Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

I'm the 23 spell Delver deck splashing Angler and no other black cards.

i'm the swords to plowshares in the daze/delver deck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/EdgarMTG/status/1148284547156647936

Is this good? Deck seems good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

He streamed it that same night and went 0-4 lol

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
...I really like that deck though...might build a EDH variant.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've never seen such a deck so I'm willing to reserve judgment but I do have a strong opinion on the sideboard(it sucks)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

That deck is loving saturated with nonsense

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

That deck is loving saturated with nonsense

its filled with poo poo I actually ran decks around. (resurgence/ smokebraider / fulminator/) I can break up my allies deck for the part I'm pretty close to being able to make this right now actually between my allies and living end decks.

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I have....nothing from that deck except the reefs and a single cavern. I see lots of nonsense going on, but where the payoff?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Valicious posted:

I have....nothing from that deck except the reefs and a single cavern. I see lots of nonsense going on, but where the payoff?

Who needs a payoff when youre having fun goin 0-4?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Valicious posted:

Buying every Flamekin Harbinger on the planet, posting a list, and then selling the Harbingers off and retiring to a nice island somewhere. Which is why it's so hilarious that he got smoked in the first league he played with the deck.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

So it turns out Wrenn and Six is really good in legacy

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Skyl3lazer posted:

So good. So insanely good

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Skyl3lazer posted:

The Crucible Kids do well in the format where Wasteland is legal???

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’m going to be sleeving up Etron for GP Minneapolis, and I am still very much learning the deck though. I’m thinking of running this list, and would appreciate feedback.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22514&f=MO

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 4’d a modern open with bant spirits today. Unsettled mariner is a hosed up card.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

Top 4’d a modern open with bant spirits today. Unsettled mariner is a hosed up card.

Are you the guy who just posted about it in the Spirits FB group lol

Also, how many Mariner? I have two that I'm not using and have been trying to think of where to squeeze them into the deck.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Man. I love that 4c Pile is back in legacy. I say this as a former 4c pile player. Yes my opinion is biased

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Walked posted:

Man. I love that 4c Pile is back in legacy. I say this as a former 4c pile player. Yes my opinion is biased

Nothing has ever made me want to play it less. Now instead of a pseudo-planeswalker fueling every midrange trash pile, it's an actual planeswalker.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

Are you the guy who just posted about it in the Spirits FB group lol

Also, how many Mariner? I have two that I'm not using and have been trying to think of where to squeeze them into the deck.

Yeah that’s me. I’m one of the lags admins as well lmao.

3 mariner seemed very good

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Nice, I'm one Mariner shy of having your list so I might try that out for a while.

How was the singleton Teferi? I've been wanting to try that for a while but haven't known what to cut for it. Going down to 2 Deputy to make room for one seems reasonable.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

suicidesteve posted:

Nothing has ever made me want to play it less. Now instead of a pseudo-planeswalker fueling every midrange trash pile, it's an actual planeswalker.

It rules that the card is RG and that's not even a problem for blue decks to splash for it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It rules that the card is RG and that's not even a problem for blue decks to splash for it.

:hmmyes:

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

What nightmare pile is this?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

What nightmare pile is this?

It's exactly what it looks like. Miracles and Six.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Valicious posted:

I’m going to be sleeving up Etron for GP Minneapolis, and I am still very much learning the deck though. I’m thinking of running this list, and would appreciate feedback.
https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=22514&f=MO
List looks solid. It's a very stock list, but in a good way. I prefer running Sorcerous Spyglass over Pithing Needle because of chalice. I'm also a big fan of Warping Wail because of its versatility, and run it instead of the two Spatial Contortions in the side.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Supreme blue is back!!!

I think one of my favorite moments of him testing this deck was when he had all his terminuses stuck in his hand and didn't have the white sources or brainstorms to put them back into his deck.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Gives a bad name to us RG mages trying to recur a ghost quarter every turn

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Bringing U/W to a 5K next week, haven’t played in ages, anyone have any pointers or advice for the deck?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

TheKingofSprings posted:

Bringing U/W to a 5K next week, haven’t played in ages, anyone have any pointers or advice for the deck?

Maindeck Rest in Peace.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Goddamn bw tokens is a middle of the road deck. It'll never be enough to top 8 a real event, but it definitely won't finish last.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Stop playing decks where you think you have any agency.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ilmucche posted:

Goddamn bw tokens is a middle of the road deck. It'll never be enough to top 8 a real event, but it definitely won't finish last.

