Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
None of you have acknowledged I made a subtitle joke I am disappointed in all of you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
hassan of the galaxy brain...

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Blegh

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
To be fair, FGO is great in giving a retcon explanation as to why none of this makes sense - because the original system wasn't designed for Wizard Battle Royale and thus everything that we see in the summoning system is an ad-hoc mess held together with spit and duct tape, even before Chaldeas lets us bend the rules by summoning servants that shouldn't exist and the Counter Force being pushed to its limits by the destabilization of the Human Order.

CCC (the game, not the event) is a perfect example of this, although unintentionally so because it was made before the FGO explanation came into place: Gilgamesh, because of his prodigious strength, doesn't even bother fitting into a class container and just hangs out fully untyped on the Far Side of the Moon.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Do you have Irisviel or Medea Lily? You can try and do a more stally thing with Mash, one of those and an AOE

Edit: Quote is not edit.

YggdrasilTM posted:

Use Mash+Merlin or Waver+damage dealer.
Or go full art stall and use Waver, Tamamo and an art damage dealer.

dogsicle posted:

Mash/Friend Merlin/DPS with two arts cards, preferably BBAAQ

don't think the mystic code matters too much but i'd probably use the basic one or atlas

sandorius posted:

Mash+Friend Merlin is the way to go (assuming you've maxed out Mash). Aim for 100% uptime on Mash's NP and the boars should only be hitting your party members for 1000-ish damage. If you can stack or overcharge it, even better. I used Jalter as the DPS, but found myself regretting it a little, because I was passing up her Buster NP on favor of Arts chains. An AOE arts servant would probably have cut my run time in half.
It's telling how often the Mash+Merlin recommendation came up because wow, this felt so busted. Now to be fair I did have Mash in my team originally but in the backline, so she'd inevitably come in after both Casters got smoked.
This time I didn't lose a single character or drop below 7000HP at worst. Just Mash, friend Merlin, and my grailed NP4 Emiya. Took 60 turns.

Anyway, thanks an absolute ton to all of you!

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RanKizama posted:

FTFY

She explicitly lays out in detail during her interlude that she doesn't ride the chariot. She rides whoever's in said chariot.

:colbert:

and women, as of saber medb

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Crasical posted:

Aside from that, the conceptual space around the classes is getting muddier as time goes on. Archer has grown to encompass many projectile weapons, Caster grew to encompass artists and scientists, Rider is now doing actual mounted warriors as well as kings and leaders, assassin has grown from 'Just the Hassan' to spies, thieves, murderers and torturers, and berserker went from 'just screaming warriors' to anyone with an overridingly strong fixation or obsession, or just those who fight wildly.
Can you name a rider who is a king/leader who does not also have a mount? Nothing comes to my mind.

Also the FSN rider wasn’t a leader at all and was connected to a mythical mount that she rode, the FSN archer used swords, threw swords, and when he did use a bow he used it to fire swords. The classes have gotten broader even if you don’t include special event servants but it’s not like they started out particularly rigid.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

here's the secret: the class containers are just dnd because nasu likes dnd

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Not even the new classes introduced in FGO proper are particularly rigid either.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

A friendly reminder that the next few hours marks the optimal time to roll for Tamamo Shark, as the catalyst of Shark Week has arrived.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Oh Snapple! posted:

A friendly reminder that the next few hours marks the optimal time to roll for Tamamo Shark, as the catalyst of Shark Week has arrived.

I already rolled tamamo algae

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
i mediate on thoughts of np5 summer FRAN in 30 SQ, it is my happy place, and will certainly happen,

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

oh great marie, bring me good gachas, for you are the most powerful marie, please bless,,,,

BIG HAIR BIG LIFE BIG HAT BIG STATS

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

your wish granted: more casmaries from the summer 2 gacha

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Aurora posted:

your wish granted: more casmaries from the summer 2 gacha

no monkeys paw finger curls because this is blessed actually

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Rerolled a few times and stuck with an account with Heracles and Robin Hood in the tutorial. Any upcoming banners I should watch for?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cirus posted:

Rerolled a few times and stuck with an account with Heracles and Robin Hood in the tutorial. Any upcoming banners I should watch for?

The upcoming Summer banners are really good.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

cirus posted:

Save everything up for the upcoming merlin reappearance because that's his last time ever coming back and he's worth it.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Merlin is still 2 months away right?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Crasical posted:

Servant classes are weird.

