Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Carlosologist posted:

Sylvain's ceaseless boner is something to witness in supports :allears:

first he tries to get Byleth back to his room and then Ingrid calls him out in front of everyone, I love this kid

he is a ceaseless horndog but my initial read of "sylvain is the worst" was quickly upended by "felix is the worst". Sylvain's gimmick is annoying but some of his early supports show that he's a good guy underneath, he's just a spoiled rich kid who's never really had to work, but he treats Dedue with respect which is more than I can say of Ingrid. (although there was a scene where my Blue Lions were talking after Flayne gets kidnapped where after both Sylvain and Felix said dumb poo poo that audibly made me groan, and both times Ingrid called them out on their poo poo right after and I remembered why I like her.)

Seriously i like how accurate a lot of these characters are. They're (for the most part) a bunch of spoiled rich/powerful teenagers who sometimes are good, sometimes are bad, but always are sheltered. (except my queen Dorothea who sees through all of their poo poo and is just a cool singing girl who wants to secure a bag, which I respect)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

Megasabin posted:

Do movement gambits like lure not work on mounted units? I can’t move the death knight off his drat avoidance space

Peep his abilities in the details menu, he's immune to being moved.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

yeah, this is a good band of kids, at least on the Black Eagles side

Edie, what did they do to you as a kid :stonk:

At the very least her motivation is realistic

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I’m playing Blue Eagles and am pretty early on. I think I’m spreading my support efforts too thinly, especially on out of House supports, mostly due to indecision. How are you guys choosing out of house people to go after? Any particular powerhouses worth prioritizing? Or just whoever seems interesting?

Also how is everyone building their Byleth. After a few levels of Myrmidon I switched to Monk to get into magic as I felt I could use another magic user, but I’m wondering if I’m just going to create a half rear end character rather than focusing on swords and getting the appropriate stats etc.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Supports in this game are way better than in Fates/Awakening.

I did Blue Eagles first because they seemed the least interesting and I figured it'd be best to do my first "learning" play-through with them, but I've come to like their leader guy a lot.

edit: Thinking I'm going to have my lady-Byleth romance Sylvain because lol

edit2: Am I correct in thinking that the magic-oriented people from other houses are just inherently much harder to recruit due to Byleth not being as inclined to magic?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 29, 2019

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I didn't mind Felix too much because he's usually the straight man to everybody's crazy tendencies (in supports) so it can be pretty amusing sometimes. It usually feels like he's a somewhat angry dad having to deal with crazy children.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I love the final guide question when you find your first beast.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Hey, if you've got Amazon or Twitch Prime you can get 12 months of free Nintendo Switch Online. Handy if you want to enable the game's online features.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ytlaya posted:

edit2: Am I correct in thinking that the magic-oriented people from other houses are just inherently much harder to recruit due to Byleth not being as inclined to magic?

Nah, just raise their supports.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tae posted:

Nah, just raise their supports.

Ah, good. I thought you had to have the skills *and* supports to recruit, not either/or. I'm all bothered by my house members having random A-supports with other house people, which I normally wouldn't care about but unfortunately supports actually have substance in this instead of just being a few exchanged lines.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I was able to immediately recruit Silvain the moment recruiting other characters even became available. I guess because I'm playing female Byleth

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I was able to immediately recruit Silvain the moment recruiting other characters even became available. I guess because I'm playing female Byleth

hahaha that is loving great.

I'm on Chapter 4 and I haven't recruited anybody yet. Is that normal at this juncture? When does everyone else usually start to see acceptances for recruiting to their house?

Also by far the hardest thing about this game is trying to juggle between combat-centric poo poo or magic stuff for a few characters. Lorenz I keep waffling on but might make him a Dark Knight now. Marianne I wanted to make a pegasi rider but if she can't heal on a flying horse then idk anymore.

Banjodark
Jun 10, 2001

Beautiful and good
Punishing with his kindness
Jacob is perfect

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Ditto - picked up that trash bag immediately.

Between him and Lorenz, my frontline is currently the worst pick up artists at the college.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DLC Inc posted:

I'm on Chapter 4 and I haven't recruited anybody yet. Is that normal at this juncture? When does everyone else usually start to see acceptances for recruiting to their house?

