Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FiestaDePantalones
May 13, 2005

Kicked in the pants by TFLC
What if the chances I could then use something like GEForce to play steam games on my switch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Sweet. Keep us posted.

edit:

quote:

Things that do not work:
  • The touchscreen sometimes detects touches even when your finger is just floating over the screen
:thunk:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

FiestaDePantalones posted:

What if the chances I could then use something like GEForce to play steam games on my switch?
It can.
https://twitter.com/switchroot_org/status/1140330254852120576?s=19

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
Look I ain't know nothin' 'bout no "GeForce," I just need someone to tell me if this means I might be able to turn my Switch into the portable New-Vegas-with-mods-machine I always secretly wanted it to be in the first place

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crindee posted:

Look I ain't know nothin' 'bout no "GeForce," I just need someone to tell me if this means I might be able to turn my Switch into the portable New-Vegas-with-mods-machine I always secretly wanted it to be in the first place

As long as you have a computer to stream it from, yup! Just use Moonlight (which is also available through custom firmware/Homebrew, it's not Android-exclusive). I don't know if the Android Steam Link app will work, it... might?

First game I'm gonna stream to my Switch is gonna be Portal 2, personally.

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

asecondduck posted:

As long as you have a computer to stream it from, yup!

Goodbye forever, other games!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Hey. Modding my Wii U for the first time here. I've followed the guide in the OP exactly to my knowledge, and when trying to access the browser exploit, upon trying to launch the homebrew I get a black screen that says FSOpenFile failed. I've made sure my card is formatted correctly. Is it a problem with my Wii U reading the card? Or is it just something I have to keep trying?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I could remote play my PS4 to my Switch. This is very E X C I T E

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

e: NVM I GOT IT

mabels big day fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jul 25, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LODGE NORTH posted:

I could remote play my PS4 to my Switch. This is very E X C I T E

Last time I checked (which admittedly was a few months ago), Sony had done something to the Remote Play Android app that completely stopped it from working on non-Sony phones.

Also I'm not sure even hacked versions of the Remote Play app ever worked with anything other than a DS4/DS3.

So unfortunately I don't see Remote Play working on the Switch. Which is too bad, because then I could mess with people by streaming Persona 5 to it.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jul 25, 2019

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math
Anyone have any troubleshooting tips/workarounds for GBA on 3DS. GBARunner2 inside TwilightMenu++ just crashes on a bunch of games I want to play. Can GBA games be injected into virtual console things or something?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

dirby posted:

Anyone have any troubleshooting tips/workarounds for GBA on 3DS. GBARunner2 inside TwilightMenu++ just crashes on a bunch of games I want to play. Can GBA games be injected into virtual console things or something?

They absolutely can and that's the best way to play them, imo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dirby posted:

The best thing about GBA VC injection is that it's not emulation, the games run natively. Just keep in mind, the games still run when you put the 3DS to sleep, so be sure to save and exit your games when putting them down like it's 2002.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The 3DS CPU has enough GBA DNA in it that you can run GBA games on a hardware level very similarly to how DS games are run in a backwards-compatibility mode. The obvious caveat to this is that your system is basically a glorified GBA while running in GBA mode.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Also if you don't hold the start or select button while launching DS/GBA/GB games from the 3ds virtual console you're a cop

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

asecondduck posted:

Also if you don't hold the start or select button while launching DS/GBA/GB games from the 3ds virtual console you're a cop

This 100%.
Also is it just me or do GBA injects take like 20 seconds or more to launch? I have a big honking SD card but normal 3ds games load instantly.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Pegnose Pete posted:

This 100%.
Also is it just me or do GBA injects take like 20 seconds or more to launch? I have a big honking SD card but normal 3ds games load instantly.

I think that's normal, I have the same thing happen on my system.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Mr E posted:

I figured it was the janky nature of ambassador program stuff.
I really love how GBA games look on my 3DS though. I have a backlight modded GBA and I still kind of prefer the 3DS.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well, yeah, a lot of 3ds’s have real nice IPS screens

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mr E posted:

Yeah, it’s normal. The system like reboots into GBA mode before starting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Android for Switch is out: https://forum.xda-developers.com/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-news-guides-discussion--development/rom-switchroot-lineageos-15-1-t3951389

I'm working on getting the SD Card set up, I'll report back once that's done.

https://twitter.com/asecondduck/status/1155200180779724800?s=19

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 27, 2019

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I was planning on re-doing my Switch's CFW setup to use emuMMC, and I wanted to revert to my original NAND backup from before I did anything to it. That backup is from system version 4.1.0. Would it be recommended to update the system through Nintendo and burn all the required fuses before re-applying Hekate and Atmosphere?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been messing around with Android all evening. For starters: the install process isn't smooth, and if you've never messed around with flashing .zips in TWRP on an Android device before you're gonna wanna watch a tutorial video first. Once it boots, you'll find a (mostly) functional Android install, though the touch response is definitely too high and it's laggier/more stuttery than you might expect.

