Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Hold on, I just saw someone else do the Dorathea/Ingrid paralogue and they got a relic weapon instead of a ring. Is that weapon route exclusive or something?
If you have Ingrid, you get the weapon. If you have Dorothea, you get the ring. I guess you get both if you have both. The weapon's for Ingrid. I'm on Deer and I got the lance because I have Ingrid, so it isn't a route thing, just a character thing.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I feel like the game, at least the first half, would be more difficult if the enemies didn't have gambits with an absolute boner on using them. Sure, attack me with your coinflip chance to hit. Oh look, you missed. Again. That sucks.

DanZX posted:

Hey guys is it ok to only train characters from a single house and still do fine after the split?
I’ve been thinking of doing Black Eagles and maybe just train those guys and any neutral character like anime Edna Krabapple.

Also is there somewhere I can check for best classes for my characters? I have choice paralysis regarding character promotions.

Stop worrying about it.

Character growths are fairly average with a few outstanding expectations. Like, Lysithea's gimmick of being a glass cannon magic nuke is the only one, really. Everyone's preferred growths paints a pretty good picture, just go from there. If it's blue it'll train up faster, if it isn't you'll have to put a little more work in it but still nothing to bad.

The game gives you deployment slots basically for your house+1-3, so you'll be fine.

rannum posted:

Question to those who have gone into the time skip: how are A ranks with non-byleths handled

do you only get one per pair or does it vary based on the supports

I'm not close to that point I just wanna know how much save scumming I'll theoretically be doing to fill in the support log

80% sure there's a post game "A+" rank that's secretly their S rank, like the MC.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Tae posted:

Hold on, I just saw someone else do the Dorathea/Ingrid paralogue and they got a relic weapon instead of a ring. Is that weapon route exclusive or something?

Blue Lions 4 lyfe

DanZX
May 5, 2015

Endorph posted:

The characters will generally tell you what they want to be, so just follow what feels like a natural progression for them based on their arleady stated strengths.

And yeah, you can easily not poach anybody and just use your house's characters and neutrals. Deployment limits dont' seem high enough for that to ever leave you shorthanded.

Also, speaking of, minor mechanical timeskip spoilers: you need decently high support with the people you poached if you want to keep them post-timeskip, otherwise you have to recruit them back when you fight them.

Gamerofthegame posted:

I feel like the game, at least the first half, would be more difficult if the enemies didn't have gambits with an absolute boner on using them. Sure, attack me with your coinflip chance to hit. Oh look, you missed. Again. That sucks.

Stop worrying about it.

Character growths are fairly average with a few outstanding expectations. Like, Lysithea's gimmick of being a glass cannon magic nuke is the only one, really. Everyone's preferred growths paints a pretty good picture, just go from there. If it's blue it'll train up faster, if it isn't you'll have to put a little more work in it but still nothing to bad.

The game gives you deployment slots basically for your house+1-3, so you'll be fine.

80% sure there's a post game "A+" rank that's secretly their S rank, like the MC.

Ok, thanks guys.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

guys the blue lions are going to solve discrimination forever

edit: except felix

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't really understand the progression from the level 10 classes to master class. Like going peg knight strands you with nothing in advanced until master class. What do you do with a dedicated peg until 30?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there any downside to giving a character a shield?

Chocolate Bunny
Jan 13, 2019
Guess you could swap them to another class to learn skills for a while? But it kind of sucks, yeah.

Downside to shields is they have weight but it's not really that much of a downside.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Is it possible to beat the Death Knight on your first encounter with him? I could theoretically deal enough damage to kill him if a few people got turns but no one can survive the counterattacks

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

JBP posted:

For some reason you can't equip rings if they have shields on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is it possible to beat the Death Knight on your first encounter with him? I could theoretically deal enough damage to kill him if a few people got turns but no one can survive the counterattacks
it is but you need a pretty precise strategy. like abusing damage modifier personal skills, rallies, and gambits.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

You can do it with luck & Crits, it's not impossible and there's a goon or two ITT that have done it and catalogued how

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yes. But be aware once you attack him, he'll move on his turn. I ended up spamming gambits for chip damage and then attacking with Byleth and then Edelgard with a combat art. I didn't realize it was considered so hard! I definitely had to hope for a lucky crit since only Byleth and Edie could take hits from him, but it's by no means necessary -- he shows up in two more missions with no improvement to his stats, and Dark Mages aren't exactly overpowered from what I've seen.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jul 29, 2019

