Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!

KingKapalone posted:

Yep the tri-band is with the router. I'm looking at the network remotely via the App and I don't see a way to set two SSIDs. Wifi mode is in Mixed. It looks like most of the devices are connected via 2.4Ghz meaning they're only getting N speeds. I found this thread saying that the devices should auto connect to the "best" broadcast https://community.linksys.com/t5/Velop-Whole-Home-Wi-Fi/How-to-change-wifi-mode-from-mixed-to-ac-and-change-the-channel/td-p/1160009 It does look like via a browser I can setup both SSIDs and then just force everything to connect to the AC 5Ghz one.

Shouldn't N be fast enough to never buffer on netflix or similar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

threeagainstfour posted:

I'm also heading into a crawl space to run some cat6 through my house.

Any tips from anyone as far as protective gear I should wear? I'm mostly worried about potential black widow bites as I am in southern California.

Depends on how dirty your crawlspace is frankly, I tend to use a mechanics jumpsuit because it's what I have, I'm under there a decent amount, and it's washable - but a disposable Tyvek suit would work great too if you don't imagine being under their often. I wouldn't really worry about black widows unless you know you have an significant quantity of them or are going to be actively disturbing tons of webs. In my experience (east SF bay area) where we routinely get widows outside, I have never seen one in my crawlspace - they always tend to be other types of spiders.
Unless your crawlspace is totally webbed in you should be fine - so it will be more about how dirty you are willing to get to do the job. Regardless, a set of Tyvek coveralls should protect you from both dirt and spiders at the same time.

Also, those of you worried about your cat6 getting eaten by rodents....maybe you should pay more attention to pest exclusion than running your cat6 in metal conduit. Based on the mass damage to our waste pipes, HVAC ductwork, and insulation, rats owned our house at one point before we bought it, and we have had zero problems since paying attention to their ingress points. I have tons of cat6 running bare suspended from my floor joists with no problems for 5+ years. Rats will gently caress up way more in your house than just your network cable - better to stop them to begin with than to harden a (relatively) non-critical part of your home infrastructure.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
Has anyone that was using pfSense made the switch to OPNsense, and was it worth it? Can you import your previous config file into OPNsense, and is it in active development?

I feel like making the switch at the weekend but I don't want to switch over to a project that devs lose interest in and loses traction. I think it's the Wireguard support that's enticing me.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

apropos man posted:

Has anyone that was using pfSense made the switch to OPNsense, and was it worth it? Can you import your previous config file into OPNsense, and is it in active development?

I feel like making the switch at the weekend but I don't want to switch over to a project that devs lose interest in and loses traction. I think it's the Wireguard support that's enticing me.

I’ve considered making the switch, so researched it enough to know that yes, switching is easy. Just export a non-encrypted pfSense backup and import it into OPN section by section.

I also thought about switching for Wireguard support, but the pf dev’s views here are rational: Wireguard is nice, but hasn’t been audited yet. I have functioning OpenVPN configurations for all the tunnels I need, so Wireguard isn’t a necessity, even if it might be faster and easier to configure. I will likely wait and let OPN continue to improve. It has shown no signs of stagnating, and the pf devs are always months away from some new controversy that will drive users from the platform.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I've got a Lenovo M92P tiny desktop that I got cheap a while back and threw Proxmox on it to start playing with. I'd like to get some sort of backup solution going but not sure the route to take. The PC only has one drive bay which is my 480gb SSD but I'd like to expand a bit more. Not planning on putting tv shows or movies or anything like that, mostly important personal stuff and pictures. Can I get away with going the USB 3 route or would I be better off getting a NAS and throwing a few drives in there? What about the personal cloud storage externals you can get at Best Buy?

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I'd like to take advantage of my fiber connection and host a web server and Gitea instance on one of my machines. The options on the AT&T provided router are god-awful in terms of configuration, I can't figure out a way to just forward a particular port to the server instead of having everything passthrough to the machine. Is a UniFi Security Gateway worth it here for ensuring I don't get owned? I'd like something braindead rather than loving with iptables forever.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Got a free update to 400mbps and I am officially at the speed where I dont think my wifi devices will get the fulls speed, which is silly. Tested on my 2014 MBP and MacBook Air, both top out at 250mbps. I have a USG and AC Lites, but is 250mbps about the max to expect?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

muon posted:

I'd like to take advantage of my fiber connection and host a web server and Gitea instance on one of my machines. The options on the AT&T provided router are god-awful in terms of configuration, I can't figure out a way to just forward a particular port to the server instead of having everything passthrough to the machine. Is a UniFi Security Gateway worth it here for ensuring I don't get owned? I'd like something braindead rather than loving with iptables forever.

If yours is at all like mine, you're looking for Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ.

Just add user-defined applications to map specific ports to specific machines. You can't fully bypass the AT&T router ever, so I'm just living with it. Its wifi is bad, so I'm using Uni-Fi WAPs.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
UniFi still has a readymade exception for Active Worlds!? It's 2019

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

Twerk from Home posted:

If yours is at all like mine, you're looking for Settings -> Firewall -> Applications, Pinholes, and DMZ.