Arrested development narrator: It finished last.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

2 Plague Engineer
2 Choke
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Collective Brutality
2 Ancient Grudge
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Surgical Extraction

If I knew that Tron was not going to be a presence at an upcoming MCQ, and that UW control would take up around 1/3 of the field, would this work? I've decided to just say I'm losing to Tron.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

2 Plague Engineer
2 Choke
1 Thrun, the Last Troll
2 Collective Brutality
2 Ancient Grudge
4 Leyline of the Void
2 Surgical Extraction

If I knew that Tron was not going to be a presence at an upcoming MCQ, and that UW control would take up around 1/3 of the field, would this work? I've decided to just say I'm losing to Tron.

I think choke is too cute, but that looks fine. If you think valakut will be present, consider fulminator mage as that also has some game against UW. Lots of humans, try lili last hope instead. There are just way too many non-island blue sources that every deck plays now I fear choke isn’t great. I would be scared that thrun kinda stinks outside the UW matchup but if you say it will be 1/3 of the field then it’s probably a good hedge.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Lawnie posted:

I think choke is too cute, but that looks fine. If you think valakut will be present, consider fulminator mage as that also has some game against UW. Lots of humans, try lili last hope instead. There are just way too many non-island blue sources that every deck plays now I fear choke isn’t great. I would be scared that thrun kinda stinks outside the UW matchup but if you say it will be 1/3 of the field then it’s probably a good hedge.

:same:

I played choke in my Jund sideboard, but aside from severely trolling that one guy playing Merfolk, it hasn't done much now that UR decks just always draw all 4 of their Spirebluff Canals and the new horizon land they got. UW you're better off just bringing in your Fulminators anyway to take out their Colonnades; I win a lot of games just keeping them off triple blue or short of 4-5 mana for planeswalkers that way.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

4/0d modern tonight with this pile.

There's some weird choices in there, mostly either from vanity or from seeing 2 elves, 2 goblins, and 3 UWx control among 9 people in the time before we started. You see, Jace is a foil. Venser is a Japanese foil. Wall of Blossoms is because I didn't own Wall of Omens. I also think the deck generally just wants green mana more early. Cataclysmic Gearhulk seemed good against a bunch of go-wide decks like Goblins and Elves. That last sentence is called foreshadowing. Chekhov's Gearhulk.

Match 1 against elves, I used my turn 2 Deputy of Detention to eat his turn 2 Elvish Archdruid. Then I played a Soulherder and got his turn 3 Archdruid as well and he never really recovered from being under the abyss.

+Winds
+Deputy
+2 Gearhulk

-4 Force

Game 2 I died on turn 3 after mulling to 4, in a game I could have won with turn 4 overloaded Winds of Abandon if all 5 of the lands I'd drawn hadn't been fetches.

Game 3 I absolutely ruined his mull to 6 with a turn 5 Cataclysmic Gearhulk keeping my Deputy on his Archdruid and the Gearhulk, losing a Hierarch and a Mulldrifter I'd Ephemerated into play (I can't recommend doing this enough) while leaving him a Llanowar Elf and 4 dead creatures. I had removal for the few creatures that mattered, plus Witnesses for days to get it back. On turn 5 I evoked Mulldrifter, Ephemerated it, and Pathed his Ezuri with an Eternal Witness in play to get Ephemerate and Path back on my next turn.

Match 2 against Tron I drew a million lands and like 4 spells game 1, and still would have won if he'd played a little less conservatively (he played an Oblivion Stone with 2 mana floating plus 3 in play, and if he hadn't cracked it right there I had the Knight to blow it up.

+ Rejection
+Stroke
+Pridemage
+2 Stony
+2 Knight
+Slimeball

-4 Coatl
-Wall of Blossoms
-2 Path
-Deputy

Game 2 his hand of 2 tron lands, green cards, sphere, star + sphere lined up poorly against my hand of turn 2 Stony Silence plus a bunch of creatures.

Game 3 I Forced an early Scrying, Tron hit its fail rate, and I had a Stony on turn 2 just in case it hadn't.

Match 3 against the pseudo mirror with Stoneforges and Aether Vials. I mull to 6 and have 1 land and 1 Hierarch for the first 4 turns. He has Mystic into Mariner into Stoneforge into Hardcast Batterskull after I Path his Stoneforge. Eventually I started drawing lands and was, after a LOT of chumping and wheel-spinning and nonsense, able to draw a Force of Negation around 25 cards into my deck, and catch his Batterskull on its way down for the 5thish time. Mariner was insanely annoying in this game. I had the Knight for his Batterskull the first time he cast it but not the 4th mana to pay for the trigger, otherwise this game wouldn't have been close. Eventually I assembled a large Soulherder while blowing up his equipment thanks to the Knight, and after seeing about 2/3 of my deck I find my first copy of Eternal Witness to assemble a Time Warp loop.

