Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who do you wish to win the Democratic primaries?
This poll is closed.
Joe Biden, the Inappropriate Toucher 18 1.46%
Bernie Sanders, the Hand Flailer 665 54.11%
Elizabeth Warren, the Plan Maker 319 25.96%
Kamala Harris, the Cop Lord 26 2.12%
Cory Booker, the Super Hero Wannabe 5 0.41%
Julian Castro, the Twin 5 0.41%
Kirsten Gillibrand, the Franken Killer 5 0.41%
Pete Buttigieg, the Troop Sociopath 17 1.38%
Robert Francis O'Rourke, the Fake Latino 3 0.24%
Jay Inslee, the Climate Alarmist 8 0.65%
Marianne Williamson, the Crystal Queen 86 7.00%
Tulsi Gabbard, the Muslim Hater 23 1.87%
Andrew Yang, the $1000 Fool 32 2.60%
Eric Swalwell, the Insurance Wife Guy 2 0.16%
Amy Klobuchar, the Comb Enthusiast 1 0.08%
Bill de Blasio, the NYPD Most Hated 4 0.33%
Tim Ryan, the Dope Face 3 0.24%
John Hickenlooper, the Also Ran 7 0.57%
Total: 1229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Cerebral Bore posted:

Fool, you think you know Numbers Fucksteinery? Behold, the final form:

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1155305122911723526

Something something if you get 17k followers or verified (whichever comes first) we may excuse your student loan debt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/allisongeroi/status/1155564492035698689?s=20

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Kamala Harries....you are finished

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Heavy neutrino posted:

Comrade Delaney of all people is going forward with a full illiberal, collectivist mandatory national service plan.

https://twitter.com/JohnDelaney/status/1155434279347916800

Whoa, that ratio.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

Cerebral Bore posted:

Fool, you think you know Numbers Fucksteinery? Behold, the final form:

https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1155305122911723526
if nothing else the graphic design is on point, here

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chilichimp posted:

I think Kamala Harris might be loving stupid, guys.

She's an empty suit backed by Clintonites so they come up with poo poo like this and she smiles and rubber stamps it while not entirely knowing what's going on so sometimes backtracks, then goes forward when it is explained to her what's going on.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1155572673881288711?s=20

guy who kisses his granddaughter on the lips: "i'm gonna beat trump on character alone"

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

After juggling with the issues for a bit, I honestly think Tulsi Gabbard is who I’m going to vote for. I don’t think she’ll win, mainly because I’m almost positive the DNC is going to hand the nomination over to Harris, results be damned, but I’m going to vote for her nonetheless.

She’s anti-war and anti-private prisons. She’s pro-choice. She’s heavily critical of radical Islam. She may or may not be anti-LGBT which, while it could be an issue, regardless of her stance I don’t think she would focus on those issues at all (for better or for worse) when in office, they just aren’t what’s important right now.

But the most important aspect is her fight against Big Tech. At first I thought that champion was Elizabeth Warren, but frankly other than a few call outs here and there I can’t say she has my confidence that she will see it through, whereas Tulsi has proven by her lawsuit against Google that she is actually willing to take them to battle, and whether or not she will win in court, that honestly speaks volumes to her character, at least in my eyes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

a.lo posted:

After juggling with the issues for a bit, I honestly think Tulsi Gabbard is who I’m going to vote for. I don’t think she’ll win, mainly because I’m almost positive the DNC is going to hand the nomination over to Harris, results be damned, but I’m going to vote for her nonetheless.

She’s anti-war and anti-private prisons. She’s pro-choice. She’s heavily critical of radical Islam. She may or may not be anti-LGBT which, while it could be an issue, regardless of her stance I don’t think she would focus on those issues at all (for better or for worse) when in office, they just aren’t what’s important right now.

But the most important aspect is her fight against Big Tech. At first I thought that champion was Elizabeth Warren, but frankly other than a few call outs here and there I can’t say she has my confidence that she will see it through, whereas Tulsi has proven by her lawsuit against Google that she is actually willing to take them to battle, and whether or not she will win in court, that honestly speaks volumes to her character, at least in my eyes.

She's also one of the few people in Congress who stands behind the Lion of Syria

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You know, it would probably be a good idea for any campaign to pick up a few Clintonites as staffers. It's always good to know when you gently caress and make a really bad proposal because Mark is all in on how great an idea it is for once.