Just add user-defined applications to map specific ports to specific machines. You can't fully bypass the AT&T router ever, so I'm just living with it. Its wifi is bad, so I'm using Uni-Fi WAPs.

Ah dang, mine's different but it was under NAT/Gaming. ty ty

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

KKKLIP ART posted:

Got a free update to 400mbps and I am officially at the speed where I dont think my wifi devices will get the fulls speed, which is silly. Tested on my 2014 MBP and MacBook Air, both top out at 250mbps. I have a USG and AC Lites, but is 250mbps about the max to expect?

Shooting from the hip here, but on my ERX I had to enable hwnat and some other stuff to fully utilize my 1 gig.

Also, for what it’s worth, loads of stuff peak around 250mbit on my similar setup.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

Anyone with Spectrum know the lindens they typically install for their 400mbps tier? They are giving me a free speed bump which also has a modem upgrade. I know some might still have the Puma chips?

They usually like to give out pretty decent DOCSIS 3.1 eMTAs these days, typically one of 3 mostly-identical models by different brands (Ubee, Technicolor, Hitron).

Noteworthy differences:
The Ubee version has accessible diagnostics. The Hitron version has a Puma 7 chipset, if you're concerned, but it shouldn't have nearly as many issues as the Puma 6 did.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

KKKLIP ART posted:

You should be getting more on your 2014 MBP as it has 3x3 MIMO, here's my old clunker Late 2013 rMBP on my 400 mbps:

This is with an AEBS 802.11ac running the latest Apple 7.9.1 firmware. (It's still getting security / firmware updates even though it was killed back in April 2018, and the last update was 2 months ago!)

Also, AC Lites only have 2x2 MIMO which may also be a limiting factor. You'd have to get an AC PRO or AC LR to get 3x3 MIMO.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jul 27, 2019

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The maximum PHY speed on 2x2 802.11n is 300Mbps so getting 250Mbps IP throughput on that is really good. As above, you'd need a 3x3 radio which can theoretically run at 450Mbps.

Or just try and find out why those devices aren't connecting to a 5GHz 802.11ac SSID.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

The maximum PHY speed on 2x2 802.11n is 300Mbps so getting 250Mbps IP throughput on that is really good. As above, you'd need a 3x3 radio which can theoretically run at 450Mbps.

Or just try and find out why those devices aren't connecting to a 5GHz 802.11ac SSID.

Yeah this seems to be the issue. I’m not really chuffed about it because it was a free boost and I’m not really in a position to buy an AC Pro, but google tells me that the Pro would pretty much give me full speed. Good to know!

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

RocketLunatic posted:

AirPort Extremes do just work, but grab a TP-Link A7. It’s on sale and worst case scenario, you send it back. You can still use the Extreme to extend your network too, but I think you will notice some better range and responsiveness. It’s the advice on the first page and it’s good.

Wireless routers always have a mix of reviews because there are so many variables. Where do you place the router? How do you set it up? What do you hope is fixed with a newer router (speed, range, etc)? Some people have bad experiences for those reasons. It is frustrating to read reviews and feel like you are rolling the dice.

Is this the modem you referenced?

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Is this the modem you referenced?

Yes! The A9 is the next step up. You can also find renewed versions if you want to save a few bucks.

I've been impressed with TP-Link's firmware. It's fast and as easy as others to setup.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Other than a Raspberry Pi, what’s the next cheapest way to run the UniFi software assuming I want it to be hard wired?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

KKKLIP ART posted:

Other than a Raspberry Pi, what’s the next cheapest way to run the UniFi software assuming I want it to be hard wired?

Do you mean Raspberry Pi specifically or generically (as in: any small ARM-based SBC)?

If you want actual hardware you could use the Cloud Key (the older one is like 100 bucks), if you have any sort of virtualization you could also just spin it up in a VM whenever you need it?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Adopt the devices to :yaybutt:

https://hostifi.net/#free-plan-0

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I'm concerned their founder might be a :godwinning: though?

:ohdear:

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

RocketLunatic posted:

Yes! The A9 is the next step up. You can also find renewed versions if you want to save a few bucks.

I've been impressed with TP-Link's firmware. It's fast and as easy as others to setup.

Should I get it with mu-mimo?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I'm concerned their founder might be a :godwinning: though?

:ohdear:

Because he's white or is there some hidden nazi thing I don't see?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

I mean in general that’s a pretty trendy haircut but there is a really large contingent of the alt-right has that style hair cut. Like all of them.

But that might be a really good option.

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Should I get it with mu-mimo?

I got confused at that option too. I think the non mu-mimo ones are the older models? I'd say go with the mu-mimo option, as it is supposed to help when you have multiple devices streaming.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

VelociBacon posted:

The haircut. It is a nazi haircut.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

tuyop posted:

The haircut. It is a nazi haircut.

This is getting silly. It's a pretty common haircut.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Lambert posted:

This is getting silly. It's a pretty common haircut.