That said, it's Android Oreo on the Switch. Everything I've installed so far works. I had to sideload YouTube TV (the Switch Android install pretends it's a Shield TV, so the Play Store has the phone/tablet version of the app blocked) and while the Shield TV games, like Half-Life 2, Portal, and Tomb Raider can be installed from the Play Store, performance isn't perfect and for some reason they're not fullscreen. For a laugh, I installed CounterSpy, a decentish rouglite stealth game published by Sony... it was a trip to see the Sony Computer Entertainment credit pop up on a Nintendo console.

Emulation, of course, is good. I have not tried Dolphin, but even on my Shield TV it doesn't work great, so I wouldn't expect the Switch to fair any better. PPSSPP plays Peace Walker at double resolution at the native FPS (which, admittedly, is only 20... but hey, it hits that!). Drastic emulation is perfect, which is no surprise considering that DS games emulated perfectly on my Nexus 6 years ago. I haven't tried NES/SNES/Game Boy/GBA emulation yet, but I have no reason to believe they won't work.

Then there's the game streaming side of things. Others have reported Moonlight and Steam Link working well, but my gaming PC hasn't been turned on in months. When I've wanted to play a PC game, I've been doing it through GeForce Now on my Shield TV. Well, that works on Android for the Switch, though the connection isn't quite as reliable, due in no small part to the Switch's lovely WiFi. I played a bit of Arkham Asylum and The Witcher 3 and even though there was a connection quality warning pretty much the entire time, the games were quite playable (the button layout was "wrong" though). They both looked great on the Switch, too--I'm looking forward to the upcoming port of The Witcher a little less now (still gonna buy it though because it's such a wild concept that The Witcher III is gonna be on a frigging tablet).

Now, this initial release of Android is by no means perfect, there are some rough spots everywhere. Lakka probably emulates games slightly better, or at least with less overhead. Having to use a separate SD card and reboot the Switch when you want to use Android is... not as easy a launching a Homebrew emulator in Horizon, if you've already got CFW running. Having to re-pair the joycon every time you boot is... slightly annoying, I guess?

But if you're like me, and like Android, and don't want to even come close to Nintendo's telemetry catching you doing things they don't want you to on their hardware, I cannot recommend this port enough.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So for those with the SNES Classic, when you're adding games and deciding on the box art to use, do you typically end up using the Western box art to keep with the consistency of the game name, or do you prefer to use the Japanese box art if you prefer it to the Western one?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

If I really like the Japanese box art I use a photoshopped version with the American box details for consistency. There's almost always one of those in the hakchi image search

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Do I still need a magnet for 3ds Homebrew?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Do I still need a magnet for 3ds Homebrew?

The easiest method needs a magnet, but it’s not some like speciality thing you need. I literally just stole the “A” off my sister’s fridge since my nephew had like four or five. You can test a magnet just by seeing if it puts a 3DS you have no into sleep mode.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

asecondduck posted:

though the touch response is definitely too high

Does it actually register if you're not even touching the screen and hovering over it? How the gently caress?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

How safe is Android for Switch? I don't want my account to be banned. Can it be installed to an SD card with Switch games on it or does it need its own card?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

Does it actually register if you're not even touching the screen and hovering over it? How the gently caress?

This is literally just how capacitive touchscreens work.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

LODGE NORTH posted:

The easiest method needs a magnet, but it’s not some like speciality thing you need. I literally just stole the “A” off my sister’s fridge since my nephew had like four or five. You can test a magnet just by seeing if it puts a 3DS you have no into sleep mode.

Just tried the Seedminer method and I think I just bricked my 3ds xl. Welp at least a motherboard is only $15.

edit: woops looks like it worked!

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 28, 2019

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

How safe is Android for Switch? I don't want my account to be banned. Can it be installed to an SD card with Switch games on it or does it need its own card?

It needs its own card. Currently, everyone is 99.9% sure that Nintendo won't ban you for using Lakka/Android/anything that boots off an SD card because the only way they would know what you've done is if you start up the Switch normally with the SD in question still in the Switch (so make sure to swap your card back when you go to play games).

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Seedmining a 3DS was really easy for me, what's this about magnets?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pegnose Pete posted:

Seedmining a 3DS was really easy for me, what's this about magnets?

A magnet is needed for NTRBoot.

Basically it needs to run while the 3DS is in sleep mode but you also have to be able to press buttons while in sleep mode to start it. Sleep mode is triggered by a magnet in the top screen, so putting a strong enough magnet in the right place on the 3DS will trigger sleep mode with the console still open.

Anything stronger than one of those flat fridge magnets will work.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

asecondduck posted:

It needs its own card. Currently, everyone is 99.9% sure that Nintendo won't ban you for using Lakka/Android/anything that boots off an SD card because the only way they would know what you've done is if you start up the Switch normally with the SD in question still in the Switch (so make sure to swap your card back when you go to play games).

