Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LochNessMonster posted:

Congratulations! What did you do and what are you going to do?

Cisco. Worked for a VAR, now going to a private organization. No more billable hours!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Defenestrategy posted:

I have been tasked with stocking laptop chargers for guests to use when theirs inevitably are broken/lost/forgotten/what ever.

Does anyone have a good solution beyond just buying a bunch of common plugs/power ratings? The universal ones I've seen all seem pretty sketch by design and seem to be more used for "does this laptop turn on" diagnostics rather than actually charging a laptop for an extended period of time.

Submit a PDF of your Amazon cart with every adapter they sell added to it over to the person who asked you to do this and when they tell you how ridiculous that is, agree and close the ticket.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Carry your charger around with you" shouldn't really be such a high bar, especially if you are visiting someone to try and sell to them. I can see the argument for keeping spares for your standard laptop models, but trying to cover everything that could walk in the door is ridiculous.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I used a universal charger as my daily charger for a T430 for years without issue. That thing must have come with 30 different adapters too. Only used it to change somebody else's Dell once but it worked fine. I don't remember the brand though so this is, as always, a pretty useless post.

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
Stock up on usb-c laptop chargers and tell people who need something else to get out of the past.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This probably isn’t an awful product

https://us.targus.com/products/90w-ac-universal-laptop-charger-apa31us

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Comradephate posted:

Stock up on usb-c laptop chargers and tell people who need something else to get out of the past.

That doesn't work for those of us who have workstation-class machines though :smith:

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

kensei posted:

Submit a PDF of your Amazon cart with every adapter they sell added to it over to the person who asked you to do this and when they tell you how ridiculous that is, agree and close the ticket.

Man, I have so much to learn about IT.

Thanks Ants posted:

I can see the argument for keeping spares for your standard laptop models, but trying to cover everything that could walk in the door is ridiculous.

We keep a couple of spares for our laptop models.
It's clients. They treat them like kings and expect us to wear pants when they're around.

This looks good, most of the universal ones I see have reviews such as "Killed my battery" or "The brick gets super hot and it's concerning." Although how much of that is genuine, I don't know, but I feel like I might have to sacrifice one of our laptops in testing.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 27, 2019

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Charges IBM, just in case you're using an 11 year old Thinkpad.

I know its the same voltage and connector that Lenovo Thinkpads used until a few years ago.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Methanar posted:

code:
for i in $(knife node list | grep role ); do 
  scp ./script.sh ubuntu@$i:/opt/script.sh
  ssh ubuntu@$i  'bash -x /opt/script.sh'
done 
lol if you drink redhat's koolaid

wake up sheeple

You didn’t use cssh or parallel. You fail.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

jaegerx posted:

You didn’t use cssh or parallel. You fail.

Clearly somebody didn't look at version 2

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I wrote a bunch of ansible playbooks and tasks to do something once

then I got the shits after I was finished because it was god-awful so I replaced it with an equivalent of methanars thing and it was way better. Ansible is not good imo

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Ansible is great if you have a lot of projects and need consistent CI/CD harnesses and primitives to handle deploys, but it's not super valuable if you just have like a dozen system automation tasks

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Vulture Culture posted:

Ansible is great if you have a lot of projects and need consistent CI/CD harnesses and primitives to handle deploys, but it's not super valuable if you just have like a dozen system automation tasks

Yeah we use it to deploy our software and its good. They're trying to get us to use it to upgrade said software and :lol:

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice
at $job-1 we had to use ansible to deploy new customers, and things like application version upgrades because it was decreed that whatever we did had to be push rather than pull or agent-based.

Ask me about playbooks with literally 80 pieces of human input required to run because what even is a CMDB

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Comradephate posted:

at $job-1 we had to use ansible to deploy new customers, and things like application version upgrades because it was decreed that whatever we did had to be push rather than pull or agent-based.

Ask me about playbooks with literally 80 pieces of human input required to run because what even is a CMDB

Uhhh, couldn't you do that with the inventory?

