Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Oh thanks for this info, didn't know it would be available anywhere. That'll be the only new game I buy I guess.

Yeah, it's on the BGG Gen Con Preview tool, which is in general a super useful pre-convention tool. You can even pre-order directly from it now, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Shadow225 posted:

How do you feel about the monorail part? My policy on modular expansions is to avoid them unless it is easy enough to include all of them. This is actually the deciding factor on if I keep Barenpark or Kingdomino, as they both occupy roughly the same space.

It's just a simple addition: whenever you play a green tile you may play a pillar; if it's exactly three spaces away from another pillar with fewer than two monorails attached then you can attach a monorail between them at a 90 degree angle from any existing monorail; and all your monorails must form a single continuous chain. The main problem with the monorail is that if you want to keep the expansion in the box with the base game, you need to store the pillars collapsed.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Someone local to me is selling Wir Sind Das Volk! dirt cheap. Am I right in thinking it's very highly regarded by certain goons?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Someone local to me is selling Wir Sind Das Volk! dirt cheap. Am I right in thinking it's very highly regarded by certain goons?

I really like it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It's really good but have a look at what printing it is. The newer printings have some small rule changes in order to balance the sides. The rule changes only really affect a particular strategy which isn't something immediately obvious so even if you have the original printing it shouldn't be a problem, but the changes they made are still recommended. The expansion, 2+2, is also really good.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

It's really good but have a look at what printing it is. The newer printings have some small rule changes in order to balance the sides. The rule changes only really affect a particular strategy which isn't something immediately obvious so even if you have the original printing it shouldn't be a problem, but the changes they made are still recommended. The expansion, 2+2, is also really good.

Aren't the changes "add one extra token somewhere during setup"?

Anyway, it's a very good game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

Aren't the changes "add one extra token somewhere during setup"?

Anyway, it's a very good game.
There are a few changes to both setup and gameplay, IIRC

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Tekopo posted:

Ah, ok, nevermind then.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Is there a way to tell printings apart? I can't find anything on BGG or the publisher website.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It might not be possible. If you get the first printing, just find the 2+2 rulebook PDF online, it has all of the balance changes. I don't think it'll matter too much if you get an earlier printing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Jedit posted:

It's just a simple addition: whenever you play a green tile you may play a pillar; if it's exactly three spaces away from another pillar with fewer than two monorails attached then you can attach a monorail between them at a 90 degree angle from any existing monorail; and all your monorails must form a single continuous chain. The main problem with the monorail is that if you want to keep the expansion in the box with the base game, you need to store the pillars collapsed.

cheers mate.
BGG finally had a pic uploaded, and yeah that doesn't look bad at all. Think I'll pull ye olde trigger.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
PSA: Anyone who has Mega Civ, if you've messaged 999 Games you should have gotten your code to have your errata kit shipped at no cost to you!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

WsdV is better than twilight struggle for both its clarity of cards and less Byzantine instant death gotcha BS. You might lose out on the finer bits of play but you still have the same gravity per choice.

I also didn’t know that later printings had the errata. I got 2+2 before I got the base game so I got the errata drilled in before I even played the game lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

On the other hand the game’s pacing can hit a frustrating stalemate where both sides are doing a useless tug of war “I remove this, I put it right back.” It gets compared to TS for obvious reasons but it’s more like adult El Grande and can fall into a similar trap where you’re just taking potshots because nothing exciting is available.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am also a huge fan of the frustration in games like absolutely aces and this guilty land. Tom Russell is a master of that style of game.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Tekopo posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just setup.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Papes posted:

I’m pretty sure it’s just setup.

Gameplay too. Every time the east wishes to use the special card, east gets a choice of discarding a card or give west an extra card draw.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

I am also a huge fan of the frustration in games like absolutely aces and this guilty land. Tom Russell is a master of that style of game.

I feel like I was playing absolutely aces wrong. It barely felt like a game, it was just some luck of the draw nonsense.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Jordan7hm posted:

I feel like I was playing absolutely aces wrong. It barely felt like a game, it was just some luck of the draw nonsense.

It is barely a game, there is some skill in the risk/reward of what you use as the initial bid card, but after that I think the game is completely determined if both players don’t make mistakes. It’s hard to see the line of play exactly but usually it’s there and doing it correctly is the only variance.

