Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
This one has really bothered me. I have asked countless people and a lot seem to remember but no one can figure out what it was called. Google is also no help. I'm not entirely sure I didn't just dream it. It was a horror game of some sort, pretty old I think. All I really remember is there are parts in the game where a collection of hands chase after you. Its like a bunch of creepy disembodied hands. Its unsettling but that is all I can recall, the memory is super foggy. I want to say the hands are red but I am not so sure anymore... I'm pretty sure if they caught you you were just dead or the game ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Lazyhound posted:

There was a(n early-access?) space colony simulator from like 2-3 years ago that had its own thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Oxygen Not Included, as I remember it being an overhead view, and I really dislike ONI’s art style. I think there was a combat element, like defending your base from raiders or something.
Both goon-made:

The Spatials: https://store.steampowered.com/app/346420/

The Spatials 2: Galactology: https://store.steampowered.com/app/450700/

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

There was a(n early-access?) space colony simulator from like 2-3 years ago that had its own thread, but I can’t find it now. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t Oxygen Not Included, as I remember it being an overhead view, and I really dislike ONI’s art style. I think there was a combat element, like defending your base from raiders or something.

There's also Rimworld.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Skyarb posted:

This one has really bothered me. I have asked countless people and a lot seem to remember but no one can figure out what it was called. Google is also no help. I'm not entirely sure I didn't just dream it. It was a horror game of some sort, pretty old I think. All I really remember is there are parts in the game where a collection of hands chase after you. Its like a bunch of creepy disembodied hands. Its unsettling but that is all I can recall, the memory is super foggy. I want to say the hands are red but I am not so sure anymore... I'm pretty sure if they caught you you were just dead or the game ended.

One of the Zeldas?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

ponzicar posted:

There's also Rimworld.

It was this, thanks!

e: well, I think I had like three games rolled together in my head, but this was one of them.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 26, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Retro Futurist posted:

One of the Zeldas?

I don't think so

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Cheez posted:

It's definitely not going to be anything from google image search, because I've already tried multiple ways and never came up with anything. I wish I could remember more about the appearance of the characters, but the most I can do is take a wild guess that the title screen would have had a black background. I seem to remember that the box art characters and the title screen characters used the same art as a base, but that's an extremely unhelpful clue to anyone that doesn't already have the game and box.

Try mobygames. they'll have screenshots and boxart and you can narrow it down by genre / elements and whatnot.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Skyarb posted:

Eversion?

Pneub fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 25, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Pneub posted:

Eversion?

Nope was first person.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Skyarb posted:

Nope was first person.

Was it console or PC?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Was it console or PC?

I can't remember but my gut says PC.

I always correlate the weird disembodied hands as whispering creepily as they would like swarm your face.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Sounds an awful lot like Blood to me.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Skyarb posted:

I can't remember but my gut says PC.

I always correlate the weird disembodied hands as whispering creepily as they would like swarm your face.

A huge stretch I'll admit, but maybe The Wheel of Time, specifically the levels in The Ways and the "hand swarm" being The Black Wind?

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Neither blood nor wheel of time.

Now that I am thinking about it harder, maybe its no more than 10 years old, maybe even mroe recent?

Skyarb fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 25, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
This is going in my buy list. Any reason to pick up the first one or does the second contain everything and more?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Skyarb posted:

Neither blood nor wheel of time.

Now that I am thinking about it harder, maybe its no more than 10 years old, maybe even mroe recent?

One of the bosses in Evil Within has a lot of hands, and there’s parts where she’s chasing you or attacking out of pools of blood. Maybe that’s it? It’s third person over-the-shoulder instead of first person but the time frame fits.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

SkeletonHero posted:

One of the bosses in Evil Within has a lot of hands, and there’s parts where she’s chasing you or attacking out of pools of blood. Maybe that’s it? It’s third person over-the-shoulder instead of first person but the time frame fits.

Thank you but also not it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
3D arcadey top-down/Zelda perspective shooter game from the late 90s/early 2000s. This was the era where people where just starting to do "cool" 3D stuff (pretty sure it came out after Quake 2 though), so it had a lot of glowy poo poo and particles and whatever. You controlled some kind of military dude or maybe a robot. Vaguely futuristic setting, your weapons were mainly laser/energy-based and I think you had grenades. You walked around a level shooting things, and I'm fairly sure you had multiple weapons, and could pick up grenade/ammo pickups as you went along. The only other thing I remember is that you would occasionally blow up stuff in the environment to proceed, and I think the first stage might have been an oil refinery or something like that? Something involving pipes.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

3D arcadey top-down/Zelda perspective shooter game from the late 90s/early 2000s. This was the era where people where just starting to do "cool" 3D stuff (pretty sure it came out after Quake 2 though), so it had a lot of glowy poo poo and particles and whatever. You controlled some kind of military dude or maybe a robot. Vaguely futuristic setting, your weapons were mainly laser/energy-based and I think you had grenades. You walked around a level shooting things, and I'm fairly sure you had multiple weapons, and could pick up grenade/ammo pickups as you went along. The only other thing I remember is that you would occasionally blow up stuff in the environment to proceed, and I think the first stage might have been an oil refinery or something like that? Something involving pipes.