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The biggest ansible detriment imo is that it's really easy to write bad ansible, and the tool is so simple to use fundamentally that it's easy to go "oh, that's it?" and completely miss an entire half of the feature base like "the inventory".

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

PBS posted:

Uhhh, couldn't you do that with the inventory?

The inventory was dynamically generated from four different places, so there would need to be a stateful place to put the config data. I know that it's not that hard to stand up a crappy API and a mysql database, but that's only valuable if the support engineers are willing to actually put data in the config database, which they were not.

To give you some insight into how not open to automation this team was when I joined, they were spending 40-50 human hours to bring up a new customer's environment, every time. Each environment was like, <20 hosts

Convincing people to put their poo poo in github was also a huge fight.

Also we weren't allowed to have a persistent connection into AWS environments, so I made an ansible connection plugin that used ec2 run-command and pretended to be SSH. Would be so easy now with session manager. :(

Comradephate fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jul 28, 2019

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Comradephate posted:

The inventory was dynamically generated from four different places, so there would need to be a stateful place to put the config data. I know that it's not that hard to stand up a crappy API and a mysql database, but that's only valuable if the support engineers are willing to actually put data in the config database, which they were not.

To give you some insight into how not open to automation this team was when I joined, they were spending 40-50 human hours to bring up a new customer's environment, every time. Each environment was like, <20 hosts

Convincing people to put their poo poo in github was also a huge fight.

Also we weren't allowed to have a persistent connection into AWS environments, so I made an ansible connection plugin that used ec2 run-command and pretended to be SSH. Would be so easy now with session manager. :(

:negative:

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
At my previous job we had puppet managing everything we could but there were a few things that required too much cross-machine/service coordination to do reliably in Puppet. Mainly secrets rotation for service accounts. Since nobody wanted to work on Sundays to rotate accounts every 45 days (CIO policy decree) we did everything Fabric: http://www.fabfile.org/ and could rotate secrets in a shitload of crazy legacy applications, ERP DBs, etc etc reliably in < 10m during business hours.

Plus is played nicely w/ source control since we could keep all the scripts that actually run on hosts in Gitlab and the Fabric scripts would be sure to pull the newest copy etc.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

JehovahsWetness posted:

At my previous job we had puppet managing everything we could but there were a few things that required too much cross-machine/service coordination to do reliably in Puppet. Mainly secrets rotation for service accounts. Since nobody wanted to work on Sundays to rotate accounts every 45 days (CIO policy decree) we did everything Fabric: http://www.fabfile.org/ and could rotate secrets in a shitload of crazy legacy applications, ERP DBs, etc etc reliably in < 10m during business hours.

Plus is played nicely w/ source control since we could keep all the scripts that actually run on hosts in Gitlab and the Fabric scripts would be sure to pull the newest copy etc.
The guy behind Fabric is a goon (bitprophet), though he doesn't post here a ton anymore

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
I worked at a place where we used exclusively Dell. We were phasing in a new ERP system, so we had an army of businesschildren consultants descend upon us to bill hours, and they all had Lenovos. On a daily basis for the next six months I had to tell people who did not work at my workplace that no, we do not have Lenovo chargers for you when you forget the one your own job gave you.

You all know that if we did have Lenovo chargers, not a single one would be returned after being "borrowed".

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Woo woo! Hold onto your butts boys it's going to be a bumpy ride! :yotj:

Last week our boss decided to call it quits, and considering her job role being the glue between business and corporate and the avalanche of poo poo being brought down upon her... anyone capable gave a swift "gently caress that noise" to the thought of taking over, and most of the team have their hands ready on the ejector seat to punch out.
Personally I'm going to be busy with a new kid on the way, but it'll be interesting to see if they'll bring in a replacement (which means a multi-month project freeze and reorganisation merry-go-round) or we'll be assimilated into the Borg (Accenture are already on the board doing things, mostly being useless).

