Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a high mileage GX470 last fall and it's been great. Around me at least the Lexus varieties were cheaper than equivalent 4Runners while being in better shape. Mine is basically just a daily driver at this point, but building it up is on the list if my income ever stabilizes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've been daily driving my 3rd gen T4R with 318k since I picked it up in November. The only issue I've encountered at this point was a charging system bug that took me too long to get sorted. Other than that I've put almost 10k on it with minimal fuss.

With that said I am buying a GX470 for my next truck, but I'm going to enjoy my current truck as a "diet overlander" for the immediate future.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Thanks for the knowledge bomb. That at least helps me focus. I have a daily driver diesel truck that takes care of my practical needs so this would be an occasional daily driver mostly fun suv. I would prefer to avoid anything heavily modified and not suitable for highway trips. Also not being in any sort off rush means I can just keep an eye on Craigslist and see what happens.

Edit: The gx470 is looking like a solid choice. Reasonable price range and easily outfitted to match what I'm looking for.

Atticus_1354 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 28, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Relevant:

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/denver-2003-lexus-gx470-awd-price/6929462484.html

That’s also an early no nav truck that you can easily drop a modern head unit into.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Tremek posted:

Incredible post
Fukkin saved. Thanks, Tremek.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Was there a factory rear locker option for the GX?

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Not that I’ve seen

Echoing the non mark levinson audio package. If mine wasn’t so cheap I would have waited to find one without.

Also, they develop a driveshaft clunk if not greased often. Probably going to replace mine sooner than later.

04gx is the last year of the basic non vtec or whatever fancy tec engine. Lower on power and on fuel economy but apparently way more tank like.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Tremek posted:

I wrote this back in February but I think it mostly holds up and is applicable:

There's Toyota trucks for all budgets... If we're talking a weekend warrior sort of non-daily driver, I think you're looking at things like the following:

:eng101:

This is really helpful, thank you! I'm curious how your thoughts changes if it is a daily driver.

After looking at used options like in your post, we're seriously considering a new 2020 4Runner. It'd be our only vehicle (and daily driver), so we'd like something with some modern amenities like adaptive cruise control, android auto, etc. Plus used 4Runner prices here in the PNW are silly high...

Is that objectively stupid for any reason? We live in the city, so a second older vehicle would mean inconvenient street parking. And no garage or driveway to work on something older. It's awfully tempting to get something reliable and new, but having never bought not-used I'm wrestling with whether that's the right decision (or at least not a wrong one).

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
Those of you with a gx470 what size tires are you running and what's your fuel mileage like?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Also the new traction control coming out from toyota is absolutely INCREDIBLE. Its right up there with twin mechanical lockers, currently the only advantage the lockers have is that you dont need wheel slip to activate them, but the new Prado and 200 series system in AU is so good it picks up on wheel slip within 1/4 of the turn of the wheel and starts shunting power around.

Twin lockers in an IFS truck with good tyres will go 95% of the places a solid axle truck will too- and that last 5% is going to end up with body damage regardless of which way you go, so dont discount the IFS trucks for hard core wheeling too. If anything you'll get even more spectacular photos than your solid axle mates as you hoik wheels in the air everywhere :v:

It sucks you guys didnt get the diesel option in the Prado and Landcruisers- My 100 series with the 4.2L Turbo Diesel is generally getting 13.5L/100km (17.42MPG) and my mates 120 series prado with the 6 speed manual and 3.0L CRD diesel used 10/100 onroad (23.52MPG) and 12.5 bashing through the simpson desert! (18.82MPG!)

His 120 series (same as the GX) has 265/65R17's on it atm

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Aye the traction control has usually worked pretty well for me, it took my stock hilux up some steep and slippery poo poo my mates lifted patrol struggled with. There's a few bits where it can't compare with a locker though, things like long slippery mud covered climbs with little benches it just couldn't make it spinning three wheels but with a front locker it would have just gotten up. Still felt pretty good to take a stocko ifs ute up 99% of these tracks that were challenging for lifted 4.2TD patrols on nice big tyres.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

incogneato posted:

This is really helpful, thank you! I'm curious how your thoughts changes if it is a daily driver.

