Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/marwilliamson/status/1155175736141127680?s=20

the crystal queen is right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

A bank that regularly gives out small business loans to pell grant qualified persons is the most clinton apparatchik fantasy.

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Condiv posted:

No wonder liberals love the ACA so much. It’s p much the king of numbers fuckensteinery

liberals love number fuckery because the more complicated it is, the easier it is for them to pretend that "actually this is good and you don't understand it", scratching both the elitist itch as well as bog standard maintaining plausible deniability to the horrors of the world.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Well we'll have to see if NJ goes red because of this....

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

"compares"?

They loving are

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Git 'em Bern

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Reverend Dr posted:

liberals love number fuckery because the more complicated it is, the easier it is for them to pretend that "actually this is good and you don't understand it", scratching both the elitist itch as well as bog standard maintaining plausible deniability to the horrors of the world.

Also gives them the vicarious thrill of making the poor eat their vegetables. What would be the appeal of the welfare state if you didn't use it to ruthlessly winnow out the worth from the unworthy? It's crucially important we don't accidentally help out the wrong kind of needy person.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

joepinetree posted:

Nothing else in this campaign will be the perfect encapsulation of neoliberal thinking as this Kamala policy.

This monstrosity creates:
- Multiple points at which you can be rejected (didn't qualify for pell, didn't graduate, didn't create a business in the right district, etc)
- Multiple points where the program can be severely gutted by a technical change in definitions, so it can be rendered useless without repeal
- Multiple opportunities for ancillary people to profit from it: evaluation grants, training grants to help people apply for it, etc.
- To set up a policy that is as likely to leave intended recipients much worse off as it is likely to help people. Maybe your business survives for 3 years and you get the 20k reduction. Or maybe you incur multiple times that in dept, only for your business to fail 2 years in and you to have student debt AND a bankruptcy on top of.

Again, this requires the college graduates in the most precarious position (pell grant recipients with substantial student loan) to take perhaps the riskiest business decision (open your own business in a poor neighborhood) with absolutely no relief in case of failure.

You aren't assuming enough malice on Kamala's part. It's clear that her issues are pathological.

It creates urban blight that tough on crime politicians like her can point to as an excuse to execute pogroms against black people.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also the scions of the elite classes can get well-paying jobs administering the whole thing, which fulfills the very important dual purpose of letting them feel that they're doing a very important public service letting them lord over their natural inferiors, as it should be.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Congrats to Kamala to coming up with an even more insane program than Beto's 'war tax'

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Speaking of which, when will Democrats learn that lame sops to The Troops is a complete no go for them?

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

PSA guys come off as psychopaths sometimes with they way they view politics as some kind of blood-sport and seem to be okay with gross levels of manipulation that they label as "GENIUS MOVE BY DEMS! WHOOA!"

The Alpha Centauri
Feb 15, 2019

:killing:

whats going to be the reaction when DNC steals it from bernie again

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
I think Kamala Harris might be loving stupid, guys.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, when will Democrats learn that lame sops to The Troops is a complete no go for them?

Rahm Emmanuel got them the 2006 Blue Wave by running as many troop candidates as possible.

Now, you might say that 2006 was going to be a Blue Wave no matter what, and the fact that the candidates were troops didn't matter
Now, you might say that those troop Dems became a new generation of Blue Dogs who hamstrung Obama in the first two years of his first term, preventing the Democrats from doing much of anything while they held the entire Federal Government
Now, you might even say that almost all of those troop Dems got loving murdered in the 2010 Tea Party wave.

But you would only say those things if you didn't support the troops.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/laurenegambino/status/1155496269655134208?s=20

i cannot believe people are trying to spin a picture of bernie panders taunting a diabetic with a vial of insulin as a positive

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Halloween Jack posted:

When we’re all dead

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, when will Democrats learn

Stop you right there.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Condiv posted:

i cannot believe people are trying to spin a picture of bernie panders taunting a diabetic with a vial of insulin as a positive

Immediately after this image, Bernie drops the vial on the ground and steps on it.

Cerebral Bore posted:

The platonic ideal of centrist dem policy is some Rube Goldberg-esque system constantly falling apart under its own weight that ends up helping about three people total and that the Dem fanboys will defend until they're blue in the face by accusing everybody who sees the obvious flaws of not caring about those three people.

The final form of liberal policy is to just hold a single person hostage. Just flat-out be like "we will pay for life-saving medication for Melissa Baker of Dayton Ohio" and then accuse everyone who doesn't support the Dems of being a piece of poo poo who wants Melissa to die.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

FlamingLiberal posted:

Congrats to Kamala to coming up with an even more insane program than Beto's 'war tax'

At least a war tax might have the positive side effect of making us a tiny bit less likely to wage war on Paraguay for not buying enough Taylor Swift CD's.

