Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always carry a good amount of repair powder as soon as I can purchase it on DS2, more so if I'm doing a run with weapons that have low durability. But yes, I prefer to not worry about it like in DS1 and 3.

First Sinh fight I forgot to carry repair dust and got through three weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Is there any way to find out what weapons share the same movesets, or are they mostly all different? I've maxed out the Black Knight Sword since that thing is super fun for my playstyle, but I'm curious if there's another that has its moveset but can be buffed. That would probably do less damage though, but eh.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

most weapons have a unique combination of movesets, but the black knight sword is part of the greatsword "class" of weapons, and as such it will share certain characteristics with other greatswords (requiring str over dex but a decent amount of both, good damage with somewhat slow attack animations, reasonably heavy...). note that there is a "curved greatsword" and an "ultra greatsword" class, both of which are different from the class you find the black knight sword in.

try the claymore, the bastard sword or the executioner's greatsword, all of which are part of the same weapon family and are available early on.

edit: iirc the bastard sword has a really fun weapon art

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 27, 2019

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Made it to the Twin Demons. Great, another loving multi-stage boss fight. Still can’t dodge Friede’s stupid invisible bullshit and I’m tired of fighting Storm King only to die in 30 seconds once Nameless King starts. Feeling like calling it quits but I’m so close to completing the entire Bloodsouls series. I don’t want to give up now but none of these fights are fun.

Edit: Yay complaining! Got Demon Princes the very next try.

Harriet Carker fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 28, 2019

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Okay I’m up to the Dragonslayer Armor but I was going some googling on bosses I’ve killed and what the poo poo Aldrich’s lore is grotesque and the specifics of what he’s doing when you fight him are too!

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I tried sticking a knife in Friede and that slightly helps but I still usually can’t find her after that invisible jump. I’ve read so many threads about how to dodge it and I just can’t. Everyone says to look behind you in the opposite direction of the snow burst and she’s visible and you can get easy damage in but I never see her until she’s shoving her scythe up my rear end.

I use nearly all my healing in the first phase just because of this one attack. Can anyone give me some better pointers?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Follow the audio cue, like with Nito’s sword spell. There’s a very loud “sharpening” sound from her scythe dragging on the floor when she’s about to do the grab. Start rolling when the sound is about to end and you can dodge the grab.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I thought it was IN the direction of the snowburst?

Anyway, it's been a bit, but I had success learning the way she dodged by corraling her against the walls, then when she jumps and breaks furniture, you know where she is for sure. Pull that off a few times, and you'll "get it".

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
The sound I follow is the whooshing sound of her flying overhead. Are you wearing headphones?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I’m wearing headphone and can hear the sounds just fine but I still can’t figure out how far away from me she is. Also, she only breaks furniture sometimes. I’ve tried this fight 20+ times and only made it into the second phase 3 of them.

Also, I hear the sound of the scythe dragging, and try to roll, but the scrape upwards catches me no matter how I try to time it.

In more uplifting news, destroyed Nameless King! He actually wasn’t so tough once I figured out where his combos ended so I could get a hit in.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

dantheman650 posted:

I’m wearing headphone and can hear the sounds just fine but I still can’t figure out how far away from me she is.
Just keep running in the direction of the sound until she appears. She always jumps basically as far away in the direction she jumps in as possible and ends up next to the wall.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

What was up with that spear defender boss? He was easier than some of the red phantoms. Oh well, I won’t complain. Feels like I’m getting near to the end now.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

dantheman650 posted:

What was up with that spear defender boss? He was easier than some of the red phantoms. Oh well, I won’t complain. Feels like I’m getting near to the end now.

That fight is a gimmick that is often missed this far from release. There's a "hidden" covenant that lets you be summoned as the boss for that fight. If you get a good and/or well-equipped player summoned in, it can be a monster of a fight.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Ziddar posted:

That fight is a gimmick that is often missed this far from release. There's a "hidden" covenant that lets you be summoned as the boss for that fight. If you get a good and/or well-equipped player summoned in, it can be a monster of a fight.

