Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Stopped playing other games to get back to making Marios.

Tinker Tower
BQX-XGY-LWF
Difficulty
: Expert

Made a level in homage to my favorite Shovel Knight level, Tinker Knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

It looks like I only had one more jam level to talk about :

Mole Money Mole Problems
89Q-QFY-LQG
By: J-Spot

I've seen mole riding stages before, but this was was well done and just the right length to prevent it from getting old.

And there's only two Blitz 4 levels on the spreadsheet besides mine? Huh.

SkyDreams of the BoneLords
669-NF3-MMG
DalaranJ

Good way to use the parts available and it made a nice little "what am I supposed to do? Oh." stage.

Stand On Your Own Head
LNM-50P-VGG
Besesoth

That was a pretty good lay out and the rooms where you had to use the icicles to kill the bones was a good way to approach those parts.

And a couple more blitz levels from people who didn't post them to the spreadsheet and made me do the work for them.

A Gentle Rain of Fire
Q8J-7GQ-KWF
by OneMoreTime

I was expecting to see more star runs from this given that the munchers lend themselves nicely to the concept. Expanding on the concept as the stage went worked well here.

In the Hall of Dry Bones
by The Lobster
SK8-K44-4TG

It's got a good layout, but it feels kind of barren. It wouldn't have hurt to populate things a bit more.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

NSMBW music has always sucked except for maybe 1 or 2 songs, but the editor music for these tracks is borderline genius—working in the castle and winter themes is absolutely blessed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydjpT0SuEvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cOe0OL1sdU

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Had to perform bugfixes on the two levels I posted today. The two new codes are:

CYOA: Mario and the Desert Gold - GN8-PMW-9SG
In the Hall of Dry Bones - 0F4-KN3-BFG

@Random Stranger: I don't post my levels to the spreadsheet until I'm sure they're 100% finalized for exactly this reason.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Have a blitz level that I made in 95 minutes this morning, extremely hungover

HAUNTED HILL HOLE - 8RP GMK YLF

all things considered it is a bit simple and fun

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

J-Spot posted:

After a lot of iteration my jam course is up:

Mole Money Mole Problems
Course ID: 89Q-QFY-LQG
Target Difficulty: Normal
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

Ride a mole-powered mine cart as you hunt for gold in Monty's Mine. This one started life as a fairly traditional stage featuring various obstacles using moles as the main course element, but when I was playing with a segment that involved a mole carryng a bill blaster that you had to ride I decided to scrap everything I had done and restart with a focus on that particular gimmick. I could easily base a super expert course around this but I wanted to target a normal difficulty which may have been a fool's errand, especially since I included a clear condition which I felt supported the theme. Still, I did everything I could think of to tutorialize the mechanic and ramp things up so that there's only a couple of tricky parts that are also lethal. I probably ended up with something too hard for normal players and too easy for expert players, but if it's recieved well I can always revisit the concept and try a harder one later.

This was real cool but I died several times and didn't feel like trying again. On another day I might have kept at it. Due to the layout there are some places where you can survive a screw-up but be unable to continue without killing yourself, like on the Munchers, and starting again. I stopped after the second time I accidentally rode the cannon into the pit trying to get it on to the moving platform.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

The Lobster posted:

Had to perform bugfixes on the two levels I posted today. The two new codes are:

CYOA: Mario and the Desert Gold - GN8-PMW-9SG
In the Hall of Dry Bones - 0F4-KN3-BFG

@Random Stranger: I don't post my levels to the spreadsheet until I'm sure they're 100% finalized for exactly this reason.

just played both of these. I love the way you've indicated difficult rooms versus easier rooms in Desert Gold.

I also loved Dry Bones a LOT

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Being genuine when I ask for some feedback on these. Killer Cabin needs to get updated on the spreadsheet but I went through and renovated the whole thing after discovering a very, VERY easy softlock and aside from the final part it's basically a new stage now. I'm really hoping I finally have it in a good place but playtesters would be GREATLY appreciated.

Then the second one is just a classic level under the guise of 1-1. I've been making a lot of levels with a gimmick here or there so I wanted to do something like... hardcore traditional. There aren't any japes or anything like that involved- it's just a real stage once you get into it. 1-1 has frozen over and Mario has to take a detour to actually clear the stage.

Thank you so much for any plays I get :shobon:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

alf_pogs posted:

just played both of these. I love the way you've indicated difficult rooms versus easier rooms in Desert Gold.

