that can be harvested without harming the tree.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Right, but 'blocks' somehow gives me pause, among the items in that list. Cages make plenty of sense. Grown wooden instruments and weapons and armor are actually kind of hella rad and fit perfectly in a fantasy setting. But then there's...blocks. Mundane, seemingly useless to the elves, would require an intense amount of effort on the plant's part and....I dunno man. blocks

Like, maybe the elves look at how dwarves like to carve stone up into squarish shapes and assume that they have some kind of mystical significance so as to be worth several times their normal value as a trade good, because any construction that's not a glade you gently negotiated into growing into a house for you is just that alien to them.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I treat blocks in my head more like slabs since that is more in line with how they end up getting used. So a wooden blocks is just thick, natural, wood sheets.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Zereth posted:

I think the theory is that the elves are convincing the trees to grow blocks (or bows, or swords, or whatever it is the elves need) that can be harvested without harming the tree.

"Remember kids, don't climb on the sword tree, you could get hurt"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The elves are just growing Minecraft trees and chopping up the ones that die or fall naturally.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Chopping up how? You ever tried to cut a plank with a -Grown Wood Saw-?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Karate chopped, like minecraft guy does.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Animals aren't going to be going on across the fortress adventures or finding new places to be as often as dwarves are, but they do generate pathfinding calls as well so yeah. Depending on where they are they can also cause blockages, which will result in many pathfinding calls being made.

My off the cuff guess is that cats are probably the most computer resource intensive animals to have around, since they wander so much. Conversely, pastured animals are probably relatively small resource sinks compared to dwarves.

birds are also extremely restless. your guineafowl pens are generating a lot of pathfinding calls - performance really tanks if you try to have lots of domestic birds.

Shady Amish Terror posted:

It's always wise to bring some raw stone in your initial expedition supplies, since you never know when you might need a mechanism or some blocks to deal with some particular early need. Bringing along magma-safe stone can even be a good investment for early, lazy lava management projects before you can begin using iron. Otherwise, it can be very difficult to get a hold of stone from outside your site. Blocks aren't as bad; their more manageable weight and better value ratio means that caravans will happily supply large loads of bricks if requested, and humans will bring them from time to time as well. I think even elves may occasionally have grown wood blocks for sale, which is an intriguing concept for a race so hellbent on respecting everything arboreal at any cost.

elves hate how other species obtain wood, not its use. presumably they can ask the trees to drop branches voluntarily or some other elfy nonsense that makes the wood ethically-sourced

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 29, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Chopping up how? You ever tried to cut a plank with a -Grown Wood Saw-?

With their blocky fists, obviously :colbert:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I have embark paralysis and would spends hours looking for a cool location. One that looked cool but had lot of nearby enemies. Even enemies directly on the starting area as long as I could scramble into a hole before having my face ripped off by a zombified owl... Or its zombified feather which still possessed superhuman combat abilities.

Finally I had found an amazing start. One with a resident Roc. Visions of tamed rocs flooded through my brain and I declared it the finest start I had ever found.

Zombies showed up and punched the thing to death and I abandoned the fort.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Decrepus posted:

I have embark paralysis and would spends hours looking for a cool location. One that looked cool but had lot of nearby enemies. Even enemies directly on the starting area as long as I could scramble into a hole before having my face ripped off by a zombified owl... Or its zombified feather which still possessed superhuman combat abilities.

Finally I had found an amazing start. One with a resident Roc. Visions of tamed rocs flooded through my brain and I declared it the finest start I had ever found.

Zombies showed up and punched the thing to death and I abandoned the fort.

Yeah same it takes me hours and hours and hours to be satisfied.

:negative:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

On the topic of embark sites, I've had a rash of forts lately where I play a few years, get bored, make another (possibly with a new world). And I've noticed you get a shitload of freeloading bards if you set up an inn or tavern in a desert biome vs. other areas.

Is there a reason for this? I'm annoyed because these hewmons are showing up and drinking my beer. What the gently caress am I, the Stone Pony?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Jazerus posted:

elves hate how other species obtain wood, not its use. presumably they can ask the trees to drop branches voluntarily or some other elfy nonsense that makes the wood ethically-sourced

Yes, absolutely, I get that, as mentioned above. And it's very, very cool, and I like that about DF's elves. but blocks though

Apologies for the tangent, even though I enjoyed the wealth of very educational responses.

E:

Nessus posted:

On the topic of embark sites, I've had a rash of forts lately where I play a few years, get bored, make another (possibly with a new world). And I've noticed you get a shitload of freeloading bards if you set up an inn or tavern in a desert biome vs. other areas.

Is there a reason for this? I'm annoyed because these hewmons are showing up and drinking my beer. What the gently caress am I, the Stone Pony?

Looking at the wiki, I don't see an obvious reason why this might be, other than perhaps human civs having a slightly greater tolerance for desert biomes than elves or dwarves, which still wouldn't explain the prevalence of bards. Monster hunters supposedly won't show up until you breach the caverns, though, and due to the number of characters in performance troupes that might visit you, perhaps the tavern is simply filling up your visitor cap much quicker than libraries or temples. You could try restricting your first tavern to citizens only for a while and seeing if you get more visiting priests and librarians before opening up the tavern to visitation.

