Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also you guys can't be loving serious about complaining about that, you think having the characters get around the table and give a verbal synopsis of the plot to-date would have been a better/more entertaining use of time??

It would certainly have been a better means of introducing the characters to each other, yes. From everyone else's point of view, Riker just watches the Enterprise Staff Induction VHS and then he's just ... there, in the chair next to the Captain's. It's very Gene Roddenberry, like of course humans will absorb information in the most efficient means possible in the 24th century :rolleyes:, but it means that the only way they can show us how Riker is a competent, we'll-make-it-happen, sir-yes-sir officer is is through manually rejoining the saucer to the rest of the ship, which is even acknowledged as pointless in the show. It also means that the old wounds between Riker and Troi are sort of waved about on the bridge - 'oh hi Bill :(' 'hi Imzadi :(' - and then buried under the rest of the plot happening around them.

I think a 'this is your new First Officer, here's what we know so far, what do you think, please ignore the ice clouds forming around Counselor Troi for some reason' scene would have worked better for TV. Granted that's with hindsight, knowing that this was coming off the back of TOS which didn't really do the 'call a meeting' scenes, and Riker ends up forgotten about anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS totally had conference room scenes. They weren’t as much of a staple as in TNG, but they were there. The only scene I can actually recall with them is when Kirk gets tried for being old in the poo poo episode where they all get old, but there are others.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

skasion posted:

TOS totally had conference room scenes. They weren’t as much of a staple as in TNG, but they were there. The only scene I can actually recall with them is when Kirk gets tried for being old in the poo poo episode where they all get old, but there are others.

"Risk...is our business!" was a conference room scene IIRC.

piratepilates posted:

This was absolutely awful, I do not care for this at all . It feels like some out of work aspiring actors tried to make a fan show about star trek but one of them had a rich dad .

For a second I thought you were talking about the TOS "Cage" and I was astounded by your amazingly poor taste,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Astroman posted:

"Risk...is our business!" was a conference room scene IIRC.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIU3HrCCT2k

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Wow, good for them to know to cut that poo poo down. This is like watching a painful audition monologue, and the broadcast version was already named one of the most cliche-ridden TOS speeches.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The whole saucer separation thing could've made sense if they ever went into the premise they started with that there was some kind of significant civilian population onboard. It's an idea to make some kind of sense out of the weirdest spaceship design ever at least.

I keep thinking that it'd be neat if there was some kind of university/research institute onboard with just one character to be like the headmaster always wrangling these just offscreen scientists. The crew as is never really seemed to be that dedicated to research or actually getting some information out of whatever they're exploring except as an occasional hobby that they drop immediately whenever something weird happens.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Alright I've gotta ask, why the hell is her name Michael?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Why not?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

piratepilates posted:

Bryan Fuller has a thing about giving his female characters names that are traditionally male, though I've seen people mention knowing female Michaels.

It threw me off when I stared watching Disco because I figured Sarek got her as a baby and simply didn't know about human names, except I later realized Amanda would've.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

SlothfulCobra posted:

The whole saucer separation thing could've made sense if they ever went into the premise they started with that there was some kind of significant civilian population onboard. It's an idea to make some kind of sense out of the weirdest spaceship design ever at least.

I keep thinking that it'd be neat if there was some kind of university/research institute onboard with just one character to be like the headmaster always wrangling these just offscreen scientists. The crew as is never really seemed to be that dedicated to research or actually getting some information out of whatever they're exploring except as an occasional hobby that they drop immediately whenever something weird happens.

To be fair it does show that, there are multiple research teams constantly fighting for use of the varying scanners to investigate their pet research projects that Riker is constantly having to wrangle and schedule fairly, and in the alternate timeline where Picard never gets stabbed through the heart, he is on one of those teams running reports from astrophysics to LaForge.

Also something I like is the varying phaser designs the ships have, they look pretty cool, like the big ring on the saucer of the enterprise d or the little lines along the voyager's sides. I like that they aren't just guns, they are lasers designed to fire at any point along those tracks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

davidspackage posted:

Bryan Fuller has a thing about giving his female characters names that are traditionally male, though I've seen people mention knowing female Michaels.

I knew one. There was a trend for it briefly because of some female singer named Michael in the 80s, apparently?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There is an actress in Crazy Ex Girlfriend called Michael but it's a nickname from high school because she was a big fan of Michael Jackson, and it just stuck.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Upon watching What We Left Behind it would be loving hilarious if they kill Nog off in the Picard show.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

spincube posted:

It would certainly have been a better means of introducing the characters to each other, yes. From everyone else's point of view, Riker just watches the Enterprise Staff Induction VHS and then he's just ... there, in the chair next to the Captain's. It's very Gene Roddenberry, like of course humans will absorb information in the most efficient means possible in the 24th century :rolleyes:, but it means that the only way they can show us how Riker is a competent, we'll-make-it-happen, sir-yes-sir officer is is through manually rejoining the saucer to the rest of the ship, which is even acknowledged as pointless in the show. It also means that the old wounds between Riker and Troi are sort of waved about on the bridge - 'oh hi Bill :(' 'hi Imzadi :(' - and then buried under the rest of the plot happening around them.