Also by far the hardest thing about this game is trying to juggle between combat-centric poo poo or magic stuff for a few characters. Lorenz I keep waffling on but might make him a Dark Knight now. Marianne I wanted to make a pegasi rider but if she can't heal on a flying horse then idk anymore.

Marianne wants into the Holy Knight Class.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

DLC Inc posted:

if you want a peggy make it leonie, marianne is your designated healer

in the late game you can make her a holy knight by chasing after her lance talent

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

deer really have no good pegs but claude can be a wyvern rider. actually raph could probably be one too if you bruteforced him flying, but why would you not have raph punch stuff. i just poached ingrid to be my peg knight.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

if you want a peggy make it leonie, marianne is your designated healer

in the late game you can make her a holy knight by chasing after her lance talent

Leonie currently I have as a Cavalier though I've been putting her on flying lessons too. Marianne probably will just be my pure healer since I don't expect I'm gonna get Mercedes anytime soon.

Lorenz is the guy I keep flipflopping on with soldier/lance stuff or mage/reason. Granted I have Lys for war mage duties so I guess I should train Lorenz in horsies further down the line so he can do Dark Knight. I'm not sweating it too much since things seem open ended and I feel there aren't many wrong choices besides the obvious Weakness skills that you'd have to power through for too long.

Byleth is the only sword guy though since I never really got to making Marianne or Iggy use swords due to squishiness. Not a lot of swordfighting in the Golden Deer.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Why does Ashe require lances, what is this garbage

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

This game is pretty cool! I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I bought this today on a whim and I just sunk over 4 hours in pretty much a single session. I just got to the first "real" mission against the bandits (playing Black Eagles) so I'm probably just scraping the surface so far, but I've got a few questions already:
Is it pretty natural that the PC and the class leader will outshine everyone early on? I've been trying to get other people to deal killing blows, but they both do way more damage than anyone else and it seems like they do two hits instead of one? They're already on 5-6 and I've got hardly anyone else above 2.
Does magic pick up at all? It seems like they all do less damage than an archer and run out of shots halfway through the battle.
How do you rewind battles, or have I just not gotten that far yet? I have no idea how you'd play this game with permadeath -- I couldn't get through either of the practice battles without losing a character or two. It seems really rough that you take damage on both offense and defense, feels like if a melee character takes a single hit then it's hard for them to attack again without being left on low HP.
And is there a way to regain motivation on the students? Some of them always have 4 ticks of motivation for lectures but Dorothea hasn't ever gotten any of them back after a tutoring session. :ohdear:

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Sylvain's pretty excellent since at least in BE, he gets the second Prf weapon after Byleth. Given that he's already predisposed to be a bulky Cav, he can really mess things up with Lance of ruin.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
A good way to get on better footing is to pay attention to enemy ranges and make them come to you in manageable chunks that you can gang up on. Use terrain to your advantage, you're noticeably harder to kill when you're in a bush or something.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Phenotype posted:

This game is pretty cool! I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I bought this today on a whim and I just sunk over 4 hours in pretty much a single session. I just got to the first "real" mission against the bandits (playing Black Eagles) so I'm probably just scraping the surface so far, but I've got a few questions already:
Is it pretty natural that the PC and the class leader will outshine everyone early on? I've been trying to get other people to deal killing blows, but they both do way more damage than anyone else and it seems like they do two hits instead of one? They're already on 5-6 and I've got hardly anyone else above 2.
Does magic pick up at all? It seems like they all do less damage than an archer and run out of shots halfway through the battle.
How do you rewind battles, or have I just not gotten that far yet? I have no idea how you'd play this game with permadeath -- I couldn't get through either of the practice battles without losing a character or two. It seems really rough that you take damage on both offense and defense, feels like if a melee character takes a single hit then it's hard for them to attack again without being left on low HP.
And is there a way to regain motivation on the students? Some of them always have 4 ticks of motivation for lectures but Dorothea hasn't ever gotten any of them back after a tutoring session. :ohdear:

Motivation goes back up when you spend lunch with them (& choir, I assume), return their lost items and when you up their support rank. If you do a weekend seminar, the folks you study with will have their motiviation upped as well.
If Byleth gets MVP on a map, that will also increase motivation of everyone deployed with them.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Phenotype posted:

- you get to attack twice if you have 4 more AS than whoever you're fighting. AS is affected by your speed and how heavy your weapon is, so keep an eye on that stuff. you'll see situations where you're technically doing more damage with a 'weaker' weapon because the stronger heavier weapon stops you from attacking twice
- magic gets plenty good. you don't have a lot of uses early on but as you rank up your reason/faith and get into the more magically specialized classes you'll have way more uses than you need per map
- rewinding is activated with ZL, but i think you have to wait for sothis to explain it to you before it's unlocked
- motivation gets regained from doing stuff with the character while in exploration mode (eating food with them, inviting them to tea, giving them gifts/lost items)

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Dorothea is immediately made even better once you get the Levin Sword

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Yo how crazy OP is it that Pegasus Knights can dismount to remove their archery weakness, and then remount when the danger is gone? I've always loved the fliers, and now this makes them the best unit!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nucular Carmul posted:

Yo how crazy OP is it that Pegasus Knights can dismount to remove their archery weakness, and then remount when the danger is gone? I've always loved the fliers, and now this makes them the best unit!
this mechanic is from fe5 but in fe5 mounted units were forcibly dismounted indoors so fliers were actually pretty rough in that game since the last like 6 chapters were netirely indoors.

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Carlosologist posted:

yeah, this is a good band of kids, at least on the Black Eagles side

Edie, what did they do to you as a kid :stonk:

At the very least her motivation is realistic

I literally just got this support five minutes ago

I don't know how the hell I'm gonna bring myself to side against her in my second BE run

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Tae posted:

Hold on, I just saw someone else do the Dorathea/Ingrid paralogue and they got a relic weapon instead of a ring. Is that weapon route exclusive or something?

It was pretty fun to notice I had 4 relic weapons in chapter 6. Go team blue lions!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Endorph posted:

this mechanic is from fe5 but in fe5 mounted units were forcibly dismounted indoors so fliers were actually pretty rough in that game since the last like 6 chapters were entirely indoors.

I see, I didn't know that, I'm a johnny come lately from the old veteran's perspective, but I've been playing since the GBA ones.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
And nobody played FE5 and also cavaliers were "social knights" and

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Something I really appreciate is even the poached kids still like have interchapter dialogue talking about why they stuck with you on routes that go against their original house. Some of it is really interesting and it would have been so easy to just have them be mostly mute.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i liked the wyvern rider in fe5 that got a magic lance that he couldnt use in endgame because when he dismounted he was swodlocked

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I almost wanna compare it to Persona. Like, hey, we're social link 10, Yosuke, do you have anything to say about your new perspective as we head into this new palace that seems to be about... A GAY GUY??? No? Ok.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like that this game seems to have used up about as many resources writing-wise as fates or awakening but rather than using it to paint a big cast in a lot of broad strokes they used it to make a fairly small cast really fleshed out. even hanneman has a lot of backstory details and a solid support list. i havent done blue lions route yet but i imagine even gilbert of all people has a decent number of supports. its pretty cool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Edit: btw, did anyone ever figure out of support points are wasted on charters who are capped in Part 1?

I currently have four support pairs ready to go as soon as the timeskip hits in part 1, so at the very least, you can go one farther than the cap.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I just got to the second part of the game, and seeing all the new designs is really cool. I'm glad I didn't accidentally spoil it for myself.

Mercedes's hat looks stupid as hell, though.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Playing Golden Deer to start.

Lorentz sucks. His speed and defense are trash. He's going to get dropped hard for Cyril.

Ignatz is a mysterious monster. I'm on Chapter 5 I think. End of the 10th month. Somehow he excels with bows, swords and reason. He's the only student I've managed to put into 2 intermediate classes and next month he's going to unlock archer in case I need the extra range.

Claude is a loving monster, as is Lysithea.

If Raphael isn't punching things, you're doing it wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only skills worth mastering in intermediate seems like Deathblow and Fiendish Blow. Mages have it easier, but some physicals are screwed out of it unless you sacrifice time to go into axes.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

lol just lol if you aren't teaching as many of your kids as possible to be Punch Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
I want to get Byleth to C rank in Lances quick to pick up Leonie quickly, what's the best way to do this since Seminars apparently aren't that great?