+Pridemage
+Winds
+2 Knight
+Slimeball

-4 Force
-Wall of Blossoms

Game 2 he led with a Vial but was a pretty similar story. He had a bunch of dead cards in his deck in Stoneforge, equipment, and Vials and I didn't. My turns were something like Hierarch, Path your Stoneforge, Knight your Batterskull (he had a turn 1 Hierarch to cast it on 4,) Soulherder make Knight a 4/3, Slimeball blow up your Sword of Feast and Famine, Soulherder it to blow up the Vial (which an observer VERY HELPFULLY reminded him of the Mariner trigger to save it,) and it really wasn't a game from there. Eventually I EOT Time Warped with Teferi and locked him out again with Witness + Soulherder.

Match 4 against UR TAKING TURNS???!!! We split and played for the extra pack. Game 1 nothing really happened and he died.

+Veil
+Stroke
+Slimeball

-2 Ephemerate
-Deputy

It looked like he only had a few win conditions in Cliques and Snapcasters so I left my Paths in to make it really hard for him to go off.

Game 2 I drew a ton of lands and died.

+2 Ephemerate (I'd spent the entire game 2 wishing I'd draw a copy of it and never did.)
-Wall
-Path

Game 3 I kept 3 lands, 3 spells, drew 9 lands and 1 spell, and still pulled it off. Turns out when your deck runs out of lands to draw, it becomes a lot more powerful if you're still alive. The key play was on my turn 3 after I'd played turn 2 Soulherder. I played Oracle, hit a fetch, fetched, and attacked him for 3 with the Herder, hoping to make him think I had a followup. The plan was to bait him into waiting on the Bolt I assumed he he had until after combat. He did, and on my 2nd main Bolted my 3/3 Soulherder... which suddenly became a 4/4 after my Hierarch went farming. Oracle got flickered, he didn't have the 2nd Bolt to kill it on the last turn it would spend as a 3/3, and I drew no more spells for about 7 turns. Fortunately he was missing a few land drops, even resorting to activating his Mikokoro to hit them. I Vensered his Mikokoro EOT when he was up to 6 lands, he chumped my giant Soulherder, untapped and Anger of the Godsed away 4 of my creatures plus his Snapcaster, making an 11/11 Soulherder against his 13 life. He neglected to Abrade my Soulherder in response to the triggers (although he was in very bad shape at this point anyway as I had run out of lands to draw.) I missed on my ~8 outer (2 Paths, 4 Ephemerate, 2 Eternal Witness) to combine with my Eternal Witness and Coiling Oracle in hand to make the Soulherder lethal but did draw Force, Oracle into Oracle into Oracle (making sure to tap badly so I couldn't play the 3rd Oracle and hold Force up.) He went to 2 and Force on his Temporal Mastery was GG.

Apparently I'm the first person there to pull off the 4/0 with this deck, thus continuing my stretch of to modern once a year, playing a deck I've never played before, and absolutely crushing.

I got some random stuff with my winnings, plus a pack of Horizons and WAR that were both trash.

As for changes, basic plains SUCKED SO MUCH SERIOUSLY I CAN'T SAY ENOUGH HOW MUCH I HATED IT. So I'll probably cut one for a Canopy Vista. Double Gearhulk probably isn't necessary but it depends on what you're expecting. The deck really can be tailored to beat what you want to beat. Moving Winds to the main doesn't seem unreasonable in grindfest the format. I'd love to find room for a Reveillark. I'm really not in love with Wall of Blossoms so I might try that switch. Flicker Lark, get back Venser, bounce Lark sounds absolutely filthy. A 2nd Knight in the main would also be nice. I'd also like to try a 5 mana Avacyn somewhere in the 75. I honestly don't think the deck needs Jace. Ephemerate seemed great but I think I drew it twice, not counting the one game where it finally showed up to set up a Witness + Time Warp loop.

Also worth noting that in almost every game I played that lasted more than a few turns, my land:spell ratio was pretty close to or over 2. It was pretty annoying. I don't know if I got spectacularly unlucky (how unusual!) or if the deck needs -1 land or what. Twice I had 1 mana producing land and around 4 fetches left in my deck. The last game I played, I had almost 40 cards left in my deck and only 5 were lands.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

lol Venser isn't even Future Sight foil, what a scrub

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Lands friends: i finally got my last mox diamond so i can play this

are we off the white splash? is field of the dead just the thing to be doing now?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

Lands friends: i finally got my last mox diamond so i can play this

are we off the white splash? is field of the dead just the thing to be doing now?

Hell yeah

I don't know if anyone was super into the white splash; blue for EE/Academy Ruins or black for Abrupt Decay/Leylines were more common. But we've gotten so many new toys lately between Wrenn & Six, Force of Vigor, Elvish Reclaimer, Blast Zone, Field of the Dead, and soon Once Upon a Time. There's basically no need to splash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
So who's going to GP Atlanta next weekend?