Condiv posted:

guy who kisses his granddaughter on the lips: "i'm gonna beat trump on character alone"

One day people will realize that while having your opponent be a certifiable piece of poo poo is a real nice starting point, you do still have to do more than just repeat, "Man, what a piece of poo poo" for 6 months.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Well sure, but have you considered that if you just keep doubling down on a failed strategy you won't ever have to admit that you were wrong? And after all, isn't that what really matters?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
on the plus side this has made me aware of Gabbard's lawsuit against google and lol

i don't think this one's a winner

https://twitter.com/gabrielmalor/status/1154482727112060928

(short thread)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 28, 2019

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Biden campaign will save a lot of money by reusing a bunch of old "Love Trump's Hate" signs leftover from the Clinton campaign.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

a.lo posted:

She’s heavily critical of radical Islam. She may or may not be anti-LGBT which, while it could be an issue, regardless of her stance I don’t think she would focus on those issues at all (for better or for worse) when in office, they just aren’t what’s important right now.

you told us more about yourself here than anything else lol

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Condiv posted:

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/status/1155579830433435649?s=20

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Kamala's plan is obviously far from perfect... but at least she HAS a plan, and not just tired old rhetoric from her stump speech. It's easy to stay pure and perfect when you don't frame your endless promises in terms of realistic policy proposals.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Kamala's plan is obviously far from perfect... but at least she HAS a plan, and not just tired old rhetoric from her stump speech. It's easy to stay pure and perfect when you don't frame your endless promises in terms of realistic policy proposals.

you're right, you've convinced me, switching my vote from bernie to kamala, asking for my $10 back from bernie and giving her $500 ty

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

She's an empty suit backed by Clintonites so they come up with poo poo like this and she smiles and rubber stamps it while not entirely knowing what's going on so sometimes backtracks, then goes forward when it is explained to her what's going on.

I'll give Elizabeth "Plans" Warren 1 thing... she's forcing democrats to the right of her to put out their own plans, and whoooooo boy, what an excellent campaign strategy for a progressive.

a.lo posted:

This is a gimmick, right?

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jul 29, 2019

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can't believe that worthless gently caress Delaney hasn't dropped out yet.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Lycus posted:

I can't believe that worthless gently caress Delaney hasn't dropped out yet.

Delaney expected to propose mandatory church bill, claims will teach millennial moral values.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018
I can't believe no one has dropped out honestly. I wish they would start now one by one, because it's gonna be painful when 12 people drop out within the same 2 months.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Great news, everyone! Kamala Harris has seen the negative feedback on her "partial student loan forgiveness for black entrepreneurs in disadvantaged neighborhoods if their business survives for three years" plan, so she came back to clear up our worries.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1155592267668832261
https://mobile.twitter.com/KamalaHarris/status/1155592269006868489

The tack she chose is pretty revealing. It seems clear that she realizes her plan is getting slammed, but she doesn't seem to understand why. It's too bad she's facing a softball lineup in the upcoming debate.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Main Paineframe posted:

Great news, everyone! Kamala Harris has seen the negative feedback on her "partial student loan forgiveness for black entrepreneurs in disadvantaged neighborhoods if their business survives for three years" plan, so she came back to clear up our worries.

The tack she chose is pretty revealing. It seems clear that she realizes her plan is getting slammed, but she doesn't seem to understand why. It's too bad she's facing a softball lineup in the upcoming debate.

I could see this being the thing Biden attempts to pounce on.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There's been a reported mass shooting at Gilroy, CA at a Garlic Festival. I'd have to think this will be brought up in the debates. Wonder if Gun Control Policy will be front and center.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Main Paineframe posted:

It's too bad she's facing a softball lineup in the upcoming debate.

Yeah seriously. She's gonna get free points for poo poo she says to Biden even if it's not actually that Substantive. She needs to be put with Sanders so she tries to get a dunk on him for being mean and old, he can retort by contrasting himself with her with how her policies actually help everyday people instead of her capitalism.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

a.lo posted:

Hey, we already have Calibanibal, Redneck Nazgul, Nonsense and... everyone else. Good posting is the real trolling.

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Gatts posted:

There's been a reported mass shooting at Gilroy, CA at a Garlic Festival. I'd have to think this will be brought up in the debates. Wonder if Gun Control Policy will be front and center.

What are they even gonna say? They'll be out doing one another on who wants to confiscate the most guns and arrest the most people. Would be a good chance for Swalwell, but Harris is probably gonna "win" that because she's a cop from California and she'll let us know how much she'd love arresting people for owning guns.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Republicans will make a big deal about this being in liberal California, and it wouldn't have happened if we had less gun control.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

So I ran across a new paper out that models the impact of a $200-600 a ton carbon tax: https://www.nber.org/papers/w26086

quote:

Using data from a large proprietary database of field-level oil data, we show that carbon prices even as high as 200 dollars per ton of CO2 will only reduce cumulative emissions from oil by 4% as the supply curve is very steep for high oil prices and few reserves drop out. The supply curve flattens out for lower price, and the effect of an increased carbon tax becomes larger. For example, a carbon price of 600 dollars would reduce cumulative emissions by 60%.