Longshot but: https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/millennium-soldier-expendable

Came packaged with a few videocards at the time.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

The Joe Man posted:

Longshot but: https://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/millennium-soldier-expendable

Came packaged with a few videocards at the time.

Got it in one, my dude. That's exactly it, nice catch.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Trying to remember a Gauntlet type game I played in the 90s. It looked a lot like Quake, but viewed from above. Pretty sure it had support for early Voodoo cards if you ran it in Windows 95/98 instead of DOS. It might even have used the Quake engine, as I remember it looking really similar. It was fully 3d, so stages could have different levels of height. Might have been shareware as I think there were several episodes, like Quake, but I only remember playing one of them and don't recall paying for it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Mageslayer possibly, I've played it a lot as a kid and that sounds about right.

e: if I was mistaken by what you meant when you mentioned Gauntlet, then it could have also been Take no Prisoners which used the same engine

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jul 26, 2019

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Mageslayer possibly, I've played it a lot as a kid and that sounds about right.

e: if I was mistaken by what you meant when you mentioned Gauntlet, then it could have also been Take no Prisoners which used the same engine

Hmm yeah it was probably Mageslayer, thanks! The textures all look really familiar but I could've sworn that the player and enemies were polygon models rather than sprites. That's most likely me just misremembering though.

I'm a sucker for Gauntlet type games.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Skyarb posted:

Thank you but also not it.

I feel like everytime I keep thinking about this I keep realizing something else. Now for whatever reason I think this may have been a flash game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Skyarb posted:

I feel like everytime I keep thinking about this I keep realizing something else. Now for whatever reason I think this may have been a flash game.

There's this one Newgrounds horror flash where you're exploring an empty building, and at the end you listen to this tape with some creepy whispering and the phrase "OPEN YOUR MIND" and then a bunch of hands come out of the wall and kill you. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skyarb posted:

I think this happens in Deadly Premonition. That's third person, but maybe.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Hwurmp posted:

There's this one Newgrounds horror flash where you're exploring an empty building, and at the end you listen to this tape with some creepy whispering and the phrase "OPEN YOUR MIND" and then a bunch of hands come out of the wall and kill you. Unfortunately I don't remember the name.

This is loving it. THIS IS loving IT. What's it called?!

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
is it Found Lost?

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/128404

4 inch cut no femmes fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jul 27, 2019

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

Hahah yes this is it! I cannot believe we figured it out. I was almost on the verge of thinking it was just a bad dream. Christ I forgot how absolutely tiny and short this little thing was. Some of my memories were definitely a bit wrong. This is hilarious.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Hello,

There was a game I played on the school library computers in 8th grade, where it was like a investigation game. Where you had to figure out what caused certain things. Like why people got sick at a cookout, and it was because they left chicken out in the sun for like 6 hours. Or, you had to measure the distance of the tire skid to see how fast a car was going. It was point and click with static backgrounds. I believe I played it on PC (not Mac), released probably between 1996-1999. I'm almost positive it was not a "branded" game like CSI or Law & Order.

Any ideas?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Eagle Eye Mysteries?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

It could possibly be something from the Super Solvers series.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Let's see who can figure this one out, it's probably easy. I'm trying to remember a game that came out on the NES. It was a side scroller where you play as a spy, and your gun has limited ammo. I remember lots of going up and down stairs and entering different doors. I also think the cover art one the cartridge was very James Bond. I don't exactly remember what you were actually supposed to be doing, but it was one of the first games I had encountered where you had to really conserve your ammo.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
Gogol 13

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

That or Dick Tracy.

But likely Golgo 13.

Actually, DT didn't have an ammo count, so that's likely wrong.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
what about hudson hawk, that was a perplexing side-scrolling game with limited(?) ammo(?), and the cover is extremely james bond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Hawk_(video_game)

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Let's see who can figure this one out, it's probably easy. I'm trying to remember a game that came out on the NES. It was a side scroller where you play as a spy, and your gun has limited ammo. I remember lots of going up and down stairs and entering different doors. I also think the cover art one the cartridge was very James Bond. I don't exactly remember what you were actually supposed to be doing, but it was one of the first games I had encountered where you had to really conserve your ammo.

Rolling Thunder probably

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

John Murdoch posted:

Eagle Eye Mysteries?

Gnoman posted:

It could possibly be something from the Super Solvers series.

Nah, it was basically a real life picture as the setting. Not cartoony or pixelated.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pneub posted:

Rolling Thunder probably

Or Code Name Viper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That or Dick Tracy.

But likely Golgo 13.

Actually, DT didn't have an ammo count, so that's likely wrong.

I looked up screenshots, and at first thought this was it, but it looked less and less familiar.

The White Dragon posted:

what about hudson hawk, that was a perplexing side-scrolling game with limited(?) ammo(?), and the cover is extremely james bond
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hudson_Hawk_(video_game)

I should have mentioned that the graphics leaned fairly more towards the "serious" side for an NES game, and so Hudson hawk wasnt it

Pneub posted:

Rolling Thunder probably

I think this was it. I looked up videos and the main character's skinny legs stirred up some nostalgia. I think I've been remembering certain aspects incorrectly for so long that I could still be wrong. But I feel like I've seen those guys facing the computers before, and the ammo doors you go into are probably why I remembered doors+ammo. I'm going to call this one solved. Thank you all for playing!