Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

this is just the celebrity lottery for the new generation, what we're not seeing is the hundreds of thousands of failed accounts that tried the same gimmick, but weren't anointed by the Algorithm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And also rigged as hell to kids whose parents can afford marketing firms.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gorman Thomas posted:

im really high right now, watched this video and got nausea. This kids channel has 20 million subs, the species is loving doomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjfFankblYA

yeah it's pretty sick to pimp kids out for advertising and money like this

shirts and skins posted:

Oh no the youths like something that we find distasteful and don't understand

This is without precedent in world history

lol this isn't about the youths

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Ruffian Price posted:

this is just the celebrity lottery for the new generation, what we're not seeing is the hundreds of thousands of failed accounts that tried the same gimmick, but weren't anointed by the Algorithm

It's "just" the same thing as before, but now fueled by ever more insidious algorithms and on a platform designed to auto-feed it as efficiently as possible to children before their loving brains even develop, without any input from the adults.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

This is without precedent in world history

It actually is without precedent. There is a whole genre of these "celebrity kids" on youtube and it gets really creepy really fast. They get millions of views from kids their age and pedophiles for just making dumb little videos like this. The parents that actually run their channels always turn out to be child abusing scumbags and eventually get arrested but the money they get is so lucrative that more and more of these channels keep popping up. And of course youtube does the bare minimum to police this evil poo poo. Look up daddyofive if you have a strong stomach and be glad his videos have been scrubbed from the internet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

shirts and skins posted:

Uh-huh we just don't understand capitalism. What is it? An unknowable.

e: Didn't even notice this is the motherfucking capitalism.png thread lmao you dolt.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It actually is without precedent. There is a whole genre of these "celebrity kids" on youtube and it gets really creepy really fast.

My daughter has a couple of friends that are instagram/youtube/etc "famous" (just a couple thousand followers/views/etc) and it's super creepy.

When one of the friends posts a new video/photo it gets tons views. I asked my daughter who she thinks are these thousands of views and she thinks it's just other kids.

It's 100% creepy old perverts in the comments. These are 13 year olds. The parents are terrified of being the old people that "just don't get it" so they let their kids post whatever.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Koishi Komeiji posted:

It actually is without precedent. There is a whole genre of these "celebrity kids" on youtube and it gets really creepy really fast. They get millions of views from kids their age and pedophiles for just making dumb little videos like this. The parents that actually run their channels always turn out to be child abusing scumbags and eventually get arrested but the money they get is so lucrative that more and more of these channels keep popping up. And of course youtube does the bare minimum to police this evil poo poo. Look up daddyofive if you have a strong stomach and be glad his videos have been scrubbed from the internet.

shirly temple

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How is a famous child actress the same as parents pimping out their kids for advertising money on a platform that also then recommends you to watch other little kids doing gymnastics in tights?

But yeah Hollywood should probably be purged regardless.

e: Also in CA the salaries of child actor's are protected as 100% theirs (as opposed to 'family money') and also 15% of every paycheck is also put into a blocked trust that only the actor can access when they turn 18. Whereas I am pretty drat sure that YouTube has no such stipulations or rules or anything which yeah makes it worse because the parents get rich and the kid is potentially hosed over when they turn of age. It's real cool that we've created a method for wildly abusive people to profit off their children who can just get tossed out on their rear end when they are 18 with no protection for them or repercussion for the parents.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 17:10 on Jul 28, 2019

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

My daughter has a couple of friends that are instagram/youtube/etc "famous" (just a couple thousand followers/views/etc) and it's super creepy.

When one of the friends posts a new video/photo it gets tons views. I asked my daughter who she thinks are these thousands of views and she thinks it's just other kids.

It's 100% creepy old perverts in the comments. These are 13 year olds. The parents are terrified of being the old people that "just don't get it" so they let their kids post whatever.

Between this and all those unboxing children's toys videos and kids saying "like comment and subscribe" instead of goodbye to people irl it is quit possible that this coming generation will be worse than the baby boomers. :smith:

got any sevens posted:

shirly temple

I get what you're saying but what is without precedent is the extremely low barrier to entry for this poo poo. Anyone with a kid, a cheap camera, and no morals can make a channel and see it explode in just a few days. Some will even adopt a kid just to pull this scheme.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Koishi Komeiji posted:

Between this and all those unboxing children's toys videos and kids saying "like comment and subscribe" instead of goodbye to people irl it is quit possible that this coming generation will be worse than the baby boomers. :smith:

Is pewdipie a capitalism thing? Because I teach kids and they wear his merchandise at school.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Is pewdipie a capitalism thing? Because I teach kids and they wear his merchandise at school.

