Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ambaire posted:

The important thing is to isolate your mealwood farm.

bristles work down to 5 degrees, compared to mealwood's 10, too :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That fourth dupe makes a whale of a lot of difference, especially if your first three didn't have some proficiency in four out of five of [research, build, dig, farm, supply]. Having somebody dedicated on farm or supply makes a big, big difference.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
You've probably gotten the message by now, but I think you'll be fine with dupe numbers if you:

1. Don't go over five dupes until you have oxygen and food handled for the medium-term future
2. Don't go over eight dupes until you're sure you'll be okay on water for awhile too

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Don’t be afraid to use the sandbox option for emergencies.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
Alternatively, losing a dupe isn't a huge deal, especially early on. Sometimes they just die by suffocating, burning themselves to death while relaxing next to a volcano, teleporting into the sky, building themselves into a fatal corner while you are getting a drink, or various other ways of dupicide.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Tons of bug fixes this week, most notably one behind the notorious "philosopher's stone" exploit:

quote:

Fix bug where gasses could merge and convert types if two gasses tried moving into a vacuum cell on the same tick.

To quote a forum poster:

:black101: :black101: :black101:

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

enraged_camel posted:

Tons of bug fixes this week, most notably one behind the notorious "philosopher's stone" exploit:

To quote a forum poster:

:black101: :black101: :black101:

Oh hey, that's me.

Although it seems that 'fixing' that exploit resulted in several new bugs popping up. People are reporting abnormal gas concentrations, and it seems offgassing polluted water (from bottles or rotten food) / bleach stone / etc can delete other gases...

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 25, 2019

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Do you want your dupes dealing with homunculi?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Truga posted:

bristles work down to 5 degrees, compared to mealwood's 10, too :v:

And Rime worlds have ice everywhere so your issue isn't so much "lack of water" as "too much of it" So, yeah, go for Bristles.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Alkydere posted:

And Rime worlds have ice everywhere so your issue isn't so much "lack of water" as "too much of it" So, yeah, go for Bristles.

Of course, you need to figure a way to melt the ice first.. could mine it and put it in a warmer area but with the 50% mining mechanic, that'd be a horrible waste.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I put distillers in my arbor tree farm and now all my arbor trees are on fire.

In hindsight I really should have seen this coming.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

nrook posted:

In hindsight I really should have seen this coming.
Could be the game subtitle.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

:thunk:

Edit:

This seems like a problem.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 25, 2019

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I got a Rime world with a "Frozen Core" modifier and just had to try it out. Replaces the lava biome at the bottom with almost solid frozen ice, snow and carbon dioxide. Not gonna play it but found it pretty funny.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I'm honestly finding Rime easier than the default homeworld to play. (Yes, I play in No Sweat mode, bite me, she explained.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah after the initial bump it's fairly easy. base getting a tad warm? bring in a couple hundred tons of ice and throw it into your water pool lol

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm honestly finding Rime easier than the default homeworld to play. (Yes, I play in No Sweat mode, bite me, she explained.)

I think they need to add some more serious repercussions to having dupes work in -30 degrees. Perhaps frostbite or something, that requires quick treatment.

Adding a minimum operating temperature to machinery would also add to the difficulty.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
I thought of something for the newbies, that surprised me and was different than any other game.

You get back 100% of the building materials when you deconstruct. Deconstruct things frequently and rekajigger things to your heart's content.

Digging the raw materials from the environment will halve the mass by 50%, but that generally doesn't matter. Assuming the material hasn't overheated and been repaired, you will get back everything you used when building a building / tile / pipe / whatever. This does not apply to "consumables" (you won't get back all the dirt you've ever poured into a mealwood planter, but you will get the dirt back used to build the planter).

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

insta posted:

I thought of something for the newbies, that surprised me and was different than any other game.

You get back 100% of the building materials when you deconstruct. Deconstruct things frequently and rekajigger things to your heart's content.

Digging the raw materials from the environment will halve the mass by 50%, but that generally doesn't matter. Assuming the material hasn't overheated and been repaired, you will get back everything you used when building a building / tile / pipe / whatever. This does not apply to "consumables" (you won't get back all the dirt you've ever poured into a mealwood planter, but you will get the dirt back used to build the planter).

OTOH, a lot of things require a significant amount of duplicant time to construct, so 'Deconstruct things frequently and rekajigger things' would be a spectacular waste of time. Most notably early game are farm tiles, airflow tiles, and coal generators.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Ambaire posted:

OTOH, a lot of things require a significant amount of duplicant time to construct, so 'Deconstruct things frequently and rekajigger things' would be a spectacular waste of time. Most notably early game are farm tiles, airflow tiles, and coal generators.

IMO time to construct stuff is only an issue if the building is in a location with a non-breathable atmosphere, since that drastically increases construction time.

It can also matter if the building is "critical" infrastructure. For example, I try to place my batteries in the correct location the first time, because deconstructing them can cause a power outage for the entire circuit (at least during the early game, when you are unlikely to have multiple batteries on the same circuit).

