Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did they have Judges at the Mythic Arena events?

Lol at the Legion Warboss bug that made it so players still had to verbally announce they were going to cast it, and when someone didn't, they had to figure out how to make things work with a client that was unable to roll back the game state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The idea that paper magic would be phased out at higher level events is kinda sad, but also is pretty good. It opens the events up to even more people but it will also make the paper get more casual and hopefully cheaper.

Also wizards please take an idea from pokemon and put pack codes in every irl pack!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Have we talked about this awful judge call yet?

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1155473948508905473

(Read the thread)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

(Read the thread)

This is why judges should pay for the privilege, these volunteers are just in it for the packs.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Elblanco posted:

The idea that paper magic would be phased out at higher level events is kinda sad, but also is pretty good. It opens the events up to even more people but it will also make the paper get more casual and hopefully cheaper.

Also wizards please take an idea from pokemon and put pack codes in every irl pack!

If they want to put Modern into Arena, then hell yeah let's move competitive play to Arena!

But they never will, so keep paper play. I say this as someone who's attended one event at a venue larger than an LGS (and only went to go shoot the poo poo with another goon, whatup tonetta)

oryx
Nov 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

(Read the thread)

Did I miss some judging change that makes this okay? That just seems counter to how I've seen high REL operating.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Wow I'm not even super familiar with those cards (I had to look them up to see what they did) but goddamn even I know that you can't just arbitrarily change targets of a spell like that. That would be like casting deathtouch on a creature with protection from black, then being like "Oops" and then selecting a different target.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

oryx posted:

Did I miss some judging change that makes this okay? That just seems counter to how I've seen high REL operating.

It's 100% wrong. The idea is you can make a play and immediately take it back. For example, if the opponent had said "blow up my land, wait no your island" that would have been fine. Putting the lands in the graveyard would already have been too much to back it up IMO, never mind gaining the information that you punted horribly.

SalTheBard posted:

Wow I'm not even super familiar with those cards (I had to look them up to see what they did) but goddamn even I know that you can't just arbitrarily change targets of a spell like that. That would be like casting deathtouch on a creature with protection from black, then being like "Oops" and then selecting a different target.

I'm assuming you mean a black spell that means deathtouch? Because if so, that exactly what would happen if it was caught immediately. They can't just force you to cast a spell if its targets were illegal.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jul 28, 2019

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

oryx posted:

The call is definitely terrible, but it is made even worse when the player lies to the judge and it is confirmed by witnesses that he lied to the judge and nothing happens. Sounds like a case of the judges being friends with the ghost quarter player to me.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

C-Euro posted:

If they want to put Modern into Arena, then hell yeah let's move competitive play to Arena!

But they never will, so keep paper play. I say this as someone who's attended one event at a venue larger than an LGS (and only went to go shoot the poo poo with another goon, whatup tonetta)

The new non rotating format slotted to go active on Arena in the fall will probably replace Modern once it has another year or two of sets in the bin. In the meantime they seem to be fine letting paper competitive events larger than FNMs or prereleases and smaller than Magic Fests die through attrition and lack of support.

Arena just makes it too easy to hold and view competitive events and it's doing too well for them to not push as the main platform.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Wow, that situation is completely BS.

SalTheBard posted:

This is completely different, because that's an illegal target. This was a completely legal line of play that didn't do what the player wanted. Judges are not there to make sure you don't screw up.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Some Numbers posted:

Wow, that situation is completely BS.

This is completely different, because that's an illegal target. This was a completely legal line of play that didn't do what the player wanted. Judges are not there to make sure you don't screw up.

Haha bad comparison sorry!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The take back rule has been around a while now and i said it sucked when it was implemented and it sucks now.

Has no place in comp rel.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dehtraen posted:

The call is definitely terrible, but it is made even worse when the player lies to the judge and it is confirmed by witnesses that he lied to the judge and nothing happens. Sounds like a case of the judges being friends with the ghost quarter player to me.

Yeah this is completely hosed up

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

LifeLynx posted:

Arena requires no staff to run beyond an IT team and intern programmers, so it's perfect for them.

The rest of your post was good and informative but don't be an ignorant chode about how difficult/expensive it is to build and maintain software, especially software used by such a large population.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

The rest of your post was good and informative but don't be an ignorant chode about how difficult/expensive it is to build and maintain software, especially software used by such a large population.