He gets paid millions of dollars to say the n-word to children while playing video games, so yeah it's a capitalism thing.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah that was more or less low effort trolling on my part, but lol at bigging up CA's protections for child actors as an argument about how bad YouTube is

Well known non-exploited class, child actors, who have never been subject to things like fake adoption or parents who want to use them to make money from advertising

Anyway, yes, that is right, the answer is that capitalism is responsible for the same pressures on both child actors and YouTube children and the latter is certainly not without precedent

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Gonna be pretty wild when these former YouTube stars are 22 and suing their parents so they can pay back their crack dealers.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

bike tory posted:

Some of the people I know who answer emails on the weekend and poo poo it's so that they're under less pressure when they're actually at work. My partner does it every now and then when she's got a bunch of meetings on Monday because otherwise she has to spend two or three hours answering them on Monday morning and then works herself ragged still trying to do everything else.

I understand what you're saying, but what this amounts to is the same as unpaid overtime. They give her more than 40 hours of work a week to do, and... she finds a way to do it.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I've heard elementary school kids say this as a way of saying goodbye.

Low prices to you all, by the way.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

got any sevens posted:

is the Loft run by nazis

They might be, but this is a common retail pricing thing. We have real live actual Nazism in the streets, no need to go hunting for it.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Moridin920 posted:

How is a famous child actress the same as parents pimping out their kids for advertising money on a platform that also then recommends you to watch other little kids doing gymnastics in tights?

But yeah Hollywood should probably be purged regardless.

e: Also in CA the salaries of child actor's are protected as 100% theirs (as opposed to 'family money') and also 15% of every paycheck is also put into a blocked trust that only the actor can access when they turn 18. Whereas I am pretty drat sure that YouTube has no such stipulations or rules or anything which yeah makes it worse because the parents get rich and the kid is potentially hosed over when they turn of age. It's real cool that we've created a method for wildly abusive people to profit off their children who can just get tossed out on their rear end when they are 18 with no protection for them or repercussion for the parents.

Apparently YouTube now requires video makers to follow state laws with respect to child actors, so assumedly California YT parents are properly Cooganing their children, but I somehow doubt it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

They might be, but this is a common retail pricing thing. We have real live actual Nazism in the streets, no need to go hunting for it.

i saw people freaking out on twitter over digital 8-segment displays being shown with all their digits displaying 8s, and like, no, that's not a nazi thing, that's a 'show everything lit up' thing.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
So I've been working to moderate my 4 year old's use of YouTube. First of all, YouTube Kids is not available on the Amazon store (he has a Fire 8 "Kids Edition" using a parental control launcher called Freetime). You'd think the Fire "Kids Edition" would include Google's own walled garden app for YouTube, but...

Hey stop laughing, dammit!

So then I tried to turn on Restricted Mode in his YouTube account (before discovering that this is an account-blind, app-level setting, so I only succeeded in putting YouTube on my phone in Restricted Mode, leaving the YouTube app in Amazon Freetime completely open).

STOP LAUGHING!

So I turned on Restricted Mode on the tablet. Since he's been watching some Minecraft jerk who drops f-bombs and griefs other players pretty bad, I did a search for kid friendly Minecraft videos. There is literally a channel called "Family Friendly Minecraft", but it's filtered by Restricted Mode. Guess who isn't filtered by Restricted Mode? The jerk who swears.

Seriously. Stop. Laughing.

Then I went looking for a way to block access to the jerk's channel, but discovered there is literally NO mechanism in the YouTube app for hiding, ignoring, blocking, or filtering channels. It looks like neither Amazon Freetime nor YouTube itself provide the resources to curate my son's experience, beyond "all or nothing".

I'm a little hopeful about something Google offers called Family Link, but it looks like I'm going to have to ditch Amazon Freetime (possibly the entire Fire OS) to really use it.