I have a launch day Switch that I’ve always updated to the latest OS without really considering homebrew. Not at all interested in piracy or Switch mods anything, but having a separate Android SD card to boot up for emulators sounds cool.

I’m vaguely aware that earlier Switch models have some unpatchable vulnerability, but don’t know if the situation is harder due to updating to the current OS.

Is it easy to get a stock Switch to the point of running Android? And does it make installing future official updates a pain if I want my regular Switch experience untouched/undetectable?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

A good poster posted:

I was planning on re-doing my Switch's CFW setup to use emuMMC, and I wanted to revert to my original NAND backup from before I did anything to it. That backup is from system version 4.1.0. Would it be recommended to update the system through Nintendo and burn all the required fuses before re-applying Hekate and Atmosphere?

This got a bit lost, so:

Do not burn fuses. That's bad. This happens whenever you boot through anything tht's not a SXOS/Atmosphere/hekate.

Do a NAND backup from right now, so you can just always go back to before you started messing around with it. Then restore your backup from 4.1.0 (i hope you also have the BOOT0/BOOT1 images from back then).

Then apply any emuMMC shenanigans you'd like. Not sure how you'd like to use it, keep eMMC clean and use emuMMC for homebrew? Then you can restore the backup you made fom today to the emuMMC i guess. And use your real 4.1.0 NAND to boot your emuMMC through a software exploit, so you can ditch the RCM exploit and dongles and injecting payloads and stuff if you'd like.

As for updating: if you're running latest atmosphere, updating through system settings is fine and pretty much risk-free. It protects your Auto-RCM, which means after rebooting you'll have to use hekate or whatever else bootloader you use again and protect your fuses.

edit: I'm not actually 100% on what happens if you update emuMMC and then reboot without AutoRCM. My gut tells me that it would try to reboot into normal operation, meaning youreboot into normal eMMC on lower firmware and don't burn anything, but i don't know for sure.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Froist posted:

I have a launch day Switch that I’ve always updated to the latest OS without really considering homebrew. Not at all interested in piracy or Switch mods anything, but having a separate Android SD card to boot up for emulators sounds cool.

I’m vaguely aware that earlier Switch models have some unpatchable vulnerability, but don’t know if the situation is harder due to updating to the current OS.

Is it easy to get a stock Switch to the point of running Android? And does it make installing future official updates a pain if I want my regular Switch experience untouched/undetectable?

Nintendo can't do anything about the Fusée Gelée exploit in the vulnerable Switches, so you can update your OS all you want and you'll always be able to access RCM mode to boot another OS.

Is it easy to get Android running? Well, have you ever dual booted Linux on a PC, or installed a rom on an Android phone, or hacked a console before? If so, you shouldn't have much trouble. If you haven't, though, I'd recommend waiting for a video about it from ETA Prime or the like so you can follow along with it. Alternatively, there's a good written tutorial here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/ni...switch-t3952300

Oh, and there's one important thing I forgot to mention: in order to reboot to Android, you have to short the right joycon port (I bought a jig for that because I could never get the tinfoil or paperclip method to work) and plug your Switch into another device so a payload can be sent that allows for booting. If you have an Android phone, it's not a huge issue--there's an app called NX Loader you can install on your phone that automatically detects when a RCM mode Switch is connected and sends the payload.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 28, 2019

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I homebrewed my N3DS XL a few months ago and while the guide was great I feel like I don't have a good understanding of what I actually DID, which makes me nervous. Is there anything I should be doing to keep the hacks up to date, or any general maintenance? I don't think there's been an update to Luma since I did the hacks, but that's the only "update" thing I see

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

RichterIX posted:

I homebrewed my N3DS XL a few months ago and while the guide was great I feel like I don't have a good understanding of what I actually DID, which makes me nervous. Is there anything I should be doing to keep the hacks up to date, or any general maintenance? I don't think there's been an update to Luma since I did the hacks, but that's the only "update" thing I see
I get where you're coming from, I feel the same with both my 3ds and my Switch. I guess the good thing about the 3ds is that it's a relatively solved problem - the console is more or less done, and the future for homebrew is probably just refining what we already have. Keep Iuma updated and you should be fine.

Meanwhile on the Switch I'm just sticking with SXOS because I don't understand all the other weird poo poo people use and don't even understand what the SX Installer app does that I can't do with the normal menu lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I think SX Installer is just a stolen/copy of Tinfoil. I could have the confused with something else. Tinfoil, at least how most people use it, is used in conjunction with /hbg/shop for :filez:. Don't really know why or what anyone would use it for outside of that except game updates. In any case, SX OS is far and true the easiest and most user-friendly CFW out there. It's actually a bit surprising that no one really holds a candle in that department.

--

And yeah, as far as the 3DS goes, you just need to focus on updating Luma so that everything works if Nintendo decides to push further software updates. You can see if they put out new GodMod9 updates and stuff, but it's not all that necessary for what you're gonna be doing.