After looking at used options like in your post, we're seriously considering a new 2020 4Runner. It'd be our only vehicle (and daily driver), so we'd like something with some modern amenities like adaptive cruise control, android auto, etc. Plus used 4Runner prices here in the PNW are silly high...

Is that objectively stupid for any reason? We live in the city, so a second older vehicle would mean inconvenient street parking. And no garage or driveway to work on something older. It's awfully tempting to get something reliable and new, but having never bought not-used I'm wrestling with whether that's the right decision (or at least not a wrong one).

Not for nothing but I don’t much like the current generation 4runner. I have had a couple rentals on the stock Dunlop tires and found the suspension to be easily overwhelmed and I was able to inadvertently lock up the tires at highway speeds with lots of nose dive.

Granted I haven’t driven a TRD but if the stock suspension and tires are that unforgiving that’s kind of scary.

Also the design is getting long in the tooth, much with the Tacoma (and Land Cruiser...) Entune is no picnic, the V6 engines in the 4runner and Tacoma are underwhelming, etc. That’s a lot of money to spend on an underwhelming vehicle, which is also how I feel about this Raptor I just picked up. V6 Ecoboost is a wet disappointing fart.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Those of you with a gx470 what size tires are you running and what's your fuel mileage like?

265 70 17 here, which isn’t much more than stock but is the biggest that you can fit without some modification. Seem to average around 15.8 based on the computer, mostly around town. Where I am it’s always really windy so highway mileage is pretty variable, but best I’ve gotten on a long trip is still bout 20 on these tires.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

Tremek posted:

V6 Ecoboost is a wet disappointing fart.

Absolutely this. I mostly drive diesel trucks and absolutely hated driving the company 4runner across Texas. Merging on to I10 was awful and driving in Houston traffic made me hate the drat thing. Everytime the stupid EcoBoost light came on the dash I would get angry. My biggest irritation is an engine/transmission that wont give you what you're asking for when you ask for it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tremek posted:

Not for nothing but I don’t much like the current generation 4runner. I have had a couple rentals on the stock Dunlop tires and found the suspension to be easily overwhelmed and I was able to inadvertently lock up the tires at highway speeds with lots of nose dive.

Granted I haven’t driven a TRD but if the stock suspension and tires are that unforgiving that’s kind of scary.

Also the design is getting long in the tooth, much with the Tacoma (and Land Cruiser...) Entune is no picnic, the V6 engines in the 4runner and Tacoma are underwhelming, etc. That’s a lot of money to spend on an underwhelming vehicle, which is also how I feel about this Raptor I just picked up. V6 Ecoboost is a wet disappointing fart.

My recommendations these days are GX470 on the bottom end, GX460 midrange, 200 series if you need more motor for towing.

There is no reason to get a 100 over a GX. I say this as a 100 owner. 80s are cool but they all need to be baselined at this point and the 6 needs headgaskets by now. The 4runners are overpriced in any year or trim and I give not a single gently caress for that V6. Sure you can get older runners and what not with the shitter V6s, but the GX is such a great value and the uz is incredible you're better off saving up. FJ cruiser is a wild card if you like man trans, driving a bunker, and dont mind the doors. Trucks are a wild card because I like the idea of a bed and a half height rack to get a roof top tent under the cab line, plus towing is higher despite my disdain for leaf springs. Taco is underwhelming and tundra is big. I wish they beefed up the taco and put the loving 4.6 in it. I'm tired of subaru and toyota loving around and not putting the good poo poo in the smaller chassis.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Tremek posted:

I wrote this back in February but I think it mostly holds up and is applicable:

There's Toyota trucks for all budgets... If we're talking a weekend warrior sort of non-daily driver, I think you're looking at things like the following:

Adding my additional 2 cents to this list:

Why would you avoid the 2.7 in the 3rd gen 4runner? They go forever and you don't have to change a timing belt every 90k like you do in the 3.4.

There's a lot of talk about power in this post, but that's more of an on-road preference than a necessity to get out to the trails and have fun on them. I think a lof of this will depend on usage.