I also loved Dry Bones a LOT

Thank you. :3:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Looks like someone sent Rocky Balboa Express in to Panga to play. He almost beat it, but got frustrated at the last section.

I need to see at least one streamer beat this level before I am happy.

Next kaizo level I make will be designed with more attention to detail regarding visual cues, it seems like a lot of the top dog crowd who end up playing the level get confused on objectives.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

What are considered the hardest levels in MM2? i enjoyed fighting the fire bar remix of 1-1 and panga in mm1

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

alf_pogs posted:

What are considered the hardest levels in MM2? i enjoyed fighting the fire bar remix of 1-1 and panga in mm1

It's hard to say for sure. Most of the hard levels from popular creators like Panga, Larl, etc get played by hundreds of people who never intend to beat them, and the clear rate ends up getting knocked down to .01 or .02 as a result when they are probably closer to a .10. My level has a .04 right now, but it's probably closer to a .20 IMO.

I know there is a level that took Syun, who is easily in the top 3 or so players in the world 20 hours to beat. I think it was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LrWHYMVt20

Panga's current hardest is Dievine Garden. Not sure if i've seen anything else exceptionally hard; there are plenty of 5 hour levels out there, but I don't know of any 50+ hour ones yet.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bit of a random request, but can you guys think of any really cramped levels you played that you enjoyed? I mean levels where the passages and rooms are relatively small and don't give you much freedom with jumping. If yes, why did you enjoy them?

Bonus point if you provide a code for the level so I can try it myself.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Bit of a random request, but can you guys think of any really cramped levels you played that you enjoyed? I mean levels where the passages and rooms are relatively small and don't give you much freedom with jumping. If yes, why did you enjoy them?

I don't have any codes handy but I love cramped levels and restricted jumping, especially in the OG smb. I think often it's harder to do precise little jumps, or well-liked small accurate moves, than it is to do giant leaps.

I also think it's an easyish way of getting at least an interesting, busy visual aesthetic onscreen. when little mazes are densely populated, I like that each 5x5 set of squares can effectively present a tiny little unique idea or element or platform puzzle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So hey if you were wondering, Bronze medals are now 8900 at the highest. My silver just got taken away.

I'm so demoralized with this game right now holy poo poo :smith: I keep getting notifications that people are liking my levels, but the points just keep ticking down and I feel like I'm just trying to plug a leaking ship at this point. I'm sorry for complaining about it so much but I'm just so frustrated by a dumb number that doesn't do anything.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So hey if you were wondering, Bronze medals are now 8900 at the highest. My silver just got taken away.

I'm so demoralized with this game right now holy poo poo :smith: I keep getting notifications that people are liking my levels, but the points just keep ticking down and I feel like I'm just trying to plug a leaking ship at this point. I'm sorry for complaining about it so much but I'm just so frustrated by a dumb number that doesn't do anything.

yeah the medals and numbers need a real overhaul because it's just not fun. and we all know what Reggie thinks about fun

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

The maker point system is absolutely mystifying and nobody seems to have any clue what the secret formula is but I'm pretty sure the more you have the harder it is to keep them. Sometimes I'll get a notification that I got a like and I'll check and see my maker points increased by 1. Sometimes I'll see someone played and did not like so I assume a boo and my points will have decreased by 15. Yesterday I had a period where I was only seeing like alerts and even still the points were going down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

alf_pogs posted:

yeah the medals and numbers need a real overhaul because it's just not fun. and we all know what Reggie thinks about fun

Reggie has been replaced with Bowser and you know how he feels about Mario games.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008

BabyRyoga posted:

Looks like someone sent Rocky Balboa Express in to Panga to play. He almost beat it, but got frustrated at the last section.

I need to see at least one streamer beat this level before I am happy.

Next kaizo level I make will be designed with more attention to detail regarding visual cues, it seems like a lot of the top dog crowd who end up playing the level get confused on objectives.

Yeah, that was me. I think Rocky single-handedly ruined the stream for quite a few people in his chat.

But yeah, I watched him play for the entire 70 minutes, and I agree with him that the first section was all right. The second section you could tell overstayed its welcome by the time he beat it (that's where the confusion you were talking about started to truly set in). I think that was the main source of Panga's frustration by the end; to get through that second section only to find that there is a third would probably break less patient players. It doesn't help that the hitboxes on those spikes are broken as hell.