You need to be less mad about obvious sarcasm.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
We've come a long way from "do you have any fast effects" being a tournament losing blunder

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

lmao that’s gotta be a relatively recent change. I used to sweat about rewinding the combat damage step because someone didn’t explicitly declare damage order on blockers

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is it worth building a BG Rock deck? I want to get into modern because that’s unfortunately what everyone plays around here.

I have 3 tarmogoyfs and 1 verdant catacomb. So I would need 3 more and dark confidants. How vital to the deck are the Lilliana’s?

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sickening posted:

You need to be less mad about obvious sarcasm.

Apologies, "intern programmers lol" is a pet peeve for me, mostly thrown around by people who have no idea what it takes to build software other than "something something servers", and I hear the sentiment thrown around plenty enough without sarcasm that it's hard to tell whether he was serious or not.

Arena is a big moneymaker for Wizards, but I'm sure that the "I" in ROI was far from negligible.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

The American Dream posted:

Is it worth building a BG Rock deck? I want to get into modern because that’s unfortunately what everyone plays around here.

I have 3 tarmogoyfs and 1 verdant catacomb. So I would need 3 more and dark confidants. How vital to the deck are the Lilliana’s?

They're key and you're probably $1000 away from a good deck.

Went 12-3 in the GP today, lost the last round for top 8/MCQ invite unfortunately. Still my best result so far and cashing a GP feels pretty good. Also lol that I still get 3 now-useless pro points for this (I think?)

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

I'd hold off on the last goyf if I could help it. They aren't that great anymore, and their price is just slipping by the week. Take it as whatever you want that a creature as easily big at 2 CMC as a goyf is now marginal.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

(Read the thread)

Maybe I'm bad at Twitter but usually the thread is in the replies, but I can't see them? I'm in Android.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LifeLynx posted:

Maybe I'm bad at Twitter but usually the thread is in the replies, but I can't see them? I'm in Android.

She deleted it because she was wrong.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Kurieg posted:

It's still there.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I think Jund is accepted as the best version of that deck right now, so I hope you have some copies of Wrenn and Six already. Straight BG is seeing some play but not as much as it did earlier in the year.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do

Kurieg posted:

Taking back a play while in the act of resolving the play arguably goes beyond the scope of the taksies-backsies rule, which as written is stated to cover backing up in the moment of announcement before your opponent has a chance to respond.

The judges who ruled otherwise are simply wrong, and apparently will soon have to pay a fee to continue to be wrong at their leisure.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Lol hogaak 50% of the SCG top 8

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kurieg posted:

I too enjoy being obligated to stop an opponent from misplaying

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Walked posted:

Lol hogaak 50% of the SCG top 8

lol people complaining about this in the format of turn 2 prime time or turn 3 karn

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Hogaak is going to get emergency banned real hard

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Buffis posted:

Hogaak is going to get emergency banned real hard

Please Lord

Panzeh posted:

lol people complaining about this in the format of turn 2 prime time or turn 3 karn

Lol the consistency of a turn 2 prime time is MUCH less and imagine Tron dominating when people are mainboarding damping sphere and running 4-6 more pieces of hate sideboard.

Different level of oppression

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

Apologies, "intern programmers lol" is a pet peeve for me, mostly thrown around by people who have no idea what it takes to build software other than "something something servers", and I hear the sentiment thrown around plenty enough without sarcasm that it's hard to tell whether he was serious or not.

Arena is a big moneymaker for Wizards, but I'm sure that the "I" in ROI was far from negligible.

You don't need to come into the magic thread and defend the honor of software programmers. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Sickening posted:

You don't need to come into the magic thread and defend the honor of software programmers. Nobody gives a poo poo.

Not to mention that WotC has a checkered history when it comes to paying for IT professionals.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Walked posted:

Please Lord

Lol the consistency of a turn 2 prime time is MUCH less and imagine Tron dominating when people are mainboarding damping sphere and running 4-6 more pieces of hate sideboard.

Different level of oppression

There are, in fact, removal spells other than fatal push and lightning bolt.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Panzeh posted:

There are, in fact, removal spells other than fatal push and lightning bolt.

This is becoming increasingly incoherent

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Imagine playing one for one removal spells against Hogaak lmao

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Primeval Titan killing your opponent on turn 2 is basically a removal spell because it gets rid of all your opponent's stuff

Makes u think

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

I too enjoy being obligated to stop an opponent from misplaying

I'm just saying what she's put on her twitter.

I don't even know what the original story was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The tweets are still up there and there is further discussion about the event...

https://twitter.com/h0lydiva/status/1155502956000817152