I think I got some AFK person for that one cause they just stood there and let me beat the crap out of them. fight was done in like 30 seconds

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

I think I got some AFK person for that one cause they just stood there and let me beat the crap out of them. fight was done in like 30 seconds

They probably died of old age waiting to be summoned

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://i.imgur.com/MvQUYzS.mp4

this mod is loving great

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

quote:

- Removed the following spells (they will still appear in old saves, but are no longer obtainable):
- Homing Soul Arrow
- Great Homing Soul Arrow
- Crystal Cascade
- Soul Wave
- Wave of Judgment
- Orb of Judgment
- Soul Focus
- Surging Deep
- Cascading Deep
- Dreg Hail
- Dreg Torrent
- Pursuing Soul
- Great Pursuing soul
- Abyssal Burst
- Anguished Dregs
- Seeds of Chaos
- Abyssal Surge
- Dark Inferno
- Dark Hail
- Mournful Flames
- Earthfall
- Sparks
- Sunlight Barrage
- Divine Upheaval
- Inner Fervor
- Ravenous Gnawing
- Voracious Gnawing
- Devouring Swarm
- Dark Touch

WELP

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how many loving spells are added by that mod for them to be able to just remove so many at once

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

farewell best spell, cinders 1.36 will always be the best version because of you

https://i.imgur.com/eIuJdKX.mp4

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

A lot of the spells removed were just copies of spells from other schools using different animations. The mod author intends to add a lot of new spells that more show more clear distinction between schools. That said, my faith character was close to getting that spell right before it got removed and I’m pretty disappointed that now there isn’t a single offensive miracle that can compare with melee or my bow.

Balance is still pretty iffy in the mod, though. I never fought Champion Gundyr in vanilla, and I killed him last night, but I still don’t really know what he does, because he died in less than 5 seconds to the dancer’s enchanted blades WA.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

First playthrough, going in mostly blind, holy poo poo that tree boss is possibly the weirdest boss design I've seen in games and I loved it, even if honestly the fight wasn't that much fun.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Whalley posted:

First playthrough, going in mostly blind, holy poo poo that tree boss is possibly the weirdest boss design I've seen in games and I loved it, even if honestly the fight wasn't that much fun.

Vanilla 3?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

A lot of the spells removed were just copies of spells from other schools using different animations. The mod author intends to add a lot of new spells that more show more clear distinction between schools. That said, my faith character was close to getting that spell right before it got removed and I’m pretty disappointed that now there isn’t a single offensive miracle that can compare with melee or my bow.

Balance is still pretty iffy in the mod, though. I never fought Champion Gundyr in vanilla, and I killed him last night, but I still don’t really know what he does, because he died in less than 5 seconds to the dancer’s enchanted blades WA.

you’re updating it in the middle of a save? That sounds like a good way to break things.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Whalley posted:

Tree ahead and then try balls

Digirat posted:

farewell best spell, cinders 1.36 will always be the best version because of you

that spell looks like it removes all of the difficulty from the game. to me it'd be as boring as a weapon that just killed any enemy with 1 attack

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Slave Knight Gael seems like a pretty interesting fight. Him, Friede, and Midir are all that stand before me and finishing this crazy journey.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I'm down to the final main vanilla boss, the Archdragon optional area, and the two DLC sets. Is there a generally recommended order to hit those up in?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Don’t know about recommended but in terms of difficulty (easiest to hardest): Main game boss, Archdragon area and boss, Ashes of Andariel, then Ringed City. There’s no problem beating the game before jumping into DLC or side areas - there will be a prompt at the bonfire for when you want to start NG+

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Made it to the Twin Demons. Great, another loving multi-stage boss fight. Still can’t dodge Friede’s stupid invisible bullshit and I’m tired of fighting Storm King only to die in 30 seconds once Nameless King starts. Feeling like calling it quits but I’m so close to completing the entire Bloodsouls series. I don’t want to give up now but none of these fights are fun.

Edit: Yay complaining! Got Demon Princes the very next try.

I heard someone say earlier throw a knife at her and it sticks while she's invisible.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

vandalism posted:

I heard someone say earlier throw a knife at her and it sticks while she's invisible.

Yeah, I did that. The environment is pretty dark and brown and it was still really really hard to see where she went.