In the 10k range I would be grabbing up 80 series before they are so old that cleanish examples start going for way too much money and nobody wants to beat on them anymore due to scarcity. 10k should get you into something that the head gaskets have been done and you can throw some money at armor, lift, tires, etc. I'd avoid the 90-91, get one with the 4.5 and the full floating rear. Still a heavy pig but capable as all get out with lots of room for buddies and gear.

80 series is probably the biggest thing I would want to take on the trails (I'm east coast, so that probably makes a difference). Even the 4th gen 4runners, which seem like a great platform, esp with the vvt v8, are really wide compared to the first 3 generations. More comfortable, but more trail pinstriping potential.

Double cab tacos are also nice dual purpose rigs, but getting a clean one with less than 150k for 10k has been tough and it's not getting any easier. Might be better long run to buy a prerunner and adapt a transfer case and solid axle swap it if you aren't going to DD it but still want something dual purpose.

1st gen 4runners are going to be more fun and nimble than anything else IMO, and would be fun as heck with a 1UZ swap.

The 100 and 200 series I would consider more of a camping "OVERLAND" type rig. I wouldn't want to drag one across harder trails that require some belly clearance, but certain kinds of trails and forest roads and stuff would be fine. Much more comfortable on road.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Paulie posted:

Adding my additional 2 cents to this list:

Why would you avoid the 2.7 in the 3rd gen 4runner? They go forever and you don't have to change a timing belt every 90k like you do in the 3.4.

My primary complaint is an engine that's going on 25 years old that had 150hp and 177 lb ft at the crank in 1995 behind the more-common A340 (good) 4-speed auto transmission in a 4,000 lb vehicle is going to be very, very slow on modern roads. Start loading that truck up with recovery gear, a friend or two and a dog, maybe some camping equipment, and all of the above is dramatically exacerbated. Same reason I wouldn't recommend an 80 to anyone other than someone who knows what they're getting into. In all but the most extreme cases there's no reason to be stuck doing 30 mph in the right lane with your flashers on going over passes anymore with the proliferation of easily available hp/tq in larger and sometimes more reliable engines (see the 300k/$3750? GX470 I linked above a few days ago.)

Paulie posted:

There's a lot of talk about power in this post, but that's more of an on-road preference than a necessity to get out to the trails and have fun on them. I think a lof of this will depend on usage.

In the 10k range I would be grabbing up 80 series before they are so old that cleanish examples start going for way too much money and nobody wants to beat on them anymore due to scarcity. 10k should get you into something that the head gaskets have been done and you can throw some money at armor, lift, tires, etc. I'd avoid the 90-91, get one with the 4.5 and the full floating rear. Still a heavy pig but capable as all get out with lots of room for buddies and gear.

80 series is probably the biggest thing I would want to take on the trails (I'm east coast, so that probably makes a difference). Even the 4th gen 4runners, which seem like a great platform, esp with the vvt v8, are really wide compared to the first 3 generations. More comfortable, but more trail pinstriping potential.

Double cab tacos are also nice dual purpose rigs, but getting a clean one with less than 150k for 10k has been tough and it's not getting any easier. Might be better long run to buy a prerunner and adapt a transfer case and solid axle swap it if you aren't going to DD it but still want something dual purpose.

1st gen 4runners are going to be more fun and nimble than anything else IMO, and would be fun as heck with a 1UZ swap.

The 100 and 200 series I would consider more of a camping "OVERLAND" type rig. I wouldn't want to drag one across harder trails that require some belly clearance, but certain kinds of trails and forest roads and stuff would be fine. Much more comfortable on road.

Yeah part of your feedback (much as mine is) is colored by your region. I have taken our 200 up over treeline here in CO a number of times, and frankly it's not wanting for clearance in most scenarios that I have been in. Then again many of our trails out here compared to the east coast are less forested, probably more rocky on the whole, and we frequently break out above treeline on the higher trails in the mountains where width matters less.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Absolutely this. I mostly drive diesel trucks and absolutely hated driving the company 4runner across Texas. Merging on to I10 was awful and driving in Houston traffic made me hate the drat thing. Everytime the stupid EcoBoost light came on the dash I would get angry. My biggest irritation is an engine/transmission that wont give you what you're asking for when you ask for it.