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just start working on getting out now. Then again I’m 3/3 on previous jobs where a good boss left and a lovely one was brought in as a replacement.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Slack, which is a thing no one had heard of 2 years ago, is down, and has brought all productivity in our organization down with it. Our society really is doomed.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Time to install a local ircd.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Slack, which is a thing no one had heard of 2 years ago, is down, and has brought all productivity in our organization down with it. Our society really is doomed.

Same, IT can no longer be contacted, because everyone uses #itsupport instead of submitting tickets. :shrug:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Same, IT can no longer be contacted, because everyone uses #itsupport instead of submitting tickets. :shrug:

Working as intended

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

How many executives are now yelling at their IT staff because the cloud was suppose to mean no downtime????

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My first day and this company only uses slack so that was cool.

Also this company has a drip coffee machine instead of K Cups or a Starbucks machine, how barbaric

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Can't wait for all the posts about how their on prem solution never went down or had problems.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't even mind on prem vs cloud, I'm just more concerned that we can't even figure out how to communicate without this particular tool. It'd be like if you parked your car for the rest of the summer because the passenger side sun visor won't stay up. Sure, fix it, but in the interim, it's still a car. But yeah no, Slack is down, let's refuse to get anything done until I can type in a chat room instead of an email or Teams or pick up a phone.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

It's clients. They treat them like kings and expect us to wear pants when they're around.

Mods?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

evobatman posted:

I worked at a place where we used exclusively Dell. We were phasing in a new ERP system, so we had an army of businesschildren consultants descend upon us to bill hours, and they all had Lenovos. On a daily basis for the next six months I had to tell people who did not work at my workplace that no, we do not have Lenovo chargers for you when you forget the one your own job gave you.

You all know that if we did have Lenovo chargers, not a single one would be returned after being "borrowed".

"Y'know, we used to have some around here. I guess they got loaned out to people who forgot their chargers and never returned them. I'd check the log sheet of who took them, but it doesn't exist. Oh well!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
People kept stealing our HDMI cables out of conference rooms and it was mostly outside consultants or vendors. I've seen some companies start using Chromecasts or AppleTVs to help stop this.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bonzo posted:

People kept stealing our HDMI cables out of conference rooms and it was mostly outside consultants or vendors. I've seen some companies start using Chromecasts or AppleTVs to help stop this.

We are currently testing Mimecast for exactly this purpose as well.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Presume you mean Miracast

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bonzo posted:

Wizard of the Deep posted:

"Y'know, we used to have some around here. I guess they got loaned out to people who forgot their chargers and never returned them. I'd check the log sheet of who took them, but it doesn't exist. Oh well!"

People stealing from conference rooms is just a given. Unless you put cameras there, its impossible to stop. You just have to write off the expense and keep extras available.

Nothing is safe that a personal can reasonably lift. We have even had employees take chairs out of conference rooms because their brains are broken.

Last week I brought a box of tissues into our conference room located next to my teams. Lots of allergies going on right now and its helped for meetings. A lady from another department just seemingly walked by my office and I noticed her holding my box of tissues. She couldn't give me a reason for taking them other than her nose was runny. She isn't even in my department.

She looked at me like how dare I have the gall to not let her steal.

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
Does anyone here support Neuro work bench or EEG viewing apps by Nihon Kohden?

This things a loving expensive turd and I'm working on troubleshooting performance issues with it and am working on a hope and a loving prayer at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone ever taken a job that was a step down in terms of responsibility and expected knowledge but was actually a pay bump? I'm a senior network engineer (only 1 junior) and did network design here too. a recruiter sent me a job that's double what I make now, and besides the tech they use doesn't say much other than "Work as a 3rd line Network Operations Engineer with a progression route into the Network Design team." and "Opportunity to work alongside and learn from senior engineers". Sounds like It'd just be staring at Orion all day and probably doing tickets all day, which would be boring as gently caress, but that pay bump though...