Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I managed to beat that Pirate paralogue on the first try by just leaving Shamir in the base to snipe the wyverns as they came in. :shrug: That said, I couldn't oneshot any of them, so it sounds like it was on the verge of failure, then. Edelgard is just chumping on melee infantry units, meanwhile... watching some idiot bandit run up and hit her for zero damage, then take an axe to the face and go down in one hit never gets old.

Meanwhile, Hubert is a magical monster. He outclasses every other mage I have access to handily on attack magic alone, plus he can +4 Mag rally people. Good lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Can the game give you lost items for students that you can't recruit? I swear I've asked the entire school about this perfume bottle multiple times and nobody wants it.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Do the house routes differ in terms of combat maps? Like maybe Golden Deers will be filled with axe wielding enemies?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zore posted:

Even then his skill is only useful at the very beginning of the game/if you never give him any authority.

Battalions give might as well as other stats which completely replicates what his skill does and then some. Plus they're invaluable for the autobreak on monsters, even people not specc'd hard into authority have way more options when they can break monster armor and control aggro.

Classes are a bit hit or miss if they're worth it to master. Mastery just gets you a skill and for the low level classes its usually pretty filler/garbage. Once you get to the tier with Thieves/Mercenaries/Mages it can be worth it to start maxing them out.

The best skills I've found so far are Weight-5 from Fortress Knight, Vantage from Mercenary, and a really nice skill that gives magic might +6 when your unit initiates the attack from Warlock.

Fortress Knight has that as a class skill though, so it's not transferrable. Leveling Heavy Armor skill proficiency does gets you Weight -3 and Weight -5 as skills though, which seem pretty good for anyone if you can spare the time teaching someone it - particularly mages - since it's effectively +3/5 speed for anyone other than late-game characters with high strength. The lower one in particular seems reasonably doable for anyone with some effort, though the latter needing A+ probably puts it out of reach for most characters not already going down that path of classes.

I'm guessing they all stack too, though anyone in Fortress Knight probably doesn't really need -13 weight.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
So when I train my students I should go with the skills that have the three stars by them for the best long term results?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Jacco posted:

So when I train my students I should go with the skills that have the three stars by them for the best long term results?

No, because that's shoring up a weakness and a majority of the skills you learn from overcoming it are bad.

Don't raise a skill just because you may learn a skill from it.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Is Anna in this game, pals

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes. She is a merchant.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Tired Moritz posted:

Yes.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just started chapter 8, and drat Demitri, you might need to dial it back a bit :stare:

Does anyone have a handle on how easy it is to get Umbral Steel? I'm using my holy weapons sparingly like a smart boy, but it would be nice to know if I could be a touch more aggressive with them.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
oh god yes I'm hooked

First mock battle and I thought I was going to be shameful and have to restart the first fight. Nope. Hubert whips out a crit and removes Dedue in one go with 48 damage. I'd lost bernadette and sleepyboy and six enemies were still up and coming in close. Ahahaha.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Tae posted:

No, because that's shoring up a weakness and a majority of the skills you learn from overcoming it are bad.

Don't raise a skill just because you may learn a skill from it.

On the other hand, some of them are good, and if you're not looking up what they have it's impossible to tell. Like, a certain character who gets Soulblade can do an incredible amount of damage with it (particularly if you yank a certain sword), and Frozen Spear is basically the same.

And sometimes it's good to do so regardless, since it turns the skill into a strength - Sylvain for example certainly doesn't mind flipping reason to a strength, since it positions him pretty well for an end-game Dark Knight.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Honest Thief posted:

Do the house routes differ in terms of combat maps? Like maybe Golden Deers will be filled with axe wielding enemies?

Yes. Every route is different from the very start, they do not share maps.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
How has Bernie not dropped dead from a heart attack yet, every support I've done so far has her screaming in fear or just in general.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
What are people priotising on statue repair? Im beelining for riding/flying/heavy +2 first because there's no way of training those skills in combat.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Cattail Prophet posted:

Can the game give you lost items for students that you can't recruit? I swear I've asked the entire school about this perfume bottle multiple times and nobody wants it.

Yes. I think that belongs to Mercedes

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
God dammit, of course the one time I don't deploy Sylvain is when that jackass Death Knight shows up. Guy might hate his crest, but it lets him punch way above his weight class, and you better drat well be sure I'm putting it to good use.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

wuggles posted:

Yes. I think that belongs to Mercedes

i had to look that one up, it's hilda.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
I enjoy the Fire Emblem combat and progression but was never really a big fan of the relationship stuff and the "skits" and stories that went along with them and was expecting that to be the same here. Turns out I'm really into it and loads of characters that I wasn't in the least interested in when you get to go through them all early in the game I would now die for. A lot of the relationship skips have been genuinely funny and a couple of Lindhart's (who seems like such a bland and nothing character) have been lol moments for me. His burn on, ummm the hypercompetitive redhead lance guy, can't remember his name, along the lines of hey that's really interesting you should totally tell me about it sometime when I'm not walking away from you being a fave. Even some of the stuff that leans a little on creepy anime tropes seems to be doing it in a fairly endearing and self-aware way. The size of the castle, janky graphics and jerky movement etc doesn't even bother me and I'm actually not even using fast travel that much as I run around checking in on all my precious children, although I'm still fairly on so that may change.

