Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm fairly sure that when you buy a new Harley you get an actual little certificate of validation that says "this is an official hog made by the Harley Davidson motor company" lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jesus h gently caress

The only bike I've ever bought new was a KLR, and you know what came with it? A KLR

man, in retrospect most of my bikes have been dad as gently caress except for the Sherpa. What's wrong with me.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Cosplay for dads

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I'm fairly sure that when you buy a new Harley you get an actual little certificate of validation that says "this is an official hog made by the Harley Davidson motor company" lol

This is 100% true and I believe it's called a certificate of authenticity.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
You gotta have that certificate of authenticity or people will think you bought one of the Japanese cruisers that is better in every single way and LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT PEARL HARBOR

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If you own a Ducati, you can send the vin to Italy and get your official Ducati Owner’s Card. I flashed that bitch at bars and got to the front of the line. :c00l:

Then I was promptly laughed at and kicked out for being poor because it was a used Monster.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

If you own a Ducati, you can send the vin to Italy and get your official Ducati Owner’s Card. I flashed that bitch at bars and got to the front of the line. :c00l:

Then I was promptly laughed at and kicked out for being poor because it was a used Monster.

Cutting it out of the head stock must be such a oval office, typical Italians :rolleyes:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Ripoff posted:

Dumb boomer memes are dumb and all, but the “trophy or recognition plaque” is especially confounding because Harley-Davidson literally operates stores full of branded junk (my favorite garbage being the Harley wall clock which revs at you on the hour, something I’ve literally seen hanging in a guy’s office) and no motorcycles.

Also don’t pretend the Aerostitch-and-Schuberth combo is anything but a GSA rider badge. :colbert:

I wanna clock that fuckin' revs at me.

I want "cross-plane R1 dopplering away" though, not "potato"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Elviscat posted:

I wanna clock that fuckin' revs at me.

I want "cross-plane R1 dopplering away" though, not "potato"

Only revs at 12 o clock.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

today i followed a guy on a harley wearing a t-shirt that said

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

Maybe he's got a moving company that helps people move to Canada?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

IT RIGHT INTO THE FIRE!

gently caress yeah freedom of speech motherfucker

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sagebrush posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

The 18 states?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

pun pundit posted:

The 18 states?

That's obviously a cropped version, you can't contain a full 50 states worth of freedom on a simple cotton t-shirt

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

luv my certified hog

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

IF YOU DON'T LIKE
THIS FLAG

I'LL HELP YOU PACK

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

more thoughts on bikes with soul

quote:

You can accuse me of being anthropomorphic, sentimental and silly, but some bikes definitely have soul. Other machines too.

My small block Moto Guzzi is imbued with soul. Very, very appealing.

Most Japanese bikes don’t, or I can’t detect it.

I thought a Moto Guzzi was the epitome of soul until I started messing around with a mid-1990s carbed Ducati 2 valve 900 Super Sport. Holy Cow! That beast is overloaded with soul. When I park it the thing sometimes drips excess soul onto the ground. It’s can be downright embarrassing. I can practically hear it whisper to me when I’m sleeping.

I have an old, early 1950s Smith & Wesson K-38 Target Revolver in .38 Special. It has fired probably a hundred thousand rounds in formal Bullseye competition. Nothing but honest wear after decades of loving care. That thing absolutely has soul and speaks to you.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

more thoughts on bikes with soul

"My weapon speaks to me when it thinks no-one is listening" CALL A PRIEST

MAYBE A RABBI, I LIKED THAT DYBBUK BOX MOVIE WITH MATISYAHU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

quote:

You can accuse me of being anthropomorphic, sentimental and silly, but some bikes definitely have soul. Other machines too.

Well, at least he's self-aware. Just not enough to stop himself from gushing about his toys.

Is it too hard to just say "this bike/tool/whatever has quirks that appeal to me"?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
that's not soul, that's oil

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He'd be lucky if it's only oil, it's probably gas

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Is it too hard to just say "this bike/tool/whatever has quirks that appeal to me"?

I wish more people would say that. Its as if they have to justify owning an expensive toy by making it some deep personal thing. It's almost competitive, too. Like "because I recognize x bike has 'soul,' I'm therefore on a deeper level than the rest of the unwashed masses." :jerkoff:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thread is: Proper etiquette for passing *slow* groups

quote:

Has happened to me. Just passed as conditions allowed, slotted in when I had to. I didn't try to rip past them as I could see a few ladies riders I didn't want to startle. Just few horn beeps as I progressed thru the herd

quote:

If you're going to pass groups of pirates, just watch out for any hunched-over riders on sportsters. That would be the bitch/poa/so of the nearby badass. Do not cut her off or put her into the weeds with your superior motorcycling display. Guaranteed your day will end badly.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I hate big groups of motorcycle riders on the freeway, even the few sportbike clubs you see are obnoxious. If you're holding up my land boat in the fast lane, you need to learn to ride faster or just not form huge swarms on the freeway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thread is: Proper etiquette for passing *slow* groups

Beware of the woman rider in the middle of the group that she shall not take fright as you pass her. Do not explode the exhaust box at her. Go smoothingly by.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
POA?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Beware of the woman rider in the middle of the group that she shall not take fright as you pass her. Do not explode the exhaust box at her. Go smoothingly by.

Shall I not tootle melodiously?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Women in traffic: functionally identical to horses.

Mechanical horses you ride in traffic: metaphorically identical to women.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I puzzled on this for a bit, I think it's piece-of-rear end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

ugh

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Poor Brenda. Thought of passing and died.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Buncha horse fuckers over there, I tell you what.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Chris Knight posted:

Poor Brenda. Thought of passing and died.

You just tattooed this on my soul

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

quote:

If, during the afternoon commute, a forced detour routes me through Malt Liquor country in order to exit the city (as has happened), what of the exhortation that I "should not be going there?" Do the indigs with bad intent give me a pass because, hey, it wasn't my choice to ride through the 'hood that day?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:psyboom:

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Pretty sure the site's only named ADVRider because racistboomersonbikes.com was already registered

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is the most effort ever undertaken to not say the nword

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
idk what's wrong with these guys

riding through the poor parts of the city is literally the greatest thing ever

you pop one loving wheelie and everyone and their cousins comes out to get a snapchat video and everyone's cheering and having a good time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

That's my experience living in a poor part of a poor town too, also street parked my R1 and my FZ6 and never had either hosed with, lots of kids coming up to me to ask questions while I'm gearing up, "is it fast?" "Does it wheelie?" Etc.

Move out to lily-white semi-rural Trump country and my loving brand new dirt bike gets jacked in under 24 loving hours.