Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hundreds of new items too, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Zereth posted:

It lets you move them to another housing area NOW instead of assigning them and then walking away and hoping that works.

I think some of the armor set combinations (which are now off in a separate mod) need paintings from the painter from all kinds of biomes including ones that don't let you house NPCs there, so it's handy for that.

i just cheat in those paintings if i know i can access them. i got poo poo to do

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Patware posted:

i just cheat in those paintings if i know i can access them. i got poo poo to do

I'm running thorium, calamity, and a bunch of other stuff and looked at the NPC list. I like base building, but holy poo poo. It was daunting.to the point of feeling that 'i don't want to...." Dread. At which point I remembered that I have cheat sheet installed and could just pop in an apartment complex.

Good lord did that help.

I'll probably build out a base on the surface I like and then link up a teleporter and put a few necessary NPCs in the base with me up top and leave the rest hidden wherever.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

It is idiot how handy cheat sheet is for both managing a large number of mods, and just for fast QoL stuff after you’ve wrung the game dry for content and just want to build homes or use the paint feature for prebuilds

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
The game needs to include a split personality mod where the player only has to speak to one NPC to interact with all of them and just chooses which one from a menu. Obviously if that one character dies it's a bitch, but that's the trade off. The guide should probably separate for obvious reasons. Ben Shapiro should die no matter what, on all levels of reality.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

There’s a mod to murder npc and extract their souls into turn npcs into vending machines which kind of helps with that issue. I think it only works with vanilla ones tho

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

wait they're improving the smart cursor? how?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

wait they're improving the smart cursor? how?

The main thing seems to be syncing it up to work properly in multiplayer

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So are they rolling 1.3.6 into 1.4 or did I miss a release or do I not know what I'm talking about?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Alloran posted:

So are they rolling 1.3.6 into 1.4 or did I miss a release or do I not know what I'm talking about?

1.3.6 was apparently the working name/cover for 1.4

watho
Aug 2, 2013

It was more like the more they worked on 1.3.6 the more they realized that this was going to be a major update instead

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Holy poo poo have you guys seen the Terraria Overhaul mod?

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-overhaul-gameplay-enhancements-and-much-more.60369/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzSHEZlFOA

It looks dope as gently caress and it might just tide me over until 1.4 releases. Doesn't look like it's compatible with other mods but JESUS...

E: Oh wait it's compatible with thorium!

Ass_Burgerer fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jul 25, 2019

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Overhaul is kind of the brutal doom of terraria, or at least it was. Never played with it because it made fire spread and added thunder which started fires. It also added awful screams of agony whenever the character got set on fire

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

watho posted:

Overhaul is kind of the brutal doom of terraria, or at least it was. Never played with it because it made fire spread and added thunder which started fires. It also added awful screams of agony whenever the character got set on fire

I tried it and yes, after my first uncontrolled fire I uninstalled it.
The screams. They just kept going on.

It also conflicted with a lot of other mods.

I'll probably try it again at some point, though the things it did to movement I didn't like at all.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I don't care for it, Overhaul doesn't add any waifus.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Are the waifus standalone? Cause if that's your criteria then you can only play Calamity.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Crimson Harvest posted:

Are the waifus standalone? Cause if that's your criteria then you can only play Calamity.
Hey don't be dissing the Cobbler like

*googles to figure out what mod the cobbler is from*

Don't be dissing the Cobbler like that!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The cobbler is thorium, right?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Holy poo poo have you guys seen the Terraria Overhaul mod?

https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-overhaul-gameplay-enhancements-and-much-more.60369/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOzSHEZlFOA

It looks dope as gently caress and it might just tide me over until 1.4 releases. Doesn't look like it's compatible with other mods but JESUS...

E: Oh wait it's compatible with thorium!

Note how the 'teaser' video constantly cuts in and out and doesn't show any real combat, let alone starting out combat. My only experience with that mod was for a couple hours and it is the embodiment of loving tedium.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Lowered jump height so you have to climb everything, fire becoming horribly powerful and making the underworld basically one hit kill you if you get lit on fire, and also even with the music changes turned off, it still breaks the ingame music really badly. i just want to take out the gun and bow bits, and scrap the rest.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ambaire posted:

Note how the 'teaser' video constantly cuts in and out and doesn't show any real combat, let alone starting out combat. My only experience with that mod was for a couple hours and it is the embodiment of loving tedium.

Yeah it made just interacting with the game on a basic level tedious enough in the early stages that I can't imagine trying to deal with hardmode stuff with how it handles combat.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

watho posted:

The cobbler is thorium, right?

yeah i just realized midpost i didn't know what mod it was from and wanted to make sure it wasn't calamity as that would've ruined the post.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

so is that overhaul mod the gregtech of terraria, then

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Johnny Joestar posted:

so is that overhaul mod the gregtech of terraria, then

Eh. Minecraft Gregtech is actually playable and Gregtech New Horizons is some of the best fun I've ever had with Modded Minecraft.

Terraria Overhaul is more of a "let's see what happens if I make this like real life but with the controls of QWOP and also super gently caress you tedious and painful."