That said, I believe that if he had more time, he would've beaten it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I made a 20-second speed run level. Based off having played several dozen others, I would classify this one as relatively easy. Only one jump that occasionally got me deep into testing.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1155339646508752901?s=19

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
N7J-H06-N8G- Shoeflyin' don't bother me.

Just a short level that I think is impossible to die on or get soft-locked in, using flying kuribo shoe to get across some gaps I made possible even for players who somehow never hold the run button.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm sorry dude. I'm getting to the point myself where they are incredibly unstable, and I'm not even quite at 7000 yet. It's a broken system. I saw a post from "bruhhhhh" or whoever, who has the most points, that there is probably a top number you can have and it's like 25,000 or so because he's always bleeding points and has to basically be in the game at all hours to maintain his score.

J-Spot posted:

The maker point system is absolutely mystifying and nobody seems to have any clue what the secret formula is but I'm pretty sure the more you have the harder it is to keep them. Sometimes I'll get a notification that I got a like and I'll check and see my maker points increased by 1. Sometimes I'll see someone played and did not like so I assume a boo and my points will have decreased by 15. Yesterday I had a period where I was only seeing like alerts and even still the points were going down.

I think likes, your score goes up, plays but no likes, your score goes down, and boos your score goes way down. Comments your score goes way up. Within like a +/-2, +/- 10 range or so (at my level). I'm always refreshing the leaderboard because that's the easiest way to get an accurate amount of my points.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Been playing through the story and so far it's pretty fun. I do miss being able to just rewind like in the NES emulator, having to actually deal with lives and redoing sections is making me want to scream sometimes. Looking forward to playing the non-story levels. (oh and wanting to chuck the controller at the screen for unskippable cutscenes/animations. (SMB3 on the NES reminded me how super dumb that can be agh.)

You guys/gals are really into it. :stare:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

James Peach posted:

Yeah, that was me. I think Rocky single-handedly ruined the stream for quite a few people in his chat.

But yeah, I watched him play for the entire 70 minutes, and I agree with him that the first section was all right. The second section you could tell overstayed its welcome by the time he beat it (that's where the confusion you were talking about started to truly set in). I think that was the main source of Panga's frustration by the end; to get through that second section only to find that there is a third would probably break less patient players. It doesn't help that the hitboxes on those spikes are broken as hell.

That said, I believe that if he had more time, he would've beaten it.

Yeah, he probably could have done it with about 20 more min or so. Dram gave up around the same part.

Other than hit boxes, the spike blocks in 3D word cause some bugs that result in input issues. At the end of the 2nd section, he was losing down inputs and couldn't ground pound into the final pipe. With the cat suit, you lose dive inputs sometimes when you are close to the spike blocks for some unknown reason. You also have trouble climbing thwomps if you hit them a certain amount of time after starting your dive. In uploading that level, I figured all the jank out and can pretty handily avoid it, but someone experiencing it for the first time will find it frustrating.

I think Beast will probably be able to beat it, and he has already played the first section so he should be able to do it in an hour or less.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Huxley posted:

I made a 20-second speed run level. Based off having played several dozen others, I would classify this one as relatively easy. Only one jump that occasionally got me deep into testing.

https://twitter.com/MattSolo734/status/1155339646508752901?s=19

I don't know what ones you've been playing, but I think in your time playing them, you've become exceptionally good at these. I just gave this one my best tries for a good 15 minutes and while I eventually got the hang of the initial jump timing, and could somewhat consistently get the tricky canon hop into the switch area... the next section just seems crazy. Getting the clown car through that saw cave could take me 20 seconds by itself. It would take a lot of time just practicing a hop into the car if there were a checkpoint on the coin bridge platform to get through consistently. I did enjoy the flow of the pre on/off switch section when it was flowing.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

I really like how lined up hard blocks move on tracks, so here is a level about it! Ended up with something a bit harder than my usual, which probably puts it in the higher end of normal or easy side of expert:

Surfing the Stone Skyway
GB3-CQ1-9XG

I'm a bit worried the last section ramps up the difficulty too much/introduces too much of a new gimmick, but I liked it enough to keep it. I'm curious how it flows to people who aren't the creator.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

How do I go about making a helmet-check? I'm trying to ensure that whether you're super mario or just regular mario with a helmet, i wanna get you down to regular mario no helmet

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

I don't know what ones you've been playing, but I think in your time playing them, you've become exceptionally good at these. I just gave this one my best tries for a good 15 minutes and while I eventually got the hang of the initial jump timing, and could somewhat consistently get the tricky canon hop into the switch area... the next section just seems crazy. Getting the clown car through that saw cave could take me 20 seconds by itself. It would take a lot of time just practicing a hop into the car if there were a checkpoint on the coin bridge platform to get through consistently. I did enjoy the flow of the pre on/off switch section when it was flowing.