I think one thing I really like is the relatively small rosters due to the house system, so even when I'm heading into combat it feels like the characters are more individual and distinct than in previous games.

Game good... so far.

e: The UI and menus are pretty terrible though, but that's nothing new. One question, if you're in combat and use the "Gambit" option, is there any way of actually seeing what that gambit does then and there? X doesn't seem to give any details like it does on a lot of other menu items and it feels like I just have to remember them by name, unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible).

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm still early in the game, running my first monthly quest. Is Permadeath active now? I've restarted once, rewound once to save someone, but I figured I should ask.

I'm currently playing on Hard and it's my first FE. I may switch to Normal if I run up against a wall.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

This is a totally anecdotal complaint but man I feel like I'm getting totally hosed on level-up stat gain. I haven't seen more than three stats per level yet, and I'm to the point where if I gain a level up on the first turn of a mission and I don't get more than two stat points I soft reset because it's happening so often. It wouldn't be so bad if it were like STR/SPD or something, but it's almost always HP and Charisma or something

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My biggest complaint about the game is the gender restrictions, really. I'm not so miffed about pegasus knights being gender locked, that's a mythos/running series thing, but dark mages being locked in a game where most of the casters seem to be women is annoying.

Fliers are a little weird, too. The only "natural" ones are Petra, Ingrid, and Claude, with only Ingrid being more typical peggy and the other two being typical wyverns. Marianne could in theory go pegasus but her statline for it kinda blows and she's also the resident healbot ascendant.

Now of course you can do whatev, heck you can do axe wielding pegasus folks for maximum blaspheme, but they do seem weirdly unsupported.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm still early in the game, running my first monthly quest. Is Permadeath active now? I've restarted once, rewound once to save someone, but I figured I should ask.

I'm currently playing on Hard and it's my first FE. I may switch to Normal if I run up against a wall.

yea it's apparently on even with weird not-so-bad death quotes

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea it's apparently on even with weird not-so-bad death quotes

Thanks. The quotes were weirding me out, seemed out of character with what was possibly happening.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I just did ingrid/dorathea paralogue. First time using a flier, and good god I don't see how fliers are worth it in Archer Emblem: Three Arrows everywhere with massive ranges.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
How useful are thieves in this? I'm at chapter 6 and I'm considering making Petra one, she is tied for the highest speed out of my party currently despite being 4 levels lower then Edelgard. She seems natural to be a wyvern rider, but that speed growth though.

E: Also with what that goon up there ^ posted, makes me hesitant to go with fliers.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I'm amused that Sylvain has the lowest stat total in my army by 10 - 15 points, but he scores MVP every time I deploy him.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I feel that Thieves are useful since they’re a free unlock for any chest or door and that saves money. Plus they look cool, I’m having Petra track into Assassin

I’ve managed to promote everyone except Bernie into a beginner class and I feel like a failure :negative:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I had the same issue in the same paralogue, with Ingrid just becoming a peg rider. She spent most of the map flying away from everything and still got shot pretty nicely.

I haven't noticed any use for thieves this far since you can just buy a bunch of keys and get them from convoy when needed.

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Inflammatory posted:

i had to look that one up, it's hilda.

Oh that’s right. I tried my answer first, got it wrong, and then trial-and-error’d it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

not a bot posted:

I had the same issue in the same paralogue, with Ingrid just becoming a peg rider. She spent most of the map flying away from everything and still got shot pretty nicely.

I haven't noticed any use for thieves this far since you can just buy a bunch of keys and get them from convoy when needed.

if it's an archer heavy map you could just reclass someone on the fly

once you do the certification it's whatev.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

I feel that Thieves are useful since they’re a free unlock for any chest or door and that saves money. Plus they look cool, I’m having Petra track into Assassin

I’ve managed to promote everyone except Bernie into a beginner class and I feel like a failure :negative:

I forgot to promote Raphael out of commoner until he was level 10. no wonder he had speed problems!!!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
also, from now on I want all games to have a tea party minigame

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I got the game digitally and I'm wondering if data loading issues are common for anyone else, basically if I'm quick enough I can get to dialogs where the portraits don't load instantly, or characters during battle move their mouths during certain skills but no voice line gets played.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i'm on physical and occasionally there'll be points where i don't see a portrait for like a split second

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Can fliers dismount like horse units? If so just do that when near archers. I've got one peg and one wyvern and I haven't had any trouble with arrows taking them out. They have been pretty key in a few of the maps with timed extra objectives.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regarding thieves, does Steal targeting a "non-weapon" allow them to steal equipped stuff like shields? Because that's a potential legitimate reason to keep one around. If not, I kind of agree that they're not terribly necessary - particularly if you pick Blue Lions or poach Ashe.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

i'm on physical and occasionally there'll be points where i don't see a portrait for like a split second

Guess it's another performance related issue theh, like how the monastery can chug the framerate.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

I got the game digitally and I'm wondering if data loading issues are common for anyone else, basically if I'm quick enough I can get to dialogs where the portraits don't load instantly, or characters during battle move their mouths during certain skills but no voice line gets played.

a few people have reported it here and there, but I think with both copies. It's a pretty rare complaint tho, so I think it might be more hardware related. That said, game is not well optimized under the hood, so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
I got a digital version as well but haven't had any kind of problems. Possibly issues with your Switch?