I’ll get it eventually. It’s just frustrating because it’s one of the first attacks in the entire series that I feel like I just can’t avoid.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

dantheman650 posted:

Yeah, I did that. The environment is pretty dark and brown and it was still really really hard to see where she went.

I’ll get it eventually. It’s just frustrating because it’s one of the first attacks in the entire series that I feel like I just can’t avoid.

I always summon people for poo poo I can't deal with. I wonder what it would be like to try to solo through all the bosses. I'd get owned hard probably.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

dantheman650 posted:

not sure what kind of weapons you're using, but friede has next to no poise, so if you use something big and heavy you can stunlock her pretty easily and get in a bunch of free hits. she will eventually do an emergency ninja flip that breaks her free no matter what, but IMO bashing her over the head with a big weapon is the best way to go.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Freaking Crumbum posted:

not sure what kind of weapons you're using, but friede has next to no poise, so if you use something big and heavy you can stunlock her pretty easily and get in a bunch of free hits. she will eventually do an emergency ninja flip that breaks her free no matter what, but IMO bashing her over the head with a big weapon is the best way to go.

I was thinking of starting a game and using vordt's mace thing all the way through. That thing is ridiculous.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Ariandel itself is kinda easy as piss and I wholeheartedly recommend doing it earlier while it still poses a relative challenge; I usually slot it in just before/after Irithyll Dungeon + Profaned Capital to make up for the lack of content in those zones. Friede can be saved for later though cause lol @ fighting her at +6 with like, 10 lovely flasks :eyepop:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

And the only real thing you get from beating her is the ability to go on to the next DLC which is geared for like, level 100 characters. Yeah no thanks.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Digirat posted:

you’re updating it in the middle of a save? That sounds like a good way to break things.

The mod maker so far has mentioned any save breaking issues in new patches, and I haven’t had any problems. Anyway, that play through is done. Spun to win against soul of cinder with the dancer’s enchanted swords and killed both phases more or less instantly. Started a new game with a dark build and am having fun with the covenant that adds more enemies and increases aggression. Hopefully it will still be a while before I find something ridiculously overpowered and break the game. Casters really do feel more fun and satisfying to play, not just easier, and the it’s great to be able to go and get whatever gear or weapons you want. There are definitely some really unbalanced builds possible, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Early access to Dreg Heap can be handy if you want to suicide rush for loot (splitleaf doesn’t even require that, but there’s also the war banner, murky staff, great soul dregs, +3 rings, lots of chunks, some nice clothes). If you can take Demon Prince at low levels you can get a lot more fun stuff to rush to in Ringed City itself, but that’s even more of a pain in the rear end than low level Friede.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Freaking Crumbum posted:

I have the Irithyll SS, Vordt’s Hammer, and a Great Heavy Axe all maxed out. Doing damage and stunlocking her isn’t an issue. It’s just taking damage on that stupid grab.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

vandalism posted:

I always summon people for poo poo I can't deal with. I wonder what it would be like to try to solo through all the bosses. I'd get owned hard probably.

IMO summoning for most bosses is a mixed blessing at best, as the increase in boss health / defense means the other player has to be decently competent or else you can end up in a scenario where your phantom dies and now you have to solo fight the boss, only it's arbitrarily harder because it doesn't de-scale the phantom buff if the phantom dies.

the main benefit to me is for bosses that don't have much / any AoE damage and can't track multiple targets at once. dancer is a classic example where she becomes trivial if there's two players, as long as whichever player she focuses on just kites her around while the other person stabs her in the butt.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I have wanted to start a bleed luck build but everyone says it's bad. However, bandit knife owns and does huge damage early on. Bleed seems real fun. I'd need a plan for midair (lol) cause he's bleed immune, but that's way down the line. I also am pretty much committed if I start as a thief. If I start as a knight I can work that way and use some other builds if I get sick of bleed.

I'm thinking about thos bleeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

vandalism posted:

I have wanted to start a bleed luck build but everyone says it's bad. However, bandit knife owns and does huge damage early on. Bleed seems real fun. I'd need a plan for midair (lol) cause he's bleed immune, but that's way down the line. I also am pretty much committed if I start as a thief. If I start as a knight I can work that way and use some other builds if I get sick of bleed.

I'm thinking about thos bleeds

Hollow infused weapon for luck scaling?