You can laugh now. We're hosed.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I knew people who watched those videos and they are the same kind of people who have been on disability simply for being too fat for decades and spend every day posting poo poo to facebook about how the "coloureds" are screwing up their town that hasn't had industry in it since 1967.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

anonumos posted:

Since he's been watching some Minecraft jerk who drops f-bombs and griefs other players pretty bad, I did a search for kid friendly Minecraft videos. There is literally a channel called "Family Friendly Minecraft", but it's filtered by Restricted Mode. Guess who isn't filtered by Restricted Mode? The jerk who swears.

So my kids have done this (watch someone play a game). I could understand if kids wanted to watch someone play a game so that they could figure out how to beat a level, or do something cool, but if you have the game why don't you just play it yourself?

I'm assuming it's the ceaseless talking of the person in the video so it's probably the equivilant of a podcast for kids (or something like that).

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I think most parents are waiting for Disney’s tentacles to hit streaming and then they’ll bail from Google’s paedo friendly platform

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

By that logic spectator sports wouldn’t exist.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I've never watched a game stream but I think I get it. In highschool we used to hang out at my buddy's place and shoot the poo poo while he beat a jrpg or something, it was fun. I think streaming is kind of the same thing.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

anonumos posted:

So I've been working to moderate my 4 year old's use of YouTube.

That is the saddest sentence I've read all day.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

It is, and Walmart does it all the time too...

But it's 2019 and it would be piss easy to never ever do that

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

SplitSoul posted:

That is the saddest sentence I've read all day.

What's sad is that I SHOULD be able to restrict his YouTube account and work to whitelist channels I like him watching, but they choose not to allow this. It's the simplest way to let parents moderate underage viewing, but they deliberately avoid implementing such a feature.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
there must be a YouTube viewer app that lets parents do just that. if not it seems like a missed opportunity

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
you could just not have your kid watch youtube, dude, it's not that hard

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Weatherman posted:

you could just not have your kid watch youtube, dude, it's not that hard

At this point this is literally the only option left

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
why does a four-year-old have a tablet in the first place?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Every other parent on Earth gives their kids tablets and phones starting at 3, so there's a kind of pre-emptive strike mentality to it that if you teach them how to be responsible with the internet early, it'll keep them from getting poisoned by the other kids whose parents let them watch pewdiepie and other racists

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

By that logic spectator sports wouldn’t exist.

I don't really think so.

It's easy to stop watching youtube and pick up the playstation controller. It's a little more involved to go play sportsball.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Every other parent on Earth gives their kids tablets and phones starting at 3, so there's a kind of pre-emptive strike mentality to it that if you teach them how to be responsible with the internet early, it'll keep them from getting poisoned by the other kids whose parents let them watch pewdiepie and other racists

*nods head consumerly*

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

spacetoaster posted:

I don't really think so.

It's easy to stop watching youtube and pick up the playstation controller. It's a little more involved to go play sportsball.

*nods head consumerly*

I've heard it as "friendship by proxy", since these twitch/YouTube players never stop talking (and on twitch at least can read and reply to you in real time) it's easy to get into a "I like this guy and can get invested in his struggles" in more than a TV sort of way. For many that I see in comments and chat, it can literally turn into a one-sided friendship.

Plus no matter how passive the game is, it isn't as passive as just watching a video so if you're feeling lazy or tired then it's easier than playing yourself.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

the pile of dirt was good enough for me, it'll be good enough for my spawn

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
get your kids on youtube as early as possible, those jordan peterson videos aint gonna watch themselves.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

I've heard it as "friendship by proxy", since these twitch/YouTube players never stop talking (and on twitch at least can read and reply to you in real time) it's easy to get into a "I like this guy and can get invested in his struggles" in more than a TV sort of way. For many that I see in comments and chat, it can literally turn into a one-sided friendship.

Plus no matter how passive the game is, it isn't as passive as just watching a video so if you're feeling lazy or tired then it's easier than playing yourself.

has there been an incident yet of a game player being stalked by one of their fans who think they want to be friends

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Lpzie posted:

the pile of dirt was good enough for me, it'll be good enough for my spawn

Such an eloquent defense of children watching hours of youtube and pewdiepie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

has there been an incident yet of a game player being stalked by one of their fans who think they want to be friends

dozens, probably hundreds

a huge number of people who watch streams all day think that the streamer is their personal friend (even if the streamer only talks to them after receiving money)

this is doubly true for lonely weirdos who obsess over specific egirls