I think a 'this is your new First Officer, here's what we know so far, what do you think, please ignore the ice clouds forming around Counselor Troi for some reason' scene would have worked better for TV. Granted that's with hindsight, knowing that this was coming off the back of TOS which didn't really do the 'call a meeting' scenes, and Riker ends up forgotten about anyway.

I really don't think it would have played well to spend five minutes verbally recapping what we just saw. In the alternate universe where they went with this approach, I think that would be one of the big things that people roll their eyes at when Early TNG is brought up.

"lol and then in case you fell asleep during the first fifteen minutes of the show, we get to see the crew spend five minutes delivering a synopsis of what just happened!"

EDIT: I mean, there's a difference between that, and the conference room scenes where everyone's pretty much already up to speed and the real discussion is about what it means and how to proceed. Now, if you wanted to follow up the instant replay with a conference room scene, that I could see working better.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 28, 2019

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I kind of like that idea. The University of Enterprise. (And when one of their brainstorms gets used to improve the efficiency of a weapons system, hoo boy do they raise holy hell about it.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"lol and then in case you fell asleep during the first fifteen minutes of the show, we get to see the crew spend five minutes delivering a synopsis of what just happened!"

I find this hilarious because that's excactly what Star Trek had always done with Captain's Logs after each commercial break.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Didn't Bryan Singer turn out to be a big criminal?

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

piratepilates posted:

I thought it was weird at the beginning, but now I like it. It takes place in the future, and look at the trend of traditionally male-only names being given to women. Beverly, Ashley, Whitney, Meredith, Lindsay? Why not Michael next?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Arglebargle III posted:

Didn't Bryan Singer turn out to be a big criminal?

We're talking about Bryan Fuller, not Bryan Singer.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Ah didn't realize there were two X-Men badguys.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Arglebargle III posted:

Ah didn't realize there were two X-Men badguys.

Singer is the badgay. Fuller is a goodgay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I wanna know what's up with Cetacean Ops

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

They just keep it around so Ambassador Spock can take a dip if he passes through

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

davidspackage posted:

It threw me off when I stared watching Disco because I figured Sarek got her as a baby and simply didn't know about human names, except I later realized Amanda would've.

MorgaineDax posted:

I thought it was weird at the beginning, but now I like it. It takes place in the future, and look at the trend of traditionally male-only names being given to women. Beverly, Ashley, Whitney, Meredith, Lindsay? Why not Michael next?

yeahhhh, I didn't watch any of the setup of disco so I just didn't know if there was some real explanation for it, or if it was just a random choice they threw in to do something different.

it's like the manskirt in TNG where hey yeah it's the future so why not, they don't have space-prejudices -- only it's more prominent since it's the main character's name and you are constantly exposed to it and slightly confused

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

its a whale of a good time

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
I'm pretty sure Cetacean Ops is where the dolphin crewmembers live.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The actual selection of name gets me because of a King of the Hill episode with a Hip Mom that named her daughter Michael (and that turned out wasn't even her real name either).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Michael Michele has been a fairly prolific actress since the '90s, I don't understand why people get so hung up on Burnham's first name.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

After The War posted:

I find this hilarious because that's excactly what Star Trek had always done with Captain's Logs after each commercial break.

Come on man, there's a difference between a ten-second narrative device and a five-minute scene.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong here. I just assume that it wouldn't have played well.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

piratepilates posted:

it's like the manskirt in TNG where hey yeah it's the future so why not, they don't have space-prejudices -- only it's more prominent since it's the main character's name and you are constantly exposed to it and slightly confused

Worf complains about the dress uniforms looking like dresses at one point, which felt out of place.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BioEnchanted posted:

Worf complains about the dress uniforms looking like dresses at one point, which felt out of place.

From Worf though?

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

BioEnchanted posted:

And is immediately repudiated by Riker!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Worf is 100% the kind of guy who complains about having to wear a skirt

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

I went back and recorded some stills of a few shots that really bugged me in that disco episode (the The Cage one). I think overall one of the things I find the most objectionable about the series (disco) is the photography.

The best way I can describe it is that everything looks like someone tried to direct the hell out of it. Techniques like high-contrast lighting, big shifts in focal length, camera movement, and lens-flare/bloom, aren't used sparingly to highlight specific scenes -- instead they're added to every scene that doesn't have action. I imagine is some attempt to prevent the viewer from getting bored of....a scene where characters they're supposed to enjoy watching are exchanging dialogue about some element of the story that they're supposed to enjoy experiencing.