For clarity's sake I was complaining about the 3.5L Ecoboost TTV6 in my Raptor more than anything, I don't think Toyota has anything turbo in any of their BoF trucks currently although frankly either of Ford's 2.7 TTV6 or 3.5 TTV6 variants in a 4runner or Tacoma would probably be an improvement over the Toyota NA 3.5 V6.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jul 29, 2019

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

Agreed, if you are pulling a lot of long grades, much bigger issue than just rolling hills with 1 or 2 moderate pulls. The 2.7 and 5 speed combo is tough to find because they people keep them until everything else around them needs work, but you at least have 1 more gear to play with and more favorable ratios, and they have no problem hanging at 3-4k rpms all day.

Most Toyota suvs and trucks will have a barely adequate to adequate power to weight ratio, but over gearing them will help. I.e., if the "chart" says 4.56 gears would compensate for 33" tires, go for 4.88 or 5.29 to compensate for weight and rolling resistance.

But it is really dependent on uses and needs, and no doubt there's a quality Toyota 4wd that will fit the bill for most situations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Slow is Fast posted:

My recommendations these days are GX470 on the bottom end, GX460 midrange, 200 series if you need more motor for towing.

I really want a GX470 and can probably swing it in the next year. What should I be looking for in terms of options? Is there anything I should actively avoid?

For context, I live in Utah. It would be my main vehicle. I’m mainly interested in being able to confidently explore easy to moderate trails on the weekends and still be able to run the kids to school on Monday morning. The biggest reason that I want a 470 is that I’m 6’5” with a very long torso, and it’s one of the few vehicles where my head doesn’t graze the roof liner.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

TheMadMilkman posted:

I really want a GX470 and can probably swing it in the next year. What should I be looking for in terms of options? Is there anything I should actively avoid?

For context, I live in Utah. It would be my main vehicle. I’m mainly interested in being able to confidently explore easy to moderate trails on the weekends and still be able to run the kids to school on Monday morning. The biggest reason that I want a 470 is that I’m 6’5” with a very long torso, and it’s one of the few vehicles where my head doesn’t graze the roof liner.

Tired: kdss, levinson audio, light interiors, later engines
Wired: rear spring conversions, rear spoiler, old school headlamps, larger hitch conversions

I got a metal tech front bumper for my gx and am trying to wrap it around a warn 9.5si. Had to cut a bit of the bumper to get it on but got a rad deal on the winch so gently caress it. Next goes the dobbinsons suspension and some Rez fab lower links I found for cheap in Portland.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

TheMadMilkman posted:

GXOR quick buyers guide:

https://lexusgxor.com/general:purchasing

You should read that site and get on the GXOR FB page. Really an incredible community.

Quick beats:

GX annoyances, integrated nav cannot be easily replaced but the chinese are making tesla android replacements that seem to be getting better and better, or you can feed a grom vline into the stock tiny screen. A non nav truck is less common but lets you do what you want. Seriously the thing is loving rear end and HVAC is integrated so you're screwed.

The rear door is stupid.

03, has trans dipstick,non VVTI

04 no trans dipstick gently caress you fill it with a laptop (serious you need techstream to monitor temp and fill it at certain temp)

06 is vvti and air injection that blows up so you buy the truck then buy a bypass kit.

07 got gooder nav and aux in

Make sure center diff lock works, most trucks are starbucks mobiles.

Timing belts due at 9 years or 90k miles

The rear airbags are starting to blow up, just coil convert it. Front diff support on earlier ones breaks, throw updated part at it. Driveshaft clunk just grease or buy updated part. Alignment tabs can bend when you get dumb with them, but my friend who runs rally sweep hasnt bent his yet doing 80+ on dirt. There are weld on kits to beef that up. The rear ends sometimes blow up, but you can throw a later 150 series axle at it with factory e locker. The carrier flexes and things explode.

Any other question has been done to death and the GXOR community is insanely good. Only reason I didnt get one was because I found a 100 that was basically a free truck for the cost of all the mods bolted to it. Now I'm digging out from the maintenance debt that hasnt been paid and my friends have been instructed to shoot me in the loving head if I ever buy another New England vehicle again. But it's almost done... I digress..