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

JBP posted:

It increases your weight, which factors into your final attack speed stat for doing doubles etc. Not a big deal tho.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There are some silly strats to do it; he's a mounted, armored unit. Particularly hard hitting anti-armor stuff can potentially off him. Lysithea in particular can do it with ease if she has her anti-armor spell, but that does take pumping reason unreasonably.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

Huh, go figure

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Holy poo poo, equipment repairs from spirits of the fallen (the yellow and purple things on the map) will repair whatever weapon you have equipped at the moment, including holy weapons. You can abuse the gently caress out of this with divine pulse.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So is it generally "expected" to do exploration during no more than 1 or 2 free days each month? Also, I'm a bit uncertain how to deal with these paired activities. Blue Lions (who I'm doing first) only have one person who is good at Flying and I think only one good at Riding. So far the two times I'd done activities they've gotten Perfect, but I may have just gotten lucky since they only had 2* each time.

One other thing I've noticed is that it shows you which person enemies are going to attack. Was this in previous games? I don't remember it being in Fates/Awakening, and it's extremely useful. In those games my "strategy" always consisted of inching one dude into the enemy's attack range and surrounding him with other people, but now I can move multiple people into enemy range and at least ensure they don't all attack the same person (which was a roll of the dice in the previous games).

Also, I'm very happy they removed the "pairing up units" stuff from those games. I did not like that mechanic.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Gamerofthegame posted:

It increases your weight, which factors into your final attack speed stat for doing doubles etc. Not a big deal tho.

There are some silly strats to do it; he's a mounted, armored unit. Particularly hard hitting anti-armor stuff can potentially off him. Lysithea in particular can do it with ease if she has her anti-armor spell, but that does take pumping reason unreasonably.

Is there a Batallion that can prevent counterattacks for a round? I'm not sure if the fight is different on hard mode but he can counterattack from any distance so anyone who attacks him from any range is instadead

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Gambits prevent counterattacks on your turn.

Ytlaya posted:

So is it generally "expected" to do exploration during no more than 1 or 2 free days each month? Also, I'm a bit uncertain how to deal with these paired activities. Blue Lions (who I'm doing first) only have one person who is good at Flying and I think only one good at Riding. So far the two times I'd done activities they've gotten Perfect, but I may have just gotten lucky since they only had 2* each time.

One other thing I've noticed is that it shows you which person enemies are going to attack. Was this in previous games? I don't remember it being in Fates/Awakening, and it's extremely useful. In those games my "strategy" always consisted of inching one dude into the enemy's attack range and surrounding him with other people, but now I can move multiple people into enemy range and at least ensure they don't all attack the same person (which was a roll of the dice in the previous games).

Also, I'm very happy they removed the "pairing up units" stuff from those games. I did not like that mechanic.

1) Yeah, seems it! I've been doing it once at the beginning of the month, once at the end, and the rest usually for training.

2) No, but it's quite useful!

3) :same: They were either overpowered or necessary to use. The adjutant system is much better.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

big december mission spoilers (for black eagles but i assume it's universal):

man the cutscenes have been fine up to this point but something about the execution of Jeralt's death scene made it almost comical? like, everything felt a bit too stiff to take seriously. on the other hand, jeralt's last words were still enough to make me legit kinda emotional, so i guess it still landed. :smith:

im real annoyed that after getting about 100 death flags, Jeralt says "hey kid we need to talk about something next time we have a chance" but then sits on his rear end for the entire month? You were right there in the Monastery the whole time, Jeralt!! I saw you!! I trained from you!!!!! The least they could've done was sent him away on a mission or something to justify the talk never happening :argh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
god the enemy buffs during the all-house battle royale are bullshit to deal with

i wasn't expecting claude to bite it my first go around

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lysenthia one shot the death knight she's a monster

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I seem to have accidentally, massively over leveled. I'm on chapter 7 and all my characters are hitting 20. The side battles, which are normally higher leveled then the main story ones, are only 13. I am currently doing the Shamir side mission and just bum rushing the boats and the pirates can't do anything other then take it. Outside of at the start where a bunch of my characters were still level 2-3 and I did a few side battles to get them up to snuff, I haven't gone out of my way to do any extra battles that weren't related to a quest.

Is there a "stop giving me xp for a while" option?