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ambaire posted:

Your builders are slow because you don't give them any practice :eng101:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah, a dupe with some points in the buildy skill puts poo poo up and tears poo poo down crazy fast.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
If you have the dupes for it dedicating one as only athletics interest, delivery priority and high level supply job for weight capacity then another with build interest and specializing in building can build stuff crazy fast.

Long term I like to make my delivery dupe a night shifter with job priorities such that they spend most of their active time hauling to the build jobs that nobody is interfering with at warp speed and then in the morning the builder has a backlog of delivered stuff to just blow through and build one after another at hilarious speed.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Something that I just learned: you can press Alt+S during dupe selection screen (after the landscape is generated) to get a glimpse of the area immediately surrounding the printing pod.

Someone said that if you have debug mode enabled you can also view the entire map, but I haven't tested that.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Think it's Alt+S to enter screenshot mode then mouse wheel out for zoom to see everything. Not sure it's limited by sandbox mode, thought it was anytime.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Whichever patch added 'backflow' to liquid and gas pipes is really messing with me when trying to design some things. Seems really handy, but setting up directional flow with bridges ends up causing fluids to backtrack in surprising ways.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

User0015 posted:

Whichever patch added 'backflow' to liquid and gas pipes is really messing with me when trying to design some things. Seems really handy, but setting up directional flow with bridges ends up causing fluids to backtrack in surprising ways.

I assume things can't go backwards through bridges? I sure hope not anyway!

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

They can't, but when bridging lines now, what used to work in one direction no longer works properly. I'd have to sandbox mode an example, but you used to be able to force a line in one direction, then branch off it using bridges, but also valves and shutoffs. Right now, my power plant is pulling in excess PW down to a steam turbine room, cooling it, then piping it back through the power plant as a continuous cooling loop. But because input heat = output heat now for most things, I started siphoning off excess PW into a water filter, then dumping that water into my cold water tank. This works really well too, because PW created from machines is completely germ free, so I don't need to sanitize the water in any way.

When I built that system, I had a bridge feeding the line AFTER I had siphoned water off, so that it maintained 10kg flow throughout the pipes, but also is re-adding water back into the circuit so that it can loop around, collect heat, then have it deleted. After the change, when that bridge re-added water to the main line, backflow logic saw my shutoff valve open down the line in the other direction, and would flow down to it instead, completely stopping up the flow of PW that originally was only flowing in a single direction.

The workaround is to bridge the line after the shutoff valve, but it jacked up my lines for a while before I noticed when it have previously worked perfectly.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Are pips edible?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Waiter there's an asteroid in my water.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Waiter there's an asteroid in my water.

Build a swimming pool and hope they get a mood modifier from it ;)

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
There should be a swimsuit/snazzy swimsuit that turns the wet penalty into a bonus.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Why the heck isn't my auto sweeper feeding sand into my water sieve? It will pick up polluted dirt and put it in the compost, but won't fill the water sieve from that compactor to the left. Priorities are 2 on the loader, 3 on the compacter, 4 on the sieve.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Can that sweeper reach the bottom tiles of the sieve? EDIT: Wait yeah, its 4 not 5 away. Not sure.

Is there anywhere else sand is stored that might be a higher priority? It could be getting tidy jobs immediately so the sweeper never has a chance.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 30, 2019

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh geez I used arbor tree ethanol power, and now my entire base is carbon dioxide

I’m having to set up like 5-6 carbon skimmers around the base to get rid of it, I’ve never had this problem before.

Oh well. I guess my next idea will be just to dig a big hole, that should work eventually.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

nrook posted:

Oh geez I used arbor tree ethanol power, and now my entire base is carbon dioxide

I’m having to set up like 5-6 carbon skimmers around the base to get rid of it, I’ve never had this problem before.

Oh well. I guess my next idea will be just to dig a big hole, that should work eventually.

If you tame slicksters they murder CO2

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hmm, that’s not a bad idea, better than giving 1000 power to carbon skimmers. I’d need to figure the heat out, but that shouldn’t be too hard. I’ll go dig down to the oil biome.

How exciting, I’ll be the first person to use the heat clothes ever, so my rancher doesn’t burn to death.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can also just pump the CO2 into a water-over-vent room, it'll store an infinite amount in there till you figure out what you want to do with it. Put 2 pumps in there wired on automation, so you can get it back out at a reasonable rate.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Mazz posted:

Can that sweeper reach the bottom tiles of the sieve? EDIT: Wait yeah, its 4 not 5 away. Not sure.

Is there anywhere else sand is stored that might be a higher priority? It could be getting tidy jobs immediately so the sweeper never has a chance.

Looks like that was the problem. Dupes were handling the job even when they were across the map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

User0015 posted:

Looks like that was the problem. Dupes were handling the job even when they were across the map.

Yeah I've said something like this before but the errand code is surprisingly accurate/robust, even in times where its actively detrimental to be that way. Gotta trace every step in the system before you can move on to game bugs, because like 99.9% of the time its something dumb like this where its technically working exactly as it should be which is awkward in practice (or you didn't realize your priorities/pathing/etc got messed up 50 cycles ago).

EDIT: Or was, I haven't played enough of the last few patches to be sure of that anymore

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 30, 2019