Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Joda posted:

What is the lifetime of a stack allocated exception? Until it hits a catch that doesn't rethrow it?

Implementation-defined. MSVC will copy the exception object at certain points, e.g. if you make an exception_ptr for it, but other compilers (when not targeting the MSVC ABI) will initialize a single exception object in dynamically-allocated memory.

When exception_ptr was being standardized there were people trying to get the committee to declare the non-MSVC behavior non-compliant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Sometimes that gets really counterintuitive to what you're taught in more abstract algorithm classes, however. O notation is asymptotic, which means strictly speaking, it only makes guarantees about the relation between different solutions as your problem gets larger and larger, but nothing about any particular finite problem space, or the specifics of a particular architecture. It doesn't capture that, say, the conditional and access pattern of binary search works against optimized processor behavior, so for values under a certain number of items, you're better off just using linear search.
I hear this.

Had to optimize startup time on a processor running in initial-rom mode where the only accessible memory was the on-chip sram. sram that became d/i cache once the system was loaded and the dram initialized.

During that startup phase, the SRAM was fast, the ROM was slow, and accessing the flash was glacial.

It was the initial read of the flash filesystem (logfs, or maybe whatever came before that) to get the per-system parameters for the dram so we could second-stage init. But since it was logfs, you couldn't read->seek, you had to read the entire flash chip to find the newest generation of each directory in the tree and the inode of the config.

It's astounding how many implementations of algorithms only count first-fetch as expensive, relying on cache for further comparisons inside the same loop. I think I ended up implementing a read-once mergesort that ran a few thousand times faster than quicksort.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
SQL code:
-- Description:	Function that will return the RouteID for a Customer
-- =============================================
Create FUNCTION [dbo].[udf_GetCalendar] 

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Airbus A350 software bug forces airlines to turn planes off and on every 149 hours

quote:

In a mandatory airworthiness directive (AD) reissued earlier this week, EASA urged operators to turn their A350s off and on again to prevent "partial or total loss of some avionics systems or functions".

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tangential: things I've never got: the need to have your computer on WHILE YOU'RE SLEEPING. Planes? Sure, especially the A350 which is designed to pretty much spend a vast majority of its life in the air (it's the 787 competitor, so mid to long haul flights) and pretty much go from city to city constantly.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Back when I did not have insanely fast internet, it was often simplest to just keep the PC on and let it download things overnight :shrug:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Xarn posted:

Back when I did not have insanely fast internet, it was often simplest to just keep the PC on and let it download things overnight :shrug:

That's one thing, but I'm talking in 2019.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Tangential: things I've never got: the need to have your computer on WHILE YOU'RE SLEEPING. Planes? Sure, especially the A350 which is designed to pretty much spend a vast majority of its life in the air (it's the 787 competitor, so mid to long haul flights) and pretty much go from city to city constantly.

On the other hand, I met a person once who was convinced that having a computer in your bedroom is bad because the RADIATION kills you in your sleep even if you turn the computer off at night.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

iospace posted:

Tangential: things I've never got: the need to have your computer on WHILE YOU'RE SLEEPING.
Look, when I wake up in the morning I don't want to wait out the minute of cold boot time. I have webs to surf, damnit.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

If your computer has an automatic sleep mode then why turn it off ever? It’s one less thing you have to manage.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

tankadillo posted:

If your computer has an automatic sleep mode then why turn it off ever? It’s one less thing you have to manage.

Because sleep/hibernate frequently gently caress up and require a hard reboot.

I mean, they mostly work, but I have one laptop with a dual GPU setup that won't wake up the screen about 1 out of every 10 sleeps. It's loving annoying.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

tankadillo posted:

I don't know about you, but I'm worried about potential power outages and irregularities, batteries burning if they're overcharged, and such, so I have everything connected through a surge protector strip, which I switch off before I go to bed/work.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

batteries burning if they're overcharged

Isn't that what the battery firmware is for, to ensure that they're not getting charged if they're full?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Volmarias posted:

Isn't that what the battery firmware is for, to ensure that they're not getting charged if they're full?

Not interested in coming back to/waking up in a flaming home as my first indication that their firmware has failed. :shrug:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Look, when I wake up in the morning I don't want to wait out the minute of cold boot time. I have webs to surf, damnit.

Get an SSD. This isn't snark, having an SSD is pretty nice.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

tankadillo posted:

If you have anything security-sensitive on your hard drive you should keep it powered off.