E: Like I'm currently just throwing the guest NPC in the way and let them kill things to keep xp off my dudes

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 29, 2019

Dave Matthews Big Fan!
Nov 10, 2009
If anyone was worried about not having enough time to poach all the students you want, it's actually really easy to do if you just focus on giving gifts and stuff. I got all the girls from the other houses (except hilda) by chapter 7 and it's really funny going into the FFA while having half of their units. If you get a B support I'm pretty sure the stats you have don't matter, my Byleth is dumb as bricks (I think her mag was at like... 9) and I didn't have any problems getting the mag-focused girls.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Is there a Batallion that can prevent counterattacks for a round? I'm not sure if the fight is different on hard mode but he can counterattack from any distance so anyone who attacks him from any range is instadead

That’s a very common Battalion skill, I think it’s called Disturbance? It doesn’t matter anyway because the Death Knight is immune to gambit effects, at least on hard

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Scrap Dragon posted:

That’s a very common Battalion skill, I think it’s called Disturbance? It doesn’t matter anyway because the Death Knight is immune to gambit effects, at least on hard

Disturbance just stops them from moving. They can still swing at you.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
What I did was I just spammed him with a bunch of gambits, used Draw Back to open more space, and then finish him off with a Knightkneeler. People who can take one counterattack (Dedue) can contribute normally, too, but careful of the crit rate.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Mages having Knight movement is probably the worst thing about the game.

I only have one March ring/had one move booster and there are so many good mage accessories :rip:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fyi for the hanneman/manuela paralogue, the gimmick is that manuela starts off in her own side of the map separated by a ravine you cant cross. if you've been using flayn at all, flayn can just use the rescue spell to teleport her across and make the map super easy. be sure to kill the archer near manuela's starting point for the +exp ring, tho

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The most deployed characters list is now just the entire black eagles house :laffo:

You might have foreseen this coming, intsys. There should probably just be most popular per route listing.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
thinkin bout sending Lysithea through Mercenary for Vantage shenanigans, she already maxed out Mage at level 13

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Endorph posted:

fyi for the hanneman/manuela paralogue, the gimmick is that manuela starts off in her own side of the map separated by a ravine you cant cross. if you've been using flayn at all, flayn can just use the rescue spell to teleport her across and make the map super easy. be sure to kill the archer near manuela's starting point for the +exp ring, tho

is there a magic threshold flayn has to hit? since mine just got rescue even without deploying her yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

is there a magic threshold flayn has to hit? since mine just got rescue even without deploying her yet
range is 1 + magic divided by 4, the ravine is two spaces long, so she should be good even with her base magic stat. Manuela can nosferatu tank the couple of guys on her way to run over to the part of her side of the mountain closest to the rest of the army's side, then Flayn can rescue her across. Easy peasy.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As a Blue Lion at least, post time skip Dimitri is amazing from his design to his personality. I’m also pretty sure he could solo every map if I fed him some Res up items.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Hey does anyone know what physical classes are locked out from magic? My brother turned Lysithea into a myrmidon in his run and she can't cast spells. I was gonna pony my mages up so they could have decent movement until I can get to the mounted mage classes later but I don't want to waste the seal if they can't.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Hey does anyone know what physical classes are locked out from magic? My brother turned Lysithea into a myrmidon in his run and she can't cast spells. I was gonna pony my mages up so they could have decent movement until I can get to the mounted mage classes later but I don't want to waste the seal if they can't.

Only classes that say 'can use magic' can actually use magic. So outside of the dedicated mage classes its just Commoner/Noble, Dancer, and Byleth's personal class that can actually use it. Most classes can't use magic

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

How far into the Black Eagle path does the "big" story choice take place? Am I able to save before the choice so I can follow one path and then return to the original save and follow the other path?

Still wondering about this.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Rent-a-Bot posted:

It's pretty much all of them. Only classes that explicitly say they can use magic have access to it, which is iirc just commoner/noble, dancer, the dedicated casters, and then mortal savant and the dark and holy knights.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Still wondering about this.

2/8 is the first Saturday that matters. You have 2/8, 2/15, 2/22 and during one of those you need to talk to Edelgard and go with her when she takes you on a trip (note this will end your free time session immediately and skip a few days forward).

The actual choice then happens in month 3. If you don't go with Edelgard you're locked into one path. If you do you get the choice.

Also you need to be at C+ with Edelgard and C with Hubert before you get the chance to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:
Laaaaaaaaame. Guess I got to share that march ring.