Kamala's plan is a mess of if/then, if/then, if/then, MAYBE then if/then. Shark Tank shouldn't be ran by the federal government.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Since you can't travel to the future to prove that Medicare For All will help Melissa Dayton, obviously anyone supporting it is trying to take away the health care she has right now and kill her.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blackmet posted:

At least a war tax might have the positive side effect of making us a tiny bit less likely to wage war on Paraguay for not buying enough Taylor Swift CD's.

No it won't Republicans will just campaign against the war tax because deficits don't matter

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
has anyone at all said good things about kamala's plan in the last twelve hours? literally anyone

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Since you can't travel to the future to prove that Medicare For All will help Melissa Dayton, obviously anyone supporting it is trying to take away the health care she has right now and kill her.

On the abc show this morning, rahm Emanuel and whoever is the Democratic woman on the panel literally said that Medicare for all is taking people's health insurance away to give it to illegal immigrants. They said that as the Democrats in the panel

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Solkanar512 posted:

What the gently caress is this bullshit? "I'm sorry you decided to become a pediatrician or a social worker but we only give a poo poo about ENTREPRENEURS".

Fundamentally, the idea behind it (as with a lot of other conditional social programs) isn't really to help people", it's to incentivize a desired behavior by dangling the offer of help as a carrot. And remember, these are liberal capitalist wonks, so their perception of things is a little different and they believe that entrepreneurship and business are good for everyone involved.

In this case, I suspect the wonks believe that opening businesses is the real "helping people" in this program. The student loan forgiveness isn't the benefit, it's just an incentive to direct poor people toward the "benefit" of business ownership. Similarly, the disadvantaged communities requirement is an extra condition because they believe that businesses benefit the community around them, and therefore this double helps the poor by directing the "benefit" of having a business into poor communities.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Main Paineframe posted:

Fundamentally, the idea behind it (as with a lot of other conditional social programs) isn't really to help people", it's to incentivize a desired behavior by dangling the offer of help as a carrot. And remember, these are liberal capitalist wonks, so their perception of things is a little different and they believe that entrepreneurship and business are good for everyone involved.

In this case, I suspect the wonks believe that opening businesses is the real "helping people" in this program. The student loan forgiveness isn't the benefit, it's just an incentive to direct poor people toward the "benefit" of business ownership. Similarly, the disadvantaged communities requirement is an extra condition because they believe that businesses benefit the community around them, and therefore this double helps the poor by directing the "benefit" of having a business into poor communities.

Ignoring, of course, that the real barrier to entrepreneurship is health care costs

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

He got mad that his finance, pharma, real estate, and oil bros don't appreciate the good job he did.

He literally got on TV, on a talk-show, on a therapist's couch, and said how mad he was that the people he saved from consequences didn't understand how much he did on their behalf.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ignoring, of course, that the real barrier to entrepreneurship is health care costs

Well, sure. As well as the fact that the reason poor communities tend to be underserved by businesses is because poor people don't make for a very profitable customer base, and directing poor indebted entrepeneurs to create businesses in less profitable area sounds a lot like setting them up to fail. But the wonks rarely let facts get in the way of their ideology.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Main Paineframe posted:

Well, sure. As well as the fact that the reason poor communities tend to be underserved by businesses is because poor people don't make for a very profitable customer base,
Especially when the last neoliberal technocrat president allowed the banks to gut these neighbourhoods of working class homeowners.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

This reminds me. Pls stop talking about President Tom Cotton and Dan Crenshaw. Of course it could happen but it'll definitely happen if we keep talking about it like it's already decided.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Cool okay then well I guess now you're going to go back to your conservative friend and regurgitate this, can't wait for tomorrow's next crop of hot disingenuous garbage :)

I do mean it: keep this stuff coming it's nice to hear the bullshit they're dreaming up and watch it get swatted down.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
I know we're all taking time to dunk all over Harris' dumbass student loan "forgiveness" plan but since I've been let out of cat jail early I just wanted to make it clear that this post was not sarcasm and I actually do hope you keep posting the poo poo-tier hot takes of your conservative friends so that the thread can lay out why they're dumb as all hell for you. At first, the day before this one, I did think you were some rereg for the purpose of trolling this thread, but at any rate it seems clear you were posting in earnest so Eschenique sorry if the intent of the above post wasn't clear and I drove you off.

:justpost:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Condiv posted:

Calibanibalposting by non-Calibanibals should be banibal

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Loan forgiveness for slumlords.

This is too good to leave on the bottom of the last page.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
This is my favorite so far

https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/1155553378879098882

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Has any other "major" candidate gotten ratio'ed this bad on twitter before?

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

has anyone at all said good things about kamala's plan in the last twelve hours? literally anyone

She'll be in an interview within the week saying the exact opposite so who cares.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i stumbled across the Beto O’rourke thirst squad

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

buddhist nudist posted:

She'll be in an interview within the week saying the exact opposite so who cares.

I want to boggle at the wildest lib takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

mcmagic posted:

You're gonna be disappointed. I doubt Bernie would even go hard at Biden. He's going to hug Warren.

Hopefully he just points out how universal plans are simply better.