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve actually grown to appreciate the side swing door after banging my head on a bunch of SUV hatches recently.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Paulie posted:

Agreed, if you are pulling a lot of long grades, much bigger issue than just rolling hills with 1 or 2 moderate pulls. The 2.7 and 5 speed combo is tough to find because they people keep them until everything else around them needs work, but you at least have 1 more gear to play with and more favorable ratios, and they have no problem hanging at 3-4k rpms all day.

Most Toyota suvs and trucks will have a barely adequate to adequate power to weight ratio, but over gearing them will help. I.e., if the "chart" says 4.56 gears would compensate for 33" tires, go for 4.88 or 5.29 to compensate for weight and rolling resistance.

But it is really dependent on uses and needs, and no doubt there's a quality Toyota 4wd that will fit the bill for most situations.

I love how you guys are complaining bout the 2.7... You never had the powerhouse that was the 2.8D motor.... Or even worse, the 2.4D!

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah I have the (quite rare in a 4runner) 2.7 5 speed. It's not a speed demon but if you rev it out it can easily go, say, 80mph up a 7% grade. I wouldn't want it with an auto though.

I will say that it gets max like 22mpg and that's if you go 65 or below. At 80 it probably gets 17 which I don't think is all that different from the 3.4l. I didn't set out to buy a 2.7 but the price and condition was right. Mine has 250k on it and aside from needing some new engine mounts at some point its good to go. Did a new exhaust manifold at one point (the cast ones crack) just using the stock Toyota stainless steel mini header they sell overseas for the 3rz.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

powderific posted:

I’ve actually grown to appreciate the side swing door after banging my head on a bunch of SUV hatches recently.
We're (wife and I) just about at the 6-month mark with our 2002 Honda CR-V, and we are still getting used to the side-swing. I need to replace the gas strut, it won't stay open if there's the slightest breeze or I'm parked on any angle with the hinge side slightly higher than the latch side. But, compared to holding a lift hatch up with my head while pushing stuff around in the back, finding a tall enough, heavy enough box / suitcase to prop the door (or simply the nearest person) is less obnoxious.

Fitting over-length objects in is harder, though. Fortunately, the CR-V is big enough to take a King size mattress (that's made of squishy foam) and we have access to a friend's trailer, given a couple of days notice.

We just had all four struts replaced after the rego inspection, because they were leaking. This *might* have had something (maybe, possibly) to do with our habit of driving on the shittiest not-roads we can find, including crossing a river bed that was just rocks back in March. It's not a real 4x4, but it hasn't let us down, yet.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

powderific posted:

Clearly you need a bigger SUV. I'm 6'1" and can walk quite comfortably under the hatch of my Sequoia.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How many shackles do I need in a recovery kit? Do I need a recovery kit? Am I watching too many Australian YouTube videos? (Yes, I am)

I've got
- XBull knockoff maxtrax
- a shovel
- 30' snatch strap
- 8' tree saver (I don't have winch, this would mainly be used as a bridle for my front recovery points if needed.)
- shackle hitch receiver
- Two 3/4" shackles

I'm not planning on getting a bumper for a winch, or doing any types of things that would require winching, but thinking of maybe just throwing a come-along in there.
I don't have any points that a hi-lift jack would be usable.
Maybe open my wallet for some soft shackles?

I'd probably never use any of this but I'd rather be prepared. I think not driving stupid should prevent 99% of cases, and airing down 99% of that 1%, and using a shovel and traction boards would suffice in 99% of that 1% of that 1%.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I bought one of these things to use with a high lift but I’ve never used it. Has good reviews though. Also have the stuff needed to use the high lift as a come along. Other than that my recover kit sounds just like yours.

https://www.amazon.com/Hi-Lift-LM100-Jack-LM-100-Lift-Mate/dp/B00042KGWG

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My understanding that while a hi-lift can be used for winching, it really sucks and your travel is about 2' or less.

I don't know, there's a local guy on OfferUp selling his OEM rock sliders for a good price. I don't plan on rock crawling, but rocks are everywhere, and they work as a jack point.