So a $200 a ton carbon tax would cause a 4% reduction in emissions. For context, we need to get to 100% reduction in emissions within 20-30 years.

So when you look at candidates like Biden or Yang who are proposing far less than the $600-$1000+ carbon taxes we need, recognize that's the path to a world with a worse climate outcome than under Trump because we will waste our time and effort passing lovely laws that will then be defended for decades. Look to Biden's defense of Obamacare as the foreshadowing of how Bidencredits will be defended even as emissions continue to rise.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

a.lo posted:

If you can’t source this as a quote I’m going to give you a month.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Chilichimp posted:

I'll give Elizabeth "Plans" Warren 1 thing... she's forcing democrats to the right of her to put out their own plans, and whoooooo boy, what an excellent campaign strategy for a progressive.

The only person that Warren is running against is Bernie and she isn't the progressive there.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Awful CompSloth posted:

What are they even gonna say? They'll be out doing one another on who wants to confiscate the most guns and arrest the most people. Would be a good chance for Swalwell, but Harris is probably gonna "win" that because she's a cop from California and she'll let us know how much she'd love arresting people for owning guns.

swalwell dropped out 3 weeks ago right after the first debate

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

I like how Twitter is saying that Harris's plan "sparked confusion" instead of just people thinking it was dumb.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Lightning Knight posted:

I don't want to get too meta here, but I feel rather confident at least one human being believes those words. Do you think that a.io possibly being able to identify such a human makes the post better? It seems awkward to have a policy of "posting terrible opinions is only allowed when you can find a reddit post saying the same thing". Bad opinions should be quashed or not based on their badness not their popularity.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

She should have pitched this poo poo as capital for black entrepreneurs from the rip, not... a student loan forgiveness program.

All she's proving by trying to clarify it is she had no loving idea what was in this plan in the first place.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lycus posted:

I like how Twitter is saying that Harris's plan "sparked confusion" instead of just people thinking it was dumb.

Everybody really needs to stop coddling the candidates because Trump has already given a taste of how he will fight all of this out.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Trabisnikof posted:

So I ran across a new paper out that models the impact of a $200-600 a ton carbon tax: https://www.nber.org/papers/w26086

So a $200 a ton carbon tax would cause a 4% reduction in emissions. For context, we need to get to 100% reduction in emissions within 20-30 years.

So when you look at candidates like Biden or Yang who are proposing far less than the $600-$1000+ carbon taxes we need, recognize that's the path to a world with a worse climate outcome than under Trump because we will waste our time and effort passing lovely laws that will then be defended for decades. Look to Biden's defense of Obamacare as the foreshadowing of how Bidencredits will be defended even as emissions continue to rise.

To be fair "carbon taxes" coming from any of the neoliberal shills currently running would just be a pretty terrifying "the poor get to literally starve now" measure. If you measure it by the weight of the gasoline, which the paper doesn't, then $200/ton only results in gas going up about $0.63/gal. $1000 and it goes up by $3.15/gal. If you raise the price by $1000/ton of CO2* like the paper actually suggests then it jumps from a paltry +$3.15/gal to about $10/gal.

*A gallon of gasoline only weighs about 6.3lbs, but because the O2 is a lot loving heavier than that one carbon atom a gallon of gas becomes about 20lbs of CO2.

Lightning Knight posted:

Dunno this poster's gimmick but I suppose this is as good a time as any to point out that the "She may or may not be anti-LGBT which, while it could be an issue, regardless of her stance I don’t think she would focus on those issues at all (for better or for worse) when in office, they just aren’t what’s important right now." line is a spot on impression of some dumb poo poo Tulsi said in a 2015 interview about how she doesn't like gay people but would never legislate on her morality like an Iraqi. (she totally said iraqis for whatever reason lmao)

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 29, 2019

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
got to heckle both chris cillizza and pete buttigieg tonight

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Chilichimp posted:

She should have pitched this poo poo as capital for black entrepreneurs from the rip, not... a student loan forgiveness program.

All she's proving by trying to clarify it is she had no loving idea what was in this plan in the first place.

https://twitter.com/CurtisBonds/status/1155570651161194496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Chilichimp posted:

Why have the nonsensical debt forgiveness part at all? If you want a fund for minority businesses, just do that. Unless you're trying to piggyback on Sanders and Warren while trying to be more centrist.