Plus, my 2007 ThinkPad can cold boot to xfce in less time it takes for my 2018 MacBook to wake from sleep.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Not interested in coming back to/waking up in a flaming home as my first indication that their firmware has failed. :shrug:

It's no longer 1994 my dude. If your battery's circuitry/onboard controller is in such a broken state that this can happen, it's already liable to incinerate itself while not plugged into the wall.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Firmware and operating systems could and should be written to handle being run continuously and being restarted continuously equally without complaint.

(no i don't work with embedded systems why do you ask??)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hammerite posted:

Get an SSD. This isn't snark, having an SSD is pretty nice.
Ah, but I pay the Apple tax for guaranteed non-upgradability.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Ah, but I pay the Apple tax for guaranteed non-upgradability.

well then get a real computer these are all problems that you can solve

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Doc Hawkins posted:

Firmware and operating systems could and should be written to handle being run continuously and being restarted continuously equally without complaint.

(no i don't work with embedded systems why do you ask??)

:hmmyes:

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

iospace posted:

Those torrents ain't gonna seed themselves

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I don't turn off my computer at night because I used to have reasons not to and now I don't really see a reason to start?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I turn everything off just for the peace of mind. No LEDs blinking at night, no fans whirring, no power surges, no IMs left in the background and all the updates run when they're supposed to.

Cold boot times haven't been an issue since SSDs were invented.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/voxel/status/1155349276509163520

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Phobeste posted:

My guy we're on a dead comedy forum you can lose the cut-rate William F. Buckley act

Ballsy way to say "oops I was wrong"

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Some people shutdown their computers other people don't. The important question is why would anyone give a poo poo what other people do either way?

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Some people shutdown their computers other people don't. The important question is why would anyone give a poo poo what other people do either way?

Leaving your PC on at night is the "standing up to wipe your arse" of the computer world.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I almost never power off my laptop even though I should, due to the coding horror that is my Lenovo drivers and Windows trying to work together. 1 in 10 times it won't wake up from sleep, holding the power button to reset it also resets some system settings.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I put my computer to sleep at night when I remember to. I did not remember to last night.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The paint has scraped off of the power button, exposing an LED with the intensity of the sun to my bedroom wall. I turn off my computer so that I can sleep, because I don't want to do something as simple as cover it with dark tape.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SupSuper posted:

Cold boot times haven't been an issue since SSDs were invented.

I have a pretty decent system with a pretty good SATA SSD (Samsung 860 Pro), and yeah sure the system boots in like 10 seconds.

But then it's several minutes of my IDE's loading, my 20+ little apps that make my computing a little easier loading into my system tray, arranging my windows and tabs how I like them...all while dealing with the slowdowns caused by all this stuff loading on boot.

(Though Autorun Organizer has made it much better than it used to be...it can stagger the startup of all these little apps I use)

On the one hand, it's only several minutes a day. On the other hand, it costs me a few bucks a month in electricity to save myself several minutes a day.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Since I bought my own house and therefore I started paying my own electricity bill, I turn off whatever doesn't need to be on. It's a few $. It's my few $.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Volmarias posted:

The paint has scraped off of the power button, exposing an LED with the intensity of the sun to my bedroom wall. I turn off my computer so that I can sleep, because I don't want to do something as simple as cover it with dark tape.

You could just unplug the LED from the motherboard, leaving it dangling doesn't affect anything. Same for the HDD LED.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Volguus posted:

Since I bought my own house and therefore I started paying my own electricity bill, I turn off whatever doesn't need to be on. It's a few $. It's my few $.

Unless you're unplugging the wall wart, you aren't saving power.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
I keep my computer on so I can play this noise and not have to listen to the ruckus outside while I sleep

https://mynoise.net/NoiseMachines/campingRainNoiseGenerator.php?l=35355555617474625535&m=&d=0

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Unless you're unplugging the wall wart, you aren't saving power.

Come again? This time with some data/conditions backing up your claim?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

"Aren't saving power" is inaccurate; my apology. "Are still consuming substantial power" is true. See here for one discussion.

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Aren't saving power" is inaccurate; my apology. "Are still consuming substantial power" is true. See here for one discussion.

My computer consumes about 200 watts when it is turned on (peaking at much more, of course). How much does it consume when it's off?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is false as well. From the article:

quote:

While adapters consume a modest amount of energy individually, the drain on power adds up.
Modest being the key word here.
Not to mention, this article is referring to power adapters, chargers and the like. I have a plain computer. Now, while I'm sure that the "off" consumption is not zero, it still cannot be at the 94W this article says that my CPU is consuming while idle. Of course, until proven wrong. If you can find an article out there that measured the wall consumption while the computer is off and found it to be near the consumption while being on (but idle), I will gladly concede.