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I'd get a high lift, winch (seriously, just get it over with), at least 2 shackles, short tree saver strap, two longer straps, gloves. Maybe a pulley for doubling back. A shovel would allow you to half-bury a tire and winch off of that (or come along/high lift pseudo-come-along). I don't carry a shovel because there are trees everywhere I wheel, but it wouldn't hurt to get a little foldable deal.

Extra shackles can come in handy in case someone doesn't have one on them, or they need another for a situation.

A winch rules and is useful for more than just trail stuff. Helping folks in inclement weather situations, clearing large debris, etc. You can get a new smittybilt or used Warn for 3-400 bux.

Also a good idea to carry some kind of spill kit in case you crack something open and begin spewing oil, coolant, gear oil, ATF, etc. Absorbent pads and media, trash bags, epoxy to seal things up, stuff like that.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My daily carry is 2 shackles- a 4.5T and a 3.75T, a 8T snatch strap, damper blanket and a 12T tree trunk protector.

My touring/ adventuring setup is the above, plus another 2 of each shackles, a snatch block and a 30m 4.5T winch extension plus a pair of good riggers gloves.

My winch is still steel cable for its durability- I don’t use it often enough to warrant the expense of a winch rope.

Also if your gonna base your recovery kit off an Aussie 4wd channel- base it off someone like Ronny Dahl rather than guys like 4WD action. The Action guys deliberately find the absolute hardest lines possible and expect to get bogged and bogged hard because that’s their target audience

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ferremit--what would you use if you replaced your metal lead with, Dyneema?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah one of the synthetic ropes. There’s heaps around now not just dyneema, but since I use my winch more for lifting wheels up and down off my mezzanine than for actual vehicle recoveries it’s not worth the investment- especially since my vehicle sits outside 99% of its life and in AU that means your winch cable cops a LOT of UV

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is a length of dyneema that expensive? I haven't looked much, but when I did it seemed hard to find. These guys selling $50 soft shackles just take a foot of rope and tie a knot in it. It's not difficult thing to make yourself, if you can get the materials.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ferremit posted:

Yeah one of the synthetic ropes. There’s heaps around now not just dyneema, but since I use my winch more for lifting wheels up and down off my mezzanine than for actual vehicle recoveries it’s not worth the investment- especially since my vehicle sits outside 99% of its life and in AU that means your winch cable cops a LOT of UV

What type of bar do you have? All the fourbys I've seen with winches have it tucked well in away from the sun with only a small amount exposed right at the tip. I wonder if that small exposed portion could be sleeved with something to give extra uv protection too.

FogHelmut posted:

Is a length of dyneema that expensive? I haven't looked much, but when I did it seemed hard to find. These guys selling $50 soft shackles just take a foot of rope and tie a knot in it. It's not difficult thing to make yourself, if you can get the materials.

It's not cheap compared to normal line but not super expensive either, you can get it pretty easily either through 4wd suppliers or chandlers, maybe climbing stores too. But I'm not sure most people are willing and able to splice or tie knots well enough to trust them with several tons of force, having something let go while you're winching in a lovely situation or being snatched wouldn't be worth the savings.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

ARB bar, but theres a lot of cut outs on the top of it for winch access that allow a lot of light in on your spool.

They are definitely not a cheap exercise to retrofit- Your talking $4-7 a meter for the rope depending on your diameter- Just a quick look and a length of 8mm Dynamica rope to suit my Warn XD9000 winch is $650, plus then you have to change the fair lead and hook too.

Plus synthetic rope doesnt enjoy being dragged over the top of rocks and hard edges too, and if you get em full of mud you need to clean the rope really well or the grains of dirt can abrade your rope from the inside out and weaken it.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Ferremit posted:

ARB bar, but theres a lot of cut outs on the top of it for winch access that allow a lot of light in on your spool.

Bugger.

Ferremit posted:

They are definitely not a cheap exercise to retrofit- Your talking $4-7 a meter for the rope depending on your diameter- Just a quick look and a length of 8mm Dynamica rope to suit my Warn XD9000 winch is $650, plus then you have to change the fair lead and hook too.

Plus synthetic rope doesnt enjoy being dragged over the top of rocks and hard edges too, and if you get em full of mud you need to clean the rope really well or the grains of dirt can abrade your rope from the inside out and weaken it.