🤔

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
poo poo.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

It's about as accurate as saying a skinhead is a nazi haircut.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Party Boat posted:

It's about as accurate as saying a skinhead is a nazi haircut.

I wouldn't buy hosting from a skinhead, either?

:shrug:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

:ok:

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Please help. I have a stupid network problem.

At work, we built a network that's connecting 2 Macs (one Macbook Pro and one Mac Pro) and 5 projectors all threw one switch. The projectors have LAN control and its what we use to turn them on and off and monitor temperatures.

Everything is working as it should. The Macbook Pro is being used for the control and temperature monitoring of the projectors. The problem is when I connect my Windows laptop to that switch (ethernet) I can not access the projectors on my Windows laptop. Everything is still working, but my PC can't connect to anything. I checked and my PC is sending some packets, but it's not receiving anything. And just to make sure it's not something with my laptop and ethernet, I plugged it into my home network and I can log in to my router with the IP address at I should.

I'm stumped because I think it should just work...but doesn't. If someone has a thought or needs more information to try and help, please let me know. This is really pissing me off now.

Here's a lovely network diagram of the system.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Please help. I have a stupid network problem.

At work, we built a network that's connecting 2 Macs (one Macbook Pro and one Mac Pro) and 5 projectors all threw one switch. The projectors have LAN control and its what we use to turn them on and off and monitor temperatures.

Everything is working as it should. The Macbook Pro is being used for the control and temperature monitoring of the projectors. The problem is when I connect my Windows laptop to that switch (ethernet) I can not access the projectors on my Windows laptop. Everything is still working, but my PC can't connect to anything. I checked and my PC is sending some packets, but it's not receiving anything. And just to make sure it's not something with my laptop and ethernet, I plugged it into my home network and I can log in to my router with the IP address at I should.

I'm stumped because I think it should just work...but doesn't. If someone has a thought or needs more information to try and help, please let me know. This is really pissing me off now.

Here's a lovely network diagram of the system.

Is your laptop by chance configured with a static IP address for your home network that has a different subnet than your work network?

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

astral posted:

Is your laptop by chance configured with a static IP address for your home network that has a different subnet than your work network?

IPv4 and 6 are both set to "Obtain an IPvX address automatically."

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

IndianaZoidberg posted:

And where's your DHCP server in all this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Print out your interface configs on all 3 devices and compare/contrast. Post them here if you like. Assuming it's all RFC1918 space there is nothing really to redact.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

bolind posted:

And where's your DHCP server in all this?

There isn't one...?

H110Hawk posted:

Print out your interface configs on all 3 devices and compare/contrast. Post them here if you like. Assuming it's all RFC1918 space there is nothing really to redact.

I think I know what most of those words mean, but that's where it ends for me. So...wat?

My networking knowledge is limited and the network in question was "built" by my coworkers. It works just fine on all the Macs we have, but just not my PC. I asked my original question to a few other people and someone said:

quote:

OSX can (and automatically does) act as a router when plugged into a network that doesn't already have one. Windows does not.

my assumption is that your network is missing pieces; but the macs never cared.

If that is true, can I access this on my PC by just adding a router in between the switch and my PC? Part of me thinks that sounds stupid, but might it work? If that's all it needs, I buy a cheap router.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

IndianaZoidberg posted:

There isn't one...?

I think I know what most of those words mean, but that's where it ends for me. So...wat?

My networking knowledge is limited and the network in question was "built" by my coworkers. It works just fine on all the Macs we have, but just not my PC. I asked my original question to a few other people and someone said:

If that is true, can I access this on my PC by just adding a router in between the switch and my PC? Part of me thinks that sounds stupid, but might it work? If that's all it needs, I buy a cheap router.

Since this is in an office, I assume the Macs get internet? If so, either they have static IPs, or else the switch connects to something that's providing DHCP (hence 'DHCP server'), either your office's router is doing that (handing out non-static IP addresses) or your office has a main server (such as a domain controller) that is doing the DHCP role.

Click your start button, type the letters cmd and hit Enter. In the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all and hit Enter, then copy and paste everything it spits out here. Feel free to look for your company name in it anywhere and replace it with something benign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Since this is in an office, I assume the Macs get internet? If so, either they have static IPs, or else the switch connects to something that's providing DHCP (hence 'DHCP server'), either your office's router is doing that (handing out non-static IP addresses) or your office has a main server (such as a domain controller) that is doing the DHCP role.

Click your start button, type the letters cmd and hit Enter. In the black box that pops up, type ipconfig /all and hit Enter, then copy and paste everything it spits out here. Feel free to look for your company name in it anywhere and replace it with something benign.

I'll try that next time I'm on that network. That will be in a day or two. The Macs have internet I think, but its threw wifi. This is littery the entire wired network for this setup.

The projectors are all set to static IPs from 2.0.0.211 threw 2.0.0.216.

I should have been more clear, this is no office. Its a theatre and the projectors are a temporary setup for 3 weeks of performances. Basically, this is a setup that we always use and will continue to use. I just want to make the projector control work threw my PC...because I like money too much to buy a Mac.