Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this one is simple but it got a chuckle out of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

As someone who works retail, anyone who says this is obnoxious. It is vaguely amusing once, maybe, but then every time after that it is annoying, and there are some people who would genuinely believe it so you have to tell people no every single time.

Same with many of the 'jokes' that people, especially old people tell. Yes, we don't stock attractive blondes. Yes, 1957 or whatever was a good year, I get it. There is only so many times you can hear some of these lines and not blow a fuse.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 27, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

cursed

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Luann is mentally about twelve. Her parents show the level of obsessive care any parent would for their developmentally disadvantaged child.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Johnny Walker posted:

Andertoons

"This town's got plenty of room, why don't you set down and stick around a spell?"

Andertoons is so good :allears:

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

See if you can guess which of these three strips had the dumb pun that made me put off trying to translate these for two months.

It's too drat hot

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Nancy

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I sort of wonder if this is based off of Lynn's own childhood memories, since we know her mother was abusive. Like Lynn's metric for what's normal and funny for kids got so completely messed up by her own childhood.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

PetraCore posted:

I sort of wonder if this is based off of Lynn's own childhood memories, since we know her mother was abusive. Like Lynn's metric for what's normal and funny for kids got so completely messed up by her own childhood.

Man hands on misery to man.
  It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
  And don't recreate FOOB yourself.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mikl posted:

I admit I haven't been paying close attention to 3-G, but... The Professor seems like a genuinely good guy? I guess I'm jaded because often in fiction (and real life) these things end up with "whoops turns out he's a creep!" but this doesn't seem to be the case at all.
He was a recurring character until the end. I've been paying less attention than you, is this his first appearance?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
lmao

TOMORROW, AFTER YOU, BEACH?

EXCELLENT

SOUNDS GOOD!

BEACH, EAT

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Zereth posted:

He was a recurring character until the end. I've been paying less attention than you, is this his first appearance?

I don't know why in the world I know this, but he's been there since the beginning or close to it; the backstory was that he is Lou Ann's father-in-law, her husband having been KIA in Vietnam.

At some point in the comic's run, they updated that to Iraq or Afghanistan, IIRC, since the characters had not aged.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

lookit that Dog!!! :neckbeard:

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Angular Cyrus posted:

See if you can guess which of these three strips had the dumb pun that made me put off trying to translate these for two months.
Nice job on this, btw

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Johnny Walker posted:

Rex Morgan MD

There's no way this guy isn't the beatnik art forger, right?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (July 29, 1972)

What The Creator of "Funky Winkerbean" Thinks Is Meta

If you mean poorly delineated secondary characters that you barely see anymore? Then yeah, you're on the money, punk.

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 26, 1936)

Out Our Way (January 26-28, 1933)

Once again, life gets in the way of the effort part of this post. More later, scout's honor.

Coatlicue
Sep 14, 2012

it doesn't matter
how fast or how far,
you're still runnin' like a fool

EasyEW posted:

9 Chickweed Lane

Eww.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Ashsaber posted:

Same with many of the 'jokes' that people, especially old people tell. Yes, we don't stock attractive blondes. Yes, 1957 or whatever was a good year, I get it. There is only so many times you can hear some of these lines and not blow a fuse.

"Anything else I can get you?"
"A winning lottery ticket! :haw:"

The old classics never die, and more's the pity.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Howard Beale posted:

[checking a large bill with a UV scanner and a test pen]
" :haw: Aw it's fine, I just printed it this morning!"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Angular Cyrus posted:

Sad Bear

I would have used the phrase open season to simulate the pun. But nope, there's no way to translate stuff like that which won't sound ridiculous somehow.

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

This one was easy it used the exact same language.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
I love the astonished bodies cruising through the air

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

I would have used the phrase open season to simulate the pun. But nope, there's no way to translate stuff like that which won't sound ridiculous somehow.

Ain't that the truth.

King Aroo 3/28/53

Mopsy 2/18/42

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Princess Planet gets holbrookian

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Hostile V posted:

[checking a large bill with a UV scanner and a test pen]
" :haw: Aw it's fine, I just printed it this morning!"
"Can you smile for us?"

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

lol

Angular Cyrus posted:

Sad Bear

What was the literal translation of the testing/death's sting pun?

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Cichlidae posted:

There's no way this guy isn't the beatnik art forger, right?

Plot twist! It's actually Rex trying to make some money on the side!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Angular Cyrus posted:

Mopsy 2/18/42

Mopsy part of Antifa confirmed.

Also, Angular Cyrus, drat good job on making a pun out of that - I too am interested in what the original was.

But... in today's Corto Maltese!: Now remember children, when nobody talks, everyone walks, or Well, that's what you get when you shell out for a cheaper destroyer model, British Navy, or Now, can you guess who the mysterious German is?

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

davidspackage posted:

What was the literal translation of the testing/death's sting pun?
Food that you would sample like at a supermarket is shishoku, 試食, "testing food" - but shi shoku, 死食, is "death" "food".

食 can be used as a verb with a number of different eating-related meanings, one of which is insect bites or stings, which is a very elegant way of retaining the pun there. Stuff like that is also why I mainly stick to translating cat noises.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

食 can be used as a verb with a number of different eating-related meanings, one of which is insect bites or stings, which is a very elegant way of retaining the pun there.

To be completely honest, this is just a happy accident. I didn't even think about that, I was entirely focused on trying to force the English pun.

Pink Rabbit

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

It's dumb, but I like it!

Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:jerkbag:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Fixed.

Bonus exasperated beat cop:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Howard Beale posted:

I started responding with a laugh and saying "If I had a winning lottery ticket I'd keep it for myself!" and that usually catches them off guard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set is stone cold.

Working Daze would like to remind you that CHARACTER has CHARACTERISTIC.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix just wants to make sure you're on the same page.

Cul-De-Sac gets the wheels turning.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Kennel posted:

Surgeon's Tales

And about loving time, took them long enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Christ, it's just a simple yes or no question. No wonder Fi looks so pissed off all the time.

Also if Dethany was actually a Millennial then she and Guy would have roomed together ages ago just to be able to afford a small apartment.