Nah, I was replying to old mate's point about making your own soft shackles. 7 bucks a metre seems a bit on the high side but I get your point, I don't think I'd be rushing out to replace wire winch rope unless it's already hosed. The abrasion bit gets me a bit worried too, all the proper recovery points on the fourbys we go out with just have holes for metal shackles but using a soft shackle it feels like the edges should be radiused.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Synthetic winch line isn't cheap, just look at the prices on this search at 4WheelParts.com: https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/winches/cable-synthetic-rope/_/N-clede

That being said I opted for synthetic because it is:
a) lighter
b) doesn't kink
c) 1000% less likely to tear your hands up (still you always wear leather gloves when handling winch lines, always!)
d) if it parts under tension there is a lot less mass in that giant whip you just created

As you can see in the shot above my winch is well protected from the sun so my main concern is damage from road salt. This past winter was really mild so we only had 2-3 days of brine treatment. After each one I just spooled the thing out and gave it a good rinse in a bucket of mild soapy water and spooled it back up. I live in a very suburban neighborhood so my neighbors must all think I'm insane. :V

OK enough yap, check this out:

Back when I first bought the truck I got a set of skid plates from CBI Offroad Fab in raw steel and had them bed linered. That seemed like a great idea at the time, but I have since learned that when you scrape a 5000+lb truck over a rock there ain't nothing that is going to ward that off. Also bed liner just adds yet more weight to the vehicle and when it's scratched up it looks like dead skin peeling so it had to go, at least from the bottom of the plates.

My wife kindly did the chemical stripping with some Citrastrip, an overnight marination and then attacked it with a putty knife. She got a good 80% of the material off and I finished off the rest Saturday morning. Then yesterday I hit the plate with a flappy wheel, some rust converting primer, then some regular old self etching primer and a top coat of Glossy Bright Red farm implement paint.

As an aside the paint was supposed to be Allis-Chalmers orange but someone at the warehouse messed up and I got red instead, but with an outing coming up Thursday I didn't have time to go do battle with Home Depot's customer service department and I guarantee that it would take a week or more to get the right color in so we're going with red.

A side project that didn't turn out so well are these guys:

They're folding shelf brackets to get the awning up high enough to allow the tailgate to go all the way up. I thought I had the problem solved but the slider widget interferes with the bolts / nuts so I'm thinking I'll be needing to make a custom offset block so I can use machine screws on the bracket side (he said bracket!) and keep the bolts on the awning side. For now though I just dismounted the awning and will deal with it in two weeks when I'm back from the event.

This post has been brought to you by Garage Cat, may she visit you and bring good fortune to all of your various projects:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Arishtat posted:

Synthetic winch line isn't cheap, just look at the prices on this search at 4WheelParts.com: https://www.4wheelparts.com/b/winches/cable-synthetic-rope/_/N-clede

That being said I opted for synthetic because it is:
a) lighter
b) doesn't kink
c) 1000% less likely to tear your hands up (still you always wear leather gloves when handling winch lines, always!)
d) if it parts under tension there is a lot less mass in that giant whip you just created

Yep, and keep in mind im in Australia too so:

1) Our dollar is worth 2/3 of yours, so everything is 30% more expensive straight off the bat.

2) Shipping and taxes to Australia is horrific. I was looking at a coffee tumbler the other day. US$25 tumbler, by the time you took into account the currency conversion, the shipping and paying 10% tax on the thing it was close to $65 landed at my door.

3) A lot of stuff from the US is through a sole distributor who's got the market locked down, so they can charge what they want as long as its slightly cheaper than what it would cost to import it yourself.

That Warn 3/8" Spydura rope that suits my XD9000?

4wd Parts price: US$356 (AU$526)

Australian price: AU$921

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulie
Jan 18, 2008

I bought my synthetic line from snevey's offroad a few years back. For ~$200usd I got 100ft of 5/16" line (or you can go 90' of 3/8") with a hook and a fairlead, as well as a protective sleeve for when I have to rest the line against a rock or something. Not sure how that would end up going through import taxes and such.

Marine supply places carry it as well. If you know how to knot the stuff up, you can get a side hustle going on soft shackles and such. Probably good to learn to do the knots and splicing, I need to get on that.