The trick to the cave is you baaaarely need to move to avoid. It's like a waggle more than anything.

Thanks for trying and for the feedback! I'll make another one and tone it down.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Ignite Memories posted:

How do I go about making a helmet-check? I'm trying to ensure that whether you're super mario or just regular mario with a helmet, i wanna get you down to regular mario no helmet

Anything that damages you will remove the helmet first, so I think you'd pretty much just have to give the player another helmet after you force them to get small.

This is a situation where the character mushrooms from Mario Maker 1 that are functionally a Super Mushroom that doesn't increase your size would be useful.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Ignite Memories posted:

Give them a mushroom then place a 1 high section long enough with spike to damage them twice if they aren't small? I can't think of anything else.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

The lock for this kind of set up looks like this:

code:
# #%#
#   #
#####
With the "#" being any solid ground that cannot be broken and the % being a breakable brick. Super Mario cannot slide into the gap so they must be small to enter. And they have to have the helmet to go up through the brick.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a multiplayer versus race that's short and sweet and has two paths. I really don't know which one is quicker but hopefully the MP crowd finds it fun.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm trying to ensure the player is NO LONGER wearing a helmet.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm trying to ensure the player is NO LONGER wearing a helmet.

Saw blade.

The headpiece is the first thing that is knocked away when you take damage. Make them go through a saw blade. Worried that they will be small with no helmet? Give them a mushroom before the check.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I've got some more levels to share.

Treasure of Tilt Tower!
XC4-KJ4-57G

A short little level based off messing with the see-saws.

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh boy have I got some stuff for you. I've been having some fun making these sort of "MicroLevels" that have the man action take place all on a single screen.

MicroLevel: Pow Delivery
2VS-8QW-1QF

Get to the Pow Block to reach the goal

MicroLevel: A Flipping Trip
4CQ-TPQ-SRF

Stretches the definition of "All the action takes place on a single screen."

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Finished what I believe will be the last of my SMM1 stages I copied over. Dive into the haunted ruins unearthed by moles that dug too deep. Like a lot of my old levels, it's compact and tricky.

Spooky Spelunker Spoils
2BB-Y8N-SHG

Here's a roundup of the other levels I've uploaded.

Pipes and Pyramids
FR9-17K-Y8G

This is very short and not very good. It was just my test level that I decided to upload for the hell of it. Biggest reason I keep it up is seeing how people have died in every possible way, as seen above.

Return to Mole Valley
YM3-1KJ-XBG

A replacement of sorts for an old level of mine. Short and simple, there's moles to be dodged.

Koopin' Donuts
XDL-694-CBG

Toying around with 3DW mode, I made a neat auto-scroller that in fact contains koopas and donuts.

Hall of the Mole King
B8M-T1T-84G

Get shot at by moles! Jump over moles! Ride moles! Everything happens here. A remake of a SMM1 course.

Escape from Koopatraz
SM5-RS6-JNF

A compact, but tricky escape from a prison full of deadly traps. Another remake, but with checkpoints!

At this point I think I've finally overcome the creativity block and can move onto new levels :shobon:.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Finished another one. It’s a speedrun-ish race against a beetle shell. Let me know if there are any broken spots or if it’s possible to get stuck on the geometry somewhere. I had trouble with that in a few spots. I also played around a lot with the sound effects, so sorry if they’re annoying.

Race to the Bottom
0RW-8R9-9PG

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1155638519701934081

King Koopa's budget is out of control. He's going to have to make some cuts somewhere, but where? (I guess Kamek doesn't agree with MMT.) Or maybe he blew all the money on something expensive. It's your choice when you make a course for the Fifth Course jam.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've been trying to figure out a good way to make something in the style of SMB3 World 4 but the tools really just aren't there. So I made a big sky bridge and filled it with giant assholes. And some secrets.

SMB3 Revival: Giant's Causeway - DKM-RCY-HNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sometimes, inspiration hits you and you just can't stop. Other times, like this one, you have no idea what you just poo poo out, and maybe even fear it a little.

https://twitter.com/aquamarinephant/status/1155657106302750720