The thing that weirds me out about classes is that the servants apparently aren't actually the same people as they were in "reality" (or myth-reality or whatever), and are into these weird mirrors encapsulating a part of who they were through the lens of a Saber, Archer, etc.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Aurora posted:

and women, as of saber medb
Because she is a true and just queen that doesn't discriminate. :3:

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It allows more flexibility when creating a Servant for the game most likely and Fate stuff and by extension, most Type-Moon properties are very big on exploring different aspects of a character. And now, they can cash in on it by taking one aspect and making a completely new person to summon

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The thing that weirds me out about classes is that the servants apparently aren't actually the same people as they were in "reality" (or myth-reality or whatever), and are into these weird mirrors encapsulating a part of who they were through the lens of a Saber, Archer, etc.

that's only true of saber charles and ruler karl afaik

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

like lantoria and artoria are still the same person, lantoria is more of a what-if based on choice of weapon

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Ugh, summer done on time

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Does Lancer Artoria being more tolerant of Mordred mean in spite of her more tenuous grasp on humanity that stems from her half-Divine nature mean that Saber feels some sort of highly personal disdain towards her son, in spite of her claims of high minded "You just wouldn't be a good king"?

Or am I trying to squeeze character assassination out of disparate tenuously connected bits of writing because Mordred rules and Saber drools???

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

saber rules and has complicated feelings over the child that her evil sister created out of her cum

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Uh, which Lancer Artoria are we talking about here? Only JTTW (which is a gag event) and Camelot come to mind.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

Does Lancer Artoria being more tolerant of Mordred mean in spite of her more tenuous grasp on humanity that stems from her half-Divine nature mean that Saber feels some sort of highly personal disdain towards her son, in spite of her claims of high minded "You just wouldn't be a good king"?

Or am I trying to squeeze character assassination out of disparate tenuously connected bits of writing because Mordred rules and Saber drools???

Lancer Artoria's "gift" to Mordred in Camelot will literally kill her lol

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

who would win, the greatest criminal mastermind who ever lived, whose defeat nearly cost sherlock holmes his life

OR

1 cute hamonculli repeating two letters

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Aurora posted:

Also vlad, whose Apo/Berserker version is "Vlad III the ruling king" and Extra/Lancer version is "Vlad III kicks rear end for the lord"

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

:shepicide:

Well that sure took a while. On the upside I didn't lose anyone even if it came close a few times. On the downside it makes me really miss the fact I don't have my own Tamamo, I don't have NP2+ squirtoria, and that I went in with the combat suit like a chump instead of one of the arts focused ones. Whoops! All well, mission accomplished.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Twenty minutes until maint.

And then, after three hours, :rock: NOBUNAGA THE ROCK AND ROLL :rock:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

nobu but more nobuu is the single best thing to tell someone to get them to roll for nobuuu

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

BlazeEmblem posted:

Twenty minutes until maint.

And then, after three hours, :rock: NOBUNAGA THE ROCK AND ROLL :rock:

Hopefully Albert will accidentally spill coffee on the servers and blame it on the MagiReco team. Then we can have extended maintenance and complete the Umu Trinity, as Nasu intended

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

serefin99 posted:

Good writeup as usual, but something you said here made me quirk an eyebrow: does enemy class actually effect how much NP you get when attacking them, or were you just using a roundabout way of referring to overkill?

It does, actually! Technically it's the enemy type but they follow certain patterns such as class and traits. Caster-class enemies often give more NP, for example, while ghosts (often but not always assassins) give less.

It's hard to predict because you can't actually know the values without doing math or sniffing packets and ever since FGO started securing its connection the latter isn't really possible. (I guess you could if you rooted the phone but then you get a whole new set of problems)
There's no math or client data involved here, it's all set server-side and if they wanted to they could just tune an individual fight. (In practice they use unremovable buffs/debuffs, probably for better player visibility)

Aurora posted:

Vlad Extra/Apo.
Liz/Carmilla.

The circumstances differ but there's certainly a lot of "hey this character but reinterpreted".
Sometimes it's just "hey this character but different life stage", like Liz or the kid svts or Seibas or Li or whatnot.
Sometimes it's "hey this character but different attached legend", like Charles or Vlad or Liz (again) or Cu (Caster being influenced by druidic tradition).
Sometimes it's post-historic stuff, like Seiba's Alter or Okita Alter.
Sometimes it's due to an NP, like Atalanta Alter.
Sometimes it's literally alternate universe versions, like Proto Arthur.
And sometimes it's summer.
Point is there's a lot of excuses for alts.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 29, 2019

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Quick question, does Moriarty have anymore appearances in upcoming storylines? I figure Sherlock will, and I like the hell out of this game's itteration of the both of them.

Spoiler-free answer if you could. I'm trying to go into this as blind as possible

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
Moriarty is a pretty common presence in event stories.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
:krad:

Whoever decided to put those two in this game's plot is a bloody hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Roger Explosion posted:

Quick question, does Moriarty have anymore appearances in upcoming storylines? I figure Sherlock will, and I like the hell out of this game's itteration of the both of them.

Spoiler-free answer if you could. I'm trying to go into this as blind as possible

Man I have good news for you in about two hours.