It’s a very stripped down Onitama with cool pilot cat art and no board

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Here's my test print of my The Great Zimbabwe redesign. Everything looks pretty bold on paper but will fade nicely when I do it on wood. I may change the god text to black unless I decide to do it on stained wood.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RIP Richard Berg. He was basically the last of the wargaming old guard.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Chill la Chill posted:

Did anyone here ever get to play Queen’s Gambit? I assume it’s highly coveted mostly due to price, but I’m curious if it’s actually any good.

Also, ground floor? I recall it had people hyped for the reprint. Nobody talks about it now but that’s par for the course for anything that isn’t a midweight euro.

semi related board games with Scott tweet https://twitter.com/snicholson/status/1155207373096701953?s=20

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Didn’t know Scott was still in the hobby, his Twitter is as goofy and lovable as his old YouTube channel.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I got Martin Wallace’s automobile. Forgot who it was in here that suggested it to me but looking through the rules and it’s looking good. Apparently they have a deluxe version with wooden cars but the cardboard tiles in the normal version is extra THICC. You thought 1846’s tiles were nice? This is disgustingly EGG+ levels of thickness.

I always forget that game has that huge 3d tower and how long it must take to set it up. Game looks wonderful and someone should tell FFG to make it for the new trilogy.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Funny I just re-acquired it myself.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mayveena posted:

Funny I just re-acquired it myself.

Is there a reason why the demand tiles are switched for mass/middle class between the 2nd and 3rd turn? Seems like an easy rule to overlook.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Tek was saying it's the best Wallace game iirc.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there a reason why the demand tiles are switched for mass/middle class between the 2nd and 3rd turn? Seems like an easy rule to overlook.
First of all, there's a mayfair wooden bits version, which is the better version. The art of the board is functional at best, but the wooden bits are easier to count and keep track of and the art in the second version is so loving busy that you get lost in the details.

The reason why the demand switch is both due to theme and also due to the balance and distribution of the board cars types around the board.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tekopo posted:

First of all, there's a mayfair wooden bits version, which is the better version. The art of the board is functional at best, but the wooden bits are easier to count and keep track of and the art in the second version is so loving busy that you get lost in the details.

The reason why the demand switch is both due to theme and also due to the balance and distribution of the board cars types around the board.

I saw the wooden bits note in the box and thought about looking for a set but nah, these tiles are THICC. I thought about the theme after I made the post and it made sense wrt car availability, but wondered if mechanically it mattered. Thanks

Alternatively:

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 28, 2019

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
How do people find out of print board games? I guess I waited too long to get Can't Stop and now it's running out of stock everywhere. I looked at the BGG marketplace but most of the versions are 'multilingual' and I don't actually know what I'm getting.

OR... are there any Canadian goons who would be willing to help? I found one place that has it but they don't ship to me.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

There's literally no non-numeral text in Can't Stop, go multilingual.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

El Fideo posted:

There's literally no non-numeral text in Can't Stop, go multilingual.

If I can confirm it has the plastic board, I certainly will. I wasn't able to figure out if it was just cardboard or something.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Magnetic North posted:

How do people find out of print board games? I guess I waited too long to get Can't Stop and now it's running out of stock everywhere. I looked at the BGG marketplace but most of the versions are 'multilingual' and I don't actually know what I'm getting.

OR... are there any Canadian goons who would be willing to help? I found one place that has it but they don't ship to me.

Bgg marketplace is where I buy my oop stuff.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Papes posted:

Bgg marketplace is where I buy my oop stuff.

Me as well especially since folks can link their eBay auctions.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I played Hansa Teutonica for the first time yesterday, and now I too am interested in acquiring an OOP game.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I impulse-bought Cuba Libre because of stacking holiday discounts. How much did I gently caress up :ohdear:

lummawks
Apr 28, 2010

Pierzak posted:

I impulse-bought Cuba Libre because of stacking holiday discounts. How much did I gently caress up :ohdear:
My first COIN game was A Distant Plain and I love it, welcome to the rabbit hole

lummawks fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 28, 2019

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Pierzak posted:

CL is great.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Every COIN game you like is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

CaptainRightful posted:

I played Hansa Teutonica for the first time yesterday, and now I too am interested in acquiring an OOP game.

If you're in Australia we might be able to sort something out, that game bounced hard in my group.