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Overhaul is like, 4 cool things overshadowed by about 20 bad ones.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zoig posted:

That was my impression which is why I didn't bother with it too.

Speaking of bother, TML a major update a few weeks ago, and so the modding scene right now is a mess, there are compatibility issues left and right between the mods that have updated already, and those that have not updated as they're waiting for the bugs introduced in the latest version of TML to be fixed, and those that are not going to be updated at all because they're basically abandoned (e.g. Spirit).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zoig posted:

Yeah I remember when I tried it, I turned off like 90% of the features. And what was left felt cool, like in terms of gunshot sounds and the like, but were actually weaker and more ineffectual than ever.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hows the terraria-like game "It Lurks Below"? Checked the wiki for it and seems like it's different and could be interesting, wondering if anyone else tried it.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Ambaire posted:

Eh. Minecraft Gregtech is actually playable and Gregtech New Horizons is some of the best fun I've ever had with Modded Minecraft.

Terraria Overhaul is more of a "let's see what happens if I make this like real life but with the controls of QWOP and also super gently caress you tedious and painful."

Oh did gregtech get better at some point?

I just remember it just making a bunch of recipes (from other mods?) obnoxiously grindy for like no reason.

Though in fairness to it iirc there was an option in its config to undo it so the author clearly understood that the changes werent for everyone, making him better than the modder responsible for gategate.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Hows the terraria-like game "It Lurks Below"? Checked the wiki for it and seems like it's different and could be interesting, wondering if anyone else tried it.

It tries to be more Diablo-like but there's not enough depth to the combat for that, the building is very shallow and it has an annoying hunger system. Also its terribly short on content atm.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
check back on it in three years, got it

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Clever Spambot posted:

Oh did gregtech get better at some point?

I just remember it just making a bunch of recipes (from other mods?) obnoxiously grindy for like no reason.

Though in fairness to it iirc there was an option in its config to undo it so the author clearly understood that the changes werent for everyone, making him better than the modder responsible for gategate.

Gregtech is an entire modpack in itself these days. Check out the official wiki if you like, as well as the electricity and ore generation pages. And the 'beginners' guide for GT New Horizons. It's 1.7.10, but still well worth playing.

technic page for the modpack posted:

What is GT New Horizons?

You are looking at a big progressive kitchensink pack for Minecraft 1.7.10 balanced around the mod GregTech. Over 3 years of development (and still going) have formed a balance and refinement that only a handful of packs can keep up with. We are talking about thousands of recipe tweaks, a massive questbook with custom reward system, unique world generation, custom mods coded for the pack, custom Thauminomicon pages, and many more.

The main intentions of the pack are a long lasting experience and tying mods together in a progressive fashion, making it feel more like a single game than a compilation of mods thrown together. To reach this goal GT New Horizons is using the tiers (basically ages of technology) from GregTech and allocates content of other mods to a fitting point within the progression. Starting in the stone age you will barely be able to survive until you get your first steam machines and eventually reach electricity. Later on you will have to visit other planets and dimensions to gather important resources and fight mighty bosses to channel their magical power.

If you are fan of expert mode packs and want to take it to the next level this pack will be your friend!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

check back on it in three years, got it
It's in active development and things are changing frequently. Like last I checked it had just massively changed how farming worked.

It was a bit shallow, though, and I didn't see anything glancing at patch notes occasionally which indicated that had substantially changed yet.

EDIT: I think what I'm saying is "Check back in closer to one year"

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Ambaire posted:

Gregtech is an entire modpack in itself these days. Check out the official wiki if you like, as well as the electricity and ore generation pages. And the 'beginners' guide for GT New Horizons. It's 1.7.10, but still well worth playing.
There's a ton of modern packs that use Gregtech to good effect too. Omnifactory's a great example.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
Is Hytale worth keeping on the radar? It looks like it might be a real video game.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Crimson Harvest posted:

Is Hytale worth keeping on the radar? It looks like it might be a real video game.

Oooo haven't checked on that for months, has anyone else?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
They haven't posted on their blog in months because they said they're overextending with announcements/media posts and just need to knuckle down and get game work done so not a lot of talk there, but twitter's been intermittent. I still have high hopes, but as with any game like this all you can do is wait and see.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I haven't heard of it before but it looks like it might be good, if they pull it off?

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
I was going to ask before I checked and I guess there is a mod called Banner Bonanza and man, I really wish/hope that vanilla gets a banner item that lets you carry 1-5+banners at all times depending on tier. Ever since they were implemented I've wanted to be able to have something to give you banner bonuses other than making bunker holdouts or finding a free block to place a banner when poo poo's going south, if you're lucky enough to have it, because otherwise they're just inventory hogs while I'm exploring. I don't think Relogic is going to make it so in 1.4 but goddamn that's one of the things I've wanted most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Banners seem to be mostly useful for things where you'll be staying in one spot, like the Blood/Frost/Spooky Moons, or the Solar Eclipse, or the invasions. Where you can build an arena and then fight whatever it is while in the arena.

Not so much the pillar events unless you have four sets thanks to each pillar showing up in a random slot out of the four places, and by the time you've farmed four sets you probably don't need them anymore.