Obviously this doesn't explain the desert connection, but that could be a fluke. DF is weird.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 29, 2019

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
I always figured the grown wooden items were a nature magic supercharged version of this:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

there's a special tag that makes "blocks" of a certain material have another name

toady only used it to show it off when ceramics went in, clayware turns into "bricks" instead

metal panels, wood boards and porcelain tiles for me

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Okay, I think I've sited myself well for learning how to pump the old-fashioned way--with brute force. I had tweaked terrain generation with a focus on rivers and many altitude variations. I eventually located a good site that is something like a gorge cut by a huge river. I want a 3x3 hole, so it looks like I'm pumping out for 5x5. The river is roughly 33 units wide. The hole is about 15 blocks away from the river. The aquifer is 4 blocks below the shore line. Thanks to this gorge, I actually have rock--obsidian and schist. Unfortunately, I haven't found iron in it, but I have gold for trading. It is forested, although not extremely densely. However, I have enough to make many, many pumps. How should I site this?

I was thinking of using a water wheel as my primary driver for a ton of pumps.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay.

I literally have not played this in years so this is the first time I'm coming to grips with a lot of systems, including justice.

I thought I was asking the queen to come give testimony about an assault.

What happened was the queen was jailed for the assault instead.

e: oh god i forgot I put the prisoner chains with the dog chains.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 31, 2019

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay.

I literally have not played this in years so this is the first time I'm coming to grips with a lot of systems, including justice.

I thought I was asking the queen to come give testimony about an assault.

What happened was the queen was jailed for the assault instead.

e: oh god i forgot I put the prisoner chains with the dog chains.

I love this game :allears:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Okay, I think I've sited myself well for learning how to pump the old-fashioned way--with brute force. I had tweaked terrain generation with a focus on rivers and many altitude variations. I eventually located a good site that is something like a gorge cut by a huge river. I want a 3x3 hole, so it looks like I'm pumping out for 5x5. The river is roughly 33 units wide. The hole is about 15 blocks away from the river. The aquifer is 4 blocks below the shore line. Thanks to this gorge, I actually have rock--obsidian and schist. Unfortunately, I haven't found iron in it, but I have gold for trading. It is forested, although not extremely densely. However, I have enough to make many, many pumps. How should I site this?

I was thinking of using a water wheel as my primary driver for a ton of pumps.

I see that nobody responded because they had the foresight to know that a werejackal epidemic would break out in my fort, kill 70 dwarves, and leave me with 3 adults and 5 children.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see that nobody responded because they had the foresight to know that a werejackal epidemic would break out in my fort, kill 70 dwarves, and leave me with 3 adults and 5 children.

Apologies, it did sound like you had the right of it though. It's worth mentioning that if you're on a map with wind, windmills can also provide auxiliary startup power to get larger water-wheel powerplants jump-started.

E: And I am firmly in the 'set werecurses to 0' camp for pretty much the scenario you described. If you have werecurses in your world, every fort needs to treat preventing outbreaks and killing anything up to a werelephant as its very first priorities, which is somewhat tedious.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I’ve played this game for ten years and have never messed with pumps.

Haven’t gotten a King yet either.

And I’m terrible with the military.

I am not good at this game. I just like it a lot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Trying to decide if I should start a fort or wait for the Steam release.......

Or even just the next patch dang I didn't realize that it's been a year since the last update.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Nessus posted:

Well, you are offering free beverages in a literal desert. Everyone planning to travel through the blasted hellscape would be an idiot not to pay you a visit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Moridin920 posted:

Or even just the next patch dang I didn't realize that it's been a year since the last update.

The Steam release is likely a year or more away and we won't be getting it after the next major update, which itself is probably months away. May as well start a fort!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Shady Amish Terror posted:

E: And I am firmly in the 'set werecurses to 0' camp for pretty much the scenario you described. If you have werecurses in your world, every fort needs to treat preventing outbreaks and killing anything up to a werelephant as its very first priorities, which is somewhat tedious.
Is there a way to retroactively disable it with DFHack? I don't want to deal with this crap while trying to do this kind of engineering. I still have the fort and it restored itself up to 50 from migrants ("Some migrants have arrived, albeit cautiously" or similar when they arrived). So I am about to make it go but I don't need a werejackal to pop up 20 tiles from my entrance while my dwarves get drunk on top of the drawbridge lever.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I don't know of a way to retroactively disable it, not saying there isn't, just if there is, I don't know it.

But you can definitely use dfhack to 'exterminate it' the werewhatevers the second they show up.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
You can also use dfhack to find out which dwarves are "cursed" and kill them on sight if they already got bit.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Moridin920 posted:

Start a fort. Play very intensely for a couple days. Come back to it in a year.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Dieting Hippo posted:

You can also use dfhack to find out which dwarves are "cursed" and kill them on sight if they already got bit.

There's a command I tried (cursecheck) that absolutely did not work. It reported no cursed creatures whether they were currently in there wereform or not. It didn't even work on specific tiles. What I ended up doing was editing the properties of all the dwarves. Specifically, I disabled all of their syndromes regardless of what they were. I just don't want to go through that again with many more dwarves.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
After setting up a communal area to sleep and a farm/still every dwarf society is best served by the construction of a nice moat and drawbridge.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I suspect this lingering flock of keas is why the merchants aren't finishing unloading. And yet it's maddening! Why do these little bastards plague me so.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Nessus posted:

I suspect this lingering flock of keas is why the merchants aren't finishing unloading. And yet it's maddening! Why do these little bastards plague me so.

Verisimilitude. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBdvRCkCNfo

Keas have very little chill to go around.

reignofevil posted:

After setting up a communal area to sleep and a farm/still every dwarf society is best served by the construction of a nice moat and drawbridge.

Fort construction order for me, last I played, was 'get into the ground, make a door you can lock', followed by farms and living space, followed by drawbridges and traps and a moat and a wall. The military is so incredibly hit or miss unless you very carefully micromanage everything that I'd rather just be able to set an alarm burrow and close three layers of airlocks with a single lever anytime something remotely threatening shows up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ah an aquifier. Should be good practice to get back into DF. Let's wait til winter and try dig a ramp through.

*three miners are frozen in ice*