Lots of spinning shots.

https://i.imgur.com/fqJ7CPi.gifv

Can't just have a shot of two people standing and talking in a turbolift, gotta jazz it up by making the camera slowly spin

https://i.imgur.com/b3Coi6I.gifv

This scene is at least supposed to have some serious tension to it and it sets up an action sequence so the movement of the camera has a purpose. I'm just not on-board with the camera constantly moving.

https://i.imgur.com/V6ZWM98.gifv

Canted angles are a big big thing in the show. Shots of people standing a few feet away from them and discussing things needs to be jazzed up by tilting the camera

The other stylistic choice that really gets to me is how many scenes end up bathed in harsh light, and again this is usually scenes of people discussing something boring in a completely pedestrian manner. It looks like the crew should be walking around wearing sunglasses all the time, at least have some blinds drawn when you have the ship parked right next to a glaring sun.

JJ Abrams used to use a lot of lens flares (and especially that drawn out horizontal lens flare coming from anamorphic lenses), so those were thrown in. Let's plaster the screen with it so you can't see the actors' faces.

Some (not all, probably not even the majority) of these set up shots for scenes of people discussing things in a pedestrian manner start off with these weird ultrawide shots with the camera on the floor, making the rooms look like hangars instead of a space-submarine

(actually I kind of like the set of that crews quarter (aside from literally half of it just being open space with no furniture), looks like a modern condo with some nice even lighting, kinda cozy)

For some reason the planet has a weird colour filter lazily slapped on it to make the planet seem more alien? In the "Previously On" footage at the start of the episode you could see the (same) planet didn't have a blue tint, it was just a neutral balance like Earth.

Also there's a modern action movie, frenetic, throw in a cut every half a second, these two crew are fighting like they're dancing, fight scene. I hate it. Why is everyone just standing there in a circle watching it happen? Why is everyone let these two officers just have a fist fight by themselves in the mess hall? Who is the ranking officer? Why does it not seem like they're trained naval officers on an important mission? They should both be put in the brig and have a stern talking to, maybe it would even go on their record, or they'd have an actual punishment doled out. The next scene is just Anthony Rapp having a calm sit-down with the short hair guy in the deserted mess hall as if this wasn't a serious offence.
https://i.imgur.com/mu918Y3.gifv

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jul 28, 2019

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I've only seen the first ep of DISCO so far, but ugh, yeah. The ultrawide lenses on the medium closeups there (so the sides of people's heads distort and stretch towards the corners of the screen) make it look like it was shot on someone's iPhone.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 28, 2019

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

piratepilates posted:

Also there's a modern action movie, frenetic, throw in a cut every half a second, these two crew are fighting like they're dancing, fight scene. I hate it. Why is everyone just standing there in a circle watching it happen? Why is everyone let these two officers just have a fist fight by themselves in the mess hall? Who is the ranking officer? Why does it not seem like they're trained naval officers on an important mission? They should both be put in the brig and have a stern talking to, maybe it would even go on their record, or they'd have an actual punishment doled out. The next scene is just Anthony Rapp having a calm sit-down with the short hair guy in the deserted mess hall as if this wasn't a serious offence.
https://i.imgur.com/mu918Y3.gifv

So I don't have much issue with most of what you said, though whilst all the points you made are definitely accurate points to talk about the cinematography, I just don't have much issue with them personally.

Calling out this one though, modern fight scenes are cut like this because it's a hell of a lot quicker and cheaper to make fairly realistic looking fights with weight behind them, without having the actors go through months and months of expensive fight training and re-shots on re-shots on re-shots, and with regards to the "Where is their superior officer", Saru is present and literally in the scene says to people to let it continue instead of breaking it up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

piratepilates posted:

I went back and recorded some stills of a few shots that really bugged me in that disco episode (the The Cage one). I think overall one of the things I find the most objectionable about the series (disco) is the photography.

This isn't even remotely the most egregious episode. There was one with the camera doing a 360 around a conference table so fast it actually was starting to make me motion sick, which isn't something I'm at all inclined to.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

This isn't even remotely the most egregious episode. There was one with the camera doing a 360 around a conference table so fast it actually was starting to make me motion sick, which isn't something I'm at all inclined to.

Dynamic! Exciting! Absolutely bonkers!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I agree that it sucks but I blame more of that on the sort of poo poo y'all threw money at (marvel movies). like I think every other shot of Thor in the original was a dootch anglae

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

piratepilates posted:

For some reason the planet has a weird colour filter lazily slapped on it to make the planet seem more alien? In the "Previously On" footage at the start of the episode you could see the (same) planet didn't have a blue tint, it was just a neutral balance like Earth.

Got to disagree with you on this one. It might just be due to the crappy pre-restoration VHS version I saw as a kid, but I always saw Talos IV as having a turquoisey, two-strip technicolor look to it. I think I even praised the episode in the Disco thread for getting the planet's color scheme right (even if the effect is kind of cranked up to 11).